daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #141
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

LONDON - Part 34

More in and around "The City".

edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #142
edubejar

PARIS - Part 34

In and around Bercy and Seine Rive Gauche neighborhoods separated by the Seine River. Both are the result of redevelopment with new housing and office structures.

Old January 15th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #143
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 479

Excellent thread that avoids most of the usual cliche photos!

Paris is my favourite city on earth - well done
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #144
JoseRodolfo
NON DVCOR DVCO

Likes (Received): 91

This is really a great thread!!
JoseRodolfo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #145
edubejar

LONDON - Part 35

An alleyway in The City

Old January 15th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #146
edubejar

PARIS - Part 35

Around Bercy Park

The arena at Bercy
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #147
Superunknown

Likes (Received): 125

I think I´m in love with London . The vibe just seems to be incredible , and the buildings are great .

What about the girls ??? Or are the french women more beatiful ???
Superunknown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #148
david chanrion

Likes (Received): 6

Oh great work!! keep it going,
thanksssssssssss
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #149
edubejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown View Post
I think I´m in love with London . The vibe just seems to be incredible , and the buildings are great .

What about the girls ??? Or are the french women more beatiful ???
Yes London's vibe is incredible. However I prefer no one replies to your question. That is how threads here in SSC and elsewhere turn sour and get closed, plus this is not the best medium for that. Thanks
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #150
Superunknown

Likes (Received): 125

Hahahaha . I understand . It was a silly question

However , I am in love with that city , for me the most exciting city on earth .

Superunknown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 02:46 AM   #151
edubejar

I'll start of with a London pic that indeed shows the London street vibe or at least the youthful energy that it easily emits. Not sure where I took it anymore.

LONDON - Part 36

View of The City from the bridge

Old January 16th, 2010, 03:28 AM   #152
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
I'll start of with a London pic that indeed shows the London street vibe or at least the youthful energy that it easily emits. Not sure where I took it anymore.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/DSC01676.jpg
It is Oxford street.
See the Center Point tower in the background.
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:01 AM   #153
edubejar

PARIS - Part 36

The Palais de Justice (Courts or Hall of Justice) located in the Cité Island in the heart of Paris. The Palais de Justice is a large complex made up of structures built throughout the history of Paris. At the same site and extent of the present-day complex existed the Palais de la Cité which served as a royal palace in the Middle Ages. That function moved to the Louvre in 1358 before becoming entirely a prison in 1391.

The Conciergerie is the main portion of the present-day Palais de Justice that remains from the Middle Ages. During the French Revolution, many were locked up there before heading to the Guillotine. Queen Marie Antoinette was perhaps the Conciergerie's most famous prisoner.

This is the Palais de Justice on the other side of the island facing the Left Bank of Paris.
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #154
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

This is probably my favourite thread on SSC right now. Not only are they amazing pics, but our friend edubejar is indirectly (or directly) highlighting the fact that these two great world cities are so close to one another, especially now, with the advent of the Channel Tunnel. Imagine, you can be in central Paris one minute, then in just over two hours, you can find yourself in central London. To me, that's simply amazing. If money were no object, you could even work in London and live in Paris (or vice-versa).

BTW, Lille looks great too.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #155
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
This is probably my favourite thread on SSC right now. Not only are they amazing pics, but our friend edubejar is indirectly (or directly) highlighting the fact that these two great world cities are so close to one another, especially now, with the advent of the Channel Tunnel. Imagine, you can be in central Paris one minute, then in just over two hours, you can find yourself in central London. To me, that's simply amazing. If money were no object, you could even work in London and live in Paris (or vice-versa).

BTW, Lille looks great too.
I completely agree. How can so much beauty, so much energy, so much power, so much 'awesomeness' be a two hour journey apart? It's just amazing.
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #156
edubejar

LONDON - Part 37

Around Covent Garden known for its theatres.

Soho is also known for threatres. In fact, they concentrate where Soho, Covent Garden and Leicester Square converge.
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #157
edubejar

PARIS - Part 37

Featuring Rue de la Huchette in the Latin Quarter steps from the Cité Island. Although Cité Island is where Celtic Paris began followed by Roman Paris then Germanic/Medieval Paris during the Middle Ages, only Notre Dame cathedral, the Conciergerie and the nearby chapel is all that seems to remain of Medieval Paris in Cité Island. Ironically, the newer Saint-Louis island is a better picture of old Paris since it has preserved its 17th c. apartment houses and street layout.

However, many areas in the Right Bank and Left Bank near Cité Island have some well preserved streets laid-out in Medieval Times. Medieval buildings and houses rarely remain but many of its 16th and 17th century buildings that you see there today were built on the same narrow, medieval streets.

Rue de la Huchette in the Latin Quarter

Somewhere in Beaubourg or Le Marais

Hotel du Sens, one of Paris' few remaining medieval buildings. And technically it was built in the late 1400s and early 1500s so it's not so medieval. In fact, this side of the building features a more Renaissance style.

Last edited by edubejar; January 16th, 2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #158
edubejar

LONDON - Part 38

Oxford Street, retail-haven and a lot of people

Old January 17th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #159
edubejar

PARIS - Part 38

I already featured a bit of Rue de Rivoli on Page 2, Post 6 but here is a continuation of that street going westbound. Rue de Rivoli was, if not the first, one of the very first main streets in Paris to be carved [almost] perfectly straight in its entirety with well-aligned buildings. In fact, it was a predecessor to the boulevards and avenues of Paris by some 50 years when the work began. It stretches from Place de la Concorde to Saint-Paul metro station in Le Marais.

Last edited by edubejar; January 17th, 2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #160
edubejar

LONDON - Part 39

If one were to agree that the boroughs making up Inner London roughly equates to the area of Paris-proper, then the part of Inner London south of the Thames River was not as spoiled or made to look as presentable as the part of Paris-proper south of the Seine River, known as the Left Bank. I am particularly referring to the London boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark since they are just south of the river of the City of Westminster and Camden (or almost Camden) and The City. Yet they look so different from their northern counterparts unlike the Left Bank in Paris which does not look that different physically from the Right Bank (culturally there is a more pronounced difference).

Nonetheless, I got to see some of the best things that Inner London has to offer south of the river, most of which are very near the river. And quite frankly, I very much appreciated the rougher and inner-city look that a place like the Southwark borough had to offer. In a way, they reminded me of the haphazardly-looking near-suburbs of Paris yet we were well inside Inner London.

Somewhere in Old Kent Road in Southwark, not far from Burgess Park

On Southwark Street in Southwark, not far from the Tate Modern Museum and only steps from the Southwark Cathedral. We were on the way to the famous Borough Market (a big farmer's market) that takes place on Saturdays(?).

But some parts of London south of the Thames River can look as nice as places in the City of Westminster, Camden or The City, north of the river. But they mainly seem to be very near the river. The area around the London IMAX is an example. It's just across the Waterloo Bridge, steps from Waterloo Station.

Tags
lille, london, paris, paris photo