daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:26 PM   #161
kieron79

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
I wish a large store would open in the former co-op department store building. It is such a fantastic building and a complete waste to be stood empty.
Got to agree with you there, probs one of my favourite large buildings in Newcastle City Centre
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:30 PM   #162
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 150

the co op used to remind me of the old wembley cos it has twin towers with flags on.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:33 PM   #163
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 150

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/klausness/416839541/
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:28 PM   #164
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
What a good little 'photos' site (Klausness)!

I have added a LINK to our Websites thread, at Section 9 (Local Photos Websites).

If anyone knows of any other good websites currently not listed, please let me know via the 'Skybar'.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 23rd, 2010 at 02:16 AM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:56 PM   #165
Val Verde

Likes (Received): 124

Very interesting thread despite not hailing from Newcastle myself although I do like the place a lot.

As a question regarding a possible "future" department store in Newcastle's past did Lewis's (the Liverpool based department store not to be confused with John Lewis which following two bankruptcies and an asset strip over the last 20 years had declined just to the one store in Liverpool (although the owners of Lewis's now own two other stores trading under different names in Sunderland and Hexham as well as a number of former Co-op department stores in the South West and East Anglia)) ever consider opening (many years ago of course) a store in Newcastle either through acquisition of an existing department store or opening a new store considering they once had stores in other large cities including Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow and Birmingham (and were for a long time, owners of Selfridges on Oxford Street in London)? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis%27s
Val Verde está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:13 AM   #166
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Verde View Post
Very interesting thread despite not hailing from Newcastle myself although I do like the place a lot.

As a question regarding a possible "future" department store in Newcastle's past did Lewis's (the Liverpool based department store not to be confused with John Lewis which following two bankruptcies and an asset strip over the last 20 years had declined just to the one store in Liverpool (although the owners of Lewis's now own two other stores trading under different names in Sunderland and Hexham as well as a number of former Co-op department stores in the South West and East Anglia)) ever consider opening (many years ago of course) a store in Newcastle either through acquisition of an existing department store or opening a new store considering they once had stores in other large cities including Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow and Birmingham (and were for a long time, owners of Selfridges on Oxford Street in London)? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis%27s
I am a regular visitor to ROBBS Department Store, in my former hometown of Hexham. Do the owners of Lewis's still own it?

I am not aware of any attempt to open a Lewis's in Newcastle, in the past.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM   #167
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
The Newcastle "Co-op Department Store" (Part One).

ONE store, split over THREE locations . . .

The, still fairly recent, closure of the Co-op Department Store in Newcastle, is regarded by many as a sad loss to the Newcastle retail scene. Not just the loss of another big Department Store, following in the wake of the likes of Farnons and Binns over the last ten or fifteen years or so, but the fact that a much loved building is now unused and empty . . and therefore potentially IN DANGER.

However, looking back on more prosperous times for the Newcastle Co-op Department Store . . how many people know that at one time this one store was SO BIG its various 'departments' had to be split over THREE different City Centre buildings?

As recently as the 1960s/1970s, the store was so successful it not only occupied the (mentioned) Newgate Street premises, but two other neighbouring premises as well.

This is shown in the following . . .

1 - The MAIN Newgate Street Store.

The main store in 1953 when it was still the "Newcastle" Co-op Department Store . .

AGAIN . . when it was the more recent "North Eastern" Co-op . .

Some more 'information' about the main store, from "Newcastle & Gateshead Architecture and Heritage, by Faulkner, Beacock and Jones" . .

2 - The SECOND Newgate Street Store.

For a long time, the FURNITURE Department was outhoused by the 'joining together' of these two nearby buildings. These buildings were eventually (in the 1990s) taken over by 'Barker & Stonehouse' before being demolished to become the 'Tiger Tiger' part of THE GATE complex . .

Here is the 'Furniture Department' store again, in the 1970s, to the left of 'Newgate House' (Newgate House is the one with 'Prestos' on the ground floor) which was where 'The Gate' is now . .

3 - The GRAINGER STREET departments at 'Murton House'.

This is the part of the Department Store that many people are not aware of. For many years in the 1960s and 1970s, a fairly LONG stretch of Grainger Street, from where KFC is now for quite a long part of the way along towards Market Street, the building (which is still known today as 'Murton House' though now 'split up') housed many departments on its FOUR FLOORS. These included, 'Mens Wear', 'Ladies Fashion', 'Jewellery', 'Toys' and 'Sports'. It was (in reality) a VERY BIG store, in itself! The below newspaper article from the Evening Chronicle (of Wednesday 20th December 1963) explains it all in detail . .

An interesting (and not that well known) story, dont you think?

There is still MUCH MORE to cover, about the Newcastle Co-op Department Store (in PART TWO) as I am waiting for 'permission' to use certain photos, before I can proceed.

Just to clarify, what I am waiting for is for permission to 'insert' some excellent INTERNAL shots of the main Newgate Street store, that are copyrighted. Should stir a few memories, if I can get them!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; February 1st, 2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:20 PM   #168
funkydory
OneWorld

We might be able to start off a 'where is this/when was this'? quiz with this one.

The Design Centre in London chooses Newcastle for an 'outside London' exhibition showing new fabrics and display constructions. But when was it......?

ps. No cheating on Google or somehow getting hold of the magazine index!!

Don't let people take away your history. or they will take away your future.

(C)Funkydory

Cinema, theatre and transport memories. The world over.

Last edited by funkydory; January 23rd, 2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Extra info
funkydory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:30 PM   #169
hollow man

Likes (Received): 5

Absolutely love the old Co-op building, always have done. I know its currently empty but I wish they would get some bloody flags back on the towers. It would look much better with a nice wash and scrub up too!

Going into the future, what are the prospects for this building? How if at all will it be utilized?
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #170
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydory View Post

We might be able to start off a 'where is this/when was this'? quiz with this one.

The Design Centre in London chooses Newcastle for an 'outside London' exhibition showing new fabrics and display constructions. But when was it......?

I know that I have something on this, somewhere!!

BUT, I will not try to find it (would probably take me a week, anyway!) and will just have a guess at . . .

BAINBRIDGES, IN 1966?
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:54 PM   #171
funkydory
OneWorld

Like with one of the local history sites here in Birmingham I'm a regular on, I'll wait 24 hours before the reveal, in order to be fair to readers who want to join in but may be out at work/visiting family etc. I won't give any pass or failures until then to give forumers the chance to discuss between themselves why they came to their solutions....

(C)Funkydory

Old January 26th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #172
funkydory
OneWorld

Quote:

I've been thinking I must have put up a stinking question so I've given it a few more days in case ppl wanted more time to ponder its date of origin.

Here we go. The date of the exhibition is February 1959,and it is Bainbridges!

The original colour article has bright red for the square logo design and the curtains at the back of the display are a slightly darker reddish coulour. The stands displaying the glassware are aluminium.(I don't have a bank overdraft that would have stretched to the colour copying!)

There is an interview to go with the advert with Mr. George Bainbridge (no less) sporting 1950's haircut saying how chuffed he is at Newcastle being chosen for the exhibition, but it will be later this or next week before I'm visiting again where the article is located. If anyone is interested.

(C)Funkydory

Old January 26th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #173
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
I've been thinking I must have put up a stinking question so I've given it a few more days in case ppl wanted more time to ponder its date of origin.

Here we go. The date of the exhibition is February 1959,and it is Bainbridges!

The original colour article has bright red for the square logo design and the curtains at the back of the display are a slightly darker reddish coulour. The stands displaying the glassware are aluminium.(I don't have a bank overdraft that would have stretched to the colour copying!)

There is an interview to go with the advert with Mr. George Bainbridge (no less) sporting 1950's haircut saying how chuffed he is at Newcastle being chosen for the exhibition, but it will be later this or next week before I'm visiting again where the article is located. If anyone is interested.

Yes please!

. . and, its interesting that you said 'February 1959' for the date, whereas I said "Bainbridges 1966", and after further thought later, I felt I had put it a few years 'early' and that it should have been '1968 or 1969'!!

Strange, how the mind plays tricks like that!
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #174
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The Newcastle "Co-op Department Store".
(Part Two)

1 - Some 'external' shots of the main Newgate Street premises . .

2 - Some 'internal' photos of the main Newgate Street premises, that may stir some memories. What an elegant building it is internally (as well as externally) the windows, stairways, etc . .

Photos courtesy of . .
TIMMONET NEWCASTLE PHOTO ARCHIVE
http://www.timarchive.freeuk.com/index.htm

3 - Sadly, this very elegant store is now CLOSED, and when it first went on the market in 2006, it seems "keen interest" in the building was anticipated, in fact (if you read the article) they were still hoping to sell it as a "Going Concern" in 2006 . .

Well, thats where we still are. The other two buildings (see 'Part One' - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=159 ) closed down and were sold many years ago, and the main 'twin-tower' Newgate Street store is still up for sale in 2010.

Will the fact that this building is now opposite (what in a few weeks will become) the main outside entrance to a 'new' Newcastle Department Store (Debenhams) make the building more saleable?

I hope so, and hopefully (even yet) as a Department Store, just like it always has been!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 28th, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #175
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Likes (Received): 1

Thanks for those pictures NH, I remember those grand staircases well .. such a waste

Here's same fabulous store in 1948 ... from Percy St !

image hosted on flickr
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #176
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Love that one maxtoon. The place looks so 'permanent' doesn't it, like it will go on forever, as the good old Co-op Department Store!
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #177
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 106

The thing is, the whole street looks complete. It's sad that arguably that street has gone downhill since then due to developments like Eldon Square.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #178
hollow man

Likes (Received): 5

wow, great shots, that street has certainly gone massively downhill.

What do you call that weather thing and how exactly does it work?
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #179
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
wow, great shots, that street has certainly gone massively downhill.

What do you call that weather thing and how exactly does it work?

It's just a Barometer, and reacts to air pressure like the ones people have at home, except you can't reach it to bang it with your knuckle to see which way it's going . . unless you're 'King Kong' of course!!

I always thought it was a clever idea though, having it on one tower, to match up with the clock on the other tower!
Old January 29th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #180
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 186

A pic from Flickr of the street now, not sure if it's been posted before:

image hosted on flickr

The new Eldon Square South may not be an amazing piece of architecture, but it's far superior to what was there before. That Argos and the car park were really awful. I like the way the glass curve of this and the Gate work together, much more appropriate for an important location like this than the old 60's architecture that was there.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
england, historic newcastle, historic north east eng, history, newcastle, newcastle photos, newcastle retail, newcastle upon tyne, retail, shopping, united kingdom