daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Shaban
Registrated Used

Likes (Received): 0

What makes a building beautiful?

When a new building is constructed, what elements does it need to impress you? What makes it beautiful? Is it the site, its facades, sustainability...etc

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Concrete Stereo

Likes (Received): 599

hard to say. Refinement, clearness, quality, proportion, zoom-in-quality, character, calmness perhaps. Like with people, it's the ones that don't need to scream for attention that are most beautiful.
Concrete Stereo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #3
boyerling3

Likes (Received): 4

For me, part of it is the building's location. A building needs to fit in with those around it. Certainly it doesn't need to be the same, but the context around the building is an important factor. It wouldn't make sense for the Burj Dubai to be in Venice. It also wouldn't be great to see Buckingham palace in Chicago. Cities each have their own style and architects that work with that style instead of against it make buildings a bit more beautiful. Part of this is proportion of the buildings as mentioned above.
boyerling3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Shaban
Registrated Used

I agree with you both, I also think that the historical buildings need to blend in with the contemporary buildings. Also, the function of the building should show in its construction.
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Ramses

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
Also, the function of the building should show in its construction.
That sounds very modernist. I don't fully agree with you (and probably most contemporary architects) on this one. I'd like to see something of the specific location or buildings user in the design, that necessarily doesn't have to be a part of the structure itself. Especially the use of symbols in the design is very cool. But it has to be something meaningful for the user or location itself, otherwise it is out of place. Classical greek elements are terrible when they are used in China for example.
Ramses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #6
Shaban
Registrated Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses View Post
That sounds very modernist. I don't fully agree with you (and probably most contemporary architects) on this one. I'd like to see something of the specific location or buildings user in the design, that necessarily doesn't have to be a part of the structure itself. Especially the use of symbols in the design is very cool. But it has to be something meaningful for the user or location itself, otherwise it is out of place. Classical greek elements are terrible when they are used in China for example.
Actually I don't see myself as a modernist, as I like richly detailed architecture (though I understand how you could've understood it that way). What I meant was that you can get a sensation of what the functions of the building is by the look of it, whether it is symbolic or not. If you're in a cinema, the building probably shouldn't look like a hospital
Old November 15th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #7
Concrete Stereo

Likes (Received): 599

Allright, I'd like to add authenticity and context to the aspects that are important for the beauty of a building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses View Post
the use of symbols then again sounds equaly post-modernist

But I agree there is something about the meaning of buildings that is somehow important too.

Meaning is generated by means of architecture, function, context, but is also greatly absorbed (and constantly changed) in time. In it's extremes it means that on one hand there are buildings that have to loose their meaning before they can be appreciated for their beauty; it takes a long time before structures of Albert Speer will seize to be ideological monuments to become architectural monuments. On the other hand there are structures that owe a lot of their beauty to history; because of this the Hagia Sophia might be the most beautiful building I ever saw.
Concrete Stereo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Stereo View Post
the use of symbols then again sounds equaly post-modernist
That's right. I am a huge fan of it
Quote:
Meaning is generated by means of architecture, function, context, but is also greatly absorbed (and constantly changed) in time.
One of the most beautiful buildings i've ever seen was the Taj Mahal (yes i know, not very post-modern ) In my opinion the beauty was not only something of the building itself, also the context had a very big role in that. You never seen this context on the pictures, because it forms a huge contrast with the building itself. The Taj Mahal stands in the middle of the chaotic slums of Agra, so the poverty around it made the serene white building look even more perfect.
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Ramses

Here's a nice example of a new post-modern complex in the Netherlands. The re-designed station area of Zaanstad (close to Amsterdam). Most people find this complex hideous, and i can't blame them for their opinion. With these buildings Zaanstad would like to get something of its heritage back, not by rebuilding old destroyed houses but by building these old houses with a present day interpretation.

So instead of rebuilding this...

...they build this

It is a quite extreme form of post-modernism, but i like to see more of this (of course not on every location)
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #10
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4893

This building reminds me of Heineken