daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

NEW JERSEY | LRT

New Jersey Transit has Light Rail Operations in Most of the Major Cities in New Jersey , except Paterson. Riverline services Southern Jersey Cities along Delaware River Between Trenton & Camden. Hudson-Bergen Services most of the NJ Gold Coast , Bayonne , Jersey City , Hoboken , Weehawken , Union City , North Bergen , And Future Extensions North & West

Newark has 2 Lines : City Subway & Broad Street Connector.

Newark Subway / Light Rail Train entering Silver Lake Station in Belleville,NJ

Newark Penn Station Light Rail

image hosted on flickr

Newark Penn Station - Light Rail Station by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Newark Penn Station - Light Rail Station by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Newark Penn Station - Newark Light Rail - Newark - New Jersey by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Newark Light Rail @ Penn Station by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Military Park

image hosted on flickr

Newark Light Rail - Military Park Station by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Newark Light Rail Mural @ Military Park Station by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Washington Street

image hosted on flickr

Downtown Newark in the Early Evening Hours by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Newark Light Rail - Washington Street by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Newark Light Rail - Washington Street by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section

geometarkv, mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; May 1st, 2013 at 10:12 PM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Whey, I've been waiting for this thread. Good system, does its purpose. I used to run the length of the tracks when I lived there.
Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #3
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10397

Nice pics. Reminds me a lot of Buffalo's Metro Rail.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #4
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Now onto the Southern Part of State , and the RiverLine Light Rail Diesel line.
Connects The Trenton Transit Center & North East Corridor to Camden,NJ & Soon PATCO High Speed Line, And Atlantic City Line

Map

add in Flickr Riverline photos

Last edited by Nexis; April 30th, 2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Hudson-Bergen LRT Network Services NJ Gold Coast , Form Bayonne , To North Bergen , via Jersey City , Hoboken , Weehawken , Union City: Soon Ridgefield , Englewood & Tenefly,NJ as another segment is added. 2 More routes are under study , and i think they become a part of the Network , one goes to Secacuse JCT Rail Station & another to Sports Complex via the Secacuse Business Disrect.

We Start off in Bayonne at the Southern Terminal , for now , in a few weeks a new Station Opens up, to better connect with Staten Island Buses.

add in 22nd to Hoboken Flickr photos

mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; April 30th, 2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old November 25th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #6
Nozumi 300

Likes (Received): 6

Hey, thanks for the amazing pictures. I was wondering if taking the light rail is a good way to explore and sight see New Jersey? Also are the tickets purchsed by zones and time based?
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #7
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Nozumi 300 : I have a NJ Transit Railway thread in the Railway Forum, The LRT Network is good for Exploring the NJ Gold Coast which is the part of New Jersey That is across form Manhattan. The Newark LRT is mainly for City Folk for commuting and traveling, RiverLine is a Great line , but be cautious in Camden , it can be very dangerous down there , unlike Newark , Jersey City , or Elizabeth , Camden is neglected and has crime problems. I payed a for a one-way ticket , it was 1.90$ , you can utilize the Numerous Buses , or Walk around most of NJ Gold Coast if its a great day. Ask the Rail Questions in my NJ Transit Rail Thread.

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail > http://www.mylightrail.com/index.php
West Side Ave Terminal to Tonnelle Avenue Terminal, West Side Ave , will get extended to Route 440 in the future.

add West side Ave Branch Flickr photos

Last edited by Nexis; April 30th, 2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old November 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #8
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

I have photos of every station of HBLR, and could get some more of NCS and RiverLINE, when i do you can replace the borrowed images with them. Will send PM if/when i get a complete collection.

Also, the old cars were not all sent away, several remain on the property parked on the tail track at communipaw yard (near liberty state park station) awaiting restoration for use in bayonne.

I will also be posting some of my stuff here.

- A
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #9
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Replace all corrupted videos

Last edited by Nexis; April 30th, 2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old November 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #10
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

http://www.northjersey.com/news/envi.../75535137.html
Quote:
Expanding light rail in Bergen would save gas, the environment
Friday, November 27, 2009
Last updated: Friday November 27, 2009, 11:52 AM
BY SCOTT FALLON
The Record
STAFF WRITER

Ridership may be down slightly this year on the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, but it still saves commuters enough gasoline to power 6,000 cars annually, according to a new report by environmental advocates.

The report, released this week, echoes calls by several local and state leaders to extend the light rail from North Bergen, where it now ends, to Tenafly on the Northern Branch rail line.

Supporters say the line helps the environment by taking cars off the road while boosting the economy – notably the thousands of apartment units and condominiums that have sprouted along the Hudson River in the past decade.

In a report titled "On the Right Track," the advocacy group Environment New Jersey said the 16 million riders the light rail served in 2008 saved more than 3.4 million gallons of gasoline and reduced carbon dioxide pollution by more than 37,000 tons.

The 16 million figure was a 13 percent increase from 2007. This year's total is expected to drop about 1 percent due to the economic downturn.

"It's still a significant amount of people who commute using the light rail and it will only grow if it's extended," said Rob McCulloch, who wrote the report for Environment New Jersey.

The 11-mile extension would provide a 17-minute commute from the Tenafly-Cresskill border to Hudson County, which has easy access to New York City. Trains would transport an estimated 24,000 passengers daily.

Governor Corzine said this past summer that NJ Transit would use electric cars rather than diesel-powered trains to extend the line to Tenafly.

Governor-elect Chris Christie has said he supports the light rail extension, but opposes borrowing to fund major transportation projects given New Jersey's massive budget deficit. Only $40 million has been dedicated to the project, whose costs are estimated at up to $900 million.. New Jersey is looking at federal transportation dollars to fund the project.

"Hopefully, [Christie's administration] will be as much a champion of this project as Governor Corzine's was," McCulloch said.
Of the numerous proposals for extending this system, I was unaware of this plan and even more surprised it's the most likely to be carried out. But it seems given the financial situation and recent regime change in the State of New Jersey, it's unlikely any new lines will be built soon I'm afraid.
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #11
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Christie is pro-automobile.

- A
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #12
Nexis
Dark Wolf

It doubt the North Branch Extension will get Delayed ,& The Route 440 Ext , there 2 Key Projects. + 2011 is when they break ground not 2010. So we have some time.

Tonnelle Avenue Terminal

image hosted on flickr

100_2403 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

100_2406 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

100_2407 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

100_2408 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

100_2397 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Last edited by Nexis; November 6th, 2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:54 AM   #13
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Replace all corrupted videos

Last edited by Nexis; April 30th, 2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #14
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Essex Street Light Rail

image hosted on flickr

100_9985 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Light Rail Running in Exchange Place - Jersey City,New Jersey by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Light Rail Running in Paulus Hook - Jersey City,New Jersey by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Light Rail Running in Paulus Hook - Jersey City,New Jersey by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; May 1st, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #15
Eurotram
Eurotram

Likes (Received): 2958

I saw put above photos and I don't know what to say,especially about the River Line.It's just... wow! So strange,so beautiful,so interesting.It's rather hard to find many light rails,which use diesel mutltiple units in the city just like trams;and (on the other hand) the "village" (?) part of this line (eg. Crosswicks bridge) just "asks" visitors to take some photos.It looks like (forgive me that I compare to european examples,but they are closer to me) somebody tried to mix Vogtlandbahn (Germany) with Stubaitalbahn (Austria). Maybe these examples ill make my oppinion clear:

Vogtlandbahn: diesel multiple units "try to imitate" trams in Zwickau (there is an existing tram system and on this area DMU's go like trams):

Notice,that there is a third rail due to different gauge (DMU 1435mm,tram - 1000mm).

Stubaitalbahn (former local railway,today... officially no changes;unofficially it's a local... tramline) : there is a bridge even most charming than on RL:

Now on this bridge you can see such a trams:

And one interesting thing:quite soon there will be the official opening of the new light rail system in... Bergen.But in Bergen in Norway
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Eurotram; December 8th, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Eurotram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #16
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

http://www.northjersey.com/news/tran.../79030112.html
Quote:
Not all aboard in Leonia
Friday, December 11, 2009
BY MAXIM ALMENAS
Leonia Life
STAFF WRITER

Leonia residents may return to the nostalgic days of passenger travel by rail, an image not seen since the 1950s.

But 60 years later, increases in population and additional vehicles, combined with the Borough's proximity to six major highways had many residents at the light rail information session Dec. 1 concerned their "sleepy town" will be turned into a parking lot by New Jersey Transit's light rail service.

"I am a filmmaker and the esthetic of Leonia is precious," said Leonia resident David Roland during the session at the Anna C. Scott school cafeteria. "My wife and I didn't move to Englewood or Fort Lee for that reason. I don't see how this [light rail] will reduce congestion."

Fort Lee Road, a highly congested area, especially during rush hour, is one of four areas NJ Transit is proposing to build a station to get riders into the center of town. The station would be located near the intersection of the rail line and Fort Lee Road, on the border of Station Park and Overpeck Park.

This area would allow between 550 and 700 parking spaces. NJ Transit is also considering a three-story parking garage to reduce the physical footprint of the proposed parking facilities.

Another proposed site is Overpeck Park. Despite Green Acres regulations, Bergen County can allow parking and station development in Overpeck Park, land over which Leonia has no control.

But travel consultant Mark Gordon from Urbana Consulting, who was hired by the Borough, along with Jessica Giorgianni from H2M, to advice on the pros and cons of the plan, doesn't believe the rail would dissolve Leonia's small town charm.

"A train can add a quality of life and options to the community," said Gordon, a former employee of NJ Transit, adding he has a major train service traveling through the center of his hometown of Maplewood. "It's up to the community to respond to it in an appropriate way, so that if there is a new development, it occurs where you want it to happen."

The NJ Transit proposal, dubbed the Northern Branch Corridor Project, would run on existing railroad tracks currently used by diesel freight trains to travel through North Bergen, Fairview, Ridgefield, Palisades Park and Leonia, before continuing on to Englewood and Tenafly.

The proposed commuter line would tie into ferry and PATH service to New York with a running time estimated at 15 minutes from Leonia to the Weehawken Ferry Terminal and 27 minutes to the Hoboken Terminal connecting to the PATH and downtown ferry services.

Jitney or shuttle buses might also be deployed throughout Leonia and Fort Lee bus stops to transport commuters to the new train station.

Although several residents remained opposed to the project, Gordon made it clear that NJ Transit and the Federal Transit Administration would make the final decision as to whether or not stations are built in the boroughs.

"The decision on this type of project is generally not made at the local level," Gordon explained. "The local leaders do have the opportunity to advocate for aspects of it to make it fit better with the goals of the Borough."

Matt Brennan, a resident and member of The Leonia Transportation Committee, a group dedicated to analyzing the Leonia Light Rail project for the last five years, said the process is more about maximizing the outcome for the Borough, not stopping it.

"We pushed for a 'kiss and drop,'" said Brennan of a type of station that allows passengers to be dropped off, eliminating the need of a parking lot. "We learned early on that NJT will not have a 'no parking' train station."

Brennan said a proposed three-story parking garage would reduce one third the physical size of the footprint from parking.

Leonia resident Steve Churchill suggested using the current Department of Public Works site, located in the Henry Hoebel section of Overpeck Park, for the station and parking garage and relocating the DPW.

"It would have no impact," said Churchill. "Nobody sees it back there."

In the end, Mayor Mary Heveran was pleased to hear some of the ideas from residents regarding the placement of parking not previously brought to the table, and is looking forward to seeing more Leonians become engaged in discussion of the future rail.

"The next step is to review the DEIS [Draft Environmental Impact Statement], which according to NJT will not be available until late February or early March," said Heveran. "Once that report is made public, we have 45 days to comment. I'm hoping that as soon as the report comes out, that we will have a survey available that we will send out electronically."

E-mail: [email protected] or call 201-894-6725
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #17
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Fix corrupted videos

Old December 26th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #18
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Nexis did you post any of the pictures we took?

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #19
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Newport Mall : Hudson-Bergen Light Rail : Jersey City

image hosted on flickr

~Corey

mrsmartman liked this post
Old February 1st, 2010, 08:07 AM   #20
Nexis
Dark Wolf

replaced corrupted videos

Tags
new jersey lrt, new jersey transit, riverline