SkyscraperCity Forum banner

SEATTLE | Colman Tower | 16 Stories

41K views 182 replies 39 participants last post by  RMacherat 
#1 ·
#42 ·
I skimmed this document last night for the first time after I was asked by a neighbor what's actually going into the building. Pretty cool design on many counts. Seems better than what I've come to expect from WeberThompson - it didn't scream WeberThompson when I saw the plans.

It seems like they did a good job of laying out the retail space and maximizing it (assuming we think retail is a good thing here). Post Alley could be cool with the bar across the street or could be deadly quiet and undesirable.

Question: what will the "micro-units" at the corners of the above ground parking levels be used for? I think WT might have done the same thing at 1521. Per the documents at the link above these are needed to provide "activated" facade per code but are these really just storage rooms?

#14 ·
I'm new at really tracking and following a buildings progress from the beginning to the end. Please excuse my ignorance. But if anyone has the time and patience would you please just post a very rough basic generic estimated timeline for what we should expect for a building like this. Im curious about how long it will take for things like: when will the hole be completely dug? When will it begin to build above grade? How long does a building like this typically take?

I'm just curious. It's not a big deal if nobody can. Thanks either way.

#15 ·
This particular project is a little different (and probably faster) because if I'm not mistaken they're not going below grade much at all for parking. I walked by the site today and it looks like they're installing drilled piers for foundations. In general I'd say a few months for foundations, then get the tower crane installed and then about a year to make it look like a completed building from the outside with the interior still in different stages of completion. If the building is structural steel instead of all concrete it generally would go a little faster but I think this project has a concrete elevator core (or two) so that concrete work takes time. (It's also possible to have a steel plate core like the US Federal Courthouse near the Greyhound station which is generally faster to build but they're not very common around Seattle.)

#22 ·
Seasun would be way better at that.... I'm not a technical guy.

They appear to be building caissons, as described on pages 21-22 of this primer: http://xnet.rrc.mb.ca/garyg/FOUNDATIONS/2008 Foundations.pdf. This is time-consuming.

Since Colman isn't going underground you won't see a hole except as needed for footings, elevator pit, etc. Even that might be time-consuming since there's 150 years (?) of history down there.

#24 ·
I suggest a google image search for: pilecap rebar
or similar phrases and you should see lots of similar work and you'll find related website. The rebar piles go way down into the earth and then the "pilecap" is the transition to the building's structural frame - if this building is built the way I think it is based on driving by it a couple days ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.