daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Florida

Florida Welcome to the sunshine state

Old December 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #1
jzquince69
jimmy

Likes (Received): 545

Sunrail Commuter Rail System

Well, I didn't realize this, but there wasn't a thread dedicated to Sunrail- only to HSR and to the fact that Sunrail could be delayed (and some other thread about Orlando's LRT?).
jzquince69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #2
jzquince69
jimmy

It will consist of trains, 1-3 cars in length. Each car carries up to 218 passengers (for a total of 654 passengers per train).

Here are the proposed initial operating times:

5:30am
6:00am
6:30am
7:00am
7:30am
8:00am
8:30am
10:30am or 11:00am
12:30pm or 1:00pm
2:30pm or 3:00pm
3:30pm
4:00pm
4:30pm
5:00pm
5:30pm
6:00pm
6:30pm

Later than that, I don't know at this time; running every 30 min. during peak times, and every 120 min. off peak times. I assume depending on demand, operating times will change.

Sanford will house the maintenance facility. and existing train stations in Deland (Amtrak), Sanford (Amtrak Auto Train), Kissimmee (Amtrak), Orlando (Church St. Depot), Winter Park (Amtrak), and the old Atlantic Station by ORHS (Amtrak), will be utilized and improved. A lot of people don't realize that Orlando metro has six (6) passenger train stations here with 5 in use. The Lynx Central Station will be retrofitted to allow for rail as well.

They already have a project study area for an east-west LRT line that connects to Sunrail.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by jzquince69; December 9th, 2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Dale

Likes (Received): 1590

What's the story on Deland ? The map in the paper today has the line originating in Debary, with Deland described as a later phase.

Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #4
jzquince69
jimmy

Phase I is DeBary to ORHS. Unless Phase I is all the way to Sand Lake Road (for OIA)

Phase II is DeLand to DeBary and ORHS (or SLR) to Poinciana

I didn't see that diagram yet.

Old December 9th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzquince69 View Post
Phase I is DeBary to ORHS. Unless Phase I is all the way to Sand Lake Road (for OIA)

Phase II is DeLand to DeBary and ORHS (or SLR) to Poinciana

I didn't see that diagram yet.
Yes, I knew that. My question is why Deland is related to phase II, seeing as how they already have a station.

Old December 9th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #6
SkyDiveJunkee

Likes (Received): 546

Map of SunRail:

Kissimmee also has a station ready to go -- I really wish it were in the first phase as well and then add in the additional stops at a later date.

SkyDiveJunkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Jahi98

Likes (Received): 44

Glad the state finally approved it. The bill isn't perfect, but everyone can't be pleased. Just glad this project is going forward, and excited for what it means to rail initiatives in Tampa Bay and other parts of the state.

Jahi98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #8
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 136

Just as a side thought, I wonder if it would have been feasible to have it stop at Orlando/Sanford International. I know they would likely have had to build new tracks, but that would have been great for flying in/out of that airport.

Steve

"My badger's gonna unleash hell on your ass. Badgertastic!"

tampasteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #9
kevinkagy

Likes (Received): 986

So how do you guys think ridership will look for Sunrail? Do most Orlando residents work in Downtown? How are commuting patterns in the city?

kevinkagy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #10
SkyDiveJunkee

Quote:

They already have a project study area for an east-west LRT line that connects to Sunrail.
Interesting -- do you have more details about this? Is there a map proposal?

Old December 9th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #11
jzquince69
jimmy

the LRT study area goes E-W through Taft from Lake Nona to I-Drive area, if I recall, b/c it uses existing easement of the tracks that carry coal through MCO to the power plant near Avalon, which goes right through Lake Nona/417 (you can see the track from the highway). Lake Nona houses Medical City.

The largest employment centers in Orlando aside from WDW are downtown Orlando, Maitland Center, and the Heathrow/Lake Mary office parks. Maitland Center is on the other side of I-4 from the tracks, and a bus link will offer the direct connection (the office park is pretty spread out).

Same with the Heathrow/Lake Mary centers (Primera; Northpoint; etc.); 427 is a couple of miles to the east. The tracks hug 427 most of the way in Seminole County.

Aside from those locations for business parks, Florida Hospital and ORHS both have/will have stations directly on their property. They are big employment centers that are constantly expanding.

Winter Park is a sizeable employment center as well. But residents don't want a gazillion buses clogging their streets.

The Sand Lake and Meadowwoods stations would be the closest to the large industrial park sector of the region.

The Osceola Parkway station would be near where Michigan Ave. intersects with Osceola Pkwy about 1/2 mile from the Turnpike exit.

Downtown Kissimmee station is right smack in their downtown.

The Poinciana Industrial Park station is right near all the industrial buildings down in that area. But, I think they need yet another station in the tip of Poinciana where the WalMart is, which is another 4-5 miles south, to really make that station effective for residents, but that would require a new track.

The Deltona/DeBary station, IMO, will be the biggest station of them all, as there are a lot of commuters that like in West VoCo that commute into central Orlando. That might be the station that creates the most demand for the route.

Old December 10th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #12
SkyDiveJunkee

A few things are going to have to happen for this to work. Companies are going to have to promote SunRail to their employees, they are going to have to share the cost of monthly SunRail passes as a benefit (this is commonplace in most Northeast cities with mass transit) to the employee. They are also going to have to pick up their employees in buses and vans at the closest SunRail station stop in order to make things easy and convenient for their employees to get to and from work.

I do hope that someone is already working on this behind the scenes, and if not, will be soon. The ONLY way for ridership to keep the trains running is successful integration with the community and the companies that could benefit from it being in their backyard.

Old December 10th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #13
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 136

I am not sure about the Orlando area, but in Hillsborough county there are tax write offs for employers that subsidize transit tickets (and bike riding). These tax write offs apply to bus tickets/passes and TECO line tickets/passes. Residents along the TECO line also get discounts on tickets and passes. I am not sure if this is a state or county program though.

The bike program is pretty cool too. I forget the exact amount, but an employer can give an employee $20 a month to offset the cost of buying and maintenance on a bike that they use to get to/from work. However, it cannot be combined with a transit (bus, rail, etc.) reimbursement.

Steve

"My badger's gonna unleash hell on your ass. Badgertastic!"

Last edited by tampasteve; December 10th, 2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: clarification of facts
tampasteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #14
jzquince69
jimmy

I know that we pay for our employees' and some tenants' parking right now at the Plaza. It ain't cheap. Sunrail option would be good.

As of right now, the most direct stops to existing work and living I would say are Downtown Orlando's 2 stops (Lynx & Church St.), FH South, ORHS, Downtown Winter Park, Downtown Deland, and Downtown Kissimmee.

Sand Lake Rd, Meadowwoods, Osceola Pkwy, Sanford, Lake Mary, Poinciana are mostly industrial. I don't know enough about Longwood's station area; it is in downtown Longwood off of 427. And Maitland's station is off the path from Maitland Center but directly on the 17/92 corridor across from Mercedes, but close to the Ravinia project that tanked when Steve Walsh left us. And I think the DeBary/Deltona stop will be the only thing there once it opens on the SW edge of that urban area.

I wonder how many projects get proposed and built to coincide their opening with the rail service opening? Will Sunrail bust the busted trend of the CFLA economy ala banks lending $$$ for new developments? Or, will this cr@p economy keep some of these new projects from being built until after the thing is up and running?
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #15
alex7677

Likes (Received): 55

I live near the proposed Meadow Woods station, in south Orange County,
A good majority of people in the area are excited for the Sunrail, there are some industrial areas, but its mostly residential and and the station will be directly across the street from Cypress Creek High School. It will also be in walking distance for many neighborhoods around the station, +++.
I'm wondering what future construction projects will fill in the area...

alex7677 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #16
alex7677

Likes (Received): 55

I live near the proposed Meadow Woods station, in south Orange County,
A good majority of people in the area are excited for the Sunrail, there are some industrial areas, but its mostly residential and and the station will be right in be nestled btween the RR tracks and Orange Ave directly across the street from Cypress Creek High School. It will also be in walking distance for many neighborhoods around the station, +++.
I'm wondering what future construction projects will fill in the area...

alex7677 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #17
jzquince69
jimmy

for the Maitland station, I would have preferred it be at the Village at Lake Lilly development where Lake Ave. intersects with it. Downtown Eatonville is a few blocks west of there. There's really nothing immediately surrounding the propsed site at the foot of the 414/Maitland Blvd. & 17/92 ramp. But they want that location for busses to take advantage of the access to Maitland Center ala the ramp. One block to the west is the Maitland Ave. corridor. If they can link the station with that street somehow with a sidewalk or drive-up road, that would be sweet.

actually, at that point, Maitland blvd. is about 2-3 blocks away and there's a neighborhood behind there...
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #18
jzquince69
jimmy

The Osceola Parkway station will actually border the WalMart Plaza parking lot to the west and is part of a larger project study for a major mixed use development. Too bad those tracks didn't border the Loop & Loop West, which is 2 miles west of there.

The Altamonte Springs exit is actually on 436 just north of RTG Outlet and the Circuit City Plaza, just east of the Maitland Ave. intersection by a couple of blocks. That is not a bad location. Uptown Altamonte would have been better, but, as they say, not every day is a Sunday.

Old December 12th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #19
Dale

Quote:
The Osceola Parkway station will actually border the WalMart Plaza parking lot to the west and is part of a larger project study for a major mixed use development. Too bad those tracks didn't border the Loop & Loop West, which is 2 miles west of there.

The Altamonte Springs exit is actually on 436 just north of RTG Outlet and the Circuit City Plaza, just east of the Maitland Ave. intersection by a couple of blocks. That is not a bad location. Uptown Altamonte would have been better, but, as they say, not every day is a Sunday.
But isn't that basically the historic center of Altamonte Springs ?

Old December 12th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #20
SkyDiveJunkee

Quote:

Doesn't the Osceola Parkway station have a park and ride option? That'll be the major use of it, I suspect. Truth is though that a lot of the residents in that area (Buenaventura Lakes) work in the service industry. Trains getting them out to Disney and Universal would be likely more used than a commuter train downtown.