daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #41
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyCity View Post
Never realised that there were light rail systems in New Jersey. I always assumed rail transit out of New York was limited to PATH and NJT. I assume the Newark and Hudson-Bergen systems act as feeder services to PATH and NJT.

My question is, why dosn't the River Line run into central Philadelphia, as I believe Camden is quite close to it (correct me if i'm wrong).
The PATCO and Atlantic City line connect into Center City Philly form Jersey. The Riverline acts as a connector between the Northeast Corridor , and Atlantic lines and Future West Trenton line. Its not really a Light Rail , as it runs on Regional Rail Frequency and the stops are spread out.

PATH & NJ Light Rail Extensions - 2040 plan

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...938354&t=p&z=8
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #42
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5757

The first segment of HBLR opened in Jersey City in April 2000. What followed was a frenzy of light-rail construction throughout the state. New HBLR segments opened every year between 2002 and 2006, inclusive; River Line opened in March 2004, and on July 17, 2006, the stretch of Newark LR between Penn Sta and Broad St opened.

Now, four-and-a-half years later, HBLR is being extended to the southernmost reaches of Bayonne. And now what?

The decade that saw the introduction and growth of light rail all over the Garden State is over. Nothing new is under construction. There are maps on blogs, there are ideas in train geeks' heads. But nothing has moved past the PDF phase.

Well, except the Pennsauken Transit Center. Not an extension but an infill station to connect the two least-used lines in the New Jersey rail system - the River Line and the Atlantic City Line. They had a groundbreaking during the Corzine administration. That was it. There's no work being done. A bunch of dirt sitting around.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewt...p?f=69&t=77375

What a shame.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #43
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
The first segment of HBLR opened in Jersey City in April 2000. What followed was a frenzy of light-rail construction throughout the state. New HBLR segments opened every year between 2002 and 2006, inclusive; River Line opened in March 2004, and on July 17, 2006, the stretch of Newark LR between Penn Sta and Broad St opened.

Now, four-and-a-half years later, HBLR is being extended to the southernmost reaches of Bayonne. And now what?

The decade that saw the introduction and growth of light rail all over the Garden State is over. Nothing new is under construction. There are maps on blogs, there are ideas in train geeks' heads. But nothing has moved past the PDF phase.

Well, except the Pennsauken Transit Center. Not an extension but an infill station to connect the two least-used lines in the New Jersey rail system - the River Line and the Atlantic City Line. They had a groundbreaking during the Corzine administration. That was it. There's no work being done. A bunch of dirt sitting around.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewt...p?f=69&t=77375

What a shame.
I took those form the long term state plans , and few employee ideas. The Light Rail boom is over for this decade , now it seems to be a Regional Rail boom. But i think Light Rail will come back in the 2020s. As for the Pennsauken Transit Center , i guess i have take to a few politcains again...too get things going.
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #44
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

What regional rail boom?
There's NOTHING getting built
The ARC project was supposed to bypass the Hudson River Tunnel.
The governor needs a gastric bypass, can he even fit in a train seat?
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #45
Nexis
Dark Wolf

The ARC was a poorly designed project form the get go....i'm surprised it wasn't killed a decade ago. Alot of Rail Groups didn't support it due to its flaws.... Hehe , Christie causes the air in his tires to escape.
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:02 AM   #46
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

8th Street station opens on HBLR in Bayonne

pix from flickr user toptrain2100

image hosted on flickr

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3043153...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Star-Ledger
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...nne_8th_s.html

Quote:
NJ Transit opens Bayonne 8th Street Station, extending Hudson-Bergen Light Rail service
Published: Monday, January 31, 2011, 7:40 PM
Updated: Monday, January 31, 2011, 7:43 PM

By Mike Frassinelli/The Star-Ledger

BAYONNE — In time, it could be one of the most exhilarating and unusual rides from New Jersey.

But first things first.

Before there can be a rail connection between New Jersey and Staten Island via the famed Bayonne Bridge, NJ Transit today opened the nearby 8th Street Station in Bayonne and continued Hudson-Bergen Light Rail service on a 1-mile extension beyond the light rail’s previous southernmost boundary at 22nd Street.

Possibilities down the tracks include extending the service to Staten Island over the Bayonne Bridge, which will be lifted to allow taller cargo ships to pass under.

"That would be phenomenal," said Bayonne Council President Terry Ruane, who as a youngster used to take his bicycle over the distinctive bridge, the longest steel arch span in the world when it was completed in 1931. "The Port Authority has been floating the idea. But we’re going to go one step at a time."

And to the students, politicians and rail advocates who gathered outside the new station at 8th Street and Avenue C today, the latest step was a giant one.

Bayonne Mayor Mark Smith was in high school when that part of downtown Bayonne waved goodbye to train service nearly 33 years ago. "The last time a train rolled out of here was in August of 1978, headed for Cranford and points west," he said.

For 113 years previously, Smith said, Bayonne had been part of the reliable Jersey Central railroad system that linked the state.

Suddenly, in 1978, Smith said, "connectivity from the city of Bayonne to the rest of the state had been lost. Our ability to get to places like the Jersey Shore, Cranford and points west, gone forever — or so we thought. We were truly isolated."

Now, for $2.10, a rider can hop on a light rail train at 8th Street and be at the bustling Hoboken Terminal transportation hub a half-hour later. The 24-station line, which began service in 2000, continues to North Bergen, and plans are in place to extend it north to Bergen County.

"Bayonne may be the Peninsula City, but it is fully connected today," said U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.).

The system’s newest customer is Mary Tremitiedi, principal of the Holy Family Academy, a couple of blocks from the new station. She has been driving from Hoboken to the school, but will instead take the light rail, as will many of her students.

Joined by students wearing their school uniforms, Tremitiedi also said extending the rail line from Bayonne to Staten Island could help expand the student body of her school.

Others touted the increased property values, less stressful transport to school or work and the light rail’s green benefits — environmentally and financially. The new station was designed as a walking station for residents in the immediate area, but there also is a so-called "Kiss and Ride" area with 10 short-term parking spaces for riders wanting to get dropped off or picked up at the station.

A mural of Bayonne by Richard Haas adorns the entrance of the new station, part of the $100 million project.

In a snow-weary city where plowed-out parking spaces were at a premium, U.S. Rep. Albio Sires (D-13th Dist.) said: "Days like this, it just proves our point that we need the train to get around, we need the light rail to get around."

The new station was dedicated to the late Bob Burrows, a longtime Bayonne community servant and light-rail advocate.

© 2011 NJ.com. All rights reserved.
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:54 AM   #47
Nexis
Dark Wolf

When i got there 20 mins later , the crowd was gone....but i still got good pictures which i'll post later....
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:59 AM   #48
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
When i got there 20 mins later , the crowd was gone....but i still got good pictures which i'll post later....
Shame about that. Please post those good pictures.
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:22 AM   #49
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I went to 34th Street in Bayonne and heres the Rail view form 8th - 22nd Street..

Old February 1st, 2011, 07:38 AM   #50
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12279

interesting.....
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #51
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Jersey City Independent
http://www.jerseycityindependent.com...t-for-tonight/

Quote:
NJ Transit Picks Favored Plan for Extending Light Rail on Jersey City’s West Side; Public Meeting Set for Tonight
By Jon Whiten • Feb 2nd, 2011

The proposed route for a light rail extension over Route 440.

NJ Transit has picked its preferred plan for extending the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail (HBLR) across Route 440 to the Hackensack River and what will eventually become the Bayfront development, and the agency is holding another public open house meeting on the project tonight at New Jersey City University (NJCU).

The agency has done in-depth studies of four possible configurations to bring mass transit connections to the western waterfront of the city. It will be recommending Alternative 1A, a $171.6 million plan that extends the rail line from the West Side Avenue station to just one station, at Bayfront. The trip between the two stations would take 1 minute and 50 seconds, and the agency is recommending this plan because it provides direct service to Bayfront, avoids impact on existing HBLR operations and “provides transit benefit to the western waterfront at a lower cost than Alternative 1C.”

That plan, 1C, would extend the line to Bayfront, but with two stops — one terminus at Bayfront, and one in between, just east of Route 440. That project would be more expensive than NJ Transit’s preferred one, and could “pose schedule risks” if service disruptions were to occur.

The other two plans are both cheaper than the one NJ Transit will recommend, but neither brings a rail line all the way into the Bayfront development, an ambitious vision for the former Honeywell site that calls for the creation of a “work where you live” community comprising 4,000 to 8,600 residential units and between 750,000 and 1.2 million square feet of commercial space, as well as more than 20 acres of open space.

The Alternative 1D would end the light rail extension just east of Route 440, and run a pedestrian bridge over the highway into Bayfront. The Transportation Systems Management (TSM) Alternative wouldn’t extend the light rail at all, but would instead introduce a shuttle bus system connecting the West Side Avenue station, NJCU’s West Campus, Bayfront and Society Hill.

“The TSM Alternative would improve access for future residents of the western waterfront, but it would be inconsistent with the approved Bayfront plan and would attract far fewer new riders than the light rail alternatives,” NJ Transit says in a fact sheet.

NJ Transit is accepting public comments on the report through February 15. To download the draft report, or for more information on the project, click here. To submit comments, email feedback (at) hblr440aa.com.
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #52
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Are there plans, in the near future, to order new lrt vehicles for either HBLR or Newark LRT?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #53
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Are there plans, in the near future, to order new lrt vehicles for either HBLR or Newark LRT?
Probably not intill they near the Capacity of 100,000 trips on the HBLR and 30,000 on the NLR. There nearing it on the Riverline , but idk about newer cars down there.
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #54
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Includes the New 8th Street station...

Old March 13th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #55
Nexis
Dark Wolf

2 Hudson Bergen LRT videos...

Old March 16th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #56
Nexis
Dark Wolf

An Overview of the Riverline stations...

Daily Ridership : 11,000 (Projected 2020 Ridership : 25,000)
Large Scale Developments are planned /proposed for...
36th Street
Pennsuaken Transit Center
Cinnaminson
Riverside
Delanco
Burlington South
Florence
Roebling
Cass Street
Hamilton Ave
Trenton Transit Center

Last edited by Nexis; May 1st, 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old April 28th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #57
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I don't think ive posted this video before....

Old May 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #58
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old June 25th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #59
Nexis
Dark Wolf

What the LRT systems could look like by 2040.

Station by Station

Newark Light Rail
Main line
Newark Penn station
Military Park
Washington Street
Warren Street
Norfolk Street
Orange Street
Park Ave
Bloomfield Ave
Davenport Ave
Branch Brook Park
Silver Lake
Grove Street
Wateseeing Ave
Prospect Street
Glenwood Ave
Brighton Ave
Thomas Boulevard
High Street
Thomas Edison Historic Site / Lakeside Ave
Park Ave

Board Street Branch
Newark Penn station
NJPAC / centre street
Atlantic Street / Washington Park
Newark Board Street

RiverLine
Trenton Transit Center
Hamilton Ave
Cass Street
Bordentown
Roebling
Florence
Burlington Towne Centre
Burlington South
Beverly-Edgewater Park
Delanco
Riverside
Cinnaminson
Riverton
Palmyra
Pennsauken-Route 73
Pennsauken Transit Center
36th Street
Walter Rand Transportation ctr
Cooper St-Rutgers Univ.
Aquarium
Entertainment Center

Glassboro / Millville Branch
Walter Rand Transportation ctr
Cooper Hospital
Atlantic Ave
Gloucester City
Crown Point Road
Red Bank Ave
Cooper Street
Woodbury Heights
Wenonah
Mantra Boulevard
Sewell
Pitman
Rowan University
Glassboro
Clayton
Newfield
Oak Road
Landis Ave
Walnut Road
Route 55 Park / Ride
Broad Street
Main Street
[/FONT]

West Trenton Extension
Trenton Transit Center
State and Canal Street
State and Warren Street
State House
Calhoun & Passaic Street
Calhoun & Bernard Street
Prospect Street
Parkside Ave
Lower Ferry Road

West Trenton Transit Center

Bergen - Passaic LRT
Hawthorne Transit Center
5th Street - Paterson
Lafayette Street - Paterson
Madison Ave - Paterson
20th Ave - Paterson
Vreeland Ave - Paterson
Boulevard - Paterson
Midland Ave - Saddle Brook
Mayhill Street -Saddle Brook
Maywood Ave - Maywood
American Legion Dr - Hackensack
Railroad Ave JCT - Hackensack
Main Street - Hackensack
Munn Ave - Bogota
Ridgefield Park

Hudson Bergen Light Rail
Tenafly North
Tenafly Town Center
Englewood Hospital
Englewood Town Center
Englewood Route 4
Leonia
Palisades Park
Ridgefield
91st Street

Tonnelle Avenue
Bergenline Avenue
Port Imperial
Lincoln Harbor
North Hoboken
9th / Congress
2nd Street
Grove Street / 18th Street
Hoboken Terminal
Pavonia-Newport
Harsimus Cove
Harborside Financial Center
Exchange Place
Essex Street
Marin Boulevard
Jersey Ave
Liberty State Park
Split > Garfield Avenue , Martin Luther King Drive , West Side Avenue , Bayfront
Canal Crossing
Richard Street
Danforth Avenue
45th Street
34th Street
22nd Street
8th Street

Last edited by Nexis; June 25th, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old July 15th, 2011, 05:17 AM   #60
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Pennsauken TC

Courier Post
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...nds-new-center

Quote:
NJ Transit approves funds for new transit center in Pennsauken
10:22 AM, Jul. 14, 2011

PENNSAUKEN — NJ Transit Wednesday approved funding for the second phase of a $32 million construction project that will close the "missing link" in South Jersey passenger rail service.

The board approved a $13.8 million contract with Terminal Construction Corp. of Bergen County to complete the Pennsauken Transit Center, which will connect the east-west Atlantic City Rail Line and the north-south River LINE. The center is located along Derousse Avenue, west of River Road in Pennsauken, where the Atlantic City Rail Line crosses above the River LINE. Currently, the Atlantic City line whizzes past the Pennsauken station.

The two-story project, which is funded with federal stimulus money, is expected to be complete by the end of this year.

"By connecting South Jersey's two rail lines, this new facility will expand the reach of these individual services, providing customers with convenient access to a much broader array of travel destinations," said NJ Transit Board Chairman James Simpson.

Officials also are hoping the connection will boost ridership on the underused Atlantic City line, which has stops in Cherry Hill, Lindenwold, Atco, Hammonton, Egg Harbor City and Absecon.

NJ Transit was unable to produce ridership figures Wednesday for the Atlantic City line, said spokeswoman Courtney Carroll.

The light rail River LINE, which opened in 2004, has stops in 20 towns, including Pennsauken, along the Delaware River between Camden and Trenton. Between 2005 and 2010, the annual number of passenger trips rose from approximately 2 million to 2.8 million. Based on data for the first half of this year, 2011 ridership will likely exceed 2.8 million.

Phase I of the project broke ground in October 2009 with the construction of a 200-foot platform and a 60-foot canopy to protect customers boarding light rail trains. Work was awarded to Northeast Remsco of Monmouth County, for construction and ARORA and Associates, PC of Lawrenceville for design services.

Phase II includes two 300-foot-long platforms on either side of the elevated Atlantic City Rail track, with a 100-foot canopy over each platform. It also includes two sets of stairs and two elevators, a 280-space parking lot, restroom facilities and improved lighting on Derousse Avenue.

NJ Transit's board also approved a $1.895 billion operating budget Wednesday and a $1.16 billion capital budget for fiscal 2012.

The state's contribution to the operating budget of $309.4 million is 16 percent higher, or $33.2 million more than last year.

"Thanks to the support of Gov. Christie, who has increased our state operating assistance during very difficult budgetary times, we are able to put forth an operating budget that allows for no fare increase," said Simpson.

NJ Transit also released the first of what promises to be many customer satisfaction surveys, or Scorecards, in order to improve transparency and set the bar for improvement.

"We are committed to holding up the Scorecard as the standard by which we get measured by the people who use our system every day," said NJ Transit Executive Director James Weinstein.

NJ Transit is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system with 240 bus routes, three light rail lines and 12 commuter rail lines. About 428,000 people ride it each weekday.

It is the third-largest transit system in the country with 165 rail systems, 60 light rail stations and more than 18,000 bus stops linking New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.

Reach Eileen Stilwell at (856) 486-2464 or [email protected]

Tags
new jersey lrt, new jersey transit, riverline