daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2015, 09:27 AM   #6101
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by doguorsi2 View Post
That canopy thing is a traditional Turkish element based upon the local architecture. There will be some sort of pediment or canopy but I havent started the roof part structure so it is yet to be determined. I will update as it develops.
The problem is, that the rest of the structure is very french in its desing, and for that reason the canopy loks totaly out of pace and more important, totaly out of scale.

Is the building situated at a streetcorner? If so, you should try to shape a tower at the corner roof section. You could extend pilaster with two pillars, join them with an arch or gable and cover that with a dome.

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Tolbert; August 11th, 2015 at 09:44 AM.
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #6102
Tolbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
If I may humbly offer one suggestion. Please be sure that the project utilizes traditional mouth blown window glass rather than the modern float glass.

If you're unfamiliar with this, I'd recommend to spend some time doing research.

http://www.restorationglass.com/anti...ndow-glass.cfm

Hed Kandi, float glass is typical for buildings in late 19th and early 20th century. And as this building steps in these design lineage, it is pretty much recommed to use typical float glass for the windows. Mouth blown glas would fit if its a timber frame, building, or something that uses mediaval building stile, but its not.
What should be prevented is the use of high reflecting glas, that is often used on "neo" traditional desings and ruins everything.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 11th, 2015, 11:13 AM   #6103
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbert View Post
The problem is, that the rest of the structure is very french in its desing, and for that reason the canopy loks totaly out of pace and more important, totaly out of scale.

Is the building situated at a streetcorner? If so, you should try to shape a tower at the corner roof section. You could extend pilaster with two pillars, join them with an arch or gable and cover that with a dome.
I was aiming for more East Mediterranean-Levant rather than French. Good to know I still need to work on it.

Secondly I did not start the roof structure yet. There will be a whole bunch of stuff added to it. Also there will be a contemporary roof top lounge. The form of the building is triangle. Only 2 sides face streets. Both sides will be identical. It will be easier to discuss once the facade is completed.

Zaz965 liked this post
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 11:34 AM   #6104
Tolbert

Quote:
I was aiming for more East Mediterranean-Levant rather than French. Good to know I still need to work on it.
There is not much difference between eastern mediterranain and western mediterrenian late 19th century desings. If you take a look at Baku, Istanbul or Thesaloniki you'll see what i mean. The Buildings of this period in eastern mediterenaean mostly borrow from french, spanish and italian expressions of traditionalist stiles. The only exception is Neobyzantine stile, which you find way more often in eastern mediterranian than in the west, especially on civil architecture. I said it looks french because you used red brick and someting that loked like white limestone for materials and of course your details, window framing etc. Your building could easily fit the french or italian riviera and wouldnt even stick out (in a good way) but it could also fit into spain or anywhere else on the southern coastline of europe.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 11th, 2015, 12:06 PM   #6105
doguorsi2
BANNED

I do appreciate your words, Tolbert. I used brick and limestone because they are the local building materials in Eskisehir therefore much cheaper and easier to find. I am from Istanbul and as far as I know, starting from the late 18th century, Ottoman families of Italian, Armenian and Greek(i am one of these) descent mostly operated in the construction industry. So yes you are right however, even though the Turkish architecture of that era is mostly European, there is that small tint of orient that I am trying to capture. Even though the design patterns of that era is very similar all across the southern Europe, there still that distinctive charecter of design in Istanbul which makes the city somewhat different compared to other southern European cities. The ones who have been to Istanbul probably have realized the fact that there is that orient feel even in the Beyoglu district which was built in late 18th century by the Levant architects of the western European descents.

BTW dont even get me started on Baku. Everything they build is horribly kitsch and random nowadays. Building a new Paris between Russia and Iran is just a ridiculous idea to say the least. Copying another culture very different than yours without even adding anything on it and its traditions gets you nowhere. Building a Haussman town in mid of nowhere doesn't make a good city. I guess that is how it works in dictatorships though.

Nowhere near the finish line but this is a bigger picture of the ongoing design.

Last edited by doguorsi2; August 11th, 2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old August 11th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #6106
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrequin View Post
Any more information about it ?
OMG, I love it! O: It's a perfect mixture of Russian/Orthodox baroque and Beaux Arts.

Tolbert, Raj20, Zaz965, njemanja3, Maglor liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #6107
Tolbert

Quote:
BTW dont even get me started on Baku. Everything they build is horribly kitsch and random nowadays. Building a new Paris between Russia and Iran is just a ridiculous idea to say the least. Copying another culture very different than yours without even adding anything on it and its traditions gets you nowhere. Building a Haussman town in mid of nowhere doesn't make a good city. I guess that is how it works in dictatorships though.

Nowhere near the finish line but this is a bigger picture of the ongoing design.
I really like your atempt to give the building a local touch like those in Istanbul. I think youre on a very good way. Just dont try to much that will distrupt the grandeur of your building

Could you give us a screen of the sharp corner of the building? Would lov to se it.

Incidentally, i meant the original western european inspired buildings in Baku, not those modern abominations they are building all over the place

Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 12th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #6108
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12584

edit

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Hed_Kandi; May 16th, 2017 at 07:53 PM.
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:05 PM   #6109
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7547

Quote:
You should not go that far with your prejudice about Baku.

Baku is a city with a historical heritage of European architecture and lifestyle. By the end of the 19th century Baku was a global oil center where the Nobels and the Rotschilds to name a few did their money. Back then Baku became one of the main cities in the Russian Empire. At the same time the city got a lot of European style builgings, Opera house and many others:

There are also historical buildings combining both traditional and European elements:

Today Baku is only trying to preserve its historical heritage and to improve some Soviet era housing built in downtown areas. Furthermore, in order to keep the ensemble up Baku is also trying to build some new buildings in "old style", especially in downtown areas. Of course there are some kitch and tasteless samples, however, there are very good quality ones too:

Old August 12th, 2015, 12:13 PM   #6110
doguorsi2
BANNED

Kusura bakma kardesim. Yeni yapilan cakma parisian binalardan bahsediyor sanmistim.

Benim favorim bu. Belediye binasiymis sanirim.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:18 PM   #6111
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7547

Quote:
Kusura bakma kardesim. Yeni yapilan cakma parisian binalardan bahsediyor sanmistim.
Evet ama senin söylediğin o "Paris semti" özel proje olan Baku White City-nin bir parçasıdır. O binaların şehire uyum sağlamasıda çok zor olmayacak bir hedefdir, çünki şehrin merkezi zaten bu tarz tarihi binalardan oluşuyor.

Lütfen Baküyü arap ve başka Ortadoğu kentleriyle karıştırma!

Zaz965 liked this post
Galandar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #6112
doguorsi2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galandar View Post
Evet ama senin söylediğin o "Paris semti" özel proje olan Baku White City-nin bir parçasıdır. O binaların şehire uyum sağlamasıda çok zor olmayacak bir hedefdir, çünki şehrin merkezi zaten bu tarz tarihi binalardan oluşuyor.

Lütfen Baküyü arap ve başka Ortadoğu kentleriyle karıştırma!
Arkadasim Baku'yu bi yerle karistirmiyorum. Azeriler i de cok severim ama maalesef bi mimar olarak ne dusundugumu soylememe engel olmuyor bu durum. Ne yazik ki o parisian projesi bugun her akli basinda mimarin karsi olacagi bi projedir. Baku de cok daha yerel,cok daha kendine ozgu yapilar var. Taklitler sadece gercegine deger katar. Sovyet Rusya mimarisi ile Haussman Paris'inin ne alakasi var. Kendimizi kandirmayalim lutfen.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #6113
doguorsi2
BANNED

Sorry for the Turkish dialog. Won't be repeated.

robertwood, Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 12th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #6114
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

The stuff in Baku is quite good, with a bit of wear and tear it should look excellent.

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Opulentus; February 20th, 2016 at 06:58 PM.
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #6115
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

New York again. A new 14 story building. Construction is due to start next year.

Source: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...new_towers.php

Last edited by Opulentus; February 20th, 2016 at 07:00 PM.
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #6116
Raj20
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6464

Russia / Church of St Catherine of Alexandria / Srostki, Altay Region / 2004-09

https://fotki.yandex.ru/next/users/i...12/view/711967 | Another Photo

https://fotki.yandex.ru/next/users/v...93/view/217151

https://fotki.yandex.ru/next/users/t...92/view/548858

https://fotki.yandex.ru/next/users/s...61/view/575347

https://fotki.yandex.ru/next/users/o...68/view/594717
Old August 13th, 2015, 12:09 AM   #6117
doguorsi2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbert View Post
I really like your attempt to give the building a local touch like those in Istanbul. I think you're on a very good way. Just don't try to much that will disrupt the grandeur of your building

Could you give us a screen of the sharp corner of the building? Would love to see it.
It is not very clear and not finished but somewhat gives an idea of the form.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 13th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #6118
hateman

Likes (Received): 1798

The University of Georgia's Correll Hall is nearing completion:

We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill

Opulentus, City Cityzen, UnHavrais, Zaz965 liked this post
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 11:12 AM   #6119
Roman_P

Likes (Received): 1777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galandar View Post

This one is quite OK indeed. Is it really brand new? Looks absolutely like late 19th century building.

Zaz965 liked this post
Roman_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #6120
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12584

From the Polish forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlodek3 View Post
Na Foriańskiej zrobiło się światowo

Raj20, Autostädter, Raf124, Zaz965 liked this post
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote