daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #21
hellolazyness

Likes (Received): 2

I can't help but notice that this coincides with a £600m cut in British science funding from the goverment.
hellolazyness no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 10th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #22
rob_right
In the brig

Likes (Received): 0

Building a research centre of this type in Central London is just pure vanity particularly where budgets in this sector are often so constrained - it could just as easily be accomodated in a cheaper location on the outskirts or within one of the UK regions. From my experience of conducting clinical research in Central London the only thing it offers is a faux sense of presteige - costs and quality generally tend to be far inferior to what can be achieved elsewhere.
rob_right no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #23
cybertect

Likes (Received): 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodski Bandit View Post
I always thought that in T42's case though, the logo seen from above was supposedly just a coincidence...?
That's what Richard Seifert said, allegedly. I find it somewhat implausible.
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #24
potto

Likes (Received): 1807

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_right View Post
Building a research centre of this type in Central London is just pure vanity particularly where budgets in this sector are often so constrained - it could just as easily be accomodated in a cheaper location on the outskirts or within one of the UK regions. From my experience of conducting clinical research in Central London the only thing it offers is a faux sense of presteige - costs and quality generally tend to be far inferior to what can be achieved elsewhere.
Im sure it wasnt just to do with vanity! Look at the architecture! You have UCL, UCL Hospital, Welcome Trust and British Library all right next door! With the cancer research admin place up the road and of course Imperial and Kings a short convenient public transport away. It will create quite a nice research cluster possibly paving the way for at least increased collaboration between the universities or possible a London super university. Surely more a long term benefit than sticking sometihng somewhere because it is cheap?
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #25
leverarch

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_right View Post
I'm always having to travel up to Mill Hill to get to the National Institute for Medical Research (which this is replacing), it's such a pain to travel up there from central. It makes sense having this centre so close to UCL, UCH, Wellcome Trust, Great Ormond St Hospital, Institute of Child Health, Institute of Neurology, NHNN, MRC LMCB, LSHTM etc. in the immediate vicinity, and of course Imperial, King's and the Institute of Cancer Research are all nearby in central London. Also, I believe that UCL are part-funding this.
leverarch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #26
woodgnome
CEO, Dingly Dell Corp.

Likes (Received): 390

London super-lab designs revealed

-- Link to BD Online article --

New images of a proposed £600 million “super laboratory” in central London have been released. The designs have been drawn up by HOK with the help of fledgling practice PLP. As BD revealed in April, PLP was drafted in by the client, the UK Centre for Medical Research & Innovation, to help redraw HOK’s original following concern from local planners at Camden Council.

Due to be completed by 2015, the ground-breaking facility will develop new treatments for illnesses such as cancer, heart disease, stroke and flu. It is being planned by the Wellcome Trust, Cancer Research UK, the Medical Research Council and University College London.

PLP partner Fred Pilbrow said the firm’s designs had been shaped by the existing buildings nearby – the British Library and St Pancras railway station are both neighbours. He added: “The architectural strengths in many of the buildings surrounding the UKCMRI site have provided extraordinary inspiration. We have tried to create a design which respects and enhances that legacy.”

London is not a city. It is more like a country, and living in it is like living in Holland or Belgium. Its completeness makes it deceptive - there are sidewalks from one frontier to the other - and its hugeness makes it possible for everyone to invent his own city. My London is not your London, though everyone's Washington, DC is pretty much the same.
The London Embassy - Paul Theroux
woodgnome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #27
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 173

I like the proposed building, almost certain to be a modern classic. A great way to compliment St Pancras and lift the area.

Flickr

Pinterest
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #28
EnglishKevin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertect View Post
It's an architectural idea that has a very long history, or maybe you didn't realise that?

What's a Kathedrale ?
EnglishKevin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #29
EnglishKevin
BANNED

Hurrah ! More glass boxes that supposedly look like a chromosome (at a stretch) ....from the air. Cool....if you live in the sky.
EnglishKevin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #30
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Yeah, a glass box, all that stone they've used on the facade is just pretend.

Flickr

Pinterest
Old June 29th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #31
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1629

I wouldn't mind a box made of candyfloss, you know?
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #32
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

And kittens!

Flickr

Pinterest
Old June 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #33
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 892

I like it, looks good. Also the chromosome shape was an accident, just like Tower 42's Natwest Logo or Riverside South's two fingers up at the Square Mile.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #34
woodgnome
CEO, Dingly Dell Corp.

UK to take unprecedented step in international science leadership

Plans for UK’s research hub unveiled

London is not a city. It is more like a country, and living in it is like living in Holland or Belgium. Its completeness makes it deceptive - there are sidewalks from one frontier to the other - and its hugeness makes it possible for everyone to invent his own city. My London is not your London, though everyone's Washington, DC is pretty much the same.

Last edited by woodgnome; September 7th, 2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: reinstating broken links
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #35
The Champ

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodski Bandit View Post
I always thought that in T42's case though, the logo seen from above was supposedly just a coincidence...? Something which I've never personally believed to be honest
I've worked for NatWest's property division for the last 16 years and I've always been led to believe it was a coincidence
The Champ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #36
delores

Likes (Received): 171

I really like the new proposal far better than the previous design.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #37
JackM

Likes (Received): 4

It's a very pleasant looking building, it looks modern but it isn't over the top, and it looks like a good place to work. (Which i hopefully might, if I'm able to get a spot at university for biology ).
JackM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #38
randolph

Likes (Received): 65

LIke it - classy, understated yet still bold and contemporary. I like the mix of materials- the stone references the past without pastiche or kitch - nice curves to the roof line ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiwfnLf-MN0
randolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #39
woodgnome
CEO, Dingly Dell Corp.

UKCMRI submits plans for world-leading medical research institute

-- Link to UKCMRI press release --

Plans for a new world-leading medical research institute at St Pancras and Somers Town in London have been presented to Camden Council. The UK Centre for Medical Research and Innovation (UKCMRI) will carry out ground-breaking research on the basic biology underlying human health. It will drive forward better treatment and prevention of the most significant diseases affecting people today such as cancer and heart disease.

The proposed development responds to the findings of the Cooksey Review (December 2006) a report for HM Government into the arrangements for funding health research. Against this backdrop, UKCMRI will enhance the ability of the country's leading biomedical research institutions to work together to tackle some of the biggest medical challenges facing the UK and the world.

A planning application for the institute was submitted to the Council on 1 September. It is expected to be heard by members of the Development Control Committee before the end of the year, following a formal consultation by the Council. If approved, construction will begin next year with completion in 2015.

The application follows over two years of consultation with scientists, business leaders, politicians and planners. Furthermore, the UKCMRI team has met more than 500 local people and carried out more than 70 consultation activities.

The Chair of UKCMRI, Sir David Cooksey, said: "The proposed UKCMRI building has been carefully designed to meet future scientific demands and to respond to the architectural heritage of the local area. In addition we have modified the exterior, public areas and open spaces in response to consultation. UKCMRI is perfectly positioned to bring together a wealth of expertise to tackle some of the biggest challenges in beating cancers, heart disease, stroke, 'flu and neuro-degenerative diseases. It sits within the extraordinary cluster of medical and scientific expertise already found in Camden. This is an unprecedented opportunity for UK science. New discoveries and technological advances have opened up countless opportunities to uncover fundamental causes of health and disease. "

UKCMRI has been founded by the Medical Research Council (MRC), Cancer Research UK, the Wellcome Trust and UCL (University College London). It will be based on the world-class research currently being carried out at the MRC's National Institute for Medical Research, Cancer Research UK's London Research Institute, and in UCL's laboratories. The Wellcome Trust has supported numerous innovative ventures in recent years including the Sanger Institute which sequenced a third of the human genome.

UKCMRI will be a substantial institute providing space for more than 1,500 staff, including 1,250 scientists from a range of disciplines. UKCMRI's location amid the cluster of outstanding research and medical institutions in Camden, many within easy walking distance, will foster the collaborations and multi-disciplinary working which are now recognised as essential for success in biomedical science.

UKCMRI will play an important national role. It will recruit from a global pool of talent, providing an opportunity for researchers to develop their careers in the UK. Through collaboration it will build extensive links throughout the UK and internationally, assisted by the excellent national and international transport links on its doorstep. UKCMRI will reinforce London's and the UK's position as a global centre of research excellence.

Plans for the new institute are open to view at an exhibition on the site of the proposed institute at Brill Place to the west of the St Pancras International Station. The exhibition is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays and one Saturday a month. For more details visit www.ukcmri.ac.uk.

The UKCMRI consortium

The UK Centre for Medical Research and Innovation (UKCMRI) is an unprecedented partnership between four of the world's leading biomedical research organisations: the Medical Research Council, Cancer Research UK, the Wellcome Trust and UCL (University College London). It will carry out research of the highest quality using the latest technology to advance our understanding of human health and disease. The institute will be constructed on 3.6 acres of land at Brill Place, to the north of the British Library in the St Pancras and Somers Town area of north London.
Building on research excellence

UKCMRI will initially build on the complementary skills and research interests of two of the founders' research institutes, the MRC National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) and the Cancer Research UK London Research Institute (LRI), together with UCL scientists focusing on physics, computing, engineering, imaging and chemistry.

* NIMR is renowned for its research in a diverse range of fields, including developmental and stem cell biology, structural biology, neuroscience, immunology and infectious disease. Its 600 scientific staff are based in laboratories in north London at Mill Hill. NIMR's director is Jim Smith.
* LRI has an international reputation for basic cancer biology research, focusing on cell regulation and signalling, tumour and tissue biology, and genomic integrity. Directed by Richard Treisman, LRI has some 500 scientists working at laboratories at Lincoln's Inn Fields, central London and Clare Hall, Hertfordshire.

In addition to funding the cost of building UKCMRI, the founders will provide ongoing research support to the institute. Wellcome Trust support will fund interdisciplinary research spanning biology, chemistry, physics, maths and engineering.
Key facts:

* 1500 staff, including 1250 scientists
* Annual budget of over £100m
* Initial investment of £600m
* 3.6 acres of land
* Building area: 91,000 square metres

Timeline:

1 September 2010 - planning application submitted

December 2010 -Camden councillors consider application

Early 2011 - Construction starts

2015 - Construction ends
Viewing the planning application:

We understand that Camden Council will publish the application on their website in due course.

For more information on the project visit www.ukcmri.ac.uk

The partners:

The Medical Research Council: For almost 100 years the Medical Research Council has improved the health of people in the UK and around the world by supporting the highest quality science. The MRC invests in world-class scientists. It has produced 29 Nobel Prize winners and sustains a flourishing environment for internationally recognised research. The MRC focuses on making an impact and provides the financial muscle and scientific expertise behind medical breakthroughs, including one of the first antibiotics penicillin, the structure of DNA and the lethal link between smoking and cancer. Today MRC funded scientists tackle research into the major health challenges of the 21st century. www.mrc.ac.uk

Cancer Research UK is the world's leading charity dedicated to beating cancer through research. The charity's groundbreaking work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives. This work is funded entirely by the public. Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival rates double in the last thirty years. Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of more than 4,800 scientists, doctors and nurses. Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to beat cancer. For further information about Cancer Research UK's work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 020 7121 6699 or visit www.cancerresearchuk.org

The Wellcome Trust is a global charity dedicated to achieving extraordinary improvements in human and animal health. It supports the brightest minds in biomedical research and the medical humanities. The Trust's breadth of support includes public engagement, education and the application of research to improve health. It is independent of both political and commercial interests. www.wellcome.ac.uk

UCL (University College London): UCL is London's leading multi-disciplinary university, with 8000 staff and 23,000 students from 150 countries engaged in world-class teaching and research. UCL is the fourth-ranked university in the 2009 THES-QS World University Rankings and one of Europe's largest and most productive centres for biomedical science. It is ranked second in the world for neuroscience and behaviour, with more than twice as many publications and citations as any other European institution. In 2008 it established UCL Partners, Europe's largest Academic Health Science Centre, with four key partner hospital trusts - Great Ormond Street, Moorfields, the Royal Free and University College Hospital. www.ucl.ac.uk

Last edited by woodgnome; September 7th, 2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old September 7th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #40
woodgnome
CEO, Dingly Dell Corp.

Bird and swine flu ‘super-lab’ at St Pancras site

-- Link to Evening Standard article --

A maximum security laboratory next to St Pancras station will be at the front line of Britain's fight against the next flu pandemic. The £600 million “super lab” will be one of the largest in Europe and employ 1,250 scientists, many of whom will work in a bunker to prevent the spread of airborne disease.

The UK Centre for Medical Research and Innovation, the body behind the Somers Town building, claims the site will be totally secure with no risk of virus particles escaping into nearby homes. But campaigners are angry that no housing is planned for the site, and are concerned the huge building could become a terrorist target and the focal point for protests against animal testing.

The glass, brick and metal lab will be secured to “biosafety level three-plus”, that is capable of containing bacteria including malaria and tuberculosis. Along with cancer, they will be some of the many deadly diseases studied at the “global centre of research excellence”.

John Cooper, chief operating officer and interim chief executive of UKCMRI, said: “UKCMRI is planning to study different strains of flu, including H5N1 (bird) flu. Some of these viruses need to be studied in special, secure laboratories. The founders' scientists and technicians are extremely experienced in ensuring these viruses are studied safely.”

UKCMRI is a conglomerate of the Medical Research Council, University College London, Cancer Research UK and The Wellcome Trust. About one third of the building, which is up to 154 feet high in places, will be underground.

Opponents of the scheme, including the local MP and former Labour health secretary Frank Dobson, are angry that no social housing has been included on the 3.6 acre site. A pressure group called Stop Camden Lab has been formed to oppose the plans, which were formally lodged last week. Councillor Roger Robinson, Labour representative for St Pancras and Somers Town, said: “Why they want to put a lab in the middle of a built-up area is beyond my comprehension.”

The building will replace the ageing Medical Research Council laboratory in Mill Hill, which led Britain's bird and swine flu research.

Reader Views
Quote:
Is it really sensible to do research on dangerous infectious pathogens in the centre of one of the world's largest cities?

I'm not suggesting it sould go on an uninhabited island in the Outer Hebrides, but surely somewhere with few or no inhabitations for a mile or two around could be found, even in the home counties?

How about on the site of a nuclear power station, or immediately adjacent? That would mean tight security against terrorist attacks was already be in place, at no extra cost.

- Nigel, London, 06/09/2010 14:06
Quote:
This is prime central London, bang on the doorstep of multiple national and international rail routes and several tube lines. A ideal place for scientists to commute to, meet up in and exchange ideas.

Right next door to the british library and the wellcome trust, why the hell should it be used for social housing? this would be a total waste.

- jonathan, london, 06/09/2010 11:23
Quote:
What a brillian idea, right in central London and next to St Pancras and King's Cross train stations so that not only do we infect central London but we get is spread pretty quickly to the north.

Is it April fool's day?

- Stephen C, London, 06/09/2010 11:00

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: