daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2016, 09:08 PM   #481
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
@Surel:
So the corridor planning seems to be there already, how realistic is it that all of this, or parts of it will be really constructed till 2035?
You need to differentiate. The four transportation corridors were planned in the 90s and has been under construction since the start of millennium. They are more or less finished apart from sections of 4th and 3th corridor and some stations. In the last years one or two projects mainly of tunnels has been adjusted in order to be usable also for possible future HSR line. The corridors are the reason why the travel time between Praha - Ostrava dropped from 5+ to 3 hours time. They were capped at 160 km/h vmax.

The newly discussed HSR is labelled "Rychlá Spojení" or "Quick Connections", those projects count with construction of various quick connections of various vmax standards (but all above 200 km/h) , which could be organically implemented into the network. Most of them as the Praha - Brno would be completely new alignments.

Quote:
Is it even possible to make an educated guess there? That agreement with Germany sounds like quite a committment already. But of course, as long as no concrete schedule is made and as long as the financing isn't secured, nothing can be taken for granted. Still, these plans suggest that a really competitive connection Vienna-Prague-Dresden is in the making. I'd even believe that Berlin-Dresden-Prague-Vienna would be competitive and doable within 6 h or less.
The financing is really not the problem. The problem will be the same plague that bogs down construction of motorways in the CZ. The terrible bureaucracy, NIMBYsm, greens etc etc. All the paperwork will be nightmare. And all the coordination between those three countries will be very difficult. Also the attitude of people like Trupman won't help this issue at all. They simply, because of reasons unknown to me, love to keep this backwards small attitude towards the development of CZ (it is not possible, because we lack ..... you fill it in, instead of we make it possible, because we want to achieve ..... you fill it in.)

So it is very difficult to predict anything here. But legally, there are pledges to the EU for the TEN-T framework that counts with the date 2030.

I believe that it would certainly be possible to have Berlin - Wien at around 4 hours travel time or even 3 hour time less. But Berlin - Dresden reconstruction is capped at vmax 200 km/h and would need an upgrade possibly, the Dresden - Lovosice would be capped at vmax 230. Then you would get possible 300 km to Praha and Brno. Brno to Wien will require a new alignment as well later on, and it should be also at 300 km/h. The whole Berlin-Praha-Wien track would be just under 600 km length. If you add Hamburg and Budapest to it, you already see how interesting this axis can be and still just 1000 km long. Thus doable in under 6 hours.

Quote:
I find the RS1 corridor the most interesting one as it would be an entirely new intercity corridor between Brno and Praha and and a lot of time would be saved by the much shorter track length compared to the existing corridor in use.
It is very interesting, however the Brno - Ostrava track would get even more load than the Brno - Praha track.

The most interesting of this project would be the network potential. You would use the Wien-Brno tracks for both trains going to Praha and trains going to Ostrava and Katowice (Ostrava - Katowice agglomeration is one of the very densely populated urban parts of Europe). The Brno - Praha tracks would be used by the trains from Wien en Berlin and the trains from Ostrava as well.

All the already built corridors tracks would get freed capacity and could be used to increase the capacity for speedy freight transport.

Slartibartfas liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:12 PM   #482
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trupman View Post
There is very little demand for any international HSR coming to Czechia as for now. Period.
Even the demand for Prague-Brno HSR is, according to several studies and researches, around 20k passangers daily, which is hardly justifiable for construction.
You remind me of someone that would in the 1860 say, there's no demand for any railway between Praha and Berlin.
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:21 PM   #483
Trupman

Likes (Received): 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
They simply, because of reasons unknown to me, love to keep this backwards small attitude towards the development of CZ.
The reason is very simple. I'm not a day-dreamer and I like to keep my wishes realistic, at least I'm not disappointed afterwards.
No, really, HSR is a HUGE investment with HUGE operating costs. Something like a metro in urban areas. You build it only when you really need it, not because you want a fancy new train and you want to show the outer world that you can afford it. And currently there is no demand for intrnational HSR coming through Czechia at all. Maybe when the technology get much cheaper and trains faster and budget flights more expensive, then yes, but that's not now and not in the near future.
When you take a look around Europe you will see HSRs really only between the largest cities and agglomerations. In Czechia that means Prague-Ostrava, which already has a fast connection with really low prices. Maybe we should focus on upgrading that one instead of dreaming about flying castles.

1+1=3 liked this post
Trupman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #484
Surel

Quote:
I'm very sceptical about HSR between Prague and Dresden being finished in 14 years. At least the Ore mountains tunnel would have to be in a very advanced stage of preparation process now but it's not.

I will be very happy if there are these finished constructions in 14 years:
1) 4th railway corridor
2) 3rd railway corridor between Prague and Ostrava
3) Prague airport and Kladno S-bahn
4) Final solution for Prague-Beroun line
5) and maybe new Brno central station with a 200+ line to Přerov

These are possible to be managed in that time and are much more needed than some sci-fi HSR without passangers.

You are again falling for this idiotic notion that those projects somehow go against the HSR. You put it as a choice, this or that. Which is complete nonsense of course.

Everything you mentioned must be done of course. And the HSR must come on top of that. There is not a choice between building a side-walk or the road. Both need to be done.

ov_79 liked this post

Last edited by Surel; June 16th, 2016 at 09:49 PM. Reason: gr
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:39 PM   #485
Trupman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Everything you mentioned must be done of course. And the HSR must come on top of that.
I really hope you won't be much disappointed if this fantasy of yours doesn't come true. Maybe you should focus on something smaller and more realistic, like Czech team being EURO champions.
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #486
Surel

Quote:
The reason is very simple. I'm not a day-dreamer and I like to keep my wishes realistic, at least I'm not disappointed afterwards.
No, really, HSR is a HUGE investment with HUGE operating costs. Something like a metro in urban areas. You build it only when you really need it, not because you want a fancy new train and you want to show the outer world that you can afford it. And currently there is no demand for intrnational HSR coming through Czechia at all. Maybe when the technology get much cheaper and trains faster and budget flights more expensive, then yes, but that's not now and not in the near future.
When you take a look around Europe you will see HSRs really only between the largest cities and agglomerations. In Czechia that means Prague-Ostrava, which already has a fast connection with really low prices. Maybe we should focus on upgrading that one instead of dreaming about flying castles.
1) Realistic is in fact building the HSR infrastructure, before the flights get more expensive, which will inevitably happen as they run on the fossil fuels.
2) It is not true, that there is no demand for international mobility.
3) I don't understand this notion that the Czech republic needs first to get rich in order to build infrastructure. That is complete nonsense. No. It needs to build infrastructure in order to get rich. If there's anything that the country needs in order to upgrade its economic potential, it is getting connected inside Europe, because it needs to change being a periphery.

ov_79 liked this post
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:48 PM   #487
Surel

Quote:
I really hope you won't be much disappointed if this fantasy of yours doesn't come true. Maybe you should focus on something smaller and more realistic, like Czech team being EURO champions.
I can't really be much disappointed in matters related to the Czech republic. I am a sceptic Czech after all and know really well how the Czechs prefer to run the things to the ground. That doesn't however mean that I won't put my energy into the constructive ideas instead of searching for reasons why it won't happen. After all it would be quite nice to be surprised positively once.
Old June 17th, 2016, 07:38 AM   #488
alesmarv

Likes (Received): 28

Lot of good points and honestly I agree with both Surel and Trupman.

My addition.

Symbolism, often things are built for symbolic / political reasons, they don't necessarily have to make financial sense from the outside. A Praha to Brno HSR line would be very symbolic, it would stitch the country together, Morava and Bohemia, and the two most important cities Brno and Praha. There is a symbolic / political value to this that is hard to calculate. And if it were built, it would become the back bone of a Czech HSR network and everything else would just be branches out of it and justifiable because the backbone would be there already. Next thing you know you have a expensive HSR network connecting Dresden, Prague, Brno Vienna, that works, and exists, and is one of the most important pieces of infrastructure in Czechia, stitching the country together.

Having said that, 2030...well it would have to be in a advanced stage of planning and pretty much ready to start construction before the end of the decade. Is there anything happening right now? Because real planning takes years for a project like this.
alesmarv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 04:34 PM   #489
Surel

Liberec, Stadler Regio Shuttle

loloo, Nowax liked this post
Old June 18th, 2016, 08:18 AM   #490
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Vectron cabview Český Těšín - Havířov (CZ)

Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, loloo liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 11:33 PM   #491
mikoCZ

Likes (Received): 72

loloo, dimlys1994 liked this post
mikoCZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:48 AM   #492
Trupman

Rebuilding Hanušovice station.

author: nitram source: http://www.k-report.net/presmerovani/?prispevek=3591785

dimlys1994 liked this post
Trupman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 03:23 PM   #493
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

In the first picture above, what is the purpose of the small track (3rd from the left) right after the platform ? It's small, not much longer than an engine pocket... Is this station a place where train consists are changed (for example
addition of banking engine) or what ?
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2016, 08:53 PM   #494
mikoCZ

dimlys1994, eu01 liked this post
Old July 21st, 2016, 09:04 PM   #495
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

As some might still remember CD bought quite a few used coaches from ÖBB not too long ago. CD completely refurbished them and this is what they look like now:

https://www.facebook.com/cdrail/phot...24400894251268

I asume they'll be used on the Praha - Berlin - Hamburg line (DB logo on the side of the train).
Old July 25th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #496
mikoCZ

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old July 30th, 2016, 01:55 AM   #497
Harbornite

Likes (Received): 235

CD Cargo 383 003 on maiden run

Quote:
This is the future CD Cargo 383 003. It completed its maiden run on 28.03.2016. Its revision date is MMAL 15.07.2016. Note the covers on the buffers, not yet removed! (TR)
These Vectron loks look cracking in the Czech state railways livery, in my opinion! They intend to purchase 5 Vectrons a year if they can afford it.

http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?n...5&action=dview

dimlys1994, loloo, Qwert, KingNick liked this post
Harbornite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #498
earthbound

Likes (Received): 156

Prague main railway station hall reconstruction is half completed. Also the old Fanta building of the station is being renovated as you can see on the picture.

source: Metrostav facebook page

dimlys1994, 8166UY liked this post
earthbound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2016, 11:44 PM   #499
suasion

Likes (Received): 1853

I was there a couple of times last week and didn't even notice
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 12:32 AM   #500
mdhookey

Likes (Received): 35

I was at the station just yesterday. It's lovely that sunlight now can be seen from the ceiling windows,which had been blackened by soot for so long.
mdhookey no está en línea   Reply With Quote