daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Differences in country's Road Codes

Since heated discussion in Roadside Rest Area I've discovered, that some points of some countries' Road Code are entirely new to me and I know crap about the Road Code of countries I drive in. Since the majority of readers of this forum travel a lot outside their countries I've came up with an idea - let's make some comparison of various Road Code points.

I've been thinking about the exact form of this comparison and I haven't thought of anything else than this: Below I will present a few 'curious' points of the Code I know the best (Polish one), and you will point if your countries have any differences to that.

Also I am waiting for suggestions for more points to the list.

so:

Poland::
A) Priority.
When there is no priority-related signs on the intersection you must yield to traffic oncoming from the right. If you turn left (right in left-driving countries) you must yield to any other traffic (apart from those also turning left - you may perform the turn simultaneously).

B) Protected turns.
When a traffic light display a sole green signal in shape of an arrow:

you may expect no conflict with other traffic participants (including pedestrians, bicycles, etc.) - thus a green arrow is an indication of the protected turn.

C) Reversing on the intersection
When the traffic light display the signal in the picture in B) you may not reverse on the intersection.

D) Conditional turn
This signal:

permits performing a turn in the direction indicating after a full stop before the signal and yielding to any incoming traffic or pedestrians.

E) Tram-related priority.
On every intersection without traffic lights tram has priority - even if the signs show that it would be supposed to yield.
On intersection controlled by traffic lights trams trams are treated as any other vehicle.
You cannot stop on tram tracks.

F) Signs cancellation
An intersection cancels all prohibitory signs (e.g. if there was a speed limit before the intersection after it if the sign wasn't repeated the general limit applies). Motorway junctions are not treated as intersections.

The only sign which is not cancelled by an intersection is this one:

(Road with priority)

If you have any suggestions about things that are worth to add here - just write. I'll edit the post as soon as possible.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #2
KiwiGuy
íVIVA EL GORDO!

Likes (Received): 1668

Quote:
Priority.
When there is no priority-related signs on the intersection you must yield to traffic oncoming from the right. If you turn left (right in left-driving countries) you must yield to any other traffic (apart from those also turning left - you may perform the turn simultaneously).
Similar thing in New Zealand apart from the fact that a) we drive on the left but still give way to traffic coming from the right or turning from the right and b) this rule counts at intersections controlled by STOP and GIVE WAY signs.

The differences one must know when at intersections controlled by these signs:

STOP: In New Zealand, you have to stop for three seconds before procceeding granted that it is safe to do so.

GIVE WAY: You have to slow down and prepare to stop and give way to vehicles that have right of way.

Does Poland have a thing where a broken white line means that a vehicle can pass at any time, provided that it is safe?
KiwiGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #3
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
When the traffic light display the signal in the picture in B) you may not reverse on the intersection.
Really? Why not?

Quote:
I know you should yield to traffic or pedestrians here, and I know such intersections exist in Maribor and elsewhere in Slovenia, but interestingly there's not a single such intersection in Ljubljana. If you get this green arrow, you're de facto free to go, so I'm not used to paying attention to other traffic. I hope I don't have a crash in Maribor.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiGuy View Post
Similar thing in New Zealand apart from the fact that a) we drive on the left but still give way to traffic coming from the right or turning from the right and b) this rule counts at intersections controlled by STOP and GIVE WAY signs.
Okay, so that's different - in Poland (and general in the Europe) the GIVE WAY sign indicates that you must yield to every traffic coming from right or left. If under the sign you have such additional plate:

you have to yield to traffic coming from the road marked with thick line.

Do you have a sign with similar action? And what do you do on intersections without any signs - 'first come, first go?'

Quote:
Does Poland have a thing where a broken white line means that a vehicle can pass at any time, provided that it is safe?
Yup. single broken line = permitted to pass, double continuous line = prohibited (on one-way roads, motorways etc. single coninuous line is used).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso;
Really? Why not?
Because the signal permits only left turn and straight direction. If the traffic engineer would like to permit f.e. reversing and left turn such signal would be used:
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #5
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Because the signal permits only left turn and straight direction. If the traffic engineer would like to permit f.e. reversing and left turn such signal would be used:
Now that signal is really messed up. By reversing you do mean U-turns, don't you? Because that signal looks as if I can either turn left or have put my car into reverse and back up.

But, like Verso, I also wasn't aware that U-turns were not allowed in the first signal you posted, unless there's a sign that specifically prohibits U-turns.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #6
KiwiGuy
íVIVA EL GORDO!

Likes (Received): 1668

Quote:
Do you have a sign with similar action? And what do you do on intersections without any signs - 'first come, first go?'
Same thing as at Give Way signs. We don't have a sign like the one above though.
KiwiGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Really? Why not?
Because someone else might be crossing your track and expecting no conflict with other traffic participants
Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #8
snowman159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponsor View Post
Because someone else might be crossing your track and expecting no conflict with other traffic participants
Yes, but whenever that happens, there's usually a no u-turn sign posted as well. Maybe in some countries that's not the case.
Old November 30th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #9
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

2-way Yield.. I think this rule only apllies in Denmark and Sweden. That, when 2 carriageways in the same direction merges (e.g. an on-ramp), you have to make room for the ones entering the other road...
Old November 30th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #10
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i think that Switzerland has similar signs
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Danielk2
DanielKK

do you have a pic of a such sign??
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #12
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

In some areas of Europe e.g Portgual, UK.. arrows on traffic lights simple mean where you may turn, not if you are going to have to yield to some other vehicle or not.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #13
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponsor View Post
You're right, there's usually some traffic driving there at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
I never saw it, except the sign we use here.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #14
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
No, Switzerland has them upside down, but they sign road splits (mostly motorway-motorway interchanges) with them. White on green signs.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #15
Danielk2
DanielKK

Yeah, i've seen those signs, they are for interchanges, this is for merges on all roads. Btw, i did happen to make a pic of a danish merge sign last friday. This is on E45 (M80) southbound at exit 18
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #16
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

I don't really get it. Does it mean the Rei▀verschluss rule applies here or what?
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #17
piotr71

Quote:

Sorry mate, but really do not know what you mean saying reversing. If you meant making U- turn, it is allowed in showed situation unless sign no U- t urn would be put before a junction.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #18
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Let's put it this way: U-turns are prohibited when there is a no U-turn sign and when traffic lights have both arrows and there is no downward one.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #19
snowman159

I've never seen a downward arrow in my life. Do you have a photo?

I agree with piotr, but things may vary from country to country.
Old November 30th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #20
Danielk2
DanielKK

Yeah, it's the Rei▀verschluss rule that applies here. However, this sign is only used when 2 seperate carriageways merge, not when 2 lanes on the same road merge... Well it's not quite the Rei▀verschluss rule, cause you're allowed to change lane to make room for the merging traffic to enter..