search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #141
Maarten Otto

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco designer View Post

The colour scheme can be changed to the new E320 being purschased by eurotunnel.
Correction, those have been ordered by Eurostar. Eurotunnel is just the company responsible for the tunnel operations and car/truck transport system. Eurotunnel sell their capacity in €2,500 slots to Eurostar, plus €9,60 transit fee per passenger.

And just to bully the Frogs...
Maarten Otto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #142
sotavento

Likes (Received): 273

[QUOTE=hans280;65285207]Does it have to be Chinese? Alstom has missed out on export markets in a lot of countries by insisting on working articulated. Personally, I agree with their main argument: it IS much safer. The twin problems, as far as I understand, are (1) un-articulated trains can load more passengers, and (2) some very winded old tracks cannot accomodate the "stiff" articulated trains. To the French this is no problem: you solve (1) by buying more trains, and you solve (2) by laying new tracks. Two countries seem to agree, namely Japan and Spain. The rest....? [QUOTE/]

Articulated trains have their wheel pivots in the extremes of the cars and only one set of each linking two cars ... so can acomodate about 20/30% more seats in the same train lenght and more easily adapt the carbody width to 2+3 (or even 3+3) seating.

[QUOTE]To this comes the fact that the East Asians are now looking into the issue of wide-bodied highspeed trains. Siemens' prototypes (and some Japanese trains) can be broadened to 2+3 seats in second class. An articulated train, as I have understood it, cannot. [QUOTE/]

Quite the contrary ...

Quote:
One of the main reasons Alstom lost the Eurostar contract to Siemens was apparently that its AGV has a lower passenger capacity. They have to address this issue FAST. China may be one factor, but only one...
Aparently the DB factoring was unheard of then ???

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...20-712654.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
The truth is, I don't know. This is how it was communicated to me by an SNCF technician, fuming over the fact that the new AGV has a maximum passenger capacity of 700 and the Velaro D close to 900. - Obviously if you make the (unarticulated) train in a broadened version you get more capacity, but that's another story entirely.

Capacity at what train lenght ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by makita09 View Post
The Siemens Velaro pdf from the website explains it. The articulated cars are shorter to fit within the loading guage, yet must have the same toilet and doors.
That is incorrect:

A standard TGV/AGV car has 18m and only has 1(2) door and 1(2) toilets ... a 10 car AGV (200m?) looks like this

A standard Velaro/conventional coach has 26m and has 2(4) doors and 1(2) toilets ... so for each velaro half coach (13m long) you get 1 vestibule ocupying the space of a lot of seats ...

And one must NEVER forget that the ICE3/Velaro is 1/2 conventional train and 1/2 selfpowered unit.

motor coach - conventional car - motor coach - 2x conventional car - motor coach - conventional car - motor coach

There's still 4 old school cars over there.

offtherecord: speaking about noses ... just look at what people choose to put up front their version of a given HS train and one can easily figure out that any nose can go into any train of any company.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM   #143
makita09

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
That is incorrect:
OK, so Siemens are incorrect, thanks for informing us Sotavento. I'll send a memo to Siemens recommending they sack their publicist for putting out such erroneous information.

Page 9 http://www.transportation.siemens.co...796-x-7600.pdf
makita09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #144
loco designer
loco designer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiGhtPiSH View Post
Hey do you know what's the access to the factory in Krefeld? There's a chance I'll be traveling to Germany in June and I'd like to photograph the manufacturing of the Velaros.
If you found a way, could you let me know who to contact?
loco designer no está en línea   Reply With Quote