daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #41
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 176

Dortmund has sheer size, and plenty of volume, fair play for that.

But as I said previously, the architectural care put into the Holte End, and the history of the stadium and the club. Coupled with its size and the quirkiness of the supporters, with regards the songs and banners, make it unique. It has all the noise of any competing stand of course, and more!

Plus, most of the post so far are areas of a stadium rather than stands. Only in England and Scotland really, do you get proper intimidating, single structure stands. Unfortunately even here they are becoming a dying breed.

BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #42
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

The interior is shit shoulda been one tier. The exterior facade is quality though!!!
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #43
Luke80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
and get your allocation reduced....
Yeah like I heard United did up at Sunderland.
Luke80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #44
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamJim View Post
But as I said previously, the architectural care put into the Holte End, and the history of the stadium and the club.
And Westfalen and Dortmund don't have history? What an biased and egocentric (borderline sad) point of view. Westfalen hosted 2 World Cups, 2 UEFA Cup finals and it saw its team on way to CL title + 3 domestic titles + German cup.

Quote:
quirkiness of the supporter, with regards the songs and banners, make it unique. It has all the noise of any competing stand of course, and more!
No it doesn't. Westfalen (and around 20-30 stadiums in Europe) are way ahead in those terms than Villa Park and that stand.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #45
Andre«B
Andre«B

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuquito View Post
I like the fact that it has a moat instead of fences. Visibility is very important to me.
For me too.

This was the Brazilian League final round, last sunday. Flamengo won the title... This moat (portugese: "fosso") used to be much deeper, but as the field was reconstructed for the 2007 PanAm games, it was reduced to something like 5 feet deep.

Many years ago people used to invade the pitch in final games, but that that doesn't happen in Maracan„ Stadium anymore.
Andre«B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #46
bigbossman

Moats and fences are as bad as each other!

Anyway what's wrong with people invading the pitch? That's one of things I hate about modern football, let people celebrate freely. If they cause trouble deal with them after, give them stadium bans (for derbys) whatever, but not all pitch invaders are trouble makers!

Perfectly reasonable invasions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
And Westfalen and Dortmund don't have history? What an biased and egocentric (borderline sad) point of view. Westfalen hosted 2 World Cups, 2 UEFA Cup finals and it saw its team on way to CL title + 3 domestic titles + German cup.

No it doesn't. Westfalen (and around 20-30 stadiums in Europe) are way ahead in those terms than Villa Park and that stand.
As much as I love the westfalen, come on

The westfalen was built from the 1974 world cup, Villa park is from the 19th century...

Last edited by bigbossman; December 14th, 2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #47
SpicyMcHaggis

Quote:
As much as I love the westfalen, come on

The westfalen was built from the 1974 world cup, Villa park is from the 19th century...
Being older makes it better? There are grounds older than Villa Park but yet even new Wembley has more "historical" games than those.
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #48
Demetrius
The Besieger

Likes (Received): 313

Legendary Gate 7 in Karaiskaki Ground, Olympiacos Piraeus:

..and last a coreo in tribute to the 21 fans that died after the Olympiacos-AEK 6-0 game on the 08/02/1981.
The victims were ran over & suffocated to death by other fans as they were exiting the overcrowed tribune and someone had forgotten one of the exits locked....

... vintage photos:

The late legendary leader "Attilio" with his trumpet

...and the memorial for the 21 victims just outside the stadium:

...and last year's memorial service:

GATE 7 FOREVER!
The splendour of its prime;
And leave, if nought so bright may live,
All earth can take or Heaven can give.

Percy Bysshe Shelley, "Hellas"

Last edited by Demetrius; December 15th, 2009 at 11:57 PM.
Demetrius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #49
SpicyMcHaggis

That stand is too new to be considered legendary. Old stand yes, this new one not yet
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #50
Demetrius
The Besieger

Quote:
That stand is too new to be considered legendary. Old stand yes, this new one not yet
Olympiacos is called by its fans simply "The Legend", as it is the most succesfull club in Greece ( at least in football titles).
Even this fact alone, should we neglect that "new" Gate 7 is a mere reconstruction of the old one at the same venue, would classify any re-incarnation of Gate 7 as "legendary"...

Old December 15th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #51
SpicyMcHaggis

Wasn't new Karaiskaki built almost from scratch?
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #52
Andre«B
Andre«B

Quote:
Moats and fences are as bad as each other!
Fences are worst... They're an obstacle to visibility. As a football fan, if I had to choose, I would prefer moat...

Quote:
Anyway what's wrong with people invading the pitch? That's one of things I hate about modern football, let people celebrate freely. If they cause trouble deal with them after, give them stadium bans (for derbys) whatever, but not all pitch invaders are trouble makers!
Yes, the ideal stadium for me would be free of fences and moats... But I think we have different perspectives on this... Here in South-America, there's a history of violent, agressive pitch invaders and little law enforcement against them... For many years, fences and moats were for security... Things used to be worse one decade ago, almost going out of control, now i see improvement. Pitch invasions are going rare.

So, the stadiums are changing too, many new stadiums follow "english standard" of architecture and some other stadiums (here in Brazil) will have to apply to FIFA standards, due to World Cup 2014.

Quote:
Perfectly reasonable invasions
I agree with you on this. The pitch is an "emergency exit" option.
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #53
SpicyMcHaggis

Alvalade version of moats is the best. Audience is still near enough.

Old December 15th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #54
Demetrius
The Besieger

edit.

Old December 15th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #55
Demetrius
The Besieger

Quote:
Wasn't new Karaiskaki built almost from scratch?
^
Technically yes, the old one was torn down and new one was raised on the very same ground the old once stood. However, people who have experienced both the new and the old, agree that beyond the new facilities the reconstruction has offered to fans, the spirit of the old venue both inside & outside the stadium remains the same...After all, since entering "new" Karaiskaki, Olympiacos already counts 5 championship titles, 4 cup titles, 2 champions league best-16 qualifications, just to mention some major achievements, therefore...The Legend lives on...

Old December 15th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #56
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Moats are awful, but fences are dehumanizing.
Bobby3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #57
bigbossman

Quote:
Being older makes it better? There are grounds older than Villa Park but yet even new Wembley has more "historical" games than those.
when were we talking about better.... we were talking about history, longevity has the upperhand. Read up on the history of Villa park before you make wild assumptions, especially that the new wembley has more historical games LMAO

Here's just a couple

Football didn't begin this decade you know!!
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:19 AM   #58
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre«B View Post
Fences are worst... They're an obstacle to visibility. As a football fan, if I had to choose, I would prefer moat...
Yeah but moats separate you from the pitch physically...

Quote:
Yes, the ideal stadium for me would be free of fences and moats... But I think we have different perspectives on this... Here in South-America, there's a history of violent, agressive pitch invaders and little law enforcement against them... For many years, fences and moats were for security... Things used to be worse one decade ago, almost going out of control, now i see improvement. Pitch invasions are going rare.
And you think we didn't in the UK??? There's a little thing called trust, and if you betray that trust come down hard.

You treat people like animals, and more often than not they'll act like animals!

Quote:
So, the stadiums are changing too, many new stadiums follow "english standard" of architecture and some other stadiums (here in Brazil) will have to apply to FIFA standards, due to World Cup 2014.
The english model is shit, most english don't like it!

I agree with you on this. The pitch is an "emergency exit" option.[/QUOTE]
Old December 15th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #59
Andre«B
Andre«B

Quote:
Yeah but moats separate you from the pitch physically...
I keep saying... As a fan, I prefer a moat separating me from the field than a fence breaking my view... I go to the stadium to watch the game.

Quote:
The english model is shit, most english don't like it!
I know you guys have discussions on "standing vs. seating", but your stadiums have seats quite near to the pitch... In Brazil, average is 15m from the pitch. I prefer the engish way.
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #60
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Villa is one of the most important teams in Europe. You don't hear a lot about them because they've been mid-table for awhile now, but they're coming back under O'Neill. You hear a lot of teams say they're "big", but Villa is seriously big. It's up there with Arsenal, Liverpool, and Manchester United.

As for Villa Park, it's a classic. The Westfalenstadion is wonderful, and in all honesty as a spectator I'd prefer it, but as a purist I'd take Villa Park, and I mean no disrespect to Dortmund when I say that, but Villa Park oozes character and history in a way few grounds do, it's the last remaining giant of it's era. Craven Cottage is around, but it's small and places like Tynecastle and Deepdale have been developed beyond recognition.

First and foremost, Villa Park is a sporting ground, that's what makes it special.

Last edited by Bobby3; December 15th, 2009 at 07:13 AM.
Bobby3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote