daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Old/traditional/classic architecture 41 70.69%
New/modern architecture 17 29.31%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 25th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Ønland
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Do you like new building style or old one? vote!

Some people like new architecture and some don't like ..Don't you think that old architecture was much better much harder to build...and new architecture looks so easy...glass boxeses...etc.. no sculptures...etc

so vote do you like new architecture or old one ....I'm not talking about skylines...I mean about those not tall buildings about 5 floor to 7 hight.
I think that architects should start to build much more interesting buildings with facades,sculptures..and not just glass boxes..

old:

New(modern arch...)

understand me right i like new architecture,but not all... I think that modern architects should try to use some thing from old ...to make it look better...

Last edited by Ønland; November 25th, 2009 at 10:08 PM.
Ønland no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #2
D.D.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

i vote where?
D.D. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #3
D.D.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

but if I was to vote, i think my vote would be on modern designs, and tall scrapers.

but I do believe a combination of those is mostly preferable.
D.D. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #4
Ønland
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

sorry there was some ERROR they don't let me to make a voting poll..so write here what you think.
Ønland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Ervin2

Likes (Received): 6

Old architecture is definitely better, but it would never work in the modern world (inefficiency, practicality). Modern architecture is nice too, and it's nice when it tries to incorporate elements from old architecture.
Ervin2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #6
Conor

Likes (Received): 51

There are amazing pieces of classic and modern architecture, and there are also bad buildings from each period. I couldn't pick one favourite style, as every time I think older buildings are better, I get an image of an even better modern building, then and even better older building again and so on... I think it can look tacky or fake when new builds are designed to a period style. It is a very hard thing to pull off with pleasing results. I am all for preserving old buildings, renovating and rebuilding structures that stood on a particular site in past times though.
Conor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #7
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

You can't just combine them both... A glass facade supported by corinthian columns!? Architecture isn't that simple! And it would turn out a visual disaster.

Modernism was an architectural movement in the 1920s, please don't anyone confuse modernism with modern architecture!

Those "old" images are beautiful - where are they from?
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #8
JPBrazil

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ønland View Post
Some people like new architecture and some don't like ..Don't you think that old architecture was much better much harder to build...and new architecture looks so easy...glass boxeses...etc.. no sculptures...etc

so vote do you like new architecture or old one ....I'm not talking about skylines...I mean about those not tall buildings about 5 floor to 7 hight.
I think that architects should start to build much more interesting buildings with facades,sculptures..and not just glass boxes..

understand me right i like new architecture,but not all... I think that modern architects should try to use some thing from old ...to make it look better...
You mean like this?

NO WAY. Why do people nowadays think they should live in 15th-century-french-castles? I mean, it's ridiculous, and it only gets worse:

Look at this:

Seriously, do you think this is a joke? It's not.

All those projects might be either built or under cunstruction in Brazil, a TROPICAL country. Who the hell is gonna need a roof like those in Europe in a country like this?

I've seen a lot of similar projects in developing countries like China, India and Argentina.

In my opinion this is disgusting. It's not architecture at all, just an attempt to make something cheap and horrible look expensive.

You might not have thought about this when you suggested a more 'elaborate' architecture. I agree that modernism has brought a lot of bad buildings, but at least it's a coherent architecture.

I think buildings should be functional, sustainable and above all they should correspond to our contemporary needs and thoughts.

There are other ways of ornamenting buildings rather than making it look fake with archs, renassance sculptures etc.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
JPBrazil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #9
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

Both styles have their merits and their place in the city. That said, I am not a fan of buildings that try too hard to imitate an old style, because in many cases, they look cheap and tacky.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #10
Dahlis

Likes (Received): 107

Old, no contest. Sure there are some new buildings that look good, but modernism hasnt been killed of properly yet.
Dahlis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #11
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Old.
Old styles have an aesthetic and timeless appeal modern architecture can only dream of.
I don't buy the "we can't do old styles because it will look fake" because we have been reviving old styles for the past hundreds of years.

If someone wants to build classical apartment buildings (that are not watered down) I'm totally for it!

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #12
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrazil View Post
There are other ways of ornamenting buildings rather than making it look fake with archs, renassance sculptures etc.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
These structures are very bland.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #13
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

I added a poll.

While I'm at it - I clearly prefer traditional architecture. Modernist architecture ****ed up our once beautiful cities for way too long now. Time for a global neohistorism wave!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #14
JPBrazil

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
These structures are very bland.
They don't look bland, they look the way 21st century residential and commercial buildings should look. There is no reason for a contemporary simple structure to look like a roman palace.
JPBrazil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #15
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

IMO the first post is kind of loaded. there's a lot of great modern architecture, and a lot of crappy older architecture.

regardless, i voted older. i generally do prefer the older, ornate buildings... but when a masterpiece comes a long and looks like the cooper union, i'm all for modern!

image hosted on flickr
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #16
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin View Post
You can't just combine them both... A glass facade supported by corinthian columns!? Architecture isn't that simple! And it would turn out a visual disaster.

Modernism was an architectural movement in the 1920s, please don't anyone confuse modernism with modern architecture!

Those "old" images are beautiful - where are they from?
1# = Ostend
2# = Brussels Grand Place
3# = Blankenberge
4# = Bruges
5# = have no idea
6# = Bruges
7# = Leuven
8# = Antwerp

ALL in Belgium..
Those coasts where beautiful in that time but now :/
now it's just some ugly boxes -__-"

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #17
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrazil View Post
They don't look bland, they look the way 21st century residential and commercial buildings should look. There is no reason for a contemporary simple structure to look like a roman palace.
The way 21st century should look?
What is your reason behind that?
Just because we are in another era doesn't mean we should abandon our heritage, aesthetic beauty, and make everything 'futuristic'.
Real 21st century architecture would be green while appealing to our needs, aesthetics, and our heritage.
This stuff belongs in the Jetsons!

Sure there is, the reason is to make it pleasing to the eye.

Old November 28th, 2009, 04:19 AM   #18
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
IMO the first post is kind of loaded. there's a lot of great modern architecture, and a lot of crappy older architecture.

regardless, i voted older. i generally do prefer the older, ornate buildings... but when a masterpiece comes a long and looks like the cooper union, i'm all for modern!

image hosted on flickr
I love the Second Empire structure.

Old November 28th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #19
Concrete Stereo

Likes (Received): 599

where's the option 'both'?
Concrete Stereo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #20
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Likes (Received): 7

Old Architecture always has a historic feel to it which is nice, but a nice combination of both works fine, with a street having historic buildings and a modern building
Abdallah K. no está en línea   Reply With Quote