daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old October 1st, 2011, 12:18 PM   #101
iamafreeman

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by future.architect View Post
I think its more a case of lack of proof reading and over-reliance on spell checking myself.
Yes it's probably down to priff rooding as you say!
iamafreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 1st, 2011, 12:39 PM   #102
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamafreeman View Post
Yes it's probably down to priff rooding as you say!
I agree, you are white.

>>>Like house music? Click here!<<<
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 01:07 PM   #103
hifive605

Likes (Received): 32

So do we think this will have some decent detailing, with the LEDs and masonry?
hifive605 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #104
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2190

Manchester Confidential.

Quote:
Hodder Submits Plans For Gateway House

£35m redesign for Piccadilly landmark

HODDER + Partners has released images of its proposed redevelopment of Gateway House, next to Piccadilliy Station.

The building, owned by Manchester-based Realty Estates, was built by Richard Seifert in 1965.

The £35m plans will see the curved office building turned into a 270-room hotel, and adds a new 38,000 sq ft office block on Ducie Street. A separate three-storey gym behind the main building is also part of the plans.

Planning could be given before the end of the year.

jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #105
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

I like it. Works well with 1PP even though some here hate it. Screen looks a bit rubbish though.
Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #106
Splurb

Likes (Received): 4

What's the row of buildings behind it with the green roof? Is it more retail or is that the gym they mention? Or is the gym just the bit at the top?
Splurb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #107
pixel2006

Likes (Received): 1

Fantastic. Saving a modernist icon and making it fit for a new purpose. Saving a huge amount of carbon. Note: The Angel refurb (Riba - Stirling finalist) saved 30 years of heating and electricity carbon emissions by using the existing frame. If this was a new build everyone would be drooling.
pixel2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #108
RoryT
Insert witty comment here

Likes (Received): 5

This is excellent... Pic approach will be stunning with all the recent, and forthcoming, development.

Also, if the new shop units can attract reasonable shops, this could help to expand the city centre northwards. If all of Piccadilly could become much more city-centre-like it will pull Manchester's geographical centre further towards Piccadilly Gardens which seems to be a good central point for outwards growth.
RoryT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #109
VoldemortBlack
Want a coffee after this?

I think Piccadilly Gardens all the way up to the station is fairly well connected to the city centre already. I'd like to see better connectivity made with behind Piccadilly station and see that area (Piccadilly basin) integrated into the city centre. The Metrolink out in that direction should help this happen

The city centre is expanding in so many directions recently! We have the Co-op/Angel Meadows (I refuse to call it NOMA) development, Spinningfields & Bridge, Potential for Salford Crescent, Salford Quays, New Islington & Area, etc etc.

Where does Manchester stand in size of our city centre compared with other UK cities outside of London?
VoldemortBlack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #110
RoryT

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoldemortBlack View Post
I think Piccadilly Gardens all the way up to the station is fairly well connected to the city centre already. I'd like to see better connectivity made with behind Piccadilly station and see that area (Piccadilly basin) integrated into the city centre. The Metrolink out in that direction should help this happen

Agreed, but as long as the Picc Basin development doesn't further encroach on the Northern Quarter - Picc Basin development/expansion (mostly residential with some commercial) is having a detrimental impact on the NQ.

Picadilly has some piss-poor retail set-ups scattered along it - it needs jazzing up! Besides it is essentially only a strand leading from the gardens to the station, if Picc Gardens becomes central it will encourgage greater development down Portland St. and behind Piccadilly (other side to the basin - towards the gay village). This woulod help to unify numerous areas of the centre: Picc Station, Picc Gardens, NQ, Printworks/Exchange Sq, Victoria, Market St, Cross St, St. Anns Sq, Deansgate, Town Hall, Chinatown, Gay village, and then hopefully the zone that lies between there, Piccadilly and Whitworth St - the road with MMU Business School on is key to that development as it is dead at the moment.
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #111
RoryT

Forgot Spinningfields & bridges and Co-Op area... and the new St. Peter's Square!!

Also, if the small roads opposite Deansgate Locks (that go under the railway viaduct) could be smartened up and the streets around the MEN/Bridgewater too, this would link with Deansgate/Spinningfields, Town Hall, the Uni quarter (Oxford Rd.) and St. Peters Square! Whitworth St. would be the only thing needed to create a large and almost circular city centre!
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #112
VoldemortBlack
Want a coffee after this?

I like your ideas!

I agree about Portland Street, it's such a buzz to walk down, especially at rushour. You have Portland Tower looming over and the constant car horns and general buzz of traffic make it a real big city experience which I think should be built upon with more shops etc.

The Northern Quarter is definately going to be a big one in a few years time. It has vast swathes to extend into, such as Ancoats and then further back and onto Great Ancoats Street. Also First Street/Castlefield area is coming on (I don't think Castlefield is maximising its potential?) Hulme could become a popular inner-city suburb if more luxury residential schemes are set up, the same with Ordsall.

And of course the real excitment is on the Salford side of the city. Chapel Street and whether Spinningfields will spill over the river. It's an exciting few years to come!
VoldemortBlack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #113
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoldemortBlack View Post
You have Portland Tower looming over and the constant car horns and general buzz of traffic make it a real big city experience which I think should be built upon with more shops etc.
You seriously need to get out more and visit other cities if you think that Portland Street has a ‘buzz’ and contributes to this big city feel. If it had developed at a faster rate during the boom years, it might have been reasonable.
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #114
flange

Likes (Received): 577

Quote:
Realty submits plans for £35m Gateway House upgrade

6th October 2011

By Mike Fahy - Assistant Editor

REALTY Estates, the Manchester-based property development company owned by Yousef Tishbi, has submitted a planning application for a £35m redevelopment of the Gateway House building at Piccadilly approach.

The proposed scheme, which has been designed by Manchester-based architects Hodder + Partners, will see the 1960s building stripped back to its concrete frame and re-clad. A 270-bed, mid-market hotel with new ground floor retail units are planned for Gateway House, alongside a new gym-health club with direct access to Manchester Piccadilly station.

A 45,000 sq ft, Grade A office building is also planned on an adjacent site facing Ducie St which is currently used for car hire drop-offs and as surface-level parking.

Hodder + Partners chairman Stephen Hodder told TheBusinessDesk.com that a decision on the planning application for the project is expected by the end of the year. If approved, a start on site is likely by the end of Spring 2012 and could take 12 months to complete.

Development of the office building and gym could be phased, or the entire development could be built in one go, depending on the requirements of potential operators.

"They're talking to operators at the moment," said Mr Hodder. "There's been some quite significant offers."

The timing of the building programme will also depend on negotiations with Manchester Piccadilly station's owner, Network Rail. Part of Hodder & Partner's proposals involve installing stairs and lifts from the new hotel to parking underneath the station, which is currently not linked to the buildings above.

A design statement from Hodder + Partners states that the Gateway House, which was originally designed by Richard Seifert & Partners, is "one of Manchester’s greatest modernist buildings".

"As a result, the strategy for the refurbishment of Gateway House is one of conservation rather than reconstruction," it said.

"The desire is for the façade to capture the dynamism of Station Approach, whereby over 20 million people pass every year. The proposal is to utilise LED lights that will create the largest piece of public artwork in the city."
http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #115
retroscient

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonedbest View Post
You seriously need to get out more and visit other cities if you think that Portland Street has a ‘buzz’ and contributes to this big city feel. If it had developed at a faster rate during the boom years, it might have been reasonable.
Manchester can't hold a candle to the metropolitan buzz of the US and Asian megacities (even London pales to them), but I do think Manchester still does far better for buzz than most other UK cities.

Not to reignite the second city debate, but I've always felt that Manchester's streetscape is its biggest advantage over Birmingham - there's a metropolitan buzz here that I've never gotten from Birmingham.

Stuff like Whitworth Street, Deansgate, Portland Street, and the Oxford Road-Oxford Street junction in particular, on a rainy Friday night - tons of students, buses, rain, trains going over the viaduct. I've been to most of the UK's cities, but not many offer the combination of grand architecture, congested roads, tram horns, trains passing overhead, etc, and fewer still to the scale that Manchester does.

Could be better, but it ain't half bad for a 'provincial' British city.
retroscient no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #116
Seasonedbest
BANNED

It’s already been established and it’s not what i’m saying. I’ve been around the world and back. I know cities that Manchester can and cannot compete with, or ever be able to compete with. I’m also a realist. I come here for updates on retail and construction and for new proposals. I don’t yet stand at the end of Portland Street thinking how wonderful a big city Manchester is because two of the best buildings they’ve ever seen (City and Portland Tower) in their lives sit at the end of it. Also, the street has barely changed in the past twenty/thirty years apart from No1 PG. It’s obviously not high up on the councils plans for development so what makes anyone think things will happen in another 30 years?

I’m satisfied with some of the real proposals and news happening around Manchester - this and 1SPQ without the need for wet dreams.
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #117
jrb
10th February 2008

My initial thoughts. Another hotel. And why not? Couldn't ask for a better location. Then I thought about the McDonald Hotel. Out on a limb. Getting squeezed even more. It's only going to get worse when the fate of the London Road Fire Station is finally settled. Hope it survives.

As for a gateway to the city centre once Gateway House has been refurbished. Up there with the best.
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #118
jrb
10th February 2008

Oh!

This.

Quote:
The proposal is to utilise LED lights that will create the largest piece of public artwork in the city."
Old October 9th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #119
jrb
10th February 2008

Architects Journal.

Stand corrected. Think there's a couple of new renders.

Quote:
Hodder submits plans for £35million overhaul of Seifert's Gateway House

Hodder + Partners has submitted plans for the proposed redevelopment of Richard Seifert’s 1965 Gateway House, next to Piccadilliy Station in Manchester

The scheme, which has changed from the firm’s original competition-winning scheme (AJ 11.12.09), will see the landmark curved-office building converted into a 270-room hotel. The £35 million project for Realty Estates includes a new 3,700m² office block with ground floor retail space on Ducie Street and a separate three-storey gym built behind the Seifert building.

The Manchester-based practice, which has recently moved offices and is headed by Stirling Prize-winning architect Stephen Hodder (Salford University’s Centenary Building 1996), hopes to land planning consent for the development before the end of the year.

English Heritage has confirmed it has no intention to list the existing Seifert buidling.

The architect’s view

Gateway House is often a visitor’s first impression of Manchester. It is now looking a little tired with a public realm unfitting to an international city.

The conversion of Gateway House into a hotel resolves a missing piece of the city by creating a Railway Hotel, in the same vain as St Pancreas Station, London.
Gateway House is considered one of Manchester’s greatest modernist buildings. As a result, the strategy for the refurbishment of is one of conservation rather than reconstruction. The building will be stripped back to its concrete structure and reclad to meet current envelope requirements while still stressing the horizontals and fine grain of the existing building. The desire is for the façade to capture the dynamism of Station Approach whereby over 20 million people pass every year. The proposal is to utilise LED lights that will create the largest piece of public artwork in the city.

The main hotel accommodation - reception, bar and restaurant - is located at first floor level to maximise views over the city and reduce any noise impact of the busy streets below. The new colonnaded base will frame the individual shop units whilst giving an architectural logic to the existing corner that houses Café Nero. The concrete ‘framed base’ becomes the architectural language and rhythm of the new build elements of the scheme, linking the triumvirate of the hotel, retail and office.

The new office block accentuates the podium frame and uses it to form the structure for the office building. Taking the robust massing of the adjacent Victorian warehouse, the frame is used to conceptually hold a Miesian box that further clasps a glass cube. The layering of ‘frame and boxes’ pushes the glass cube northwards, projecting it out of its holding structure. The slip of the glass cube is deliberate in order to create a recess on the southern elevation (which is also louvered) and a projection on the northern face where solar overheating is not an issue.

The office is served from the existing northern core of Gateway House by a series of link bridges which creates a dynamic, eight-storey high atrium linking the entrance to the upper most floor.

The gym offers a destination building, bringing 24 hour a day footfall to the rear of Gateway House as a strategy to activate a forgotten area of Manchester. The main treatment of the facade is opaque glass which will illuminate the building to create a beacon for the buildings activity.

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/n...620531.article
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #120
flange

Likes (Received): 577

Planning applications is online.

Quote:
Gateway House Station Approach Ducie Street Manchester

The refurbishment of Gateway House to create a 270 bedroom hotel with restaurant, bar and meeting rooms above a ground floor retail space for use for Class A1 (Shop) use or Class A2 (Financial and Professional Services) Use or Class A3 (Restaurant and Cafe) Use or Class A4 (Drinking Establishment) Use or Class A5 (Hot Food Take Away) Use, erection of new 7 storey office connected to Gateway House by bridge link, erection of new 3 storey gym and demolition of existing single storey building on Ducie Street.
http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-a...=LOQ3JYBC6K000

Plans online aswell.
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote