daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 15th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #601
potto

Likes (Received): 2792

Sponsored Links

Old March 21st, 2015, 12:56 AM   #602
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 3363

Blomfield Street by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

5 Broadgate from Blomfield St by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

My London development & construction photos: •
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Urban Showcase threads: •
•
•
•
•

stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 04:33 AM   #603
Gavrosh

Likes (Received): 317

walked past this the other night. Words cant express what an ugly, blocky piece of shit this is. The flapping bits of half torn off plastic at its edges accentuate its supreme ugliness. And in such a prominent position as well. Shame on UBS. As if it needed more.
Gavrosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 09:19 PM   #604
randolph

Likes (Received): 155

Going against the flow on this one. Went to see it the other day. I not only liked it - I liked it a lot!

djm160190 liked this post
randolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 02:37 AM   #605
Avida Dollars

Likes (Received): 2

It's the zig-zag pattern down the sides I'm opposed to - I don't know if it's conscious throwback, but it does immediately put me in mind of Smash Hits annuals and Studio Line hair gel, and other artifacts from the 1980s history has either repressed or just forgotten. Being generous, I suppose motifs like that do at least assimilate the design within the context of the existing PoMo builds around it; though I'd still rather it wasn't there. And, this being London, in 25 years time it probably won't be.
Avida Dollars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 03:29 AM   #606
NorthStar78

Likes (Received): 13

One of the biggest problems I have with this development is that I really liked what it has replaced. I liked the red granite and the consistency of the Broadgate buildings and now they're all disappearing. Personally, I find this building abhorrent. For such a squat building it's just so monolithic and bland. Adversely, I think a taller building would look less intrusive than this heap of nothingness. Obviously just a personal perspective.

The Champ liked this post
NorthStar78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 03:33 AM   #607
lafta

Likes (Received): 26

To me it looks like it was designed by Bang & Olufsen.
lafta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 05:22 AM   #608
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 3363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avida Dollars View Post
It's the zig-zag pattern down the sides I'm opposed to - I don't know if it's conscious throwback, but it does immediately put me in mind of Smash Hits annuals and Studio Line hair gel, and other artifacts from the 1980s
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafta View Post
To me it looks like it was designed by Bang & Olufsen.

although I've come to strangely, cautiously, maybe even guiltily like this building... I think.... these comments are hilarious, which they wouldn't be without a ring of truth!

My London development & construction photos: •
•

My Urban Showcase threads: •
•
•
•
•

stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #609
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 196

I know I'm in a small minority of people who not only don't mind this new structure but actually quite like it. The other morning I felt compelled to take the following photo - sorry it's not wider, my iPhone couldn't do any better.

http://i.imgur.com/CcTjOPml.jpg

Last edited by TedStriker; April 13th, 2015 at 04:26 PM.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #610
lafta

Likes (Received): 26

I like it too.
lafta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 05:56 PM   #611
Manofutterconfusion

Likes (Received): 2

if you ignore the diagonal windows in the middle, its quite a nice building, because the vertical and the horizontal flows are nicely balanced, and go well with the material.

Sadly though, its impossible to ignore the diagonal windows in the middle. Honestly, what were they thinking??! Just glaze the whole staircase in a neat vertical block!
Manofutterconfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 06:10 PM   #612
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 196

I like the diagonal windows.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 04:14 PM   #613
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 1768

I've always liked it but have to say it's in the wrong place. Next to the new US Embassy would have worked as a bit of competition.
gravesVpelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 01:30 PM   #614
randolph

Likes (Received): 155

The more I see it the more I like it. It is bold, striking and evocative - prompting thoughts fortress's and sci fi movies. I like the soft sheen of the cladding and it's bulky, boxy presence.

TedStriker liked this post
randolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #615
potto

Likes (Received): 2792

Broadgate circus now much improved replacing the fiddly rabbit warren approach to a cleaner clearer look

Old April 16th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #616
Storeys
Hello

Likes (Received): 508

I too like this building. It's something different and unusual but I think in a good way. I haven't seen the cladding in real life, but it looks pretty good - metallic looking.
Storeys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 10:39 PM   #617
London Homeboy

Likes (Received): 1

Still not convinced by the circle, it's just a bit...uh, ugly and pointless. It just looks so irrelevant
London Homeboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: