daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2010, 09:41 PM   #101
heywindup
BÄNNED

Likes (Received): 6

Beautiful pictures! Lille looks so much like London in some pictures.
heywindup no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:31 AM   #102
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post

Here is the "border crossing" near the Lille metro station I was talking about above. Beyond France onto Belgium there is currently no Google Street View.

Souce: Google Street View

At the border line facing Belgium (Mouscron)

At the same location turning 180 degrees, facing France in the direction of the Lille metro station I mentioned earlier
Those shots of Lille from Google Street View remind me more of an English town.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:03 AM   #103
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Well the first one is Mouscron in Belgium and the 2nd pic is a municipality in Greater Lille but ya, Greater Lille can look particularly English even if it's fair to say I have seen English towns that are very different and where I didn't see much brick.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:26 AM   #104
edubejar

LONDON - Part 23

Somewhere in posh Knightsbridge/Kensington

Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:36 AM   #105
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Quote:
Well the first one is Mouscron in Belgium and the 2nd pic is a municipality in Greater Lille but ya, Greater Lille can look particularly English even if it's fair to say I have seen English towns that are very different and where I didn't see much brick.
Lille looks fascinating. I'm actually going to Paris in a few months, so I'm contemplating visiting Lille for the day (that's if Paris itself isn't too overwhelming, in terms of having a billion and one things to do). I will definitely brush up on my French though first.

Great thread BTW...very interesting.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:42 AM   #106
edubejar

PARIS - Part 23

Back to the single-family houses of chic Saint-Maur-des-Fossés in the south-eastern suburbs of Paris, at the meander of the Marne River

More of the Meulière stone houses featured earlier in this thread
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:53 AM   #107
edubejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Lille looks fascinating. I'm actually going to Paris in a few months, so I'm contemplating visiting Lille for the day (that's if Paris itself isn't too overwhelming, in terms of having a billion and one things to do). I will definitely brush up on my French though first.

Great thread BTW...very interesting.
Lille is a perfect day-trip destination because there are TGV departures every hour or so and the journey is only 1 hour. It can take longer to commute to some suburbs of Paris by RER or Transilien trains than going to Lille plus the TGV is so much more comfortable than suburban trains! Visit http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ where you can purchase your ticket in advance and pick it up just prior to departure with the same credit card you used. That's the website to the French Railways and they often have amazing specials, especially for 1st class.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:09 AM   #108
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Quote:
Lille is a perfect day-trip destination because there are TGV departures every hour or so and the journey is only 1 hour. It can take longer to commute to some suburbs of Paris by RER or Transilien trains than going to Lille plus the TGV is so much more comfortable than suburban trains! Visit http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ where you can purchase your ticket in advance and pick it up just prior to departure with the same credit card you used. That's the website to the French Railways and they often have amazing specials, especially for 1st class.
Thank you for the information! An hour away is excellent -- and we should have time to leave Paris just for one day, but it's also up to the wife I will definitely make sure I have plenty of memory for my camera, so I can take plenty of photos. We were actually considering going to London for the day (to cure my homesickness, but bit too expensive), Brussels or the Loire Valley. Lille would actually be a lot more feasible though and I've always been curious to visit.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:13 AM   #109
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Thank you for the information! An hour away is excellent -- and we should have time to leave Paris just for one day, but it's also up to the wife I will definitely make sure I have plenty of memory for my camera, so I can take plenty of photos. We were actually considering going to London for the day (to cure my homesickness, but bit too expensive), Brussels or the Loire Valley. Lille would actually be a lot more feasible though and I've always been curious to visit.
According to the website, the date / times I chose came in at just over 100 Euros for 2 return tickets....excellent!
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:32 PM   #110
edubejar

LILLE France - Part 23

The last pics of Lille. At a restaurant or brasserie just prior to our 7pm departure back to Paris, having typical Moules et Frites (mussels and fries like in Belgium) with a local beer. Some local dishes had names you don't see elsewhere in France. Some of them sounded almost Dutch (or maybe it was a Picard dialect but it sounded more Germanic than Latin).

Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:57 PM   #111
edubejar

LONDON - Part 24

A little tour of The City. A visit to the Museum of London in The City is a must for anyone who appreciates urban history. The museum is appropriately located in The City where London was born. From pre-Roman London through the Industrial Revolution and WWII, the museum tries to show it all. Many of the streets of The City still bear the layout and names of Medieval London and sometimes pre-Medieval. Too bad there is very little left that is proof to that besides street layout. It's not like Paris did a much better job with Ile-de-la-Cité and the Latin Quarter.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:10 PM   #112
edubejar

PARIS - Part 24

Some shots of the Marne River while visiting Saint-Maur-des-Fossés in the south-eastern suburbs. The houses lining this segment of the river are some of the nicest in the east part of Greater Paris.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:28 AM   #113
edubejar

LONDON - Part 25

Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:46 AM   #114
edubejar

PARIS - Part 25

More along the Marne River in Saint-Maur-des-Fossés

Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:15 AM   #115
Minato ku

Quote:
Too bad there is very little left that is proof to that besides street layout. It's not like Paris did a much better job with Ile-de-la-Cité and the Latin Quarter.
I desagree, much of Ile de la Cité was destroyed by Haussmann in the 19th century, transforming the vibrant heart of the city into in a boring administrative district.
In the future I don't know what we will do of Ile de la Cite as many of the administration located in the island left it for bigger and more modern buildings.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM   #116
edubejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
I desagree, much of Ile de la Cité was destroyed by Haussmann in the 19th century, transforming the vibrant heart of the city into in a boring administrative district.
In the future I don't know what we will do of Ile de la Cite as many of the administration located in the island left it for bigger and more modern buildings.
Oui voilà c'est bien ce que j'ai dit.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:10 PM   #117
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Great photos of all the cities here edubejar - a brilliant idea for the thread! Keep the piccies coming.
Bristol Mike está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:42 PM   #118
edubejar

LONDON - Part 26

While visiting the Tower of London. Let's do some medieval London!

Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM   #119
edubejar

PARIS - Part 26

The last of Saint-Maur-des-Fossés

Walking back to the RER station on the way to Vincennes

Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:26 PM   #120
edubejar

LONDON - Part 27