daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old November 29th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #1
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 80

Crossings of the River Tyne - Current Bridges, those proposed & planned, those that never happened, etc

Inspired by this post by Newcastle Historian -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
OK, as I wrote at Post 1 of this thread . . "There are a LOT of things that can go into a thread about "Newcastle as it might have been" and NOT all of them are from the dim-distant-past either, some are remarkably recent.

So, here is one from 24th April 2007 . . .

The Mile-long Double Decker Tyne Bridge

I think it is pretty clear that there is pressure for a new crossing over the river tyne linking Newcastle and Gateshead - car usage has increased over the past 20 years since the Redheugh, and we've lost the High Level Bridge as a car route - but where would be best to place it and where would be feasible? And should there be more than one?
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #2
johnnypd

Some ideas I have -

Saltmeadows to Byker makes sense to me. Both sides of the river have land use that is relatively simple to change - light industrial units, wasteland and housing association/council owned properties. It could also link two A roads in the A193 and A167/A184 depending on how it was configured. Would also operate as a city centre bypass and thus opening the door for the central motorway in town to be removed.

Other ideas - a west end and Metrocentre link has been formulated in the past, though only a pedestrian one, but again I think this is another good location. It would also ease traffic jams on the approaches to the Scotswood Bridge which are a joke during rush hours.
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #3
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 482

I have LONG had a preferred new cross-Tyne bridge, and that is a West End Metro Bridge!

Not EXACTLY where I would run the 'West Line', but it clearly shows the new METRO BRIDGE!

It is part of my dream that the Metro is extended to the West End of the City. Just 'how far' west, I'm not certain, though I would certainly take it out through Fenham and Westerhope, through Chapel Park and Chapel House, looping back a bit 'in' the West End through Scotswood and Elswick before crossing over the river on a dedicated Metro Bridge, to loop along to the Metrocentre and joining the existing Metro Line at Gateshead.

Killing 'two birds with one stone' . . my New Tyne Crossing AND Westward Metro Extension!

All just 'fantasy', I know!

novonew47 liked this post
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #4
hollow man

Likes (Received): 4

Ive been having a look on Google Earth for potential sites and if the new bridge is to be quite central i am struggling to find anywhere we could place it baring some hugely expensive, twisty, wacky design to make it fit in somewhere!

How much are we looking at to fund a new bridge?
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #5
johnnypd

sounds good Historian. be difficult to build the bridge from blaydon as the train track passes right next to the river so there is little land left to build an approach. however the opposite is true at newburn, and it would also make a good place for another station at the business park. that is if it doesn't get built out before we get a chance to extend!
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #6
johnnypd

this is a potential location for another west end road bridge - means people from the west end don't have to go on a long journey over the scotswood bridge if they want to go to the metro-centre, easing pressure on that key crossing. also means people from dunston/the south don't have to go over the redheugh to get to newcastle business park. Again, open land atm but won't be for long as another shitty business park is being built.

Old November 29th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #7
hollow man

Looks good Johnny!

Excuse my shoody paint skills but how about something like this as an idea?
Ok, maybe it wouldnt solve congestion much but oh well I tried!!

Old November 30th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #8
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 1

Perhaps that idea could come in very useful Hollow Man when Stephenson Quarter is complete; quick way in and out of that part of the city centre! Even if it was a low level bridge (IE Swing Bridge) but at the same location, just joining the two roads at each riverside.
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #9
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

There may need to be a "new" bridge across the Tyne, sooner than we think . .

New Tyne crossing could end High Level Bridge lawbreakers
Oct 9 2009 by Amy Hunt, The Journal

A NEW bridge across the River Tyne may be the only answer to motorists flouting the law, according to council leaders. Yesterday, The Journal revealed 32,171 people had been caught illegally crossing the High Level Bridge – but only 62 of the “most prolific offenders” had been prosecuted.
The fine handed to the 62 motorists prosecuted since the Victorian Bridge re-opened was £30. But a further 32,109 vehicles were caught on CCTV camera using the fragile bridge who were never fined. That means police potentially missed out on nearly £1m by not prosecuting drivers.

There were calls last night for the capacity of the Tyne bridges to be examined in order to discourage drivers from using the High Level, with a new crossing between Scotswood and Dunston touted as one of the possible options. Newcastle City Council Labour leader Nick Forbes said: “There’s clearly an issue about lack of capacity for motorists travelling across Newcastle bridges and if that continues more people will flout these rules.

The Westgate councillor added: “The two councils (Newcastle and Gateshead) need to get together to look at the situation and come up with sensible suggestions. A new bridge or river crossing between the west of Newcastle and Gateshead may need to be the answer in the long run.”

The Journal discovered the staggering scale of the problem through a Freedom of Information request to Northumbria Police and Newcastle City Council. Regulations were put in place to protect the Grade I-listed structure, built by Robert Stephenson and opened in 1849, from damage.

Traffic on the bridge, which re-opened last year after a three-year, £40m repair job, is restricted to buses and taxis travelling in one direction only, from Newcastle to Gateshead. A three-tonne weight limit and a 20mph speed limit are in force, there is a width restriction of 11ft 5ins and cyclists must share the footpaths with pedestrians.

In March it emerged Newcastle City Council officials feared the bridge could be at risk if more was not done to prevent people using it illegally.

Using cameras and electronic monitoring equipment they had footage of a 46-tonne concrete lorry thundering across the fragile deck, cars going the wrong way over the bridge and individual drivers breaking the rules on dozens of occasions. The council passed intelligence to Northumbria Police officers who were supposed to prosecute offenders.

Council chiefs have previously said the bridge may have to be closed for good if its structure is damaged by having too many heavy vehicles trundling across it. And they have raised concerns that the bridge will be unlikely to last more than 30 years before it has to be closed to all but pedestrians.

The police blamed a lack of resources for their failure to act against motorists breaking the rules. Newcastle Area Commander, chief supt Graham Smith, said: “There is a wide range of demands for the area command to balance and we need to prioritise these demands to ensure we deliver an effective policing service. This has meant we haven’t always been able to dedicate the resources that we’d like to enforcing restrictions on the High Level Bridge.

“I’d like to reassure people we take road traffic offences seriously and those people who continuously put other motorists or pedestrians in danger are targeted in a number of ways. “We are now working with the council to agree the best way forward to enforce the traffic regulations on the High Level Bridge.”

A new bridge or river crossing may need to be the answer in the long run
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #10
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Some interesting historical notes on the subject . .

PROPOSED NORTH SHIELDS- SOUTH SHIELDS BRIDGES

Over the years there have been several proposals for bridges over the Tyne between the river mouth and Newcastle/Gateshead. Perhaps the most interesting were those intended to link North and South Shields.

In the late 19th century Tynemouth and South Shields formed a joint committee to look at the possibility of a bridge but an objection from the Tyne Improvement Commission (TIC) that shipping would be obstructed led to failure. Another proposal from a company wanting to build a transporter bridge was ultimately defeated in Parliament.

In the 1920's more proposals surfaced; for an opening cantilever bridge, for a railway tunnel and yet another bridge to be accessed by spiral ramps at either end to gain the necessary height to overcome shipping clearance problems voiced by the TIC.

Other designs followed, for other cantilever bridges, one a novel cantilever swing bridge. Discussions between the councils and the Ministry of Transport for a road/rail crossing eventually came to nought owing to cost and TIC opposition.

Since then no serious proposals have emerged for a road or rail crossing. It is strange that a bridge to link the Metro system on either side of the river has not been proposed, perhaps as part of a joint road/rail bridge.

The favoured solution to demands for a new crossing seem always to involve a Howdon - Jarrow location, although this does enable linking of Teeside and the A1 in Northumberland, as with the Tyne Tunnel.

Cross-Tyne Bridge Proposals of the Past . . .

Road bridges at North/South Shields - 1887, 1893, 1901, 1930 (two proposals, one linking Tynemouth rather than North Shields), 1934.

Transporter bridge at North/South Shields - 1901.

Cantilever bridges at North/South Shields - 1926, 1929, (3 proposals).
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #11
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

and some more . .

OTHER PROPOSED TYNE BRIDGES

Many failed suggestions for bridges have been made, especially between Newcastle and Gateshead. A position east of the present bridges seems to have been the popular location, and St Anthony's to Bill Quay where the Tyne was less wide and land values cheaper was the place of choice.

Railway bridges to link the growing railway network across the Tyne were promoted but were not proceeded with, a town centre crossing being a more practical option. The High Level Bridge of 1849 solved the problem for several decades but near the end of the 19th century a further proposal from the North Eastern Railway (NER) for a rail bridge at St Anthony's was made and another link was proposed in 1918, linking lines at Heaton and Washington, with an additional road crossing with tram tracks also canvassed by local councils.

This railway bridge would have eased congestion in central Newcastle and on the rail bridges there by building an avoiding line from the east coast main line near the Coast Road running via Walker to a bridge at St Anthony's and continuing to Pelaw joining the Leamside line (going south to Ferryhill and beyond) there. Land was purchased in 1923 and space for the route reserved, but the new London and North Eastern Railway which had by then superceded the NER decided not to proceed with the plans.

At the time the Central Motorway East in Newcastle was planned in the 1960s there was a proposal to build a bridge crossing just east of the Tyne Bridge where the Sage music centre Gateshead now stands, and which would have linked to the Gateshead flyover, but this idea was abandoned.

Other road bridges at St Anthony's were proposed in 1925 and 1992, but were never proceeded with. While proposals for new rail bridges are extremely unlikely it is possible that further proposals for new road bridges will eventually surface, although not necesarily at Newcastle. The recently authorised Haydon Bridge by pass is to include a new viaduct crossing the river South Tyne.

A 2004 proposal to build a footbridge and cycleway linking Newburn and Blaydon instigated by the regional development agency One NorthEast has now been dropped. A long single span structure, This would have connected the large Newburn Riverside development (offices, general industry and warehousing) with the Blaydon shopping centre,bus and railway stations.

A more recent proposal of October 2006 by Newcastle City council, is to build a footbridge and cycleway linking the soon-to-be-renovated Newcastle suburb of Benwell to the Gateshead Metro Centre shopping complex. There could also be a link for buses.

Other Proposed Bridges

Railway bridges at St Anthony's, Newcastle - 1836, 1848, 1893, 1918.

Road bridge just east of the Tyne Bridge - 1960s.

Road bridges at St Anthony's, Newcastle - 1920, 1925, 1992.

Footbridge - Newburn to Blaydon. 2004.
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #12
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 185

I wish they would just stop traffic full stop on the High level bridge to save it, just pedestrianise the road section, otherwise we will end up losing it.

By the way, I remember seeing plans for a North/South Shields bridge from the 70's, the design was similar to that of the 1 that started this thread, infact at first I thought thats what this thread was going to be about.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #13
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Some other "Tunnel" proposals . .

NORTH SHIELDS - SOUTH SHIELDS TUNNELS

Various plans for tunnels between North and South Shields have been made.

A scheme for a railway tunnel with a fast shuttle service of electric trains between Bedford Street in North Shields and Mile End Road in South Shields was put forward in 1902, getting Parliamentary approval but the idea was abandoned.

It surfaced again some years later with a slighly different route, but again was not proceeded with at a time when the First World War was in progress.

The Kearney scheme was another railway link proposal dating from 1922 and was an idea for another tube railway (a monorail) between the two towns. It would be fast and frequent and while support from South Shields council was forthcoming, Tynemouth council's support was less enthusiastic, despite some progress in Parliament.

Mr Kearney, an Australian engineer, made a further attempt in 1934 for a railway and road tunnel but this also foundered on lack of support, this time from both councils, because the proposal also involved the railway company's acquisition of the ferry.

A 1930 idea for a tunnel east of Newcastle produced four designs for a Shields tunnel but the government did not support the scheme and it too foundered. The (now under construction) "2nd Tyne Tunnel" at Howdon/Jarrow will make further tunnel proposals unlikely in the forseeable future.

North/South Shields Tunnels proposals . .

Road tunnel North/South Shields - 1930.

Railway tunnels at North/South Shields - 1902, 1914, 1922, 1934.
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #14
hollow man

I hear what they say about the high level being fragile and all but I have to say that every time i go across it I am always struck by how sturdy the bridge is. Even when trains are going over the top and a bus is driving across there's hardly even a slight noticeable movement. I am always struck by the beauty of it too. Particularly post repair. The bridge is also just one of many reasons why I am proud to come from the Tyne. I challenge any one of you to take a walk across it on a fine sunny day and not have a spring in your step when you reach the other side. Fantastic.
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #15
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Now, I know that this is not 'exactly' what this thread is about . . but of course (in 2008) we DID get a new bridge across the Tyne . . .

Building the Bamboo bridge over the Tyne

An eighth bridge was constructed over the River Tyne between Newcastle and Gateshead... using 20 tonnes of bamboo.

The NewcastleGateshead quayside is famous for its iconic series of bridges which span the breadth of the River Tyne. From the much-loved arch of the Tyne Bridge to the bright splash of colour provided by the repainted Metro bridge, each of the bridges has its own identity.

The bridge was made entirely by hand

In July 2008 an eighth bridge was constructed across the river between Newcastle and Gateshead - made out of bamboo! The temporary suspension bridge, which spanned more than 100 metres, was built between the Tyne and Gateshead Millennium Bridges by Australian company Bambuco.

Work began on 24 June 2008 and the final piece was put in place on Wednesday 16 July. Finishing touches were added on Friday 18 July when there was a special free celebration with music and flaming firepots on the bridge.

The initial phase of work focused on creating two 25-metre-high towers, one on either side of the river, which were then joined by a bridge made up of around 800 pieces of bamboo. "Stringing a bridge across a river is a new thing so there is a bit of excitement there but we're pretty confident we've done our facts and figures." Damien of Bambuco "There's something wonderful about a bridge going up and that sense of a new connection being made," said Stella Hall, creative director of the NewcastleGateshead Initiative at the time. "And with Newcastle and Gateshead connecting in so many different ways a bridge is a very apt metaphor for the relationship between them."

The bridge was created as part of the 2008 SummerTyne Festival and also to tie in with the 80th anniversary of the Tyne Bridge.

Bambuco specialise in creating massive sculptures out of bamboo but had never attempted making a bridge before. "After we've done the two towers either side we then string the rig or the suspension part of the bridge," explained Damien from Bambuco during the initial phases of work.

"Stringing a bridge across a river is a new thing so there is a little bit of excitement there but we're pretty confident we've done our facts and figures and our structure and our theory is all good." Passersby watched the construction work as it progressed and even during a wet and gloomy morning rush hour the strange sight caused plenty of people to stop and stare from under their brollies.

But though people could look at the bridge they were not able to cross it... that experience was reserved for the Bambuco team, many of whom are experienced climbers. The finished bridge was on display for the opening weekend of the Summer Tyne festival from 18-20 July 2008. The bridge was then dismantled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7507794.stm

Photos taken 20th July 2008.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; November 30th, 2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #16
johnnypd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
Perhaps that idea could come in very useful Hollow Man when Stephenson Quarter is complete; quick way in and out of that part of the city centre! Even if it was a low level bridge (IE Swing Bridge) but at the same location, just joining the two roads at each riverside.
i agree but the roads on each side would need improvement. the one on the gateshead side is partially bus-only, so i think would need widening.
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:53 AM   #17
hollow man

How about we just build a 3rd Tyne tunnel? Right from the centre of Gateshead to the centre of Newcastle. 8 lanes, 4 each way.

Simplez.

Old December 1st, 2009, 01:00 AM   #18
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
How about we just build a 3rd Tyne tunnel? Right from the centre of Gateshead to the centre of Newcastle. 8 lanes, 4 each way.

Simplez.

Thats not actually a bad idea, even if it was meant as a joke. I do think a Shields tunnel is needed though, only 1 crossing east of the city, when the Tyne tunnel is mainly used for people going in and out of the region, we need something more for local people.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:10 AM   #19
hollow man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Thats not actually a bad idea, even if it was meant as a joke. I do think a Shields tunnel is needed though, only 1 crossing east of the city, when the Tyne tunnel is mainly used for people going in and out of the region, we need something more for local people.

I have to disagree there. The Tyne tunnel is used by plenty enough local people! Who do you think are sitting in all those long lines of cars at rush hour?!?
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:01 PM   #20
johnnypd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post

Simplez.

the banks of the tyne are too steep for that. getting a tunnel under the tyne wouldn't be that hard but can you imagine how far it would have to ascend just to come out at ground level in the city-centre? The metro system is tunneled underneath newcastle city centre and gateshead town centre and it is still needs something as high as the bridge pictured below to cross the river - that's how big the level change is!

Tags
bridges, historic newcastle, historic north east eng, history, millennium bridge, newcastle, newcastle transport, river tyne