daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 06:23 PM   #2241
entazis

Likes (Received): 93690

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRouchell View Post
I am an architect. I am not familiar with many of the Asian traditional styles that I see on this thread, so I am unable to intelligently comment on those projects. I am most familiar with classical architecture and most styles of western architecture.

Classical architecture is derived from the use of the 5 classical orders. Classical buildings need to be detailed properly. By that, I mean that if the classical orders are to be expressed or represented in any way, then their detailing and all the components that comprise that order need to be present and properly proportioned. Also, classical buildings need to be designed so that the entire composition, and the composition of each individual part is properly proportioned. Proper detailing also means that certain elements must be aligned such as the face of the entablature with the face of the pilaster/columns, and such as the plinth of the columns/pilasters with the face of the pedestal below, otherwise the columns and other supporting elements appear to be incapable of their structural capabilities. Similarly, arched openings need a large amount of structure near the building's corner to resist the lateral thrust. It's not an issue when two or more arches are adjacent to each other because the lateral thrust of one arch cancels out the thrust of the adjacent arch. Therefore, it looks structurally weak to place an arched opening near a corner.

More info on classical architecture can be found here: http://www.icaahandbook.com/#!chapters/c10d6

and here: http://www.icaahandbook.com/#!plates/cee9
Sorry, but You have already shown these links before.

This is a summary of the treatises of Vitruvius ' first century BC, and theorist of the Renaissance - Vignola. Yes, this is the tutorial for beginners architects, but it does not cover all of European classical styles. This is a narrow view. Romanesque and Byzantine styles, Gothic is also European styles. These styles are based on other principles of tectonics. After the Renaissance took place in Europe Mannerism, Baroque.., Historicism of the 19th century, though based on the order, but did not meet the strict proportion of Vitruvius and Vignola, too. These were developed by other laws. All above-mentioned European styles are also European classics. Originated in Europe Art Nouveau today is also considered a classic. In General classics today can be considered all historical styles.

Architecture lover liked this post
entazis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2014, 06:58 PM   #2242
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12700

Ric˛ Fornovo Taro (PR) - Housing Complex "Viola, Italy - Built 1996

http://www.andreapacciani.com/websit...d=69&Itemid=56
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:03 PM   #2243
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Spagnano di Fornovo Taro (PR) - Complesso abitativo Arca, Italy - Built 1998

Source: http://www.andreapacciani.com/websit...d=63&Itemid=56
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:06 PM   #2244
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

For those of you are looking to study classical architecture, also consider Andrews University.

An example of student work.
http://www.andrews.edu/saad/architecture/work/
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:09 PM   #2245
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1331

Edit.

CNB30 liked this post

Last edited by Architecture lover; April 3rd, 2014 at 09:23 PM.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:03 AM   #2246
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Likes (Received): 1174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
I am not an architect yet, for now just an architecture lover. Anyway I can shаre my opinion about those issues if you want. I don't really appreciate building new buildings in traditional style, because it seem a little bit disrespectful for me, now we have beautiful styles and it's such a shame that many peoples aren't valuing them enough. That doesn't mean that we need to turn our back to the classic architecture and let her there in the history. Not at all, but building it once again with such a mistakes it's also very disappointing and very disrespectful. So if the building doesn't have much miserable errors like many of the examples around here I don't make a big problem we'll just put the word "revival" right next to the so loved architectural style and that's it. I ain't making much problems if the new building is in complete recreations of the past styles which means that the building respects that kind of architectural style.
But about building new buildings in new interpretations of the past styles I can say one huge: NO! They don't look good at all, they are pretty much confused, I mean how is it even possible to put reflective glass (it creates some 80's look) right next to some Doric, Ionic or Corinthian order and to think that it looks good and it fits good. They look pretty cheap and not historical at all.
At the end I can make a conclusion that it is not that bad to build new buildings in older styles (before a couple of weeks I saw one beautiful Art Deco bridge somewhere in America, also there are some proposed skyscrapers for New York City in Art Deco style, they all look pretty good, maybe not that good on the renderings, but with a nice use of materials I am sure they will get the impression of an old style New York building), but I don't really appreciate when someone builds something tasteless and disrespectful in so many aspects. I would be happy to see new buildings in traditional style but only if they truly respect the historical architectural style.
You misunderstood me. By "new buildings in new interpretations of past styles" I meant buildings in old styles, but with some tasteful touches that make them original and not pure copies of the past ... somehow in the same way neo-classicism is a new interpretation of classicism and neo-gothic is a new interpretation of gothic architecture. I definitely don't support the kitsch that you've described (reflective glass etc.) and that is definitely not what I meant by "new interpretation" because it isn't a new interpretation. It is just kitsch.
BE0GRAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:25 AM   #2247
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Likes (Received): 1174

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRouchell View Post
I am an architect. I am not familiar with many of the Asian traditional styles that I see on this thread, so I am unable to intelligently comment on those projects. I am most familiar with classical architecture and most styles of western architecture.

Classical architecture is derived from the use of the 5 classical orders. Classical buildings need to be detailed properly. By that, I mean that if the classical orders are to be expressed or represented in any way, then their detailing and all the components that comprise that order need to be present and properly proportioned. Also, classical buildings need to be designed so that the entire composition, and the composition of each individual part is properly proportioned. Proper detailing also means that certain elements must be aligned such as the face of the entablature with the face of the pilaster/columns, and such as the plinth of the columns/pilasters with the face of the pedestal below, otherwise the columns and other supporting elements appear to be incapable of their structural capabilities. Similarly, arched openings need a large amount of structure near the building's corner to resist the lateral thrust. It's not an issue when two or more arches are adjacent to each other because the lateral thrust of one arch cancels out the thrust of the adjacent arch. Therefore, it looks structurally weak to place an arched opening near a corner.

More info on classical architecture can be found here: http://www.icaahandbook.com/#!chapters/c10d6

and here: http://www.icaahandbook.com/#!plates/cee9
Thanks for this.
BE0GRAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 02:00 AM   #2248
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

The Greene Town Center - Beavercreek, Ohio (Built 2008)

Source: http://www.tortigallas.com/project.asp?p=188795

CNB30, alexandru.mircea, CF221 liked this post
Old February 3rd, 2014, 02:57 AM   #2249
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1331

Edit.

Last edited by Architecture lover; April 3rd, 2014 at 09:23 PM.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 05:26 PM   #2250
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Portner's Landing- Alexandria, Virginia

Source: http://www.tortigallas.com/project.asp?p=50193

VITORIA MAN liked this post
Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:19 PM   #2251
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Paul Cushman III International Financial Center RIGGS BANK, DuPont Circle - Washington, DC (Built 2002)

Source: http://www.j-b-a.com/archt/PAGES/Arch-Projects-p1.htm
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ial_Center.JPG
Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:57 PM   #2252
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

The Bishop's Table - Maysville, Kentucky

Source: http://www.stroik.com/portfolio/the-bishops-table/
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:18 PM   #2253
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

From Marathaman:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathaman View Post
Digambar Jain Temple u/c at Ramtek, MH

link

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...944848&page=18
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:18 PM   #2254
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathaman View Post
Shri Kotada Roha, Kutch, GJ

link

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...944848&page=18
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:33 PM   #2255
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Really nice one, look at the neo-italian columns and detailing.

The entrace is pretty inviting and urban.

AnOldBlackMarble liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:47 PM   #2256
The-s

Likes (Received): 6412

That color is Ew !
The-s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:55 PM   #2257
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Really nice one, look at the neo-italian columns and detailing.

The entrace is pretty inviting and urban.
If you're going to approach this thread with sarcastic criticism, at least make an an effort to be a little less obvious. Your feign stupidity of kitsch doesn't work here and you won't receive the rile you are seeking.

Not all examples in this thread are purported to be great, but they are an attempt - an honest attempt. And we are learning as we go along.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:10 PM   #2258
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

How about this one? Nice neoclassical shape

I like the Greek inspiration of this:
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:13 PM   #2259
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

Oh NO NO please NO oops too late.

I am officially blind now. Thank you all.

BringMe liked this post
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:28 PM   #2260
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Edit

Last edited by Hed_Kandi; May 11th, 2017 at 05:40 PM.

Tags
classic architecture, neo-urban plan, new urbanism, stipson