daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles

Los Angeles » Development News | Transportation | Greater L.A. Area

Old December 11th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #1
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 44

What Do You Think Downtown Los Angeles needs?

Here's what I think:

Luxury and affordable hi-rise living (in the process) however there isn't a "Trump" like building anywhere, mostly low-rise lofts

Better shopping

Need for more high end restaurants

Maybe more theatres to complement the Disney Concert Hall

Fill all of the parking spaces

Address the homeless population

Address the eyesores

Try to draw more major businesses to the area to really define it

Address the LA River problem

More parks/recreation near the River

Remove the repulsive warehouses with vandalism all over it

Not to be racist but try to diversify the downtown area more

And just keep building and building

Actually, we could have one large downtown. We have the Wilshire Corridor and that kinda connects downtown with Century City. There seems to be a building boom in the Mid-Wilshire area so I expect many more projects on the way.
Westsidelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 11th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #2
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 153

Agreed. But what does "diversify the downtown area" really mean?
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #3
CarsonCaliBrotha

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia
Agreed. But what does "diversify the downtown area" really mean?
Because seriously, at these prices right now, mostly only rich, young, white people can afford to move in. I've been downtown and walked by a few lofts and that's all I see, and they're out walking their dogs and everything. There seriously needs to be some diversity or Downtown wouldn't appeal to other people. Oh yeah, and belive it or not, THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS. If they want to have a walkable environment, they can't build every restaurant as Chateau De La Cruz or whatever. Not everybody can afford those or likes those. I think if they had a few McDonalds and Burger Kings downtown that'd be dope. Oh, and if they had an In N Out near a Metro Stop that'd be heaven!
CarsonCaliBrotha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #4
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 278

All of these needed. I think the most important is to get more people living, working and playing downtown.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #5
klamedia
Silver Lake

You funny Carson. Eventhough their is a consensus against fast food these days, they do make an area more lively and affordable to the masses. In the end, I believe that is what is meant by "diversifying" downtown.
Old December 11th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #6
PotatoGuy

Likes (Received): 1

Better shopping - yes.. the "shopping" district that it has now is crap

Need for more high end restaurants - yes yes

Maybe more theatres to complement the Disney Concert Hall - ehh. yeah but thats not so much of a deal

Fill all of the parking spaces - yes! ive had it w/ those

Address the homeless population - yes, they should build homes for them

Address the eyesores - definetly, and the smells too..

Try to draw more major businesses to the area to really define it - yup

Address the LA River problem - definetly, the LA 'river' is a disgrace to LA, it's a big concret pool w/ ugly buildings next to it

More parks/recreation near the River - yeah

Remove the repulsive warehouses with vandalism all over it - yes

Not to be racist but try to diversify the downtown area more - haha, yeah

And just keep building and building - the more the merrier!
Old December 11th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #7
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 7

density, density, density [on the way]
definately cleaner [maybe sometime in the future]
get rid of the parking lots [on the way]
affordable housing [not sure]
get rid of the homeless [on the way]
fast food [probably]
build taller[ probably]
Dt is gonna be cool in a few years.
Old December 11th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #8
Fern~Fern*
What's his face*

Likes (Received): 81

Besides the above mentioned excellent ideas, I would say more color and palm trees instead of those ugly trees that cover wall signs. Get rid of those annoying one ways streets, I hate them. The dash bus is great to get around downtown, but is so boxy and un-welcoming, we need like a open city bus. Something that lets you check out Downtown LA with out graffity down windows. A huge sky light window on top would also be so great.
Fern~Fern* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 09:16 PM   #9
alex3000
I'm not Chinese

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCaliBrotha
Because seriously, at these prices right now, mostly only rich, young, white people can afford to move in. I've been downtown and walked by a few lofts and that's all I see, and they're out walking their dogs and everything. There seriously needs to be some diversity or Downtown wouldn't appeal to other people. Oh yeah, and belive it or not, THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS. If they want to have a walkable environment, they can't build every restaurant as Chateau De La Cruz or whatever. Not everybody can afford those or likes those. I think if they had a few McDonalds and Burger Kings downtown that'd be dope. Oh, and if they had an In N Out near a Metro Stop that'd be heaven!
Actually, I think what he's trying to say by diversifying downtown, is that there's a huge Latino population... specially in the Historic Core.
Old December 11th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #10
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Oh also i forgot to mention transportation. The mayor intends on the Angelenos of the future to ride the subway. It would be great for more public transportation such as something similar to the blue line bus that runs through santa monica. But it will take years for the major subway system to come about. Ten years eh? Give it time. It's safe to say that Los Angeles is just starting to form. I mean there isn't really a definite purpose for this city. This city really only embodies a culture that is synonymous with Southern California- sandy beaches, great sunshine, entertainment, autos, etc. What i hope for in the next 10 years is to see a vibrant city with a definite purpose and an attractive downtown surrounded by residential neighborhoods filled with green palm trees. The Los Angeles River would be void of any concrete and vandalism and river cruises would take place adjacent to people walking in the park or eating at an outdoor cafe. This may just happen.
Old December 11th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #11
klamedia
Silver Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex3000
Actually, I think what he's trying to say by diversifying downtown, is that there's a huge Latino population... specially in the Historic Core.
Yep that's diverse.
Old December 11th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #12
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

that's exactly what i meant. downtowns are usually very diverse but not in LA.
Old December 12th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #13
klamedia
Silver Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife
that's exactly what i meant. downtowns are usually very diverse but not in LA.

I think economic diversity is the way to go. But in defense of LA's downtown, by sight you seem to have a large black population assumingly in transition, a latin pop assumed immigrant status, Japanese in Little Tokyo, Chinese in Chinatown and smatterings of whites( assumed artists) in various parts.
Old December 12th, 2005, 01:29 AM   #14
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Economic diversity as well. Basically downtown needs more of a downtown feel. Unlike other cities most of downtown's upscale assets are located in the suburbs. I'm not hoping for a NYC or Chicago. But NYC has time square and Chicago has Navy Pier...we don't have anything like that really. But LA Live will be our Time Square, our Grand Avenue Park will be our Central Park, and hopefully the Disney Concert Hall and the Civic Center will become the future theatre district of Los Angeles.
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:50 AM   #15
CarsonCaliBrotha

Okay but what I'm saying is once all these goes up, I'd say 90% of everyone that will move in will be rich young white men. There needs to be a mix of everybody so it feels like a real Downtown. I'm not trying to be racist, but I don't think poodle-walking, Sports car driving people will do more to create a more pedestrian environment to DTLA. We also need some middle class people, because they ride the trains and buses more than rich people. We need diversity, there's already too many poor people, we need SOME middle and SOME upper class.

Last edited by CarsonCaliBrotha; December 12th, 2005 at 03:59 AM.
Old December 12th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #16
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCaliBrotha
Okay but what I'm saying is once all these goes up, I'd say 90% of everyone that will move in will be rich young white men. There needs to be a mix of everybody so it feels like a real Downtown. I'm not trying to be racist, but I don't think poodle-walking, Sports car driving people will do more to create a more pedestrian environment to DTLA. We also need some middle class people, because they ride the trains and buses more than rich people. We need diversity, there's already too many poor people, we need SOME middle and SOME upper class.
I would think that would draw many Asians to the area. But i'm also willing to bet that some lofts will not be as pricey as others so that will help diversify. Also, we can put all the people on the streets into low income housing units. The culture in downtown is not going to change completely. I'm sure there are also wealthy Asians, Latinos, African Americans, etc. that are going to relocate in downtown.
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #17
CarsonCaliBrotha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife
I would think that would draw many Asians to the area. But i'm also willing to bet that some lofts will not be as pricey as others so that will help diversify. Also, we can put all the people on the streets into low income housing units. The culture in downtown is not going to change completely. I'm sure there are also wealthy Asians, Latinos, African Americans, etc. that are going to relocate in downtown.
Yeah, but wealthy is the point. If they're all wealthy, downtown might not be much more urban than one of those condo communities.
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:46 AM   #18
klamedia
Silver Lake

I still would like to see the essence of what LA is, a multi-polar city, I don't want that to go away. I like having 3 or 4 real skylines. I want to see Century City still do its thing, as well as Hollywood and of course Central City(downtown). I don't want LA to carbon copy NYC or Chicago when it comes to how the city is laid out. Besides, Griffith Park is our "Central Park" and it's a lot bigger.
Old December 12th, 2005, 07:07 AM   #19
LANative
Smile!

I think Downtown should be more dense, just keep building. And I think the Skid Row area should be adressed. Because Downtown was really never a tourist destination and I don't think it won't be until the homeless problem is taken care of. Usually the Downtowns in any city is a huge tourist destination, but thats not the case for our downtown.
Old December 12th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #20
PotatoGuy

Likes (Received): 1

i agree with you klamedia... LA should be more centralized but not too much as to totally destroy the way of life there is now, LA's isnt bad as it is now, it just needs some improvements, we shouldnt try to emulate NY or Chicago 'cause thats not what LA is