daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #61
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 176

The Holte End has aged and changed over the last 120 years, and obviously now looks nothing like it did back inthe late 1800's, or even as below, upto the 1990's with it's huge terrace (the biggest behind a goal in england)

but the fact that it's the same plot of land, with ongoing generations of supporters, singing the same sogs, waving the same colours - has to be taken into consideration in this discussion. I'm delighted that the modern day owners have taken care in ensuring the history is considered when making stadium improvements. In this I include not only the stand itself and the facade, but also the edwardian supporters pub which adjoins it, and the stately home across the road. It all plays a part, and makes it better IMO, than any boring mass of concrete and steel.

image hosted on flickr
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #62
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
You hear a lot of teams say they're "big", but Villa is seriously big. It's up there with Arsenal, Liverpool, and Manchester United.
Aston Villa are indeed a 'big' club, they used to be in the so-called 'big six' before the horrible modern-day version called the 'big four' because of the Champions League. However, to say that Villa are as 'big' as United and Liverpool is ridiculous. They don't even compare to Arsenal in my opinion. I'd put them in the same bracket as Everton.

Villa Park is a very historic ground and I have stood on the Holte End in the 1983 FA Cup final semi with United against Arsenal. But it isn't even the best 'end' in England let alone the world.

Last edited by AdidasGazelle; December 15th, 2009 at 09:32 PM.
AdidasGazelle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #63
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by ōlandDK View Post
SŁdtribune in Dortmund:
[img]http://i22.************/2mg6wpf.jpg[/img]
This... [/thread]
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #64
Milanomia
Ciclista Metropolitano

Likes (Received): 3197

Curva sud Milano. AC Milan supporters

Milanomia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #65
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

the signs to make words with the crowd reminds of Forest Gump

I think soccer crowds care more about what happens in the stands than on the field.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #66
SSE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
lol

Oi!

Back to your boring, modern, nondescript bowl with you!
SSE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #67
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post

I think soccer crowds care more about what happens in the stands than on the field.
Yes, having funeral bands playing while 100k of ppl eats hot dogs is soooo much better.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #68
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
Oi!

Back to your boring, modern, nondescript bowl with you!
lol no, my first ever game was at selhurst park, 9 years old, arthur wait stand 1995/96 Palace vs Tranmere, David Hopkin free kick winner, throwing the ball to Dean Gordon when it came towards me (front row), great memories.

I'm just laughing because it's your favourite, the stand it replaced was surely "better". And it looks so damn out of place in that stadium
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #69
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
Yes, having funeral bands playing while 100k of ppl eats hot dogs is soooo much better.
lol, but tbf some ultras really need to get a grip!
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #70
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
lol, but tbf some ultras really need to get a grip!
They need to chill with violence. But for flares, banners, choreos... the more the merrier. Just don't throw them on the pitch.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #71
SSE

Quote:
lol no, my first ever game was at selhurst park, 9 years old, arthur wait stand 1995/96 Palace vs Tranmere, David Hopkin free kick winner, throwing the ball to Dean Gordon when it came towards me (front row), great memories.

I'm just laughing because it's your favourite, the stand it replaced was surely "better". And it looks so damn out of place in that stadium
Oh, you are right. I'd rather have the original terrace anyday:

It's swings and roundabouts though, my Dad still moans it's not been the same since it was a grass bank!

I kind of like that it's the only 'finished' part of the ground though. Part of Selhurst's dubious charm!

Dean Gordon, what a legend! He once scored a hat-trick for Palace against West Brom from left-back. Admittedly two were penalties (what a left foot he had!) but I'm not taking it away from him.
Old December 18th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #72
pirufioxxx
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

i dont like the england modern stadiums, all seated, wheres the ****ign passion men??
pirufioxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #73
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirufioxxx View Post
i dont like the england modern stadiums, all seated, wheres the ****ign passion men??
What do seats have to do with passion?
koolio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #74
thenightdriver

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post

[IMG]http://i47.************/atqlon.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/6nz5mc.jpg[/IMG]
thenightdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #75
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirufioxxx View Post
In the pubs and bars, and in front of the computers watching the internet streams.

Stewards at grounds make you sit down, you get chucked out of stadiums for swearing. It's not our fault!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
Well two people can stand where one person can sit so prices were cheaper meaning it attracted younger poorer fans, who are naturally far more rowdy and visably passionate.

Ticket prices have risen by 600% in less than 20 years since they installed seats, it attracts a certain class of reserved fan.
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #76
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
Oh, you are right. I'd rather have the original terrace anyday:

It's swings and roundabouts though, my Dad still moans it's not been the same since it was a grass bank!
That must've been fun and games in the rain... when was that the 60s?

Quote:
I kind of like that it's the only 'finished' part of the ground though. Part of Selhurst's dubious charm!
tbf I'd love the original plan to be completed, Palace sell themselves short, when they were in the prem they only averaged what 24,000. But isn't it the case that Palace could probably sell 35,000+ season tickets in the premier league and the fact the stadium is so small hinders them. Kind of like Fulham and Pompey, when shitty northern clubs come down.

Quote:
Dean Gordon, what a legend! He once scored a hat-trick for Palace against West Brom from left-back. Admittedly two were penalties (what a left foot he had!) but I'm not taking it away from him.
lol, was a good player. I remember in the mid 90s when ITV used to show division 1 games, it always seemed to be millwall vs Palace as far as I remember!
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #77
Andre«B
Andre«B

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
A lot... I don't know why... But a lot.

When people are standing, they sing louder, they jump...
That's fun. I prefer to see the game standing.

Maracana Stadium
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Last edited by Andre«B; December 18th, 2009 at 04:58 PM.
Andre«B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #78
SSE

Quote:
That must've been fun and games in the rain... when was that the 60s?

tbf I'd love the original plan to be completed, Palace sell themselves short, when they were in the prem they only averaged what 24,000. But isn't it the case that Palace could probably sell 35,000+ season tickets in the premier league and the fact the stadium is so small hinders them. Kind of like Fulham and Pompey, when shitty northern clubs come down.

lol, was a good player. I remember in the mid 90s when ITV used to show division 1 games, it always seemed to be millwall vs Palace as far as I remember!
Yeah early 60s if I'm correct.

I only got to stand on the terrace a couple of times when I was very small. I spent most of the time on my Dad's shoulders. I saw three games from there I think. My Dad insisted we stood there for the last league game it was open in 1994, it was the same day we were presented with the First Division trophy so it was a great day. Shame Watford went and beat us 2-0!

If we'd stayed in the Prem after 1998, and hadn't got into trouble with Mark Goldberg then I'm sure it would have been a reality. Long-term Prem football would be required to maintain that kind of support though. At the time there was a lot of opposition from the houses between the main stand and Holmesdale (which were built after the ground was there FFS) and the council favoured them. Nowadays they are desperate to keep the club in Croydon, so if we had the money I'm sure we could redevelop the main stand.

Whether that's required I'm not sure; we are only averaging 14,000 these days. Mainly because a lot of the older fanbase has moved away, and nowadays young kids in Croydon choose to support Arsenal and Chelsea instead of Palace. Most Palace fans attending games are coming in from Surrey and the surrounding area (I'm from Sussex). Considering the ethnic make up of South London, it's a shame that crowds at Selhurst are still so clearly white and middle class. There is a huge potential fan base waiting to be tapped into. Maybe with sustained Premiership football we would be able to get back the supporters who have drifted away and also attract younger, more local support. Ticket prices would have to drop for that to happen though. They are doing their best, even in our financial state we are still doing quite a few kids for a quid days (tomorrow will be another if the game takes place!).

To be honest, I'd be delighted if in the next year or so we were financially stable and in control of the ground ouselves. At least then we could refurbish/rebuild even if they don't expand it. The Arthur Wait has a massive footprint, if they could get the permission to take it higher than it currently is, then a new stand could have a much better rake to it and it would be a massive improvement on the current view. Maybe something similar to the new stand at Welford Road:

If both the Arthur Wait and the Main Stand were refurbished (including new corporate suites) then it wouldn't matter if the capacity wasn't increased. There would always be the option of filling in the corners or redeveloping the Whitehorse Land end at a later date.
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #79
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre«B View Post
A lot... I don't know why... But a lot.

When people are standing, they sing louder, they jump...
That's fun. I prefer to see the game standing.
that is so right. when standing, you automatically sing louder because when sitting, the thoracic diaphragm can't hold the sung sounds.

and that's why in this stadium (Stadion an der Alten FŲrsterei, 1. FC Union Berlin (2nd german league), which has just been renovated to this season (beside the small main stand which will be replaced later), creates a much better atmosphere than another stadium of the same capacity (19,000), but less terracing.

Alte FŲrsterei:

Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #80
Andre«B
Andre«B

Likes (Received): 3

After 2014 World Cup, I think Brazil should follow the german structure with both seating and standing (behind the goals)...

My english is bad, I know. But you don't speak portuguese, do you?

Last edited by Andre«B; December 19th, 2009 at 07:47 AM.
Andre«B no está en línea   Reply With Quote