daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles

Los Angeles » Development News | Transportation | Greater L.A. Area

Old December 11th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #1
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 121

Let's distinguish the difference between "Los Angeles" and "California"

Who here is also annoyed by people calling Los Angeles "California"?

I, for one, really hate it when people say things like "Why is it raining in California?, It's suppose to be sunny!" and "Is California dangerous to live in?"

Los Angeles is just a pin point ( a really fat pin ) in the state of California! The state stretches for 770 miles and is 250 miles wide at its widest so California DOES have weather- Los Angeles, not too much.

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 11th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #2
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 47

It annoys the HELL out of me as well.
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #3
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 322

Los Angeles is a city and California is a state- although eastern media pronounce Los Angeles ka-lə-ˈfȯr-nyə

Last edited by nygirl; December 12th, 2009 at 04:36 PM.
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Kenni
Super Mod

lol Think how San Diego feels that when referring to "Southern California",...everyone means LOS ANGELES.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #5
VZN
Caleuphoria

Likes (Received): 2

Well, to add on to the complaints...

I hate when people call it "Cali". I hate it even more when you have people from L.A./other parts of California who call it "Cali". It sounds like some old poser lingo.

I also hate when people come here they expect to see celebrities just out and about. Case in point when I took some out of towners on tour of L.A. last year. (thread is somewhere around here...) They kept bugging me on where celebrities were and I'm just like

I also hate it when those same out of towners think they can get shot anywhere in L.A. at any given moment and then make snide ass remarks about it during the same trip.

I also hate it again when those same out of towners keep trying to downplay L.A.'s cultural relevance on the world stage by attempting to discredit it.

I also hate it when... well, nevermind. California might as well be the middle of nowhere to some people.
VZN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZN View Post
Well, to add on to the complaints...

I hate when people call it "Cali". I hate it even more when you have people from L.A./other parts of California who call it "Cali". It sounds like some old poser lingo.

I also hate when people come here they expect to see celebrities just out and about. Case in point when I took some out of towners on tour of L.A. last year. (thread is somewhere around here...) They kept bugging me on where celebrities were and I'm just like

I also hate it when those same out of towners think they can get shot anywhere in L.A. at any given moment and then make snide ass remarks about it during the same trip.

I also hate it again when those same out of towners keep trying to downplay L.A.'s cultural relevance on the world stage by attempting to discredit it.

I also hate it when... well, nevermind. California might as well be the middle of nowhere to some people.
Oh my god you sound like you know my sister's boyfriend's mother.

She came to visit earlier this week and she thought that celebrities hang out on Hollywood blvd. She would want to go there to try to spot them.

And! And! We were at a gas station and her son went into a store to get a receipt and some black guys went in and she was all breathing hard and hesitating and my sister was like "whats wrong" and she said "this area is safe right?" ( This was in downtown Burbank ) and i said "no, not really... those guys are probably gonna rob and shoot your son down." and she got out of her car to reassure herself while in a panic. AND! AND! Later we saw the same guys going into some restaurant in The Grove ( one of the expensive one )- But to be fair she came from central Washington.

She is the reason why I started this thread. She was down here on Monday when it was raining and she called her husband back home and chatted and one thing that came out of her mouth was "Yeah! It's raining in California!... that's right, just like how it does back home."

Old December 11th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #7
VZN
Caleuphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Ending View Post
Oh my god you sound like you know my sister's boyfriend's mother.

She came to visit earlier this week and she thought that celebrities hang out on Hollywood blvd. She would want to go there to try to spot them.

And! And! We were at a gas station and her son went into a store to get a receipt and some black guys went in and she was all breathing hard and hesitating and my sister was like "whats wrong" and she said "this area is safe right?" ( This was in downtown Burbank ) and i said "no, not really... those guys are probably gonna rob and shoot your son down." and she got out of her car to reassure herself while in a panic. AND! AND! Later we saw the same guys going into some restaurant in The Grove ( one of the expensive one )- But to be fair she came from central Washington.

She is the reason why I started this thread. She was down here on Monday when it was raining and she called her husband back home and chatted and one thing that came out of her mouth was "Yeah! It's raining in California!... that's right, just like how it does back home."
LOL, good lord. I know you had fun with that. It's real head-numbing, isn't it?

One thing I will say though... it's like L.A. and California tends to mystify certain people because they come here with a list of expectations.
Old December 12th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #8
yamota
Chairman of the Bored

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Ending View Post

A lot of parts in LA would look very dangerous to someone who hasn't lived in LA his or her whole life. I remember the first time I went to Hollywood like 25 years ago, I had a friend who lived around that area and we went down to Hollywood boulevard at night and there were all these weird, spaced out criminal types walking around and I was like "Dude, are you sure wer'e okay here?" and he was like "Sure it's okay, I live around here! Just don't go down to sunset, it gets kinda iffy there..."
yamota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #9
pablobien!
El Andariego.

Likes (Received): 256

So.... dont you hate when ppl say america instead of USA???

The word "America" is coming from a man named Americo Vespucio from Spain, who made the first map of this continent, so America goes from Canada to Argentina... and they say America refering just to USA.

Grettings to everyone!
pablobien! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #10
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Well unlike Peru or Venezuela or any country on the American continents, United States of America has "America" in it's name. So it's not too "unfair" or far off to call U.S.A. "America"

Old December 12th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #11
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 153

I hate it when people say "I'm in LA" when they are in Montebello or Whittier.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Kenni
Super Mod

I don't. Most use it with out of towners who don't know where Montebello, Downey, Pico Rivera or Cerritos is.

Even Orange County say, "L.A."

More props to us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablobien! View Post

The word "America" is coming from a man named Americo Vespucio from Spain, who made the first map of this continent, so America goes from Canada to Argentina... and they say America refering just to USA.

Grettings to everyone!
Americo Vespucci was an Italian cartographer, not spanish.

I had that discussion about why so much resentment about the US referring to itself as "America". It's not even a issue here. United States of America,....wouldn't it be funny if we said "I'm a united statesman"?
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #13
klamedia
Silver Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
I don't. Most use it with out of towners who don't know where Montebello, Downey, Pico Rivera or Cerritos is.

Even Orange County say, "L.A."

More props to us!

Americo Vespucci was an Italian cartographer, not spanish.

I had that discussion about why so much resentment about the US referring to itself as "America". It's not even a issue here. United States of America,....wouldn't it be funny if we said "I'm a united statesman"?
I don't like it because folks in LA County liberally say that they are in LA when they are not in the city. When I first moved here it would really annoy me that people would lump together Pasadena, El Segundo, Torrance, Long Beach, Huntington Beach! and San Bernadino as "LA". It still annoys me.
Old December 12th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #14
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 322

I punch people who say they're "Beverly Hills Adjacent!"
And! And! One time when I was renting a video at a Blockbuster on Van Nuys and Sherman Way at night (holy shit, I was young) and I tucked it into my jacket so no one would see it outside and the Manager came after me with "HEY!"
He's Black (Oh no) and he drags me by the arm back into the store because he saw me put the video in my jacket.
So, he goes "Hey! Anybody ring this guy up?"
And! And! This one guy said "Yes" and he's all "oh.." and leaves me hanging.
So you know what I did in front of his co-workers?
Jujubees were flyin' everywhere 'cause I KICKED HIS ASS! Yams saw it, he was there ...
No I didn't.
But I wanted to, and that's what counts.
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #15
CITYofDREAMS
The Place

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablobien! View Post

Grettings to everyone!
Edit.

Last edited by CITYofDREAMS; December 12th, 2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: already explained by other forumers
CITYofDREAMS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #16
JRinSoCal

Likes (Received): 5

Here in Orange County I've never heard any resident refer to OC as LA. Many OC residents are terrified of LA and want nothing to do with it. I've heard grown men say "I won't go past Long Beach, that's suicide". PUSSIES!!!

Out-of-towners, however, do refer to most of southern California as LA.
JRinSoCal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #17
klamedia
Silver Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
[B][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]And! And! One time when I was renting a video at a Blockbuster
[LEFT]He's Black (Oh no) and he drags me by the arm back into the store because he saw me put the video in my jacket.

"Milq" you're just a misunderstood genius.
Old December 12th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #18
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia View Post
I hate it when people say "I'm in LA" when they are in Montebello or Whittier.
Yet you don't take issue when someone puts West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Culver City, Santa Monica, etc. under the umbrella of "LA"?

And, yeah, I've never encountered anyone who referred to the OC as "LA". Thank God.
Old December 12th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #19
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 19

People who don't live in California are really annoying to us Californians.

I kid you not, I was in Boston a few years ago, and I decided to wear my Padres cap. Now, this hat clearly says on the bill San Diego Padres. At a street vendor, he asks me,"So, you're from LA?"

California is diverse, and it's not just one city. I swear, it's like people forget about San Francisco, San Diego, San Jose, and Sacramento. I even met a guy once, a foreign exchange student from China. He asked me if we'd ever visit Los Angeles to see the State Capitol.

EDIT: I'm aware I probably have no right to be here, given this is the LA Forum and I'm just a NorCal guy.
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #20
VZN
Caleuphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
People who don't live in California are really annoying to us Californians.

I kid you not, I was in Boston a few years ago, and I decided to wear my Padres cap. Now, this hat clearly says on the bill San Diego Padres. At a street vendor, he asks me,"So, you're from LA?"

California is diverse, and it's not just one city. I swear, it's like people forget about San Francisco, San Diego, San Jose, and Sacramento. I even met a guy once, a foreign exchange student from China. He asked me if we'd ever visit Los Angeles to see the State Capitol.

EDIT: I'm aware I probably have no right to be here, given this is the LA Forum and I'm just a NorCal guy.
You're from California, you count too.