daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #341
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumours View Post
What's Czech opinion on HSR connection between Prague and Warsaw (It would be Prague-Wroclaw-Lodz-Warsaw?)?
There is very little being said, let alone planned.
By any means I would think that the crucial track inside thee Czech Republic is: Praha - Brno - Ostrava. The most dense railway traffic in CZ is between Praha and Brno and Praha and Ostrava.

Now if you have this backbone, you can figure out what the extensions and connections should be, at least for me:
Berlin - Dresden -Praha - Brno - Wien
Berlin - Dresden - Praha - Brno - Ostrava - Katowice
Wien - Brno - Ostrava - Katowice - Warsaw
Those should be the basic directions in my opinion.

Of course then there could be also viable the direction:
Nuremberg (Munchen) - Praha - Wroclaw - Lodz - Warsaw
But I don't see this as a priority, although the plans for Praha - Nuremberg HSR are existing and the newly build tunnels between Praha and Plzeň should be in HSR standards, whatever that means for the future.

AFAIK, there was also some intergovernmental agreement between the Polish and Czech goverments and they saw the Warsaw - Katowice - Ostrava -> Brno or Praha.

But you see, the plans are not really yet shaped in CZ. In anyway this would be the main axes as for now I guess: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes...e/index_en.htm

EDIT:

PS, the only HSR track that I know of that would in the EU core network (as of 2013) is track between Praha - Lovosice. That means, that CZ
a) does not believe it could realize HSR on other relations before 2030
b) does not have that ambition
c) would not be able to get funds doing it, as it the project in the core network will be primarily eligible for the funds, while those in comprehensive will have worse position.

I am not sure, if this could be changed, because I am sure, that in reality it would be doable, if there really would be will, to do it much faster.

Rumours, tunnel owl, Grizzly Bear liked this post

Last edited by Surel; March 17th, 2015 at 08:15 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2015, 11:36 PM   #342
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
PS, the only HSR track that I know of that would in the EU core network (as of 2013) is track between Praha - Lovosice.
Two weeks ago I red a short article about consideration of Berlin-Praha HSR. The german part between Dresden and Berlin takes shape, as there will be major investment in 2018/2019. They talked about a new HSR-line, branching of at Heidenau from existing tracks, ending at Lovosice. What is beeing built between Lovosice and Praha suitable for HSR? In my memory exisitng tracks follow the curved river Labe (Elbe).

I often thought, that the initial core is a czech Y between Praha-Brno/Olomouc - Ostrava. It could make use of existing tracks by double them, other parts would have to be rebuild new in total. Basically a stand-alone HSR-service in CZ would probably not benefit. It must be something international like the Hamburg-Berlin-Dresden-Praha-Brno-Vienna/Budapest route. From an economic point of view I think that HSR-service could be profitable.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 05:16 AM   #343
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
Two weeks ago I red a short article about consideration of Berlin-Praha HSR. The german part between Dresden and Berlin takes shape, as there will be major investment in 2018/2019. They talked about a new HSR-line, branching of at Heidenau from existing tracks, ending at Lovosice. What is beeing built between Lovosice and Praha suitable for HSR? In my memory exisitng tracks follow the curved river Labe (Elbe).
Afair the Germans are upgrading Berlin - Dresden to 200 or 230 km/h.

There are were some talks between the Czech transportation minister and the German one, but there came no official text out of it. They might be working on it though in the future, if this is not just about gaining media points.

There is nothing being built between Praha and Lovosice at the moment. It is just that this relation has been chosen as first for the core network.

CZ has more or less finished the railway corridors, aside from Praha - Plzeň, and some stations. That means, that the tracks have been completely refurbished, in some places there is a new alignment and the speed has been maximized at 160 km/h, although in fact on most places the alignment doesn't allow for this speed. You can find the map with the rail speeds in CZ here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
I often thought, that the initial core is a czech Y between Praha-Brno/Olomouc - Ostrava. It could make use of existing tracks by double them, other parts would have to be rebuild new in total. Basically a stand-alone HSR-service in CZ would probably not benefit. It must be something international like the Hamburg-Berlin-Dresden-Praha-Brno-Vienna/Budapest route. From an economic point of view I think that HSR-service could be profitable.
Kind regards
There are discussions about that. But I don't see this Y as so beneficial. It would split the HSR traffic to two HSR routes, while you could utilize the Praha - Brno line for all the HSR traffic, with the Praha - Brno - Ostrava line. It would thus make much more sense to me to build 300 km/h Praha - Brno - Ostrava, which is some 350 km distance that would allow for very fast connection between Praha and Ostrava (1,5 hour would mean halving the time), while keeping very high efficiency for the network and all international connections. I think that the high utilization of HSR tracks and trains should be priority here, since splitting the connections from Praha to Brno and Ostrava would mean both more tracks and more trains, while not providing substantial benefits as Praha - Olomouc - Ostrava is some 300 km distance anyway.

I also think that it has to be international. Two main reasons.

a) To fill the capacity. Especially with tourists. Praha, Berlin and Wien are all in the European TOP 10 tourist destinations. And Katowice/Krakow/Ostrava is the most densely populated region in Eastern Europe.
b) To get the financing from the EU.

I would not really like to see this project being build as some upgrading of the recently upgraded and renovated lines. That would be rather wasting money. The CZ made a decisions in the 90s to not go into HSR and rather renovate the network in so called 4 main corridors. This showed very costly and taking long time anyway. It would make to me little sense to go into those tracks now again. I would rather prefer brand new 300 km/h HSR infrastructure. The already upgraded corridors could then use the freed capacity for freight and local connections.

Someone is busy with the HSR in CZ on this page and there are interesting documents there. It is all in Czech though. This is an interesting document from a conference presenting the current state of variants and plans of all the HSR studies, they are called fast connections, so I think there will be not only HSR. And I see the relation Brno - Vranovice is mentioned in the Core framework as well. This is a study that looks at the Praha - Jihlava - Brno variant at 300 - 350 km/h. And another document looking at the variants of Praha - Brno.

There has been also lot of talk about modernisation of the Brno - Přerov track to 200 km/h. This project has been prepared already for a long time and has the highest probability to be started in this decade. It needs to be done anyway, it is just a one track electrified rail on the important Brno - Ostrava route at the moment. It would however stay conventional track for both freight and passenger traffic, so the question is, whether it is worth it and whether it would not be able to build it at better parameters. But, then there is Olomouc which would rather deserve HSR compared to Přerov.

There is also still not solved the question of the new Brno station.

KingNick, tunnel owl liked this post

Last edited by Surel; March 18th, 2015 at 06:21 AM.
Old March 18th, 2015, 06:01 AM   #344
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Visit the New Jersey Section

mrsmartman liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 03:31 AM   #345
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Major ****-up :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ZsG6ob7h5hc

What station is that ?
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 03:53 AM   #346
marc_us82

Likes (Received): 3

Would love to see that happen, and about time too.
marc_us82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:28 PM   #347
Trupman

Likes (Received): 409

It's a freight station of former Paskov coal mine. The train came loaded from Staříč coal mine which is about 6 km away.
Old March 26th, 2015, 03:06 AM   #348
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Looks like the driver way beyond whatever the speed limit is there. Was he?
Old March 26th, 2015, 03:30 AM   #349
Trupman

Likes (Received): 409

It's downhill from Staříč to Paskov and the loaded train had probably a brakes failure. So technically yes, he was beyond the speed limit.
Old March 30th, 2015, 02:25 AM   #350
Rumours
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Rumours no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 03:25 PM   #351
Surel

The number of passengers in the rail sector increased for the fifth year in a row. There were in 2014 about 0.9 % more passengers in 2014 than in 2013. There were 176 million people using the railway in 2014.

In the last 5 years there were 6.7 % more passengers and 20 % more passenger kilometres.

http://ekonomika.idnes.cz/cestujicic...m_content=top6

jonasry, Klausenburg liked this post
Old April 10th, 2015, 12:21 AM   #352
Surel

Nice "sci-fi" from Sachsen. I have no idea how the real state of the planning, any planning, relates to this. But it is nice possibility indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=3 View Post
Jinak tady trocha sci-fi ze Saska:

tunnel owl liked this post
Old April 10th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #353
Surel

del double
Old April 10th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #354
horizon286

Likes (Received): 5

Anyone knows when the section from Pardubice to Hradec Králové will be full done?
horizon286 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #355
mikoCZ

Likes (Received): 72

mikoCZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #356
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=537

Ostrava airport rail link inaugurated
Tuesday, April 14, 2015

OSTRAVA has become the first city in the Czech Republic to gain a dedicated airport rail link with the inauguration of a new connection to Leoš Janáček International Airport on April 13

The project involved upgrading and electrifying the 5.6km line from Studénka on the Ostrava – Prague line to Sedlnice and the construction of a new 2.9km extension to the airport.

The Koruna 533m ($US 20.9m) airport extension was 85%-funded by the European Union

jonasry, endrity liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 01:22 PM   #357
Surel

There are two variants of the Brno railway hub considered. The HSR lines are depicted as red on the detailed map and as violet on the scheme. I prefer the variant B as it keeps the station closer to the centre, it gets all the directions on one stations, whereas the variant A doesn't allow this for the Praha - Wien direction, which seems to me, to be, a major flaw.

edit: there is allways a direction problem as three directions enter one station. There will be allways at least one connection between two directions that can't be realized as through. In the first case it is the Praha - Wien connection and in the second case the Ostrava - Wien connection.

Variant B is costlier, but imho the drawbacks of the variant A are considerable. There will be though some details in the variant B that would be crucial for its feasibility, as e.g. capacity.

This is a site dedicated to the variants: http://www.europointbrno.cz/index.ph...67&nav03=21931

Variant A, detail: http://www.europointbrno.cz/download/ut/1404067092.pdf
scheme:

Variant B, detail: http://www.europointbrno.cz/download/ut/1404067008.pdf
scheme:

dimlys1994, tunnel owl liked this post

Last edited by Surel; April 15th, 2015 at 08:38 PM. Reason: I did not think it through.
Old April 15th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #358
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Variant B is costlier, but imho the drawbacks of the variant A are considerable. There will be though some details in the variant B that would be crucial for its feasibility, as e.g. capacity.
Variant sems better. The costly tunnel would make possibility for a station at Brno fair-grounds. Regarding Ostrava-Vienna, this mayne could be made via existing lines

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 11:35 AM   #359
mikoCZ

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old April 20th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #360
mikoCZ

Last ride locomotives 749.253 under the owner ČD. The new owner is KŽC.

dimlys1994 liked this post