search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 2nd, 2016, 07:25 PM   #4281
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 8904

University of Regina host the University of Saskatchewan at the inaugural game at Regina's new Mosaic Stadium. Attendance was 16,500. I can see this quickly becoming Canada's premier football stadium. Not bad for a tiny metro of 230,000 people.

Courtesy of ReginaGuy

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

carnifex2005, Cjones2451, will101 liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2016, 09:22 PM   #4282
Cjones2451

Likes (Received): 93

[QUOTE=isaidso;135727588]University of Regina host the University of Saskatchewan at the inaugural game at Regina's new Mosaic Stadium. Attendance was 16,500. I can see this quickly becoming Canada's premier football stadium. Not bad for a tiny metro of 230,000 people.

And this was a test event so it was capped at 16,500. Probably could have been way more
Cjones2451 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 07:34 AM   #4283
flashman

Likes (Received): 160

It would be good to get an update on this story. The man who designed the wooden veil that fronts TD Place Stadium in Ottawa is bankrupt after he never got paid for it:

http://ottawacitizen.com/business/lo...re-and-layoffs

And maybe a summary of progress on all the many lawsuits currently filed by a number of subcontractors on the project.
Sings a life of proud endeavour at the best that man can be
flashman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 12:47 AM   #4284
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjones2451 View Post

And this was a test event so it was capped at 16,500. Probably could have been way more
That's what I was thinking but I did see a lot of empty seats in the lower bowl end zone.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 4th, 2016, 08:49 AM   #4285
flashman

Ahh, here's what I was hoping to find. A useful graphic laying out all the myriad lawsuits for non-payment of contracted fees to build the new half of TD Place stadium in Ottawa.

It would seem the willful non-payment is part and parcel of everyday CFL stadium construction, a standard tactic once work begins and sub-contractors are on the hook.

This article outlines the litany of woe facing those who have built a number of CFL stadiums in recent years:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cf...222406323.html

It takes the reader through the delays and severe cost overruns plaguing Canadian football stadium construction in Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Hamilton.

Two other new stadiums built primarily for Major League Soccer clubs were not mentioned in the article.

Toronto's BMO Field is not on the list. The track record in Toronto for building on time and on budget in recent projects (Air Canada Centre and adjoining Maple Leaf Square condo towers, BMO Field, the BioSteel Centre, the Raptors training facility and club HQ and various Pan Am games residences) is probably due to the presence of concrete king Larry Tanenbaum in the ownership group of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. The ACC was privately funded as was the vast majority of BMO Field's recent $110 million renovation.

Nor is Stade Saputo in Montreal, also a privately funded project by Montreal Impact owner Joey Saputo.

Last edited by flashman; October 4th, 2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old October 4th, 2016, 09:06 AM   #4286
carnifex2005

Likes (Received): 983

Sounds like a lot of those problems were the direct fault of the contractors not doing a good job. Don't blame the stadium owners for withholding payment.
carnifex2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #4287
flashman

Nation wide epidemic of shoddy sports venue workmanship? Are workers tailgating too hard before the morning shift starts?

Building quality issues don't usually extend across such a broad spectrum of trades or services on multiple projects. There's a trend here and it's not flattering the CFL.

The design and building of the distinctive wooden veil on the south stand in Ottawa earned all sorts of praise. It's creator is bankrupt now, owed millions.

Do you mean to say the general contractor would have allowed such an important and visible aspect of the stadium to be designed, manufactured and installed if there were such heavy issues with it that it didn't merit being paid for?

It beggars belief that incompetent contractor after incompetent contractor could be brought in to provide such important work at such high profile venues that draw in thousands of people at a time.

How come we aren't learning about similar problems with the building of pro hockey arenas in Canada? We got new NHL barns in Edmonton, Quebec and, not so long ago, Winnipeg.

It'll be interesting to see how things go with the new NHL arena project in Ottawa. Or, if the river don't rise, Calgary's.
Old October 10th, 2016, 05:29 PM   #4288
will101

Likes (Received): 1439

This is off topic, but happy Thanksgiving to our friends up north.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 06:02 PM   #4289
isaidso
the new republic

Thank you. I'll eat enough turkey for both of us.

Old October 10th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #4290
isaidso
the new republic

A recent aerial photo of the new events centre in Moncton, New Brunswick (taken last week).

They plan to have it enclosed before the winter sets in. City council made the decision to increase seat width to 20', which will decrease seating capacity to 8,500 from 9,000. This is somewhat controversial, as the RFP for this project gave bonus points to proponents for increasing the seating capacity as much as possible (within cost constraints).

The arena will have:
20' seats - general admission
22' seats - club seating

The existing Moncton Coliseum has:
18' seats - upper bowl
19' seats - lower bowl

will101, Cjones2451 liked this post
Old October 11th, 2016, 04:57 AM   #4291
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 370

Good move. 8500 is still more than enough for a metro area of under 150k and cutting corners just to cram more seats into the bowl only worsens the experience for everyone, especially for non-sellouts.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #4292
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Good move. 8500 is still more than enough for a metro area of under 150k and cutting corners just to cram more seats into the bowl only worsens the experience for everyone, especially for non-sellouts.
Agree. Moncton is growing quite quickly but I don't see the need for more than 8,500 seats. Both their pro hockey and pro basketball teams draw quite a bit less than that per game.

Old October 11th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #4293
Cjones2451

[QUOTE=isaidso;135887297]A recent aerial photo of the new events centre in Moncton, New Brunswick (taken last week).

[QUOTE]

Is it me or does Halifax just talk about stuff and Moncton actually does it

First they built the Moncton Stadium (not what is needed for a CFL team but a start) and not a new arena. Very impressed
Old October 12th, 2016, 01:00 AM   #4294
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Is it me or does Halifax just talk about stuff and Moncton actually does it

First they built the Moncton Stadium (not what is needed for a CFL team but a start) and not a new arena. Very impressed
No, that's very much in line with how both cities behave. Halifax is used to being #1 in the Maritimes and takes its position for granted. They're not used to competition so lethargy has become part of the culture. Things move at a glacial pace in Halifax. Moncton is very ambitious, nimble, and just seems to try a lot harder.

Halifax has been talking about a CFL stadium for almost 40 years. By the time they end up building one, most Nova Scotians who were around when the debate begun will be long dead. It's why a lot of young Haligonians pack up and leave. Life's too short to wait your whole life for something to happen.

Old October 12th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #4295
Cjones2451

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
No, that's very much in line with how both cities behave. Halifax is used to being #1 in the Maritimes and takes its position for granted. They're not used to competition so lethargy has become part of the culture. Things move at a glacial pace in Halifax. Moncton is very ambitious, nimble, and just seems to try a lot harder.

Halifax has been talking about a CFL stadium for almost 40 years. By the time they end up building one, most Nova Scotians who were around when the debate begun will be long dead. It's why a lot of young Haligonians pack up and leave. Life's too short to wait your whole life for something to happen.
Its a shame because I really think a CFL team in Halifax could do well and be strong for the league as far as TV ratings in the Maritimes, as well as that elusive 10th team that would inject some fresh blood. They could also add a CPL (Cdn Soccer League that starts in 2018) team to help with dates at a venue as well.
Old October 12th, 2016, 07:20 PM   #4296
will101

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Its a shame because I really think a CFL team in Halifax could do well and be strong for the league as far as TV ratings in the Maritimes, as well as that elusive 10th team that would inject some fresh blood. They could also add a CPL (Cdn Soccer League that starts in 2018) team to help with dates at a venue as well.
Why don't they add a team that would play half of the schedule at each city? Similar to how the Green Bay Packers played roughly half of their schedule in Milwaukee until about 1996.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #4297
isaidso
the new republic

They could but right now neither city has a suitable stadium. Moncton's stadium is too small and looks more like a CIS stadium. Halifax has nothing that would even be viewed as sufficient for CIS.

Quote:
It would do well. Football is popular and a home team would instantly become a big deal and the #1 sports teams by a long shot.

A better pairing than a CPL team would be to build the stadium half way between Saint Mary's University and Dalhousie University. These schools are literally a 7-8 minute walk from one another. You could hold SMU football, CFL, and Dal football all in the same facility. College football would likely draw much better than pro soccer. Dal currently only has 'club football' but the school could easily move up to CIS.

That blue track is SMU's current football stadium. That park on the left hand side is a perfect site for a new stadium. It's downtown, big enough to hold a stadium with lots of green space left over, and would be equidistant between Dal and SMU. I'd tear down that 5 floor 70s building on the upper left of the park and build it there. Land constricted SMU could re-develop Huskies stadium with faculty buildings.

South end Halifax and the SMU campus

Courtesy of oceancanada

will101, Cjones2451 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; October 12th, 2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old October 13th, 2016, 01:31 AM   #4298
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 249

Someone call a troll?

Tell us what you really think.
Old October 13th, 2016, 03:08 AM   #4299
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
Someone call a troll?

Tell us what you really think.
It's being dealt with.

Tags
canada, north america