daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old December 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #21
Nathan Dawz
Makin all KINDS of gains!

Likes (Received): 916

It is looking very dated at the mo and doesn't exactly give a good impression of the city when you go out of Piccadilly.

If they are going to renovate it, then it needs a lot of work doing on it. Although personally, I can't say I'd be fussed if they demolished the whole thing!
Nathan Dawz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 7th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #22
Griff

Likes (Received): 0

I really like Gateway House; it's just a shame it's always been blighted by low-rent retail units. It's a rare example of decent 1960s architecture in Manchester and if it were to be renovated, I too would hope to see a sympathetic job which retains the original feel, like was done with City Tower.

It actually makes even more sense when seen from above, although obviously that's lost on most casual observers.

The only downside is that the station approach is one of the windiest parts of the city as a result, and I can't help but think that a significantly taller building would make that approach even windier.
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #23
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I really like Gateway House; it's just a shame it's always been blighted by low-rent retail units. It's a rare example of decent 1960s architecture in Manchester and if it were to be renovated, I too would hope to see a sympathetic job which retains the original feel, like was done with City Tower.
I agree, also look at the ex bt building on the other side of the station which is now the mcdonald hotel. There are some genuinely good buildings from the 1960's in manchester.

My Music
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #24
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by future.architect View Post
I agree, also look at the ex bt building on the other side of the station which is now the mcdonald hotel. There are some genuinely good buildings from the 1960's in manchester.
They are great buildings. Gateway doesn't even suffer from the typical sixties blight of a terrible street level. Done up it could be great.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #25
selk

Gateway is a bloody great building. It would be a disgrace to allow it to be fundamentally altered, let alone demolished. Yes, it could do with a bit of TLC, but that is no excuse for some tacky rebuild.
selk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #26
GShutty

Likes (Received): 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by selk View Post
Gateway is a bloody great building.
Largely, yes. The back desperately needs looking, but at this stage, it's a road to nowhere. However looking to the future, if something is built where Picc. Tower was planned , it will become more prominent and active. A thorough refurb should be able to cope with that issue though.
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #27
CDX
Keep Changing.

From BD:
Quote:
Hodder and Reinke vie for Gateway House job
http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?...de=3155011&c=1
11 December, 2009

Hodder & Partners and Stephan Reinke Architects have both been appointed to draw up separate proposals for the redevelopment of Richard Seifert’s Gateway House in Manchester

Each practice will consult with landowner Realty Estates as well as Manchester City Council, heritage groups, transport authorities and local stakeholders to draw up schemes to feasibility stage before a final design is selected.

There is no set budget for the project. A spokesperson for Realty Estates said the scheme could be anything from a £5 million facelift to a £100 million redevelopment.

In October it was revealed that seven practices had been shortlisted, including Stephenson Bell, Sheppard Robson, Aedas, Calderpeel and BDP. However, a Realty Estates spokesman said the company wanted to explore “the potential of the more commercially viable possibilities inherent in the two selected schemes”.

Manchester resident Stephen Hodder’s proposal involves retaining the six-storey building, built in 1965 next to Piccadilly station.

A large section of the building would be converted into a hotel and the remainder into retail and commercial space, with a public piazza replacing the existing ramp up to Piccadilly station.

“The building has its problems — it’s of its time. But it’s iconic and we’ve always made the case for retention,” said Hodder.

Reinke said honouring Seifert’s intentions was more important than retaining the building.

“It is a sick building so it will need an enormous amount of work if it’s retained,” he said.

“My respect for Colonel Seifert and the urban gesture that is there is absolute, but what that means to the ultimate fabric of the building I can’t tell you. It is a landmark site and there is potential for a landmark structure.”
CDX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #28
CDX
Keep Changing.

From AJ:

Hodder

Reinke

Quote:
AJ Exclusive: Images of final two in Seifert's Gateway House contest
http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/n...e?referrer=RSS
11 December, 2009

The AJ can reveal the first images of Stephan Reinke Architects’ and Hodder + Partners’ proposals for the redevelopment of Richard Seifert’s 1965 Gateway House in Manchester

Selected from a seven-strong shortlist, the pair have both been asked by developer Realty Estates - to draw up separate but alternative schemes for the unlisted, landmark building next to Piccadilly station.

According to Realty, the teams will now be asked to ‘test the viability and feasibility’ of their options ‘in dialogue with the many stakeholders in the Manchester Piccadilly area’ for the site, now known as No 1 London Road.

The shortlisting is the first major ‘victory’ for Reinke - the founding partner of Woods Bagot’s London practice - since he decided to set up his own outfit earlier this year.

Of the two proposals, Reinke is the more radical and would see much of the existing building pulled down. Describing his approach Reinke said: ‘The site has incredible potential and immense historical flavour; from the dawn of the Industrial age and the adjacent canal system, through the steam age, to the jet age and now to the early part of the 21st Century.

‘This includes the urban design contribution of ‘Colonel’ Richard Seifert ….we now look forward to building on this rich heritage with an urban design composition that draws together the threads of all these influences.’

It is understood Hodder’s scheme will retain much of the original block which would house a hotel, offices and shops and also create a new public plaza.

A winner will be announced next year.
CDX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #29
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 622

Hmmm, while the Hodder proposal claims to keep much of the original building, it looks like it is altered so much I think it may destroy whats great about it. Ironically the all-new proposal by Reinke is much more like the original Richard Seifert building, though I'm still firmly in the 'keep-it-as-it-is-but-give-it-a-good-bit-of-TLC' camp.
iheartthenew está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #30
Architecty
Still Lurking

Likes (Received): 8

Its a shame the Hodder scheme has changed, the previous little render that was in RIBA NW mag a while back had the whole existing building refurbished in the same fashion as the unmolested end in the new image, and a new build block on that spot of land next to London Rd.

I think they are both missing the point, the problem with the building is not the front, it is resolutely the back; and the mess of services/retailer access, which I would have thought could be resolved easy enough. Although I would guess there are issues of mixed land ownership to the rear, as all of the proposals that focused on that side are the ones given the chop.
Architecty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #31
Chogmook
Mancunian Member

Likes (Received): 42

Loving the Reinke One, can imagine it'll feel very imposing and 'big city like' as you come out of Picc Station, looks tall too, as you can see how it compares to the LED Screen next to it. Hodders looks like a bit of an afterthought...

Last edited by Chogmook; December 11th, 2009 at 02:09 PM.
Chogmook no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #32
GShutty

Likes (Received): 386

1,000th post woo-hoo! Who's counting? Thanks for entertaining and informative reads during this time folks!

Great work again CDX. On first reaction I am initially pleased with both of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthenew View Post
while the Hodder proposal claims to keep much of the original building, it looks like it is altered so much I think it may destroy whats great about it.
Can you be more specific? They've kept the much-loved curves and the step up relates well to Bruntwood's 111 Piccadilly tower and Piccadilly Place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecty View Post
the problem with the building is not the front, it is resolutely the back; and the mess of services/retailer access
It's impossible to tell form the given images, but I would very much expect that this would be the first thing to be addressed?
I also wonder how well the split level retail works. As a piece of art I can see the attraction, from a functional point of view? Well as it stands it's a mess. Much off this is due to lack of tenants and the way the units are split. Reinke appears to be keeping this in the renders of their proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chogmook View Post
Loving the Reinke One, .... looks tall too, as you can see how it compares to the LED Screen next to it
Me too. I count 13 floors, which would be ~ 111 Piccadlly height. The fact that it's slimmer at the bottom is appealing. The proposed Square as you cross from Piccadilly Place & exit Piccadilly Station would also be a very welcome feature and the additional building to the left of the Reinke render would IMO have a positive effect on the urban environment. Starting from an elevated position it could create one of the city's finest and most intimidating (in a good way) canyons. Imagine moving up London Road past the MacDonald Hotel, towards Piccadilly.
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #33
macc

Likes (Received): 20

Neither does anything to prevent the effect that Gateway house has on funnelling pedestrians down market street.

The new footbridge has helped but this would be a missed opportunity if nothing is done to disperse more pedestrians away from Piccadilly and spark more regeneration east of Market Street.

Pedestrians head out of Piccadilly Station and down station approach, missing east/west exits without batting an eylid becasue they're too concerned with crossing the road and avoiding collision with people coming in the opposite direction. The next point that the street opens up is at Piccadilly Gardens, which entices you towards it. Once here the podium of Piccadilly Plaza then hems you in from the west and forces crowds back along Market street, with only a little overspill escaping down Oldham Street. From here you a funnelled again towards the Arndale until you pass under the food hall where finally the city centre opens up into variety of appealing directions and footfall spreads more evenly along the streets.

This problem is caused by three major barriers: A lack of main east/west routes, the City Tower podium (and Berlin wall) and Gateway House.

Look at the following image. My ideal solution would be for the council to get hold of the land at the back of gateway house, the car park at the back of 111 Piccadilly and the Sarah tower site. Then take the lazy S and rotate it, with the station as the pivot point, from 11 o'clock to 12 o'clock (not literally, of course).
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...03449&t=h&z=18

This would create a huge V-shaped public space outside of the Station, which could hard-landscaped or whatever. Ducie Street between Piccadilly and Dale Street could be pedestrianised and the road for the free buses on Station Approach narrowed. Wishful thinking though.
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #34
iheartthenew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GShutty View Post

Can you be more specific? They've kept the much-loved curves and the step up relates well to Bruntwood's 111 Piccadilly tower and Piccadilly Place.

Its the step up, and the step forward, I think it breaks up the whole long sweeping curve which I love about the current building.
Old December 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #35
Cherguevara

They're schemes to go to feasibility consultation so they're unlikely to happen as presented.
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #36
Nathan Dawz
Makin all KINDS of gains!

Likes (Received): 916

I like both of the redesigns, but this one is fantastic:

Now that's the kind of building you want outside your main entry point into the city. As others have said, it looks imposing, and yet I think it looks elegant at the same time.
Nathan Dawz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #37
butterfingers22
she's clearly not well!

Is that view looking down London Road, away from town? if so is that a very very thin new building in the right of the image?
butterfingers22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #38
iheartthenew

i dont think its actually that thin, i think the perspective is distorted a little, looking on google maps there is space for a reasonable footprint, there are trees there at the moment.
Old December 12th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #39
nerd

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthenew View Post
i dont think its actually that thin, i think the perspective is distorted a little, looking on google maps there is space for a reasonable footprint, there are trees there at the moment.
All the same, if the owners want to stick a tower in the vicinity of Gateway House, I would much prefer them to use the Avis car rental unit site.
nerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #40
Cherguevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
All the same, if the owners want to stick a tower in the vicinity of Gateway House, I would much prefer them to use the Avis car rental unit site.
Why do you say that nerd? This could be used to bring a bit of life to London road, which is currently a rather desolate canyon.