daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles

Los Angeles » Development News | Transportation | Greater L.A. Area

Old December 1st, 2009, 08:29 AM   #21
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
How do you separate properties?
i mean in the front yards. a side fence would be ok and even then, no chain link.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM   #22
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 44

^ I actually like fencing. It looks more urban.
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM   #23
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 318

Oh, now that's where we're finding out what exactly people here appreciate about "urban character" and how it applies to a city like ours.
Do you all really want this gritty, tired, urban characteristic running into our residential neighborhoods just for the sake of replicating urban character?
That tells me you want the styles of older, Eastern cities to replace a more pastoral, suburban nature of our residential areas.
I certainly don't appreciate Eastern bullshit infecting my hometown and I certainly don't want chain link in any residential area.
Crooks jump those fences more effectively than cops do. They take courses in it and chain link generally announces the decline of any neighborhood, including my earliest neighborhood here in Vegas.
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:10 PM   #24
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

^
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM   #25
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Westycakes, why-oh why would you want my beautiful city wrapped up in metal nets?
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:15 PM   #26
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

^ There are some nice examples of fencing, too, ya know. Fencing does a good job at breaking up the suburban feel of residential streets.
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:20 PM   #27
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

THERE IT IS AGAIN!
You might want to see an urban/suburban psychiatrist about that mental farting of yours!
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:26 PM   #28
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

^ Stay in Henderson. Sparkly, cookie cutter sh*t sounds perfecto for you.
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM   #29
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

It doesn't have to be cookie-cutter.
It does, however, have to be void of all remnants of any shithole, bombed out, garbage in the street, razorwire infested penitentiary style urban chain link fence!
Any fencing in my town would only be about two and a half feet high and be composed of wood in the shape of pickets and be painted White.
That would be my first duty as King of Los Angeles- White picket fencing around Westy's house and any other that would want fencing ........ and the elimination of tar stained telephone poles.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM   #30
aaron1

Likes (Received): 2

Certain fencing can make a big difference. For example, there's an elementary school in Redondo Beach (Birney elementary) that just replaced it's old chain linked fence with a nice black iron gate, it really made the place look classy.
aaron1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 12:25 PM   #31
PragmaticIdealist

Likes (Received): 10

Clean-energy car-sharing (subscription-based car rentals) needs to replace car ownership throughout southern California.

The cars need to be made available at all transit stations, including Metrolink, and in all high-density and medium-density areas. And, thankfully, this mode can be implemented instantaneously and in a scalable way.

Besides some of the more obvious advantages of car sharing, the mode could allow clean-energy vehicles to be made available to a larger portion of the population, six to twenty times that a car-ownership model serves. And, the amount of real estate required for costly parking would be reduced by almost the same multiples. The goal should be to convert as many car owners to transit dependency as possible, especially in order to increase ridership on the area's public transportation and to increase the effectiveness of transit-oriented development.
PragmaticIdealist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM   #32
PragmaticIdealist

Bus systems need to be rethought so that they provide a passenger experience and a stylishness superior to that of private cars.

Each of the region's neighborhoods or urban villages needs its own specially-branded express bus service on freeways to and from major nodes, especially intermodal stations.

Circulatory jitneys should run within urban villages and city centers.

Other jitneys should operate on simplified routes back and forth along major commercial corridors that are configured in a grid pattern.

Both types of jitney service should employ double-decker buses that are partly open-air in order to make use of southern California's pleasant climate. And, they should be branded according to the neighborhoods, districts, and corridors in which said buses operate.

B.R.T. tramways should bridge the gap between local, surface-street jitneys and freeway-oriented express buses by providing near-freeway-speed service along dedicated lanes in the middle of surface streets and major commercial corridors.

Bus service that operates in mixed traffic flow on freeways and that makes local stops at freeway exits may also be beneficial, especially since existing activity centers are usually located at the offramps and since connecting transit is also normally available there.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:36 PM   #33
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^ I actually like fencing. It looks more urban.
I'm sorry but that's the stupidest thing that you've said in like a week.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:57 PM   #34
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

^ LOL, ouchie!

Yeah, I know it sounds like a paradox. In theory, fencing privatizes property and subsequently removes it from the public realm.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:02 PM   #35
PragmaticIdealist

There are good fences and bad fences.

Most are probably ugly and do suggest crime. Some are constructed without any sensitivity to the way in which they relate to a neighborhood. However, picket fences and the like create defensible space and can help with sight lines and visibility.

From an eyes-on-the-street and crime-prevention-through-environmental-design perspective, fences are effective. And, they can be an appealing part of efforts to connect the public realm and the private realm with front porches, balconies, and other intermediate spaces that build community and that, themselves, increase the number of eyes on the street.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:10 AM   #36
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia View Post
I'm sorry but that's the stupidest thing that you've said in like a week.

I don't know, Westy.
If you're prone to burbing up statements like that little gem, I have to wonder about all the other comments you've made over the years- including your supplemental on Eli Broad!
Tsk tsk, just when you were getting relevant
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM   #37
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 153

Go easy on him "milq". He was good throughout the past holiday and you know that holidays is when he likes to aktup. He may be even recovering from near stuffing asphyxiation.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM   #38
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

^ Asphyxiation? Wow! Klam, I'm truly impressed.

It's not like you're so innocent, either. Guess who's always there to add fuel to the fire? I'll give you more than five seconds...
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #39
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 150

I like this guy already. If he can do what hes talking about, we are going to see major positive changes for LA.

POINTS WEST
L.A.'s red tape makes new job czar see red
Jobs czar

Austin Beutner says that instead of stunting growth, the city can lead the way, particularly if it gets the right kind of leadership at the Department of Water and Power, the airports and the port. (Los Angeles mayor's office)

* Steve Lopez
Steve Lopez
* Bio | E-mail | Recent columns

Former banker Austin Beutner thinks City Hall stands in the way of economic growth, and he vows to change that.
By Steve Lopez

January 26, 2010 | 9:17 p.m.

* EmailE-mail
* printPrint
* increase text size decrease text size Text Size

I found Austin Beutner, the former billionaire banker who is getting paid $1 a year to be Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's new job czar, in his office on the 13th floor of City Hall on Tuesday.

I'm not particularly superstitious, but I don't think I'd want to be a city official right now and have to hit the "13" button in the elevator.

When I got to his office, Beutner told me he is now in charge of 13 city departments.

There's that number again. But after spending an hour with him, and hearing how he plans to shake up City Hall, I found myself wondering if 13 might be a lucky number for Los Angeles.

Beutner broke his neck in 2007 after flying off his bike on a trail in the Santa Monica Mountains. After months of recovery, and still not 50, he decided to retire from private business. He was about to take a job with the U.S. Treasury Department under President Obama, but changed his mind after a Breakfast of Champions meeting at the home of former Mayor Richard Riordan.

Eli Broad, Michael Milken and Steve Soboroff were there, the usual power elite suspects. The topic was the crummy local economy, and there was a consensus on the fix. As Beutner summed it up:

"City Hall has to lead."

Before breakfast was over, Beutner had emerged as the man who could make that happen. Riordan had recently turned down a chance to sign on as Villaraigosa's job development guy, because he wasn't looking for a full-time gig, and he didn't know if he'd have the authority to clear out the dead wood.

But Beutner was willing to step in. He negotiated with Villaraigosa for the independence he wanted and took the job, vowing to change the culture at City Hall and to promote economic growth.

Riordan is thrilled, and he's predicting some much-needed clashes.

"He's going to have to confront many, many special interest groups who have controlled the mayor of the city and council of the city -- developers, unions, you name it," said Riordan. "And I think it is a smart move on the mayor's part to let somebody who does not have political aspirations make the tough moves."

You could call it politically smart, sure, the mayor standing clear of the dirty work he wants done, including likely confrontations with city employee unions that have bankrolled his campaigns in the past.

Or you could ask yourself why he didn't step up himself, long ago.

Regardless, Beutner is keen to jump in. He thinks City Hall stands oafishly in the way of economic growth, like some great gray sloth. It's a place where city employees meet with each other rather than the people they serve, shuffling a deck of oppressive regulations. It's impossible to open a doughnut shop in this town without submitting to endless rounds of bureaucratic torture, and yet big businesses like the billboard companies fork over enough campaign donations to call their own shots at City Hall.

In the real world, Beutner said, he'd get to work, look over a list of clients and ask:

"Let's see what we can do to help them. It's 180 degrees different from what this place has been about."

Beutner said that culture goes back decades in Los Angeles.

New York has had ups and downs, he said, but it runs relatively smoothly, and you know who's in charge.

Same for Chicago.

In L.A., Beutner said, things are OK when the economy is strong.

"The tide goes out, and you start to see the shoals."

Agreed. But creating jobs when money is tight and we don't even know if we've hit bottom is going to take a lot more than talk.

Beutner argued that instead of stunting growth, the city can lead the way, particularly if it gets the right kind of leadership at the Department of Water and Power, the airports and the port.

Does that mean we'll soon see heads rolling in all those places? Or the gravy train going off the rails at the DWP? Employees there, represented by the powerful International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, just got raises despite a huge city budget deficit and the fact that DWP salaries were already off the charts.

Beutner was more interested in talking about the agency's potential: It ought to be a national leader, he said, in developing clean-energy technology that is engineered and manufactured in L.A.

LAX should develop nearby property already owned by the city to entice national corporations to set up bases here, Beutner said, as Dulles did near Washington. And with LAX being the most popular destination airport in the U.S., Beutner thinks the city should do a much better job of hooking visitors up with cultural arts and commerce centers, enticing them to spend even more than the average of $4,000 to $5,000 per visit.

As for the port, Beutner said one of his first City Hall meetings was with representatives of a Chinese electric car company that's thinking of manufacturing vehicles in L.A., among other places. If it happens, he said, the same green technology used to power cars could be put to other uses, like powering street lamps or enabling L.A. Unified schools to go solar. And all that would mean more jobs.

Beutner was not impressed, though, by the old-school way in which the meeting between the Chinese car company reps and city officials was conducted. It began, he said, with a dozen city officials laying "reams and reams and reams" of deadly planning and process explanations on the table. If the visitors were perplexed, Beutner could sympathize:

"I needed an English translation."

As the Chinese reps laid out their desires, he said, there wasn't much of a response at first from the city team. A couple of city employees looked like they were planning their retirement, but finally a few others snapped to life, one of them proposing the solar power idea for the schools.

In an upcoming follow-up meeting, Beutner said, the city has to lay out what makes L.A. unique, why it's the best place in the world for the company to set up shop and what the city expects in return for helping to make it happen. To further entice the company, Beutner might promise that he'll get Villaraigosa and an A-list celebrity to show up at the Academy Awards presentation in the company's electric cars, a great promo for all the world to see.

It all sounds promising, but Beutner is trying to move mountains. Stay tuned, and we'll see if the mayor gives him all the dynamite he needs.

steve.lopez@latimes.com
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #40
VZN
Caleuphoria

Likes (Received): 2

Great article, and from what I'm reading a person like Austin is exactly what L.A. needs, especially in dire economic straits like these.
VZN no está en línea   Reply With Quote