daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old January 6th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #141
brybat

Likes (Received): 0

graftons?

Do you know of a department store at the top of Northumberland St called Graftons or something similar.
My nana bought her wedding dress there in the early 50's but my mam isn't sure if it was on percy st or northum' st.
brybat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 7th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #142
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 515

VARIOUS NEW EDITS TO THIS THREAD

BAINBRIDGE . .

I have just found, and added to this thread, TWO excellent new photos of Bainbridges Department Store, prior to its move to Eldon Square in 1976. I have added them to 'Post 17', which is the second of my two posts on here about Bainbridge & Co, with the first one being 'Post 2'.

The new photos show a fantastic 1930s shot of the (now demolished) Bigg Market facade, and an excellent 1971 view of Bainbridges main Market Street frontage (as I remember it!).

LINK to 'Post 17' . . http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...9&postcount=17

FENWICK . .

I have added to 'Post 83' an amazing photo of the Brunswick Place side of Fenwicks, all the way along as far as Brunswick Church, from 1932, the year before the renovations (mentioned in the photo directly above the new photo) to that side of the store.

LINK to 'Post 83' . . http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...9&postcount=83

BINNS . .

I have just added to 'Post 108', a rare photo of the Grainger Street side entrance to Binns, not long before it closed.

LINK to 'Post 108' . . http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=108

(NB, this newly inserted photo is in addition to the four new documents (describing the big opening of the new store in 1977) that I notified had been added to Post 108, last month).

FARNONS . .

Finally, I have added to the main Farnons post, at 'Post 124', two newly discovered photos.

One shows a very busy Nun Street in 1957, and the other shows the VERY disjointed Farnons Newgate Street frontages, from the 1970s, opposite the Swallow Hotel.

LINK to 'Post 124' . . http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=124

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 7th, 2010 at 04:35 AM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #143
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brybat View Post
Do you know of a department store at the top of Northumberland St called Graftons or something similar.
My nana bought her wedding dress there in the early 50's but my mam isn't sure if it was on percy st or northum' st.
I do not remember, nor can I find any details of, a Department Store called Graftons in Newcastle. That's not to say it wasn't there!

Also though, bearing in mind that there are/were not many REAL Department Stores, and the definition of a Department Store given in 'Post 1' of this thread . . .

See - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...57&postcount=1

. . . are you sure Graftons wasn't actually another type of store or shop?

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 7th, 2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #144
Elswick

Likes (Received): 4

Of course it is not a department store, but does anyone have any photographs of Malcolm Macdonald's boutique in Newgate Shopping Centre?
Elswick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #145
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

J T Parrish, Department Store.
Shields Road,
Byker,
Newcastle upon Tyne 6.

This store, known as 'Parrishes', is the only non-City Centre Department Store in Newcastle, that I had any experience of, or have any photos of while it was still trading. I mention this, because in the same road (Shields Road) I have read references to a 'Beavans Dept Store', and indeed I have photos of the building as it is now, but I was never aware of it when it was 'trading' nor do I have any photos of it then, so I do not know for sure that it actually was a fully-fledged 'Department Store'.

Anyway, back to Parrishes . . .

Here is Parrishes, when seen from above like this, you can see just what a BIG store it is. In this photo, Shields Road is running along the bottom, and the street that can be seen leading off Shields Road down the bank towards the river is actually BRINKBURN STREET, not 'Raby Street' as it says at the bottom of the photo (after later discussions with maxtoon in posts 149/150) . .

A Newspaper Advertisement for Parrishes, from the 1970s . .

Parrishes in the 1970s, showing part of the ground floor let to 'Presto Supermarkets' (who were eventually to become Safeway). This view looks like it is of the modernised 'rear' of the shop, fronting onto (I think) Clifford Street . .

A Newspaper Article from 1984, sadly describing the closure of Parrishes . . AFTER NEARLY 100 YEARS . .

Unfortunately, that is all the information I have (photos/newspaper cuttings/adverts, etc) about J T Parrish Department Store. If anyone has anything else about it AT ALL, I would really love to hear about it, especially if you have any other photos . .

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 16th, 2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #146
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 34

I'm sure there was a department store in North Shields where Jobsons was. Now it may have been jobsons or it may have been something else, this I'm not sure of.

ANyone care to lighten the story.

I remember going into Michael Parrishes as a young un. My grandma used to take me there. I cannot remember the inside of it though which is a shame.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #147
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
I remember going into Michael Parrishes as a young un. My grandma used to take me there. I cannot remember the inside of it though which is a shame.
Yes, Michael Parrish was the name of the 'Electrical Discount Store' that took over most of the Parrishes Shields Road premises in 1984, and for a number of years thereafter, after the J T Parrish Department Store had closed.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 11th, 2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #148
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Shields Road,
Byker,
Newcastle upon Tyne 6.

This store, known as 'Parrishes', is the only non-City Centre Department Store in Newcastle, that I had any experience of, or have any photos of while it was still trading. I mention this, because in the same road (Shields Road) I have read references to a 'Beavans Dept Store', and indeed I have photos of the building as it is now, but I was never aware of it when it was 'trading' nor do I have any photos of it then, so I do not know for sure that it actually was a fully-fledged 'Department Store'.

Here is Parrishes, when seen from above like this, you can see just what a BIG store it is. In this photo, Shields Road is running along the bottom, and the famous 'Byker street' called Raby Street can be seen leading off Shields Road, down the bank towards the river . .
Great photo's NH but strange comments on this one !!

I used to frequent 'The Raby' pub on the corner of Raby St / Shields Rd

Raby St actually cannot be seen in this shot ... It's actually Brinkburn St (which stretches beyond) and it used to run parallel and west of Raby St to it's junction with Walker Rd ..
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #149
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtoon View Post
Great photo's NH but strange comments on this one !!

I used to frequent 'The Raby' pub on the corner of Raby St / Shields Rd

Raby St actually cannot be seen in this shot ... It's actually Brinkburn St (which stretches beyond) and it used to run parallel and west of Raby St to it's junction with Walker Rd ..

Well noticed maxtoon, just goes to show how easily you can be led astray, by just 'accepting' information given to you! The photo I used already had the words 'Raby Street' written on it (see above) so I just accepted it.

Which is odd . . .

For many years in the late 60s and early 70s, I spent (what seemed like) most of my life in Brinkburn Street, one of my best mates used to live down the bottom, almost directly opposite Byker Library. We used to play football (a gang of about eight of us) in the back streets of Brinkburn and Ayton Streets, with each back door being someones goal! Some really GREAT days, I can tell you, in the summer playing until nearly midnight!

Even now, mind, from a quick look at the photo, I couldn't 'immediately' be certain (which is why I didn't query it) which of the two streets off Shields Road was Brinkburn and which was Raby (though only ONE is in the actual photo, I remember they are near to eachother, running parallel) . . after all these years . . as I haven't been back to Byker much, for quite a long time now, not that that would help a great deal, with all the massive changes there![/I]

Of course you are correct though, the street in the photo must be Brinkburn, with Raby the next one along, with The Raby Hotel pub, on the corner (as it still is) as you say! In the interests of ACCURACY, I have also amended my original post, and cross-referenced it to this post.

Anyway, that apart . . does anyone have any more information and/or photos or MEMORIES, of or about

Parrishes Department Store??

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 14th, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #150
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brybat View Post
I have now done some research, and there wasn't a Department Store called Graftons, but there used to be a clothes shop at the Haymarket end of Northumberland Street, called Graftons.

This sounds (from your description) like the shop you are thinking of.

See the below 1966 photo . .

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 14th, 2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #151
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Before moving on, does anyone have any further info on Parrishes at all?

I was disappointed at how few references/photos that I was able to find, myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Shields Road,
Byker,
Newcastle upon Tyne 6.

Here is Parrishes, when seen from above like this, you can see just what a BIG store it is. In this photo, Shields Road is running along the bottom, and the street that can be seen leading off Shields Road down the bank towards the river is actually BRINKBURN STREET, not 'Raby Street' as it says at the bottom of the photo (after later discussions with maxtoon in posts 149/150) . .

A Newspaper Advertisement for Parrishes, from the 1970s . .

Parrishes in the 1970s, showing part of the ground floor let to 'Presto Supermarkets' (who were eventually to become Safeway). This view looks like it is of the modernised 'rear' of the shop, fronting onto (I think) Clifford Street . .

A Newspaper Article from 1984, sadly describing the closure of Parrishes . . AFTER NEARLY 100 YEARS . .

Unfortunately, that is all the information I have (photos/newspaper cuttings/adverts, etc) about J T Parrish Department Store. If anyone has anything else about it AT ALL, I would really love to hear about it, especially if you have any other photos . .
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #152
kieron79

No images/info unfortunatly but I always remember going in their with my Mam, she always used to buy me a matchbox car when I went in. I also remember the small aquarium shop on Shields Road, I used to love looking at the all the fish in the tanks! GOD IM SAD!
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #153
North Star

I too can't add any great info to the Parrishes discussion, but I went there many times, nearly always with my grandma who lived in Battlefield and did most of her shopping on Shields Road (perhaps Parrishes problem was that it was the sort of shop you went to with your grandma).

I also remember my dad taking me to the Santa's grotto there - this must have been the very late seventies or perhaps the early eighties, I guess - possibly in conjunction with a trip to see a Disney film at the Apollo.

Finally, I also vaguely remember one of 'Little' Billy Fane's poems in the Chronicle ('Parrishes is closin doon...', or something like that) either when the closure was announced or, I think more likely, about when they were closing their doors for the last time. I doubt it won any prizes.
North Star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #154
kieron79

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
I too can't add any great info to the Parrishes discussion, but I went there many times, nearly always with my grandma who lived in Battlefield and did most of her shopping on Shields Road (perhaps Parrishes problem was that it was the sort of shop you went to with your grandma).

I also remember my dad taking me to the Santa's grotto there - this must have been the very late seventies or perhaps the early eighties, I guess - possibly in conjunction with a trip to see a Disney film at the Apollo.

Finally, I also vaguely remember one of 'Little' Billy Fane's poems in the Chronicle ('Parrishes is closin doon...', or something like that) either when the closure was announced or, I think more likely, about when they were closing their doors for the last time. I doubt it won any prizes.
Yeah I remember doing that too!!
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #155
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 82

the 1972 pic of Parrishes makes the building look like one of those modern builds that use 'random slats' for the windows.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #156
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

OK, Two last photos of Parrishes that I have found, before we move on . . .

1 - Not a great one, taken in 1969 and showing the main Shields Road frontage. At least it was still Parrishes Department Store, then!

2 - Parrishes as it is now . . "Parrish Court Student Accommodation". WHAT a come-down for this long-standing and once proud Department Store . .

So, I will now move on to the NEXT "Newcastle Department Store" . . . and there are not many left to do now, as we've covered most of them!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 30th, 2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #157
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

EDIT - The content of this post has been deleted, and it is now included within 'Post 201'.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; February 6th, 2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:50 PM   #158
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian;Jan 16 2009 View Post

I will now move on to the NEXT "Newcastle Department Store" . . . and there are not many left to do now, we've covered most of them!

The Newcastle "Co-op Department Store".
(Part One)

ONE store, split over THREE locations . . .

The, still fairly recent, closure of the Co-op Department Store in Newcastle, is regarded by many as a sad loss to the Newcastle retail scene. Not just the loss of another big Department Store, following in the wake of the likes of Farnons and Binns over the last ten or fifteen years or so, but the fact that a much loved building is now unused and empty . . and therefore potentially IN DANGER.

However, looking back on more prosperous times for the Newcastle Co-op Department Store . . how many people know that at one time this one store was SO BIG its various 'departments' had to be split over THREE different City Centre buildings?

As recently as the 1960s/1970s, the store was so successful it not only occupied the (mentioned) Newgate Street premises, but two other neighbouring premises as well.

This is shown in the following . . .

1 - The MAIN Newgate Street Store.

The main store in 1953 when it was still the "Newcastle" Co-op Department Store . .

AGAIN . . when it was the more recent "North Eastern" Co-op . .

Some more 'information' about the main store, from "Newcastle & Gateshead Architecture and Heritage, by Faulkner, Beacock and Jones" . .

2 - The SECOND Newgate Street Store.

For a long time, the FURNITURE Department was outhoused by the 'joining together' of these two nearby buildings. These buildings were eventually (in the 1990s) taken over by 'Barker & Stonehouse' before being demolished to become the 'Tiger Tiger' part of THE GATE complex . .

Here is the 'Furniture Department' store again, in the 1970s, to the left of 'Newgate House' (Newgate House is the one with 'Prestos' on the ground floor) which was where 'The Gate' is now . .

3 - The GRAINGER STREET departments at 'Murton House'.

This is the part of the Department Store that many people are not aware of. For many years in the 1960s and 1970s, a fairly LONG stretch of Grainger Street, from where KFC is now for quite a long part of the way along towards Market Street, the building (which is still known today as 'Murton House' though now 'split up') housed many departments on its FOUR FLOORS. These included, 'Mens Wear', 'Ladies Fashion', 'Jewellery', 'Toys' and 'Sports'. It was (in reality) a VERY BIG store, in itself! The below newspaper article from the Evening Chronicle (of Wednesday 20th December 1963) explains it all in detail . .

An interesting (and not that well known) story, dont you think?

There is still MUCH MORE to cover, about the Newcastle Co-op Department Store (in PART TWO) as I am waiting for 'permission' to use certain photos, before I can proceed.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; February 6th, 2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:24 PM   #159
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Great post as usual NH .. used to find many a good bargain within those wall. I didn't know about the Grainger St store though
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:55 PM   #160
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 1

I wish a large store would open in the former co-op department store building. It is such a fantastic building and a complete waste to be stood empty.

Tags
england, historic newcastle, historic north east eng, history, newcastle, newcastle photos, newcastle retail, newcastle upon tyne, retail, shopping, united kingdom