search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > 3D Designs

3D Designs Showcase for your designs done in CAD, SketchUp or other 3D programs

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #1
hella good
Something of a monster

Likes (Received): 1630

Orobeii City

Hello folks! I thought I'd finally create a thread about this project of mine, I started the plan for it well over a year ago but had to put it on ice for a while.

Well I now have time to work on it for a while, so here is Orobeii! Pronounced o-ro-bay-e

It is set along the River Oro and was designed along a series of geometric avenues and boulevards similar to parts of Paris and Barcelona, it is however stylistically reminiscent of, and inspired by many of the cities around the Baltic such as Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo and Helsinki. The city has an older low-rise centre around the city hall area but as it spreads outwards from the centre various built up areas formed in clusters. much like Budapest, the city is split in half by the river and the southern half eventually ends up along the marina which leads out to the sea.

The city began as a trading port but today is one of the most culturally developed cities in the world and is home to the largest collection of creative arts communities and companies in the world.

Here are the early development sketches of the city plan

(3D images to follow shortly)

Here is the completed official city map for Orobeii:

Click on thumbnail for full size version:

Below is a district map of the city:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hella good; July 5th, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Evrasia 99911
Некiт-Photo Correspondent

Likes (Received): 28820

Looks interesting, but I don't fully understand ...
This will be the construction of the city? Or what is it?

Old July 5th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #3
hella good
Something of a monster

well im designing the city as I go along, but no its not a construction based thread. The first images will explain i think

Old July 5th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 887

I like it! can't wait to see the progress ;D

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #5
hella good
Something of a monster

thanks I'll be posting images of the city as im designing it. Itll be more massing based but im planning on creating drawings for it later on as well.

Im working on the centre at the moment, the city hall district, which is the older area of the city with many grand public buildings, situated around the main square which is in fact a circle haha

Old July 5th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #6
ThomasB443
Florenceism

Likes (Received): 14

Looks Great Hella Very interesting! And good to see someone else from Sheffield in this section
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #7
hella good
Something of a monster

Thanks i was here quite often a few years ago, built many a city, but uni work got too much so i had to take some time away from recreational city building But yes its very nice to have a fellow Sheffielder here

Old July 6th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #8
CL-Arch

Likes (Received): 0

I see that your city is geometrically very advanced, the way in which you join geometric axes are quite interesting, futher other well-crafted details. I just have a question, what about the topography of the terrain of your city, have you had ready?
CL-Arch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #9
hella good
Something of a monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL-Arch View Post
I see that your city is geometrically very advanced, the way in which you join geometric axes are quite interesting, futher other well-crafted details. I just have a question, what about the topography of the terrain of your city, have you had ready?
Thank you very much, that's very complimentary Well the terrain of the area is basically flat so there isnt a great variation in topography, the changes in level are mainly around the river level where the parkland is, most of which is a gradual incline. It's one of the reasons that the city was able to be designed in such a geometric way, if the terrain was much more changeable the road layout would have been very different.

Old July 6th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #10
hella good
Something of a monster

Ok so here is the first update, the red area on the map below shows the area ive completed. As you can see it looks small on the map but is in fact quite a large area. This is the central point of the city, the Circular area is City Hall Square, i came up with many designs for the landscaping of the square and the current one is a very safe option that i decided to keep for the time being, however i may change it so that the public can walk over the streets instead of having to cross them. at the moment there are green areas, kiosks and the metro station entrances in the square. The large road running through the centre is Orostad Avenue which has a tram running along the middle, bordered by a row of trees either side, then the lanes for vehicles on the outer edges.

Last edited by hella good; July 6th, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old July 6th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #11
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 887

Very nice!
Hm, I suppose you are gonna keep it untextured ?
I wonder what you are gonna make for the Haus Of G.

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #12
hella good
Something of a monster

Thanks, Yeah its going to stay untextured, mainly because my computer wouldn't be able to handle the whole city whith textures, i need a new one. But im going to draw over some images to illustrate how it looks.

Well the haus will have to stay a suprise

Old July 6th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #13
Evrasia 99911
Некiт-Photo Correspondent

Likes (Received): 28820

Awesome!)
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #14
jeremy.ordog
Jerord

Likes (Received): 20

Wow very impressive, I like the fact that your adding details onto your buildings. Looks like you'll have a huge project set out for you. My only recommendation would be to add curves where the paved portion of the roads intersect (makes it more realistic).

Great job, can't wait to see it completed.
jeremy.ordog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #15
jerome34

I love your work! I'm impatient for the next! Congratulation!
jerome34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #16
xdexina
"Dex" for the friends!

Likes (Received): 31

outstanding work
xdexina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #17
jerome34

What softs use you for to make your map and your model?
jerome34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #18
hella good
Something of a monster

Thanks for your comments guys, its really appreciated.
That's a good point jeremy, I'm definitely planning on improving the way the roads look so I will probably round the pavements off as you suggested
I also haven't done any work on the edges of the river yet, hence why its all at the same level as the street.

jerome34, I've literally just used sketchup for the modelling and the podium plugin to render it. The maps were created half on sketchup and half on photoshop really

Not a new image, I've just labelled some of the more important buildings, if you want any info or different views of things pleas do ask

Last edited by hella good; July 7th, 2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old July 8th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #19
hella good
Something of a monster

Bit of an update, the triangular plot to the west of the city hall has been completed.

One of the main buildings on this plot is the Registry Office and office for marriage licencing, although the building is known better by its nickname 'The Beehive' due to the repeated hexagon plan.
Built in 1974, the building was designed by one of the cities most influential modernist architects; Philippe Tzieger, who's work is often likened to that of Louis Kahn and Alvar Aalto

Old July 12th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #20
hella good
Something of a monster

Another update