daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #421
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12205

Wow.. that was a disgusting trip down Racism Lane. I have deleted all the crap and will be HAPPY to give out automatic infractions to ANYONE who continues to equate race with this discussion of architecture. KEEP IT ON TOPIC please.

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #422
MRouchell
MRouchell

Likes (Received): 235

I would like to know more about this building. Where is it? What is it? Who designed it? etc.
MRouchell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #423
MRouchell
MRouchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF221 View Post

A most beautiful building! I'm sure the architects enjoyed designing such a jewel.
I would like to know more about this building. Where is it? What is it? Who designed it? etc.
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #424
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRouchell View Post
Only thing I know as per the response of the original poster of the picture is that it is located in St. Petersburg and is a fresh contruction.
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #425
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 19707

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
Now, other cities I can agree with you somewhat. But keep in mind, it's not like commieblocks are Chinese architecture and they're everywhere. Almost every style of building is an "import.". So why apply a stricter standard to Asia than the rest of the world? There's far more European influence and heritage than you think, real European architecture in tons of random cities all around East Asia.
but if they want to use this european style because they have an european past, they should adapt the buildings with a modern disign, not just do it as if we were in 1900, because we are in 2012

Architecture is not just a trend, they should apply all the technology and knowing that humanity has developed in the past 100 years.

Well, it is just my opinion
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:00 AM   #426
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6882

So you are against all the buildings in the thread? My philosophy is that if it looks good I like it, and traditional style buildings are usually better for creating human scaled urban environments.
BarbaricManchurian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:02 AM   #427
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6882

And I'm sure all of the buildings are modern (meaning technology, not style) on the inside. Hell, most historical buildings have been modernized, and the exterior style has no relation to how modern the interior is.
BarbaricManchurian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #428
Geography

Likes (Received): 103

The administration building on Woody Island (aka Yongxing Island by the Chinese). It houses the city government of the new Sansha city. It contrasts from the other buildings on the island which are built in typical, terrible modern style. The administration building uses classical style to reinforce China's claim to the Paracel Islands. Classical architecture invokes feelings of stability and longevity, which is exactly what China wants to promote regards to its claim of the Paracel Islands.

Here's the administration building.

And here is what I think is a bank, or maybe a supermarket on the island. It shows how unique the administration building is compared to other nearby buildings. Clearly some thought went into how the administration building would be viewed by others.
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #429
JoseRodolfo
NON DVCOR DVCO

Likes (Received): 91

I´m sorry, but both buildings look terribly bad.
JoseRodolfo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #430
gdlrar

Likes (Received): 1403

i agree... i like the traditional architecture in new buildings and reconstructions of old heritage.. but this don't have the right scale, symmetry, balance.. all fundamentals of design.. looks very fake
gdlrar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #431
JoseRodolfo
NON DVCOR DVCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdlrar View Post
i agree... i like the traditional architecture in new buildings and reconstructions of old heritage.. but this don't have the right scale, symmetry, balance.. all fundamentals of design.. looks very fake
Exactly.
Old August 13th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #432
Geography

Likes (Received): 103

I agree it looks tacky but you're missing my point. The decision to attempt classical architecture with that dome and those columns was an overt use of classical architecture's implied values of stability and longevity.
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #433
JoseRodolfo
NON DVCOR DVCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
I agree it looks tacky but you're missing my point. The decision to attempt classical architecture with that dome and those columns was an overt use of classical architecture's implied values of stability and longevity.

No, I´m not missing that point. And a tacky architecture could fail on trasmiting these values. Maybe some good new architecture, well built, would get to this point in a better way.
And I see another problem. Since it´s in China, it could be more interesting if they tried to reproduce some tradicional chinese architecture to achieve these values. I see an overvaluation of ocidental traditional architecture is this case and in many other in chinese cities. But, fortunately we know that this country also believe in inovation on architecture, building great new stuff. Talking about my country, we can see Brasilia, a whole new city with new and modern monumental architecture that also evokes those values and today it´s even an Unesco World Heritage site.
Old August 13th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #434
Neungz

Likes (Received): 2859

Siam Nakarin Department store, Hat Yai City, Thailand

credit on the pictures

Neungz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #435
MRouchell
MRouchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
The administration building on Woody Island (aka Yongxing Island by the Chinese). It houses the city government of the new Sansha city. It contrasts from the other buildings on the island which are built in typical, terrible modern style. The administration building uses classical style to reinforce China's claim to the Paracel Islands. Classical architecture invokes feelings of stability and longevity, which is exactly what China wants to promote regards to its claim of the Paracel Islands.

Here's the administration building.

And here is what I think is a bank, or maybe a supermarket on the island. It shows how unique the administration building is compared to other nearby buildings. Clearly some thought went into how the administration building would be viewed by others.
Good attempt at classical architecture, but unfortunately the details are not correct, particularly the entablature and the way it extends slightly past each of the columns on each end. I don't blame the architect for this; I blame the architecture schools that have discontinued the classical design education, creating a lost generation of architects incompetent in classical design.

barquis, Pod° liked this post
Old August 14th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #436
MRouchell
MRouchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neungz View Post
Siam Nakarin Department store, Hat Yai City, Thailand

credit on the pictures

This is a good attempt at classical architecture, but unfortunately, the details are not correct. This is because architecture schools have discontinued teaching classical design creating a lost generation of architects that are incompetent at classical architecture.
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #437
Leugom

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRouchell View Post
This is a good attempt at classical architecture, but unfortunately, the details are not correct. This is because architecture schools have discontinued teaching classical design creating a lost generation of architects that are incompetent at classical architecture.
My question to all architects out there is: Is ignorance really the cause? I mean... it is not that hard to analyze and emulate proportions and details of already existing classical buildings (even more easy should be for architects who are used to studying perspective and all those compulsory arch-school subjects). I would like to think it is not so... maybe it is lack of budget? perhaps they are so affraid to go back to the past that instead of following the design rules to the letter they puposely make these kind of "interpretations"? or maybe they just have bad taste... in any case it is really sad to see
Leugom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #438
gdlrar

Likes (Received): 1403

Because its more easy than reinterpretation of classical design with all ornate and exquisite decorations
gdlrar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #439
WalPaulista
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

The Siam Nakarin Department store building is great except for some applied decoration that doesn´t look very integrated to the building.

Asians are doing better than countries of European descent but who despise beautiful architecture.

On the comment about the "racism lane", I don´t find it that serious. People are different and being afraid of talking about the differences is the real racism.
WalPaulista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #440
Leugom

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdlrar View Post
Because its more easy than reinterpretation of classical design with all ornate and exquisite decorations
But the decorations are already there! they are just the wrong sizes, in the wrong places. Look at the Siam Nakarin Department store. All those golden moldures, butchered corintian columns and overnumbered modillons, they are there but they don't look good. I bet any architect could design a more elgant building in classical style with half the details and better proportions than what's shown there.

Take this reconstruction (from Leipzig - Revitalization of Germanys Gründerzeit capital). Very sober design+perfect proportions (at least in the detailing) = Beautiful

stadtbild-deutschland.org

Over the top detailing+wrong proportions= tacky

Last edited by Leugom; August 14th, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Leugom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, neo-urban plan, new urbanism, stipson