daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #441
joezierer

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalPaulista View Post
Asians are doing better than countries of European descent but who despise beautiful architecture.
Stop.
joezierer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #442
Bez_imena
Kosovo is Serbia!

Likes (Received): 3786

Macedonia, Skopje...

image hosted on flickr

Hed_Kandi liked this post
Bez_imena está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #443
L e o n i d a s

Likes (Received): 43

I think most of the members of this forum could draw a better proportionate building than 70% of the buildings shown in this topic. Man what has gone wrong with architecture studies. Is there no eye for aestethics anymore?

This looks really amateur, it's like they asked a random local to decide how the facades should look. It's so sad to witness such a pathetic architectural confusion. I rather see a decent, confident modern building, than these doubtful attempts at something that seems to be out of reach for the architect.

bloody bat, barquis liked this post
L e o n i d a s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #444
MRouchell
MRouchell

Likes (Received): 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by L e o n i d a s View Post
I think most of the members of this forum could draw a better proportionate building than 70% of the buildings shown in this topic. Man what has gone wrong with architecture studies. Is there no eye for aestethics anymore?

This looks really amateur, it's like they asked a random local to decide how the facades should look. It's so sad to witness such a pathetic architectural confusion. I rather see a decent, confident modern building, than these doubtful attempts at something that seems to be out of reach for the architect.
I agree. It is unfortunate that architecture shools quit teaching traditional design, causing a generational gap in the education and training. This is the result!! Architects are now trying to learn classical architecture on their own, and most are producing this type of stuff.

bloody bat, barquis liked this post
MRouchell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:13 AM   #445
gdlrar

Likes (Received): 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leugom View Post
But the decorations are already there! they are just the wrong sizes, in the wrong places. Look at the Siam Nakarin Department store. All those golden moldures, butchered corintian columns and overnumbered modillons, they are there but they don't look good. I bet any architect could design a more elgant building in classical style with half the details and better proportions than what's shown there.

Take this reconstruction (from Leipzig - Revitalization of Germanys Gründerzeit capital). Very sober design+perfect proportions (at least in the detailing) = Beautiful

Over the top detailing+wrong proportions= tacky

I agree, Leipzig its a good example of very smart reinterpretation, not copy not looks fake, to integrate an ornament must have full knowledge what are the basics and classic design that not only applies in architecture. the New architects are afraid to fall in bad taste, but is much easier from a point set in contemporary architecture, a glass box, to use the aesthetic elements containing beautiful classic architecture, even play with them, creating something beautiful and eclectic. should not be a copy but a reinterpretation.
gdlrar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #446
Leugom

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdlrar View Post
the New architects are afraid to fall in bad taste
That might be true... but then, why do they do it? take those newly posted buildings from Macedonia... guess that architect confronted his fears, because his buildings turned out as tasteless as they come. Architects either don't design classical architecture, or go out of their way to make their "reinterpretations" as disgusting as possible.
Leugom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #447
gdlrar

That's subjective, the buildings in Macedonia are nice but lack of a total order. A good example is the building of St. Petersburg; its beautiful, cumple su simetria, orden, volumen etc..

I repeat the new architects are afraid to fall in bad taste, and i mean old and new school have a severe trauma to the Bauhaus, and what Mies van der Rohe said "less is more" but he also said ·God is in the details" the details may have ornament, and good use of new materials using ancient techniques. so not only will listen to what suits them whether they will use the foundation of functionalism and minimalism.

The point is not reinterpret copy is to use the concept, twist it, smash it, then create a good work of art.
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #448
Leugom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdlrar View Post
That's subjective, the buildings in Macedonia are nice but lack of a total order. A good example is the building of St. Petersburg; its beautiful, cumple su simetria, orden, volumen etc..

I repeat the new architects are afraid to fall in bad taste, and i mean old and new school have a severe trauma to the Bauhaus, and what Mies van der Rohe said "less is more" but he also said ·God is in the details" the details may have ornament, and good use of new materials using ancient techniques. so not only will listen to what suits them whether they will use the foundation of functionalism and minimalism.

The point is not reinterpret copy is to use the concept, twist it, smash it, then create a good work of art.
I completely agree... but go tell that to the architects!

Here's a great example (IMO) of a great "reinterpretation" of the orders. The Palladium in Indiana:

It's not a copy of any ancient style, it even has a leaning for art deco, without totally dismissing classical style. And yet, its elements are all in proportion; everything is simple and understated, but with great craftmanschip and attention to detail. That's what architects should be trying to achieve.

Hed_Kandi, Pod° liked this post
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #449
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 839

This is an interesting thread, I was wondering, is that Greek writing on this building? Doesn't Marcedonia(n) use the cyrillic alphabet?
Batavier está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #450
Битола

Likes (Received): 6

It's Macedonian Cyrillic: Археолошки Музеј на Македонија = Archaeological Museum of Macedonia.
Битола no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #451
WalPaulista
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Agree with Leonidas
WalPaulista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #452
WalPaulista
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

joezierer

Are you a moderator?
WalPaulista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #453
gdlrar

Quote:
I completely agree... but go tell that to the architects!

Here's a great example (IMO) of a great "reinterpretation" of the orders. The Palladium in Indiana:

It's not a copy of any ancient style, it even has a leaning for art deco, without totally dismissing classical style. And yet, its elements are all in proportion; everything is simple and understated, but with great craftmanschip and attention to detail. That's what architects should be trying to achieve.
Very nice example that is what must be done
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #454
MRouchell
MRouchell

Here is a good video found on Youtube showing good examples of recently built traditional buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4FwNqrHvak&feature=player_embedded
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #455
SoroushPersepolisi

Likes (Received): 5149

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRouchell View Post
I agree. It is unfortunate that architecture shools quit teaching traditional design, causing a generational gap in the education and training. This is the result!! Architects are now trying to learn classical architecture on their own, and most are producing this type of stuff.
exactly
what i dont understand is that dont these architects themselves realize how ugly what they build looks? lol

if its hard for them to design them by themselves, they can just take proportions and similar designs off already existing buildings
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #456
sergionni

Likes (Received): 505

Quote:
That might be true... but then, why do they do it? take those newly posted buildings from Macedonia... guess that architect confronted his fears, because his buildings turned out as tasteless as they come. Architects either don't design classical architecture, or go out of their way to make their "reinterpretations" as disgusting as possible.
exactly, that architecture in skoplje looks as ultimate kitsch, and everyone who is somehow professionally related to architecture will confirm that, i guess only so called macedonia experts think that they are growing beautiful architecture there. do they live on some isolated island? it is real shame that they didnt reconstruct some old buildings as they really were, instead of desinging this catastrophic new buildings...
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #457
kynastonlaird
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I have seen all pictures of Thomas Aquinas in Santa Paula, California, Kiev, Ukraine buildings, Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, Shahdin Manzil, Lahore, Pakistan and many more. According to me this all historic architecture building and temples are made by very hard working workers and also architectures. This all post are very useful for people who are doing interest in historical places.
kynastonlaird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #458
MRouchell
MRouchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoroushPersepolisi View Post
exactly
what i dont understand is that dont these architects themselves realize how ugly what they build looks? lol

if its hard for them to design them by themselves, they can just take proportions and similar designs off already existing buildings
It is hard to say whether they can tell how ugly the designs are or not. Without the proper education they struggle getting the design right, never getting close. At some point the production of the drawings must move forward and construction must begin. With the proper education it becomes much easier to design traditional buildings. An entablature, for example, which is the main spanning element that spans across the columns and includes the cornice, is usually 1/4 the height of the columns. In some of these examples it is obviously much bigger. The entablature is divided into 3 components, architrave, frieze and cornice, each of which also has their own individual components. When an architect varies from this, the result is what we see here, a kind of caricature of a traditional building, not a real traditional building. The analogy of a building's entablature to a human face can be made, therefore it is very much like comparing a cartoon character's face and facial features with a real human face. We know human faces very well, so it is easy to recognize that an eye is much more than a large white circle with a small off center black circle within. Without the education, architects don't recognize the regular components that are suppose to be present in there designs, so they don't know to include them.
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #459
Leugom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRouchell View Post
It is hard to say whether they can tell how ugly the designs are or not. Without the proper education they struggle getting the design right, never getting close. At some point the production of the drawings must move forward and construction must begin. With the proper education it becomes much easier to design traditional buildings. An entablature, for example, which is the main spanning element that spans across the columns and includes the cornice, is usually 1/4 the height of the columns. In some of these examples it is obviously much bigger. The entablature is divided into 3 components, architrave, frieze and cornice, each of which also has their own individual components. When an architect varies from this, the result is what we see here, a kind of caricature of a traditional building, not a real traditional building. The analogy of a building's entablature to a human face can be made, therefore it is very much like comparing a cartoon character's face and facial features with a real human face. We know human faces very well, so it is easy to recognize that an eye is much more than a large white circle with a small off center black circle within. Without the education, architects don't recognize the regular components that are suppose to be present in there designs, so they don't know to include them.
I'm sure architects know these things, IT'S ON FREAKIN' WIKIPEDIA! there's absolutely no excuse for them to design so badly. Even if they don't see at least a bit of this subject in architecture school (which I'm almost sure they do), it's no rocket science to find out about it....

Last edited by Leugom; August 18th, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old August 19th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #460
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1462

Hancock Center, Marist College - Poughkeepsie, New York - 2011

http://wiltondiaries.blogspot.com/2011/10/marist-college.html

http://collegeboundmentorblog.com/marist/
in darkness." - Confessions (Book IV), Augustine of Hippo

"Laws are made for these reasons: that human wickedness
may be restrained through fear of their execution; that the
lives of innocent men may be safe among criminals; and
that the temptation to commit wrong may be restrained by
the fear of punishment." - The Visigothic Code (Book I, Title II, Part V)

Hed_Kandi, Pod° liked this post
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, neo-urban plan, new urbanism, stipson