daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old August 10th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #341
Kremin
Local Photographer

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
This is what Lambert Smith Hampton are saying about the site:

LSH to market historic Newcastle department store

Acting on behalf of long-standing client, Trafalgar, Lambert Smith Hampton's (LSH) Newcastle office has been appointed to market the soon to be redeveloped, 38 Clayton Street West, formally known as the Blundell’s Department Store.

Having sat vacant for more than 25 years, the ex-John Blundell’s department store is an iconic building within the heart of Newcastle City Centre.

Trafalgar purchased the building in 2007 and aims to completely restyle it in a multi-million pound redevelopment project that will see the building extended on the upper floors to create a truly Grade A office space. Once complete, the building will offer modern grade A space behind a Georgian Façade.

Stewart Thomson, newly appointed Head of Agency at LSH’s Newcastle office, commented: “38 Clayton Street West is an iconic building and part of Newcastle’s heritage. Once complete, the redevelopment works will create one of the most modern and sought-after HQ office locations in the town.”

Sam Hamadi of Trafalgar, said: “We are delighted to be bringing such a prestigious building back to life. It is our intention to work in partnership with a single tenant to develop a turn-key bespoke office to the highest standards.”

Update from today, 8th August 2011 - not what you could call a hive of activity.

I looked quite busy when I went past last week and they were taking out a load of arcade/slot machines and busy filling up a skip
Kremin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 10th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #342
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamSoult View Post
Good news! Newcastle's TJ Hughes store has always seemed popular, and this would seem to confirm that.

It's worth remembering that of the 57 TJ Hughes stores, only six - including ours - have been saved so far.
That's good news. I assume that they will at some time trade them as Lewis's.

Presumably Benross, who owns the Lewis's Home Retail who's doing the buying has in turn bought the Lewis's brand name from the administrators of Vergo [who went skint in 2010 with Lewis's, Joplings Sunderland, Robbs etc] ?

At least the staff are ok and the shop's not going to be empty.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #343
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
That's good news. I assume that they will at some time trade them as Lewis's.

Presumably Benross, who owns the Lewis's Home Retail who's doing the buying has in turn bought the Lewis's brand name from the administrators of Vergo [who went skint in 2010 with Lewis's, Joplings Sunderland, Robbs etc] ?

At least the staff are ok and the shop's not going to be empty.
Yeah it all sounds like good news. I'm not very aware of Lewis's, are they more classy than TJ Hughes? It's great news though that people aren't going to lose their jobs. The last month or so must have been hell for them.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #344
GrahamSoult

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Exactly right! However, Lewis's Home Retail has bought the TJ Hughes brand too, so the six stores that it has acquired will apparently retain their existing fascias with a view to then building the chain back up again.

There are apparently plans to relaunch Lewis's separately, starting with a store in Bury:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-29167287/
GrahamSoult no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #345
flange

Likes (Received): 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamSoult View Post
Exactly right! However, Lewis's Home Retail has bought the TJ Hughes brand too, so the six stores that it has acquired will apparently retain their existing fascias with a view to then building the chain back up again.

There are apparently plans to relaunch Lewis's separately, starting with a store in Bury:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-29167287/
Plans for the first Lewis's Home store in Bury, revealed on the Manchester Retail thread a few weeks back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
The former MFI unit at Moorgate Retail Park has got a new tenant. It will become Lewis's Home.

Plans are online for store signage here.

http://e-planning.bury.gov.uk/DCWebP...ystemkey=43393

flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #346
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Likes (Received): 255

The original Liverpool property bears a striking resemblance to Market Street nick

I do wonder about running both brands in parallel [unless they are trying to make Lewis's into more of an out of town sofa centre and keeping TJH as the more general store.

Good result so far tho'.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #347
CDB00

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Yeah it all sounds like good news. I'm not very aware of Lewis's, are they more classy than TJ Hughes? It's great news though that people aren't going to lose their jobs. The last month or so must have been hell for them.
The original Lewis's was pretty classy and much loved in Liverpool and Manchester. It was where you would go for a treat when I was a kid. It was the first shop I saw with 'new-fangled' escalators. It did go into something of a decline in the 90s though.

The new company have bought out the rights to the name but it remains to be seen which end of the spectrum they'll be in.
CDB00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #348
GrahamSoult

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB00 View Post
The original Lewis's was pretty classy and much loved in Liverpool and Manchester. It was where you would go for a treat when I was a kid. It was the first shop I saw with 'new-fangled' escalators. It did go into something of a decline in the 90s though.
And of course it won't be the first time that Newcastle has had a 'Lewis's' of sorts, as we were discussing on the Retail Memories thread back in March: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=75019491

Hopefully this incarnation will last longer than 16 months though...
GrahamSoult no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #349
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
The original Liverpool property bears a striking resemblance to Market Street nick

I do wonder about running both brands in parallel [unless they are trying to make Lewis's into more of an out of town sofa centre and keeping TJH as the more general store.

Good result so far tho'.
Wow! Not dissimilar to the Leeds department store (RIP)
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #350
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremin View Post
I looked quite busy when I went past last week and they were taking out a load of arcade/slot machines and busy filling up a skip
Passed there today and witnessed the Great Dane lying on its bed at the entrance - I kind of got the impression that it was a 'one man band' doing the work in the building, not literally one man and his dog but I'm sure you get my drift

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #351
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 495

TJ Hughes jobs saved after the
Newcastle Department Store is bought

by Iain Laing, The Journal, August 11th 2011

THE jobs of nearly 80 staff at the Newcastle branch of TJ Hughes have been saved with the sale of the store to a Liverpool retailer.

The Grainger Street shop, which was put up for sale when TJ Hughes collapsed into administration in June, will stay open and the 76 staff will be kept on.

It has been bought by Lewis Home Retail – along with five other TJ Hughes sites, for an undisclosed sum, saving the jobs of more than 500 workers.

Joint administrators Tom Jack and Simon Allport had previously announced they had made a deal for Lewis to buy the Liverpool flagship store as well as outlets in Eastbourne, Glasgow and Sheffield.

Yesterday, they sealed a deal for the Newcastle store and Mr Jack said: “We are delighted to have completed another deal, which protects further jobs across the North and brings the total number of jobs saved to 576.”

Ernst & Young yesterday also confirmed the closure dates for eight more TJ Hughes stores, including the Middlesbrough branch which will shut on August 16 with the loss of 75 jobs.

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...1140-29215829/
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #352
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
TJ Hughes jobs saved after the
Newcastle Department Store is bought

by Iain Laing, The Journal, August 11th 2011

THE jobs of nearly 80 staff at the Newcastle branch of TJ Hughes have been saved with the sale of the store to a Liverpool retailer.

The Grainger Street shop, which was put up for sale when TJ Hughes collapsed into administration in June, will stay open and the 76 staff will be kept on.

It has been bought by Lewis Home Retail – along with five other TJ Hughes sites, for an undisclosed sum, saving the jobs of more than 500 workers.

Joint administrators Tom Jack and Simon Allport had previously announced they had made a deal for Lewis to buy the Liverpool flagship store as well as outlets in Eastbourne, Glasgow and Sheffield.

Yesterday, they sealed a deal for the Newcastle store and Mr Jack said: “We are delighted to have completed another deal, which protects further jobs across the North and brings the total number of jobs saved to 576.”

Ernst & Young yesterday also confirmed the closure dates for eight more TJ Hughes stores, including the Middlesbrough branch which will shut on August 16 with the loss of 75 jobs.

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...1140-29215829/
Good news indeed, saves jobs and the building.

When I wandered through TJH yesterday lunch time I noticed that most of the stock had now gone, so perhaps it's life under its current mantle will not last very much longer. I was anticipating how high the discount would go to.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #353
Stagknight

Likes (Received): 0

I wonder if they have memory foam pillows left, and what they are charging.
Stagknight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #354
growly grace

Likes (Received): 60

Emerson Muschamp Bainbridge : crazy name, crazy guy!
growly grace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #355
alf stone

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by growly grace View Post
Emerson Muschamp Bainbridge : crazy name, crazy guy!
I don't know if he was a crazy guy but his names are just family names. His grandmother's maiden name was Muschamp and her father was christened Emerson. Bainbridge's sister married a Fenwick but I don't think it was one of the store Fenwicks. What an awesome combination that would have been.
alf stone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #356
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf stone View Post
I don't know if he was a crazy guy but his names are just family names. His grandmother's maiden name was Muschamp and her father was christened Emerson. Bainbridge's sister married a Fenwick but I don't think it was one of the store Fenwicks. What an awesome combination that would have been.
Fair few Department Store/Shop owners now sharing 'common ground' in Jesmond Old Cemetery:

Frederick Beavan - Beavan's Stores on Shields Road
Hedley Chapman - Chapmans Store (Siesta House)
Robert Robson - Robson's Furniture and Fittings, Northumberland Street
Emerson Muschamp Bainbridge - Bainbridge's Department Store
James Coxon - Coxon's Department Store - Market Street
John James Fenwick - Fenwick's Department Store
Henry Murton - Murton's Stores, Grainger Street/Bigg Market

So whilst not married to each other in life, they are married in death!

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old October 4th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #357
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
I see that one of the things holding up any work at the Newgate Street development will be the fact that they have a roosting colony of Bats to deal with.

http://planningapplications.newcastl...=LP3I67BS05100
So the current Co-op food hall will be divided into 4 units after the refurb:

http://planningapplications.newcastl...ent-274325.pdf

I understood that they wanted to retain a presence on the site - If so, it will have to be a much reduced one.
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #358
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
So the current Co-op food hall will be divided into 4 units after the refurb:

http://planningapplications.newcastl...ent-274325.pdf

I understood that they wanted to retain a presence on the site - If so, it will have to be a much reduced one.
Design and Access Statement indicates:

Retail. The Co-op intends to retain a presence on site in the form
of a Food Hall of approximately 10,000 square feet. Other retail
uses have been considered at ground floor, basement level and first floor.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old October 26th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #359
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Oh dear, that's not very clever - this from the Heritage, Design and Access Statement @ http://planningapplications.newcastl...=LP3I67BS05100

Clock faces will be repaired with new lighting to replace original neon. Clocks will not be made operational.

Tell me, what is the point of having a clock if its doesn't work, or at least on more than twice per day
Success to the people? - I raised this as a comment via the NCC Planning Portal a while ago - Whilst supporting the conversion of this fine Listed Building into a Hotel it was a shame that the developers have no plans to have the clocks and barometer put back into working order.

Such a missed opportunity for the developers to gain public support by putting right something that was put there to aid the populace of Newcastle.

Perhaps the City Officers could make it conditional that clocks and barometer are put back into working order when considering the Planning Application?

Just been looking at the latest exchanges between Planning and the Applicant and there is now an assurance that both the clock and barometer will be brought back to life. Evidently the clock is in better order than the barometer.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old October 26th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #360
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 495

Quote:
Success to the people? - I raised this as a comment via the NCC Planning Portal a while ago - Whilst supporting the conversion of this fine Listed Building into a Hotel it was a shame that the developers have no plans to have the clocks and barometer put back into working order.

Such a missed opportunity for the developers to gain public support by putting right something that was put there to aid the populace of Newcastle.

Perhaps the City Officers could make it conditional that clocks and barometer are put back into working order when considering the Planning Application?

Just been looking at the latest exchanges between Planning and the Applicant and there is now an assurance that both the clock and barometer will be brought back to life. Evidently the clock is in better order than the barometer.
Fantastic stuff Steve.

I was 'thinking' of making a comment about that, at the time, but (as usual) didn't get around to actually doing it.

That will make a major improvement to the overall credibility of the building!
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
england, historic newcastle, historic north east eng, history, newcastle, newcastle photos, newcastle retail, newcastle upon tyne, retail, shopping, united kingdom