daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #101
ExO-Photos
Petrolhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colmar
Posts: 3
Likes (Received): 0


Neuschwanstein castle in Germany might be a choice too. So idyllic. Many old roman/greek buildings are amazing; Gothic catherdals in Europe are beautiful too. And don't forget about Pyramids in Egypt.

I also agree about the kikakuji temple. Amazing building, so peaceful ... Nikko is great too but it's more a group of buildings thana single building.

As for modern buildings,


Calatrava's work in Valencia is wonderful.

I like the Porsche Museum :

The Birdnest in Beijong was a cool building too. The Tower in Shanghai (Gensler) with 632m is cool too. Guangzhou TV tower is great.

Well, you can't point ONE beautiful building, but lot of buildings are nice
__________________
I'm a carspotter in Eastern France

Trips : Hong-Kong / Singapore / Japan / to come : Paris
ExO-Photos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #102
datoriprogram
Registered User
 
datoriprogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm/New York
Posts: 989
Likes (Received): 426

Burj Dubai is certainly not beautiful. Neither was WTC. Those buildings were/are imposing and impressive, not beautiful.

Burj al Arab is so much more beautiful

Too high structures tend to be less beautiful because of the proportions. Just think of your favourite skyscraper and add a bunch of floors to it in your mind.

Take 30 St Mary Axe for example. I wouldn't find it as beautiful if it were the double height or more. That's at least how i feel.
datoriprogram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #103
Sittard
Registered User
 
Sittard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sittard/Shit-Art
Posts: 98
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoiweo View Post


Embassy Suites
are you ******* serious??? that building is not even what you call a nice building
__________________
the first skyscraper build on water!
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...038&highlight=
Sittard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #104
Sittard
Registered User
 
Sittard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sittard/Shit-Art
Posts: 98
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
Impressive buildings so far, but the World's tallest Building Burj Dubai located in Dubai, United Arab Emirates blows all the competition out of the water with its engineering and height (824.6m) as well as its beauty.

Credit to Imre Solt and Parisian Girl

Burj Dubai

[IMG]http://i49.************/106f3tg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/2epjxb6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/n2eruo.jpg[/IMG]

Bullshit! just because a building is big and great doesnt make it blow away all the competition!! i'd like to know what country you from and what cities you have visited in your life, because if you think this building blows away all the competition then you havnt seen much.

in my opinion it's hard to say what building is the most beautiful, i just like buildings in combination with eachother. but i do have some favourites:

don't know the name of it, Moscow


Der Reichstag, Berlin





The (London) Tower Bridge, London


BrandenBurger Tor, Berlin



Gedachtnis Kirche, Berlin




Acropolis, Athens




Big Ben, London


as you can see all from europe, i think the architecture is europe is diffirent in each country and each city that is what makes the cities in Europe so special.
__________________
the first skyscraper build on water!
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...038&highlight=

Last edited by Sittard; December 13th, 2009 at 12:33 AM.
Sittard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #105
Sittard
Registered User
 
Sittard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sittard/Shit-Art
Posts: 98
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
Lol I love when people are jealous of Dubai. I don't think it can be duplicated now. I bet you are the ones that concidered the WTC twin towers in NY to be beautiful... Why don't you read how it was built and how it is revolutionary instead of nagging over why your city can't build one. The architect is American. It is a stunning design. Something never done before!

Current records

* Tallest structure ever built: 818 m (2,684 ft) (previously Warsaw radio mast - 646.38 m (2,121 ft))
* Tallest structure: 818 m (2,684 ft) (previously KVLY-TV mast - 628.8 m (2,063 ft))
* Tallest freestanding structure: 818 m (2,684 ft) (previously CN Tower - 553.3 m (1,815 ft))
* Building with most floors: 160 (previously both 1 & 2 World Trade Center - 110)[21][3]
* World's highest elevator installation[22]
* Worlds fastest elevators at speed of 64 km/h (40 mph) or 18 m/s (59 ft/s)[22] (previously Taipei 101 – 16.83 m/s)
* Highest vertical concrete pumping (for a building): 601 m (1,972 ft) (previously Taipei 101 - 449.2 m (1,474 ft))
* Highest vertical concrete pumping (for any construction): 601 m (1,972 ft)[23] (previously Riva del Garda Hydroelectric Power Plant - 532 m (1,745 ft)[24])
* The first world's tallest structure in history to include residential space[1]


you're such a fag, we are not jealous of dubai.... dubai is a city that is build because a money and that now cant afford to build anything more because of the economical crisis, that's what you call a hugh fail, how can you be proud of that?!

it's more likely to be proud of cities that have grown of natural reasons, cities that have ugly and beautiful places, cities with a history:

- take Rome, this city had one ******* million villagers in the year 0, so 2000 years ago this city was bigger than most cities are nowadays.

- take Berlin, this city is destroyed so many times because of the all the wars and still it's a beautiful city.

- Take Athens, Buildings that survived hundreds of years old still are on top of the highest hill and highest place of the city right in the center of city.

that is beautiful, not loads buildings of 300 meters high build in 5 years standing some where in the ******* desert!

sorry dude but you have no idea of what is trully beautiful, you should look up more cities and there history in this forum.
__________________
the first skyscraper build on water!
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...038&highlight=
Sittard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #106
dark_shadow1
arctic tern
 
dark_shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,093
Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
Lol I love when people are jealous of Dubai. I don't think it can be duplicated now. I bet you are the ones that concidered the WTC twin towers in NY to be beautiful... Why don't you read how it was built and how it is revolutionary instead of nagging over why your city can't build one. The architect is American. It is a stunning design. Something never done before!

Current records

* Tallest structure ever built: 818 m (2,684 ft) (previously Warsaw radio mast - 646.38 m (2,121 ft))
* Tallest structure: 818 m (2,684 ft) (previously KVLY-TV mast - 628.8 m (2,063 ft))
* Tallest freestanding structure: 818 m (2,684 ft) (previously CN Tower - 553.3 m (1,815 ft))
* Building with most floors: 160 (previously both 1 & 2 World Trade Center - 110)[21][3]
* World's highest elevator installation[22]
* Worlds fastest elevators at speed of 64 km/h (40 mph) or 18 m/s (59 ft/s)[22] (previously Taipei 101 – 16.83 m/s)
* Highest vertical concrete pumping (for a building): 601 m (1,972 ft) (previously Taipei 101 - 449.2 m (1,474 ft))
* Highest vertical concrete pumping (for any construction): 601 m (1,972 ft)[23] (previously Riva del Garda Hydroelectric Power Plant - 532 m (1,745 ft)[24])
* The first world's tallest structure in history to include residential space[1]
Who cares? This thread is about beautiful structures- not about record breaking structures. BD has a normal design because it's impossible to make an 800 meters high tower with a complicated design. BD can never compete the complexity of gothic churches, the amazing design of building like Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, the domes of some amazing Russian Orthodox churches or the detail of some old mosques. It was constructed only in order to be the tallest structure on Earth- nothing else.
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:40 AM   #107
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 389
Likes (Received): 13

dubai is such trash. Yes there is the worlds tallest building. Yes there are islands shaped like palm trees. Yes there is indoor skiing. But it is not beautiful, interesting, or nice in anyway. The weather is scortching hot. You cannot walk anywhere, as you have to drive down 8 lane roads. You cant go to restaurants and shops, except for in malls. It is in the middle of the dessert, and is an ecological nightmare, as grass and trees are being planted in the desert, and that requires tons of water. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, it is not a realy city. You want a city? Go to New York or Paris or Chicago or London. Dubai is highways and overly opulent hotels. It is not interesting in any way.

Dubai is a waste. There is no need for it, and now that the economy is down the drain, there are huge issues. So have fun bragging about all the feats that have been accomplished in Dubai, because facts and figures dont change the fact that the "city" is a dump.
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #108
jasoiweo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 81
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
Lol I love when people are jealous of Dubai. I don't think it can be duplicated now. I bet you are the ones that concidered the WTC twin towers in NY to be beautiful... Why don't you read how it was built and how it is revolutionary instead of nagging over why your city can't build one. The architect is American. It is a stunning design. Something never done before!

Current records

* Tallest structure ever built: 818 m (2,684 ft) (previously Warsaw radio mast - 646.38 m (2,121 ft))
* Tallest structure: 818 m (2,684 ft) (previously KVLY-TV mast - 628.8 m (2,063 ft))
* Tallest freestanding structure: 818 m (2,684 ft) (previously CN Tower - 553.3 m (1,815 ft))
* Building with most floors: 160 (previously both 1 & 2 World Trade Center - 110)[21][3]
* World's highest elevator installation[22]
* Worlds fastest elevators at speed of 64 km/h (40 mph) or 18 m/s (59 ft/s)[22] (previously Taipei 101 – 16.83 m/s)
* Highest vertical concrete pumping (for a building): 601 m (1,972 ft) (previously Taipei 101 - 449.2 m (1,474 ft))
* Highest vertical concrete pumping (for any construction): 601 m (1,972 ft)[23] (previously Riva del Garda Hydroelectric Power Plant - 532 m (1,745 ft)[24])
* The first world's tallest structure in history to include residential space[1]
tall doesnt equal beautiful you ******* idiot. burj dubai is the ugliest building in the world, doesn't even look tall because it's so thin.
jasoiweo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #109
jasoiweo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 81
Likes (Received): 17

salt dome in southfield
jasoiweo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #110
jasoiweo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 81
Likes (Received): 17

toys r' us store, chi-chi's
jasoiweo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #111
Guest89
----SSC ®----
 
Guest89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,137
Likes (Received): 36

I didn't know my contribution to this thread would cause an international incedent.

I am just giving my opnion like the rest of you. Everybody has different opnions. I like the architecture of the Burj Dubai, because it has unique core and given the engineering challenges to build such a structure have never been overcome before until now. For the person who asked to how many cities I've been to, I can tell you probably more than you. I could have posted other landmarks as beautiful, but decided to go with a skyscraper that would take your and any other red tape country ages to build. The architect is from Chicago and as far as I remember from my visit, Chicago has beautiful landmarks.

In addition I gave the records of the tower so you can see what is so revolutionary about it. If you don't think thats revolutionary then you have no idea of what revolutionary means. Yes the building is made to be tall... but a building cant be so tall without a great design! It's design is to reflect wind so it doesnt sway too much ect. Some of you complaining probably never even went to Dubai.

It's ok to have your own opinion without having to nag over mine.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #112
datoriprogram
Registered User
 
datoriprogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm/New York
Posts: 989
Likes (Received): 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
I didn't know my contribution to this thread would cause an international incedent.

I am just giving my opnion like the rest of you. Everybody has different opnions. I like the architecture of the Burj Dubai, because it has unique core and given the engineering challenges to build such a structure have never been overcome before until now. For the person who asked to how many cities I've been to, I can tell you probably more than you. I could have posted other landmarks as beautiful, but decided to go with a skyscraper that would take your and any other red tape country ages to build. The architect is from Chicago and as far as I remember from my visit, Chicago has beautiful landmarks.

In addition I gave the records of the tower so you can see what is so revolutionary about it. If you don't think thats revolutionary then you have no idea of what revolutionary means. Yes the building is made to be tall... but a building cant be so tall without a great design! It's design is to reflect wind so it doesnt sway too much ect. Some of you complaining probably never even went to Dubai.

It's ok to have your own opinion without having to nag over mine.
The issue with your argument is that you include height, revolutionary, records, how fast you built it and engineering challenges. Ask yourself, is that the criteria for a beautiful building? It's not the most impressive, not the most imposing, it's the most beautiful.

In my opinion Burj Dubai isn't beautiful in much aspects. Not the way it has been built, not the glass, not the design and not the building. But it's absolutely revolutionary, in the exact sense as the pyramids. They are not beautiful, but impressive!
datoriprogram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #113
Guest89
----SSC ®----
 
Guest89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,137
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by datoriprogram View Post
The issue with your argument is that you include height, revolutionary, records, how fast you built it and engineering challenges. Ask yourself, is that the criteria for a beautiful building? It's not the most impressive, not the most imposing, it's the most beautiful.

In my opinion Burj Dubai isn't beautiful in much aspects. Not the way it has been built, not the glass, not the design and not the building. But it's absolutely revolutionary, in the exact sense as the pyramids. They are not beautiful, but impressive!
Well sorry for not meeting your criteria for beautiful but everybody has a different criteria for what a beautiful building is. The person above who was complaining put a ruin in Anthens (Acropolis) as a beautiful building. Are you serious? Yes it has stunning features but according to you thats not beautiful, just impressive right?

Anyways I like the architecture of/in Dubai as a whole. All beautiful buildings are designed to impress regardless of height. Burj Dubai just so happens to be the tallest.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #114
datoriprogram
Registered User
 
datoriprogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm/New York
Posts: 989
Likes (Received): 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
Well sorry for not meeting your criteria for beautiful but everybody has a different criteria for what a beautiful building is. The person above who was complaining put a ruin in Anthens (Acropolis) as a beautiful building. Are you serious? Yes it has stunning features but according to you thats not beautiful, just impressive right?
Yes, and I don't agree with him obviously. That's just impressive and stunning, not beautiful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauty

Proportions!
datoriprogram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #115
Seomul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
Likes (Received): 0

Nice building pictures.
__________________
Seo Marketing Services
Seomul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #116
Guest89
----SSC ®----
 
Guest89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,137
Likes (Received): 36

Lol this is going nowhere... how do you define beautiful? It's like defining a beautiful girl... everybody has diferent tastes. You can't define the term beautiful without giving some characteristics.

From the link that you posted:

"Beauty is a characteristic of a person, animal, place, object, or idea that provides a perceptual experience of pleasure, meaning, or satisfaction."

Different people see different characteristics which they like about something. You can't tell a person that what he/she thinks looks beautiful is not. it's like art. How do you know what a picture is conveying to call it beautiful? Something that you personally like. I personally like the characteristics of the building and its why I think its beautiful and imposing.

We can go on till tomorrow with a debate on beauty, but ironically thats the beauty of life, the many different opinions out there.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #117
minneapolis-uptown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 812
Likes (Received): 47

Cathedral of Saint Paul in St. Paul Minnesota






Basilica of Saint Mary in Minneapolis, Minnesota
image hosted on flickr




image hosted on flickr
minneapolis-uptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #118
gooseberry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 89
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Basilica of Saint Mary in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Oh wow! I've never seen that before, it's gorgeous. I went and looked it up on google maps and I see they put highways right next to it. That's awful.

Quote:
toys r' us store, chi-chi's

Last edited by gooseberry; December 15th, 2009 at 10:04 AM.
gooseberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #119
NYCD
Registered User
 
NYCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 462
Likes (Received): 1203

Palace of Versailles just outside of Paris.


I think one of the most beautiful, inside and out.







NYCD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #120
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Agreed.

To this day it's the most beautiful thing (building-wise) I've ever seen.

But then, I'll be visiting the Taj Mahal for the first time this January.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu