daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation Airports | Photos and Videos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:16 AM   #61
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Erm....the thing is that I didnt even say the reasons I am asking the data for. Why is it that it seems as thou there is a conclusion that I just want the data to "proof/disproof" that there are high/low traffic on the Taiwan-HK sector?

All I asked is for raw, unbiased data. Its as simple as that!
What are you trying to show with the data anyway? There must be a purpose before any decision to allocate time to get it. In fact, capacity is only one dimension of air traffic. Revenue is the other major piece, and that cannot be easily obtained if the airlines are not disclosing them - and a lot of them don't for competitive reasons.

There is no doubt that with about 40 flights a day the Taipei-Hong Kong route is a high-capacity trunk route. Similarly, with increases in capacity in the past few years, there must be a lot of demand for it - hence heavily travelled.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:47 AM   #62
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
What are you trying to show with the data anyway? There must be a purpose before any decision to allocate time to get it. In fact, capacity is only one dimension of air traffic. Revenue is the other major piece, and that cannot be easily obtained if the airlines are not disclosing them - and a lot of them don't for competitive reasons.

There is no doubt that with about 40 flights a day the Taipei-Hong Kong route is a high-capacity trunk route. Similarly, with increases in capacity in the past few years, there must be a lot of demand for it - hence heavily travelled.
How come when others ask questions, others will provide the answers without asking questions?

Is anyone reading too much into my actions?

This is going to add more evidence into my case then...?
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:21 AM   #63
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
How come when others ask questions, others will provide the answers without asking questions?
When others ask questions, they don't provide an answer by mentioning where the answer is located, then the purpose of the question is put in doubt.

Why ask when you know the answer?

I'm perfectly happy to find an answer to a curious lad who doesn't know how to make that first step, but I may also decline to answer if the process is inefficient and not add value to the topic. There's no need to turn a million corners when there is a straight and easy path to go.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:38 AM   #64
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
When others ask questions, they don't provide an answer by mentioning where the answer is located, then the purpose of the question is put in doubt.

Why ask when you know the answer?

I'm perfectly happy to find an answer to a curious lad who doesn't know how to make that first step, but I may also decline to answer if the process is inefficient and not add value to the topic. There's no need to turn a million corners when there is a straight and easy path to go.
Very nice words there, but was it evident from the very first post that I knew where the info is? Could there be a possibility that your reluctance to find information by claiming it is unavaiable lead to others attempting to find the same information just to see if you are just being difficult? And I still dunno the answer..for I have not done the research yet!

I am still wondering...why cant I qualify as a poor "curious lad" awaiting for someone to save me?
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2004, 03:17 AM   #65
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

As I've said before, Cathay Pacific doesn't release Taiwan-only capacity and actual passenger revenue numbers. No matter where you look you won't find them. China Airlines discloses the percentage of revenue from Hong Kong routes, but doesn't go into detail about its Hong Kong capacity.

Finding which airplane flies at what hour is a very inefficient way to find capacity, and it's impossible to determine revenue. Does that change the conclusion that the route is heavily travelled?

In fact, you are the one that suggested finding the aircraft type to determine capacity.

I sense an argument that is not adding value to the topic once again. I'm not surprised by yet another attempt to bicker over unnecessary details. Perhaps some common sense can save that curious lad.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #66
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
As I've said before, Cathay Pacific doesn't release Taiwan-only capacity and actual passenger revenue numbers. No matter where you look you won't find them. China Airlines discloses the percentage of revenue from Hong Kong routes, but doesn't go into detail about its Hong Kong capacity.

Finding which airplane flies at what hour is a very inefficient way to find capacity, and it's impossible to determine revenue. Does that change the conclusion that the route is heavily travelled?

In fact, you are the one that suggested finding the aircraft type to determine capacity.

I sense an argument that is not adding value to the topic once again. I'm not surprised by yet another attempt to bicker over unnecessary details. Perhaps some common sense can save that curious lad.
For the record, no one is asking for detailed specific capacity nor passenger revenue numbers, and in fact, not even the size of the planes being used, until there was a suggestion that merely looking at the frequency of flights is not good enough. I dont remember me asking for that specifically from anyone until there was such a comment. Of coz, we all know there is a shortage of information, but as a compromise, all I asked for in the begining was just the number of flights.

It is a very simple request indeed. When others decide to withhold information in a highly suspicious manner, preferring instead to turn it into a Q&A session of why the question is being asked in the first place, it only points to a few logical conclusions, which I see no need to share in this thread. Whatever the case, my "agenda" (if there was one?) has already been accomplished, with or without an answer from anyone.

Meanwhile, I believe there is still news about this issue isnt it? Do continue to post it if you wish. If it interesting.
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:40 PM   #67
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Looking at the frequency of flights is the easiest and quickest way of noting how popular a route is. The reason is because if business travellers frequent the route, they demand convenient departure times, such as hourly. Of course distance will play a role, because there is no way a London - HK route, which has a lot of demand, can support an hourly service. In Taipei's case short turnaround and flight times make frequent departures possible.

Therefore, with 40 flights a day, there is a lot of demand for the route. 20% of China Airlines' revenues came from the Hong Kong route, while within North Asia, Cathay Pacific has substantially more flights to Taipei than to Tokyo or Seoul Incheon daily.

Airlines are very sensitive about their route information due to competitive positioning. Are you aware of the mechanics of the aviation industry? So in the absence of exact numbers for the route, this rough estimate will have to do.

An optimal solution is not always possible in the real world. Theory and practice often do not coincide. Sure, it's a simple request, but that doesn't mean there is a simple answer. I think I've emphasized that problem enough times already by now.

Here is an excerpt from a Time magazine article about Taiwanese investment in China and connecting how Hong Kong and Macau's roles :


March 15, 2004 / Vol. 163 No. 10
Trade Links - China's Economic Embrace
BY JOYCE HUANG | TAIPEI AND MICHAEL SCHUMAN | FUZHOU

That concern is expressed by many of the estimated 1 million taishang: workers and businessmen from Taiwan who, like Hsu, live full-time in mainland China. For more than a decade, this burgeoning community of expatriates has been busily knitting economic ties between the island and the mainland, despite cross-strait political tensions and Taipei's restrictions on investments in China. The two economies are already irrevocably intertwined. Beijing encourages investment, hoping that closer economic links will lead to political reunification. Taiwan's government acknowledges that some 50,000 companies from the island have invested $35 billion in the mainland since 1991. Some experts estimate the amount may actually total more than $100 billion if investments by offshore shell companies, set up by Taiwan businessmen to skirt regulations, are taken into account.

It's no surprise, then, that many people from Taiwan doing business on the mainland say they plan to vote in the upcoming presidential election for Chen's challenger, Lien Chan of the traditionally pro-business Kuomintang (KMT). "Lien will put cross-strait ties on a better path," says Hsu. If he wins, Lien is expected to lubricate commerce by expanding direct transportation links between China and Taiwan. (Current travel restrictions force most people and products from both places to pass through entrep˘ts such as Hong Kong and Macau en route, which increases costs.) Chen, meanwhile, is viewed by many as a loose cannon who could blunder into war with his pro-independence rhetoric. Looking to cash in on such fears, the KMT has been chasing votes by sending representatives to the mainland. The Guangdong office of a Taiwan business association is organizing transport for hundreds of thousands of expatriates from Taiwan to return to the island to cast their ballots.

Regardless of the election's outcome, the gravity of economics should continue to pull Taiwan and China closer. Chen's pro-independence stance notwithstanding, the President has been quietly easing cross-strait controls. Over the past three years, businessmen from Taiwan have been allowed to travel home through the Taiwan-controlled islands of Quemoy and Matsu, a short hop from the mainland coast, near Fuzhou. Beijing, meanwhile, continues to lobby for closer commercial links with the island. Manufacturers from Taiwan operating on the mainland provide key technologies for budding Chinese industries such as semiconductor manufacturing. Economic partnerships "have been a very strong factor that makes the two sides calm down a little bit," says Brian Chuang, managing director of jewelry maker Taifu Co. in Fuzhou. "We both need each other." China's leadership is banking on that pragmatic awareness, betting that money will ultimately trump less tangible aspirations.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #68
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Looking at the frequency of flights is the easiest and quickest way of noting how popular a route is. The reason is because if business travellers frequent the route, they demand convenient departure times, such as hourly. Of course distance will play a role, because there is no way a London - HK route, which has a lot of demand, can support an hourly service. In Taipei's case short turnaround and flight times make frequent departures possible.

Therefore, with 40 flights a day, there is a lot of demand for the route. 20% of China Airlines' revenues came from the Hong Kong route, while within North Asia, Cathay Pacific has substantially more flights to Taipei than to Tokyo or Seoul Incheon daily.

Airlines are very sensitive about their route information due to competitive positioning. Are you aware of the mechanics of the aviation industry? So in the absence of exact numbers for the route, this rough estimate will have to do.

An optimal solution is not always possible in the real world. Theory and practice often do not coincide. Sure, it's a simple request, but that doesn't mean there is a simple answer. I think I've emphasized that problem enough times already by now.
Point noted, although they basically do not say anything new, nor does it change perceptions much.

Just keep posting news. It gets more interesting that way.
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #69
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Exactly, the points have always been there. The wheel isn't being reinvented as the thread develops. Perceptions might not change, but they can still be wrong.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:39 PM   #70
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Exactly, the points have always been there. The wheel isn't being reinvented as the thread develops. Perceptions might not change, but they can still be wrong.
The "perceptions" wasent even refering to the thread contents actually. And this line just added another facet to it. Second tip...just post more news.....
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #71
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

News can only go so far. Here is more value-adding analysis. I hope more people would go beyond the news and provide their insights and thoughts about this issue to eliminate any false perceptions.

Analysis - The Travel Industry

Many Hong Kongers like to visit Taiwan for a long weekend. While Thailand draws more Hong Kong tourists than Taiwan, Taiwan is still a very popular tourist destination. Tours typicall last 3-4 days for Taipei and as long as 5 days for Taipei - Kaohsiung while tours to Thailand last 5 days.

The time factor is quite important, since the flight time to Taipei is about half of that to Bangkok, and sometimes it's hard for workers to get too many days off to assemble a 5-day holiday. An added disincentive is the tour price increase around holidays when a 5-day vacation is possible. Hence many people like to fly to Taiwan for a weekend and take a day off during low season.

Taiwan has also simplified visa requirements for Hong Kong residents. HK visitors can now apply for visas on the spot when they land in Taiwan, and the process is quite simple and quick.

From Taiwan's 2002 Annual Report on Tourism
"Outbound travelers from Hong Kong numbered 64,540,132 in 2002, up 5.6% over the previous year; most of these travelers (55,648,363) visited mainland China, followed by Macau (4,182,402). Excluding these two destinations, the number of Hong Kong residents traveling overseas in 2002 amounted to 4,709,367, down 1.87%; the five largest overseas destinations were, in order, Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, and the Philippines."

" Taiwan registered 2,726,411 visitor arrivals in 2002 (excluding arrivals from mainland China); this was an increase of 109,274 over the year before, for a growth of 4.18%. Foreign visitors totaled 2,354,017, for an increase of 62,146 (up 2.71%) over 2001 2,291,871; overseas Chinese visitors numbered 372,394, up 47,127 (14.49%) over the 325,266 recorded the year before.

Growth trends for major market areas are shown by the arrivals statistics for 2002: Japan, 986,053 visitors, up 1.53%; Hong Kong and Macau, 435,080, down 10.83%; the U.S., 354,087, up 4.33%; and Singapore, 107,380, up 10.96%. Major factors in these increases were the launching of new advertising campaigns in Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Europe, and America; the extension of visa-free entry privileges to citizens of Singapore and Malaysia; and the offering of landing visas to arrivals from Hong Kong and Macau. "



Tourism Market Analysis

Hong Kong is a major source of tourism for Taiwan. However, despite many airlines flying between the two places, HK tour agencies tend to book their group plane tickets with just 3 airlines. Discount tours of about HK$1500 and less tend to fly with China Airlines and EVA while premium tours fly Cathay Pacific or Dragonair. There are exceptions depending on the tourism cycle (time of year).

In fact, China Airlines is a very popular discount carrier not just for Taiwan-bound passengers. CI actually flies from Hong Kong to many points in Southeast Asia, including Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, and Singapore. Travel agencies like to use CI for their discount tours (ie. Bangkok/Pattaya 5 days for HK$1000).

Thus, the Taiwan-Hong Kong market is not only a business route, but also a big consumer tourist route as well.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:56 PM   #72
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
News can only go so far. Here is more value-adding analysis. I hope more people would go beyond the news and provide their insights and thoughts about this issue to eliminate any false perceptions.
Hilarious. When questions beyond the news were asked, they were ignored and considered redundant. Now this...
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:04 PM   #73
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

What questions beyond news are redundant? You know, some questions are dumber than others, and if you bring in an apple into a discussion about grapes, of course the apple's quite irrelevant and subsequently ignored.

Are you trying to stir up an argument from nothing once again?
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:16 PM   #74
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
What questions beyond news are redundant? You know, some questions are dumber than others, and if you bring in an apple into a discussion about grapes, of course the apple's quite irrelevant and subsequently ignored.

Are you trying to stir up an argument from nothing once again?
Arguement? I see no argument. All I see are sarcastic comments which seem to be much better evidence in trying to incite others and cause an argument, especially when they are pointedly personal. All the evidence has been gathered.

I watched how you respond to a very simple question, and the reactions are all noted. I steadfastly refused to respond to those pointed comments, merely quoting them as I note each time it was done.

It is too bad I have to reveal this prematurely, but I suppose it is fair for you to realise that since days ago, evidence of misbehavior is being collected, and will be collected from now henceforth. If you see any reason to "retaliate" in any manner, I am not going to stop you. But allow me to advise you one last time, that personal and pointed comments should basically be avoided especially when non-provoked. I am making effort to do just that, and I hope you reciprocate. If you give me no reason to quote your comments, I dont see why anyone needs to go personal again.

I leave it to you to decide your next course of action.

Enjoy the forums.
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:57 AM   #75
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Ironic you don't like sarcasm. You post a lot of it yourself.

My comments are general and can apply to everyone, so I don't need to quote you in particular. If you find yourself at fault of these problems then you don't have to feel offense and respond. Meanwhile, you enjoy persecuting my posts, which I find quite funny.

Feel free to collect all the evidence you need. Your interpretation will be wrong, but of course I won't stop you. It won't stop me from analyzing the topic here.

Do a count and see how many news and value-adding discussion posts you have made and how many I have made. You haven't tried as hard as I have to give insight into direct links and how they affect the stakeholders. Ironic that you accuse me, without reason and logic, for misbehaviour when I'm doing what I am supposed to do here. And what have you done? Make petty arguments to drag away from the main discussion.

Learn first, then enjoy the forums.

Here is more analysis :
Aviation Safety

There has been a lot of bad news from Taiwanese and mainland carriers in the past decade. While the situation has improved in the mainland after a rash of big crashes in the early 1990's, the situation in Taiwan is only starting to improve. 2 major recent crashes were from China Airlines as their jets approached Hong Kong. The first one occurred in the summer of 1999 when a CI flight from Bangkok crash landed during a typhoon, flipping on the runway and killing 3.

The second one took place in May 2002 when CI 611 disintegrated over the skies off Taiwan's west coast as it flew from Taipei to HK. All 200+ people died.

While safety should not play a major role in how direct links negotiations turn out, they are a major concern on the consumer end - the tourists and business travellers that fly the routes. Presently, Hong Kong carriers have the best safety records for carriers that fly to both the mainland and Taiwan (for the HK transit market). Meanwhile, mainland regulators are moving quickly to consolidate their airlines into 3 major groups around 3 hub cities while trying hard to improve service and safety. Perhaps when direct links do happen, the aviation landscape in East Asia will be far different from today.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:05 AM   #76
huaiwei
The Monkey King
 
huaiwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore 新加坡 Singapura சிங்கப்&#2986
Posts: 11,786
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Ironic you don't like sarcasm. You post a lot of it yourself.

My comments are general and can apply to everyone, so I don't need to quote you in particular. If you find yourself at fault of these problems then you don't have to feel offense and respond. Meanwhile, you enjoy persecuting my posts, which I find quite funny.

Feel free to collect all the evidence you need. Your interpretation will be wrong, but of course I won't stop you. It won't stop me from analyzing the topic here.

Do a count and see how many news and value-adding discussion posts you have made and how many I have made. You haven't tried as hard as I have to give insight into direct links and how they affect the stakeholders. Ironic that you accuse me, without reason and logic, for misbehaviour when I'm doing what I am supposed to do here. And what have you done? Make petty arguments to drag away from the main discussion.

Learn first, then enjoy the forums.
Your point is taken. Anyhow, it isnt up to me to do the interpretation.
__________________
Majulah Singapura 前进吧,新加坡!Onward Singapore முன்னேறட்டும் சிங்கப்பூர்

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2004, 11:37 PM   #77
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Tuesday June 1, 5:21 PM
Taiwan needs transport links with China to stay competitive, U.S. business leaders say

Taiwan's plans to become an Asian business hub are in jeopardy because the island hasn't lifted a five-decade ban on direct air and shipping links with its biggest rival, China, a group of U.S. business leaders said Tuesday.

The lack of direct transport links is forcing multinational companies to shift their senior executives from Taiwan to Singapore, Hong Kong and Shanghai, according to the annual white paper issued by the American Chamber of Commerce in Taipei.

But the U.S. group offered little specific advice about how Taiwan could start negotiations with its giant communist neighbor, which the report acknowledged adopts a "truculent and often haughty attitude" toward the island, just 160 kilometers (100 miles) off the Chinese coast.

Taiwan has resisted Beijing's rule since the Communists won a bloody civil war and took over the mainland in 1949. After the conflict, the Taiwanese banned direct transport to the mainland, fearing that air and ship traffic could pose a security risk. China has repeatedly threatened to use force to unify the two sides.

But the transport ban is seriously hampering Taiwan's global competitiveness, said Andrea Wu, president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Taipei. Travelers have to stop in a third point, such as Hong Kong, before going to China.

"Multinational companies here are facing increasing difficulties in carrying out a regional business plan from Taiwan without direct transport links with China," Wu told reporters. "Without those links, Taiwan's plans to develop the island as a regional hub are also in jeopardy."

Taiwanese President Chen Shui-bian has repeatedly said that he's ready to open direct links with China. But he has said that he won't cut a deal with China that compromises the democratic island's sovereignty.

Meanwhile, China has insisted that Chen agree that Taiwan is part of China and that the transport links would be domestic routes - demands the Taiwanese leader has refused to accept because he fears they would amount to surrendering Taiwan's sovereignty to a repressive communist power.

But Wu stressed that Taiwan - the world's 17th largest economy - needs to focus more on the economic benefits of its relationship with China. "Taiwan's proximity to China must be embraced as an economic strength, not just guarded against as a political risk," she said.

The white paper noted that business ties are booming between the rivals. China has replaced the United States as Taiwan's top trading partner, and Taiwanese have invested more than US$70 billion in some 50,000 businesses in China.

One important change Taiwan could make without negotiating with China would be to ease visa and work permit regulations that make it difficult for companies to bring Chinese staff to Taiwan for conferences, meetings and training, the white paper said.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #78
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Wednesday July 14, 3:55 PM
CHINA WATCH: Direct Taiwan-China Transport Links Far Off
By Katy Chang

A Dow Jones Newswires Column

TAIPEI (Dow Jones)--When China declared recently that opening direct transport links with Taiwan was an economic issue, not a political one, Taiwanese airline stocks soared. But concrete steps toward opening air and shipping routes across the Taiwan Strait are probably still a long way off.

Beijing's declaration was important because it was an initial sign of an easing in bilateral tensions since Taiwan's March presidential election, which was won by incumbent President Chen Shui-bian - a man whom Beijing deeply dislikes because of his moves toward declaring Taiwan formally independent of China.

Earlier this year, Beijing had called for Chen to publicly accept the "one China" principle - that Taiwan is an inseparable part of China - before any negotiations on direct transport links could proceed. Now it appears Beijing has backed away from that tough stance.

On June 30, Li Weiyi, spokesman for China's cabinet-level Taiwan Affairs Office, said political issues surrounding "one China" could be sidestepped in negotiations on direct links, which were "an economic issue".

Li's comment sent airline shares in Taiwan rocketing; the island's largest carrier, China Airlines Ltd. (2610.TW), surged 5.7% on the following day, while EVA Airways Corp. (2618.TW) jumped 4.3%.

But most political experts believe Beijing and Taipei are still years away from direct transport ties. For one thing, Beijing tried and failed in past years to engage Taiwan on the issue by professing to be willing to ignore the political implications.

And China continues to insist that direct links are a "domestic matter". By using this phrase, it implies that Taiwan is legally part of China - not a stance which will please Taipei.

"Treating direct links as domestic is a way for Beijing to say Taiwan is in effect accepting 'one China' - a way for China to be more flexible while domestically asserting it's keeping Taiwan in the fold," said Susan Shirk, former U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for China, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

She believes formal discussions on direct links are still a year or so away.

The semantics of the issue could continue to stymie negotiations for a long time; Taiwan insists foreign-flagged ships should be allowed to sail on cross-Strait routes, making the Taiwan Strait an "international" waterway.

Taiwan Strait A Barrier To Business

Taiwan is caught in a balancing act between defense considerations and asserting its political sovereignty on the one hand, and the economic logic of direct transport links on the other. Opening direct links would save an estimated NT$15 billion (US$1=NT$33.73) a year for the transport sector, reduce shipping costs by 15%-30% for enterprises, and cut shipping and passenger travel times in half by eliminating the need to go through third territories such as Hong Kong.

Skeptics of direct links warn that Taiwan's economy could become marginalized, as direct transport could speed up the hollowing out of Taiwan's manufacturing sector as companies migrate to China. Others worry that direct links could make political reunification with China inevitable, as greater economic dependence on China would produce "de facto" reunification over time.

If Taiwan's Nationalist opposition had won the March election, it would probably have become easier for Taipei and Beijing to finesse the political issues and get down to talks; the Nationalists are widely viewed as more conciliatory toward China.

There's much more bad blood between Beijing and President Chen's Democratic Progressive Party. "Beijing isn't willing to talk (to Chen's administration) officially," Shirk said.

Some China watchers think Beijing's reluctance stems from a desire not to boost Chen's credibility, and they believe an alternate mode of negotiations - such as talks between private groups put forward by China - would be needed to break the stalemate.

Fu Don-Cheng, director of economic affairs at Taiwan's cabinet-level Mainland Affairs Council, said: "We're in the process of formulating ways to delegate some levels of direct-links talks to private industry, but obviously both governments still need to be involved."

Fu thinks China probably won't be prepared to talk before seeing the outcome of Taiwan's legislative election in December, although he refrained from ruling anything out, saying talks should occur "as soon as possible".

However, there's doubt over how much Chen's administration really wants to discuss direct links, and how much it's just pretending to be willing in order to retain support in the Taiwanese business community.

Shirk doesn't expect China to show any new flexibility within a year or more, since after Chen's re-election, "efforts to win hearts and minds, using peaceful inducements and positive appeals, are deemed to have failed - there's pressure to use coercion and to sound tough in Beijing."

And even after serious talks on direct links begin, it's likely to take many months to work out the mechanics of security procedures and commercial rights, before air and shipping services are introduced and expanded in stages.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old August 17th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #79
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Tuesday August 17, 7:03 PM
Taiwan's president seeks compromise with China on direct transport links

(AP) Taiwan's leader on Tuesday proposed sidestepping the touchy sovereignty issue with China and opening up direct shipping and air links by calling them "transport routes between the two sides," a Taiwanese news agency reported.

But the proposal appeared unlikely to satisfy Chinese leaders, who deeply distrust President Chen Shui-bian and have shown no willingness to compromise with him.

Taiwan has banned direct flights and shipping with China since a civil war split the two sides in 1949. The rivals have been unable to open the transport ties because long-standing political feuds continue to block the talks.

Beijing has insisted on calling the transport links across the 160-kilometer-wide (100-mile) Taiwan Strait "domestic" routes. But Taiwan wants them to be labeled "international" routes.

On Tuesday, the Taiwanese president told business leaders that the sovereignty issue could be avoided by simply calling the links "transport routes between the two sides," the state-funded Central News Agency reported.

But Chen said that he won't accept an agreement that calls the transport links "domestic links," the report said.

"Not only can I not accept this, but the nation's people will in no way accept this," the report quoted Chen as saying.

Beijing has long insisted that before negotiations begin with Taiwan, the island must accept that it's an inseparable part of China. Chen has been refusing to do this, fearing it would sacrifice Taiwan's sovereignty to a country he considers to be repressive.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #80
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

delete
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium