daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 4.88 average.
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #501
norra sorgenfri
Registered User
 
norra sorgenfri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicity82 View Post
I noticed you haven't included the famous 'Blue' tower?
I noticed in another thread that you are not a fan of the blue building, so I didn't dare mentioning it Truth be told it was the first tall building to catch my eye when I walked around the city, and to a temporary visitor it's kind of cute from a distance. But I understand it was altered in some not so favourable way some time back, I'm guessing to make it more merry? Would love to se a pic from before the alteration.
norra sorgenfri no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #502
norra sorgenfri
Registered User
 
norra sorgenfri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lears City View Post
There are plenty of other Richard III connections, which the visitor centre should make more of.
Agreed.

Before we found the entrance we ended up in the Social Services parking space, and hit the wall of the visitor centre from behind, so to speak. But overall we found the visitor center cleverly executed, re: the new additions to the older building on the site and with the car park discovery integrated.

The bit about the skeleton find, the controversy around it and the image of Richard III and the scientific research was the most interesting I think. The historical bit was a little too conventional and, as you point out, doesn't explore/deepen the connections to local history. Although it's easy enough for the visitor to explore further, it would have been in it's place.
norra sorgenfri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #503
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?
 
Leicity82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: City of Leicester, UK
Posts: 9,415
Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by norra sorgenfri View Post
I noticed in another thread that you are not a fan of the blue building, so I didn't dare mentioning it Truth be told it was the first tall building to catch my eye when I walked around the city, and to a temporary visitor it's kind of cute from a distance. But I understand it was altered in some not so favourable way some time back, I'm guessing to make it more merry? Would love to se a pic from before the alteration.
I like the building itself, but not what has been done to it. Hopefully the new darker blue and the removal of the hideous coloured window panels will help.

This is the building before the changes:


Images are from the 'Emporis' website: http://www.emporis.com/building/st-g...united-kingdom
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Come on Leicester lurkers, join the forum!
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #504
norra sorgenfri
Registered User
 
norra sorgenfri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicity82 View Post
I like the building itself
I see what you mean. The lightness of the building, with the bands of windows, has been lost in transformation. What was it's original use, with the closed tower beside?
norra sorgenfri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #505
Lears City
Look there, look there!
 
Lears City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Leicester
Posts: 6,733
Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by norra sorgenfri View Post
Agreed.

Before we found the entrance we ended up in the Social Services parking space, and hit the wall of the visitor centre from behind, so to speak. But overall we found the visitor center cleverly executed, re: the new additions to the older building on the site and with the car park discovery integrated.

The bit about the skeleton find, the controversy around it and the image of Richard III and the scientific research was the most interesting I think. The historical bit was a little too conventional and, as you point out, doesn't explore/deepen the connections to local history. Although it's easy enough for the visitor to explore further, it would have been in it's place.
Your experience is how I imagined it would be for a visitor to the city. There was an opportunity before the visitor centre was built, to open up an entrance from New Street.

With a car park and a plot of vacant land at Southgates, there was a real chance to develop something special that tied the Old Town together. Greyfriar's could have been reconnected with the Castle Precinct.

It would also have provided a massive boost for the Greyfriar's area.

Sadly an opportunity missed...
Lears City está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #506
Lears City
Look there, look there!
 
Lears City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Leicester
Posts: 6,733
Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by norra sorgenfri View Post
I see what you mean. The lightness of the building, with the bands of windows, has been lost in transformation. What was it's original use, with the closed tower beside?
I think the Post Office and British Telecom have been the previous occupants.
Lears City está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #507
norra sorgenfri
Registered User
 
norra sorgenfri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lears City View Post
There was an opportunity before the visitor centre was built, to open up an entrance from New Street.

With a car park and a plot of vacant land at Southgates, there was a real chance to develop something special that tied the Old Town together.
Yes, when we went on the suggested Richard III-walk, we wanted to go that (logical) way but hit a construction site (?). Maybe this is the car park/vacant lot you mention? Instead we had to do a detour - as you point out it would be coherent to link the visitor centre/Greyfriars to the area around the castle. The outlines of the old town seems to have been lost in a typical way, by placing big roads on top of it. What are the plans for this area now, seeing some development going on in the car park/vacant lot between New Street and Southgates? Surely the plans will aim at reconnecting the separated parts of the old town?
norra sorgenfri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #508
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?
 
Leicity82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: City of Leicester, UK
Posts: 9,415
Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by norra sorgenfri View Post
Yes, when we went on the suggested Richard III-walk, we wanted to go that (logical) way but hit a construction site (?). Maybe this is the car park/vacant lot you mention? Instead we had to do a detour - as you point out it would be coherent to link the visitor centre/Greyfriars to the area around the castle. The outlines of the old town seems to have been lost in a typical way, by placing big roads on top of it. What are the plans for this area now, seeing some development going on in the car park/vacant lot between New Street and Southgates? Surely the plans will aim at reconnecting the separated parts of the old town?
This is what is planned in the immediate future:
http://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-cou...ge-initiative/

For the Southgates bus depot site itself, are planned student flats! For which most of us in here are not too keen on.
See: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...hp?p=102566997
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Come on Leicester lurkers, join the forum!
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #509
norra sorgenfri
Registered User
 
norra sorgenfri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicity82 View Post
This is what is planned in the immediate future.
Thanks Leicity82 for the update! It will be interesting to follow this and see what happens up to March next year. There will be some action in this area, with a lot of visitors trying to follow the traces of RIII. In the prospect there is not much talk in terms of stråk (Swedish word, I can't find a good one in English, maybe swath, artery, passage). New walk is a good stråk, a passage you immediately understand leads somewhere even if you're not familiar with it. And there are things to explore along the way + a lot of people, to keep you interested in strolling along. The area around the Cathedral/Greyfriars going Southwest has a potential of becoming an artery/passage not entirely built on commercial but also historic/cultural values. Hope the city takes the opportunity!
norra sorgenfri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #510
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?
 
Leicity82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: City of Leicester, UK
Posts: 9,415
Likes (Received): 50

New Walk more or less reaches the Old Town when it reaches Welford Place. There was previous talk of expanding it towards the waterside, but not sure how far that will go.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Come on Leicester lurkers, join the forum!
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #511
Refresh01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 131
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norra sorgenfri View Post
Thanks Leicity82 for the update! It will be interesting to follow this and see what happens up to March next year. There will be some action in this area, with a lot of visitors trying to follow the traces of RIII. In the prospect there is not much talk in terms of stråk (Swedish word, I can't find a good one in English, maybe swath, artery, passage). New walk is a good stråk, a passage you immediately understand leads somewhere even if you're not familiar with it. And there are things to explore along the way + a lot of people, to keep you interested in strolling along. The area around the Cathedral/Greyfriars going Southwest has a potential of becoming an artery/passage not entirely built on commercial but also historic/cultural values. Hope the city takes the opportunity!
I think 'boulevard' or promenade is probably the best fit for what you describe. (Like a lot of English words, we've tended to steal them from the French!) As Leicity says, Pocklington's Walk and Greyfriars is a natural extension of New Walk and it has some lovely architecture. The general flow of pedestrian traffic however heads off down Market Street instead, heading towards St Martin's Square (this route too has some nice architecture). I can't see this changing any time soon, especially with the new public square that will be created by removing the old indoor market.
Refresh01 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #512
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?
 
Leicity82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: City of Leicester, UK
Posts: 9,415
Likes (Received): 50

New RIII documentary on channel 4 (tonight at 9pm) about research into his lifestyle, etc:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/n...-iiis-skeleton
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Come on Leicester lurkers, join the forum!
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 01:15 PM   #513
Lears City
Look there, look there!
 
Lears City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Leicester
Posts: 6,733
Likes (Received): 56

I find it remarkable that the council are doing this, AFTER they approved the dreadful Southgates student development?

Quote:
Plans to protect Leicester's historic heart from intrusive development
By danjmartin | Posted: October 03, 2014

People are to be asked for their views on plans to preserve the historic heart of Leicester from unwanted development.

The city council is to carry out a six-week consultation on suggested changes to the Guildhall and Cathedral conservation area.

The St Martin’s part of the city centre is currently covered by the conservation area.

That means mean there are guidelines which planning officers can turn to if they are looking to prevent new building that does not fit in with the wider character of the area. The areas are designed to protect special historic or architectural qualities.

More than £1.5 million could be spent improving Leicester's historic streets
The two existing areas are to be renamed the Greyfriars conservation area after the abbey which once stood there and was the resting place for Richard III’s remains.

Buildings in St Martin’s have had conservation area protection since 1969.

The Guildhall and Cathedral conservation area currently has its boundaries on Guildhall Lane, Loseby Lane and Grey Friars, Friar Lane, and Southgates, Peacock Lane and Carey’s Close.

It includes Leicester Cathedral and the medieval Guildhall

The council wants to extend these boundaries into Millstone Lane.

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said: “This area of the city contains some of Leicester’s architectural treasures and many of its most historically important buildings, streets and spaces.

“The discovery of King Richard’s bones has completely changed the way that we now understand the history and significance of this area.

“The area has already been dramatically enhanced by the beautiful Cathedral Gardens and the new King Richard III Visitor Centre.

“By reviewing and expanding the conservation area, we can help ensure that this important part of the city continues to develop in ways that protect its unique character for future generations.”

The council is also awaiting the outcome of a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund for more than £1milllion to help improve properties in part of the proposed Greyfriars conservation area.

The scheme – called the Greyfriars Townscape Heritage Initiative – will make grants, advice and other support available to businesses, property owners and community groups to repair and restore buildings in the area.

This will include support to reinstate lost architectural features such as original windows, fencing and decorative masonry, or bring empty floor space back into use.

People can comment on the proposals for the new Greyfriars conservation area from Monday by visiting www.leicester.gov.uk/haveyoursay

There will also be an opportunity to discuss the plans at a drop-in event at St Martins House, 7 Peacock Lane, on Thursday October 30,

The consultation closes on Monday November 17.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Pl...#ixzz3F4z4uqHC
Lears City está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:24 PM   #514
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?
 
Leicity82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: City of Leicester, UK
Posts: 9,415
Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lears City View Post
I find it remarkable that the council are doing this, AFTER they approved the dreadful Southgates student development?
My thoughts exactly!
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Come on Leicester lurkers, join the forum!
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:38 PM   #515
Lears City
Look there, look there!
 
Lears City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Leicester
Posts: 6,733
Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
The discovery of King Richard’s bones has completely changed the way that we now understand the history and significance of this area
That bugs me too. He means we as a council forgot the history and significance...
Lears City está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #516
d4mo85
Tent-based twattery.
 
d4mo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 2,406
Likes (Received): 9

Makes me laugh we had to find a medieval King missing for 500 years for such ideas to be proposed.

Why has Leicester been self-loathing for so long?
__________________
The historic City of Leicester
d4mo85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #517
Owlyross
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leicester
Posts: 386
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lears City View Post
That bugs me too. He means we as a council forgot the history and significance...
I think it's more "we didn't have the money so had to accept any old shit, but now we have an internationally famous archaeological attraction to hang things off, suddenly the money has turned up from everywhere."
Owlyross no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #518
candida
Registered User
 
candida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 797
Likes (Received): 2

Richard III reinterment: Details king's final ceremonial route through Leicestershire revealed

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Ri...ail/story.html



Quote:
The ceremonial route that the remains of King Richard III will take as he is transported from the University of Leicester to St Martin’s cathedral before his reinterment has been announced today.

The remains of the king have been held securely at the university following their discovery under a car park in Leicester in August 2012.

On Sunday, March 22, 2015, a hearse will leave the university during the late morning and travel to Fenn Lane Farm, reputedly the site of King Richard’s death, before moving on to nearby village parish churches of Dadlington and Sutton Cheney.

The cortege will visit Dadlington as some of the battle-dead are buried in the churchyard of St James’ the Greater.

Sutton Cheney has been chosen because it is believed that King Richard took his final mass at St James’ church on the eve of the battle.

The Bishop of Leicester, the Rt Revd Tim Stevens, will then lead a short ceremony at the Bosworth Battlefield Heritage Centre in the early afternoon.

The cortege will then go on to Market Bosworth, Newbold Verdon and Desford as it makes its way back to Leicester.

A spokesman for the Leicester Cathedral Quarter Partnership Board said: “We are now working closely with partners in the district and the parishes to plan the detail of how the passing of the cortege will be marked.”

The king’s mortal remains will re-enter the city in mid-afternoon at Bow Bridge, where they will be greeted by the City Mayor Sir Peter Soulsby, and the Lord Mayor Councillor John Thomas.

A horse-drawn hearse will then be used to complete the final section of the king’s journey from Bow Bridge through the city centre to the cathedral, where the Dean of Leicester, the Very Revd David Monteith, will meet the coffin just before 6pm.

Dr Richard Buckley, lead archaeologist in the hunt for Richard’s remains, will then formally pass of the Ministry of Justice licence - granted to the university for the remains of the king - to the Dean of Leicester.

At that point, the responsibility for the king passes from the university to the church.

King Richard’s coffin will be carried into the cathedral for an evening service of Compline, at which the Catholic Archbishop of Westminster, Cardinal Vincent Nichols, will preach the sermon.

King Richard’s remains will lie in repose within the cathedral on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, during which time members of the public will be invited to visit the cathedral to pray and pay their respects.

The re-burial service will take place on Thursday March 26.

Provisional timetable for the day

12.00 Departure from University of Leicester

Pausing at: Fenn Lane Farm, Dadlington, Sutton Cheney churches

14.00 Short ceremony Bosworth Battlefield Heritage Centre

Departure via through Market Bosworth, Newbold Verdon and Desford.

16.00 Bow Bridge event

17.45 Arrival at Leicester Cathedral

18.00 Evening worship (Compline)

Other Events during the week

Monday 23rd to Wednesday 25th: The mortal remains of King Richard III will lie in repose in Leicester Cathedral. The public are welcome to come pray and pay their respects during daylight hours.

Monday 23rd March: Cardinal Nichols will celebrate Mass for the repose of the soul (a ‘Requiem Mass’) for Richard III in Holy Cross Church, the Catholic parish church and Dominican priory in Leicester city centre. The Choir from St Barnabas’ Cathedral, the Cathedral of the Diocese of Nottingham, will sing at this Mass, which will be open to the public.

Thursday 26th March: The mortal remains of Richard III will be re-interred in Leicester Cathedral, with an invited congregation and in the presence of the Most Rt Revd Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury, senior clergy, other Christian denominations and representatives of the World Faiths.

Friday 27th March: People from across the city of Leicester and the county of Leicestershire will be invited to gather in the Cathedral to see the tomb revealed and celebrate the future.


Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Ri...#ixzz3G6vDaqZQ
Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook
Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Ri...iexpXzQwXTY.99
candida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #519
Lears City
Look there, look there!
 
Lears City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Leicester
Posts: 6,733
Likes (Received): 56

What is the route going to be from Bow Bridge?

I'd assume that SPS will be wise enough to run the horse-drawn hearse through the Castle Precinct and Newarke, before heading up to the Cathedral. This would have been the route back in 1485, via a stay at the Church of the Annunciation.

It would also pass the ancestral home of Richard III forebears and the burial sites of a few members of his family.
Lears City está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu