daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2016, 08:21 PM   #6881
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

Weymouth Harbour | Weymouth, Dorset

This is the proposed redesign of Weymouth Harbour in Dorset, England.

The 70's monstrosity it'll replace:

Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2016, 08:38 PM   #6882
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

Thatched Cottages | Hampshire

Two thatched cottages in Hampshire, England. Built in 2010.

erbse, UnHavrais, Jozef77, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Opulentus; February 2nd, 2016 at 06:30 PM.
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 04:48 AM   #6883
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulentus View Post
This is the proposed redesign of Weymouth Harbour in Dorset, England.

The 70's monstrosity it'll replace:

NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL PROGRESS!

benpicko, storms991, pozinhossc, Zaz965 liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 11:27 PM   #6884
MikkelAndersen

Likes (Received): 259

Makes me happy to see modern monstrosity replaced with historical gems.

Brucey7, robertwood, Zaz965 liked this post
MikkelAndersen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 04:45 AM   #6885
Tímea89

Likes (Received): 7520

Halasi Wine Cellar and Guest House in Villány. Villány (German: Wieland) is a small and prosperous Swabian-Hungarian wine producing town in the southernmost part of Hungary.

Built in 2014

Architect: Ottó Hoffer

"If only you were here for a moment to see with me the dead silver of the Danube, the dark mountains against the pale- red background and the lights of Pest glittering up to me; Vienna would go down in your appreciation compared with Buda-Pest" (Otto von Bismarck)
Tímea89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 05:52 AM   #6886
ChinaBRICS
BANNED

Likes (Received): 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaBRICS View Post

Yes, battlement is oversize and it's too charged for average western taste, but it's arty. Is much better than any Mc-CityHall.

Myself, with my western mindset, formated by French all-white rational architecture use to see Italian ochre cities as not beautiful. Prague and Karlovy Vary used to look like pastiches to me. Not to say last Ottoman palaces or whatever had eastern influences; but then I opened my mind and can appreciate it and got to understand it.
I hope you can do the same.

Anyways, I have to confess that I would have preffered those Kiev buildings without paintingor stucco or at least with clearer colours, and so for the Russian explample. Is a personal limitation. But of course I don't leave in that wheather, nor have that coulourful tradition.

For close minded people with acquired tastes that still don't understand what we are talking about:
Get off your prejudices!

http://c8.**********/comp/DRF03T/min...nia-DRF03T.jpg
[IMG]http://c8.**********/comp/DRF03T/ministry-of-the-exterior-bucharest-romania-DRF03T.jpg[/IMG]

TracoRomanul, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by ChinaBRICS; February 3rd, 2016 at 06:00 AM.
ChinaBRICS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 06:05 AM   #6887
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

Golden Jubilee Ballroom, IMPACT Muang Thong Thani (2006) - Pak Kret, Thailand

I'm not completely sure about the date; Google Earth shows that the building was under construction in 2005 and was finished by 2007, and King Bhumibol Adulyadej celebrated 60 years on the throne in 2006 (although that was his Diamond Jubilee, not the Golden Jubilee-- which was in 1996), so that's my educated guess. The remarkable, and very unusual thing about this ballroom, is that the only thing traditional about its building is this room, and only this room. The rest of building, inside and out, is a standard large glass-and-steel convention centre, which is about as classical as an iPhone (the ballroom is located on the right side of the larger building to the left):

A rather unusual setting for such an ornate work of architecture. Although, as I hope on showing with some other examples, not the only example of unusually-sited Western traditional architecture in Thailand. All in all, the design follows the rules and norms of classical design, and is well-executed, to a degree rarely seen anywhere today-- to say nothing of outside the West! Most large hotel ballrooms today, even those that are meant to have a "classic" look to them, are clearly designed with functionality as overriding concern: drop ceilings dominated by tracks for dividers, sparse or even perfunctory ornamentation, and are usually very wide, very long, but far too short to achieve a proper sense of proportion. This is very clearly not the case here.

I think the design could have been improved had the room been a bit taller, and the vault made a little deeper, as it looks slightly compressed. The design of the long central ceiling coffer (that runs most the length of the vault) is somewhat unorthodox, and I suspect the sheer size of the room made things complicated for the architect; three equally spaced rows of square coffers (like this) would have probably worked better. The chandeliers are an unfortunate deviation from the theme, but that is minor. Ultimately, however, my criticisms are minor, and I am in no place whatsoever to complain about this absolutely wonderful-- if unusually situated-- design.

It reminds me of the (temporary) Salle des États built in the L'Hôtel des Menus-Plaisirs in Versailles to house the Estates-General of 1789 (see below), and also of the grand ballroom of the Plaza Hotel here in New York, although the Plaza's ballroom (measuring 88 ft long, 54 ft wide, and 25 ft tall), with an area of 4,800 sq ft, is dwarfed by the Golden Jubilee Ballroom (measuring 295 ft long, 130 ft wide, and 46 ft tall), whose area is 37,600 sq ft! Just amazing!

erbse, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Simfan34; February 3rd, 2016 at 06:17 AM.
Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 08:22 AM   #6888
jackryan100

Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tímea89 View Post
Halasi Wine Cellar and Guest House in Villány. Villány (German: Wieland) is a small and prosperous Swabian-Hungarian wine producing town in the southernmost part of Hungary. Built in 2014 Architect: Ottó Hoffer
Wow, it is marvellous. I did not know that there are neo-traditional architects in Hungary
jackryan100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 08:54 AM   #6889
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

Looks like I've taken a bit of a detour while going through Thailand and have wound up in... London?

Audley Square House (U/C) - Mayfair, London, UK
Architect: Robert A.M. Stern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simfan34 View Post
Here are some more renders:

Most images are taken from this document.
Quote:
Here are some additional cross-sections (mostly from the Daily Mail):

Old February 3rd, 2016, 05:57 PM   #6890
meetthestreet

Likes (Received): 30

[QUOTE=ChinaBRICS;130455894]For close minded people with acquired tastes that still don't understand what we are talking about:
Get off your prejudices!

Probably most on this forum have not seen these structures with their own eyes. That can be instructive, because so much of the success of historic revival structures is in the materials. For example, if cast stone is used in place of real limestone, then, meh, not so great but maybe OK. On the other hand, if you were to notice that the facade is actually composed of a flimsy stucco-like substance, then the overall result -- to me -- is a disappointment. Or the detailing of ornament, upon closer inspection, may be crude. Not saying that is the case with these new buildings, but I have seen it in similar revival constructions and it really is disillusioning.

erbse, ChinaBRICS, gdlrar, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by meetthestreet; February 3rd, 2016 at 06:03 PM. Reason: didn't include comment
meetthestreet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 12:07 AM   #6891
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 461

Quote:
Looks like I've taken a bit of a detour while going through Thailand and have wound up in... London?

Audley Square House (U/C) - Mayfair, London, UK
Architect: Robert A.M. Stern
RAMSA are one of those U.S. Architectural Practices that know all about complementing the surrounding environment when designing new buildings and also they know how important correct proportion, ornament etc is. I hope this goes ahead, a refreshing change to so much cheap and nasty stuff that has been thrown up in London in recent times, though this particular area is better controlled than many other parts of the city.

erbse, Simfan34, robertwood, Zaz965 liked this post
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 12:31 AM   #6892
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaBRICS View Post
Open your mind!!!!

It's a 1901 house by genius Władysław Horodecki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C5%8...82aw_Horodecki

I can't understand how so many people who does big deal around Gaudi's sand-castles don't have enought sense of order to apreciate this.

I think most purists, as well as modern architecture integrists, don't have sense of order at all; they just can apreciate things if are in line with their acquired taste. Is not personal. I'm not talking about you. I'm just thinking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_with_Chimaeras
I have to confess I had never heard of this architect (even though I've studied History of Architecture). Yes, Gaudi was not the only one around in the early 20th c with some way out ideas on design. I have to say I find this particular building particularly ugly and depressing but that is a personal opinion obviously not shared by all.

ChinaBRICS, Zaz965 liked this post
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 03:04 PM   #6893
O Galego
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 126

Love this thread. Just wish more buildings like these would be built in Spain (my homeland). It makes me sad that instead they try to build modern stuff (but cheaply, because there is no money) and it almost always ends up being quite a disaster. It is even more interesting that in my region, Galicia, politicians are trying to promote modern architecture as a touristic attraction even though we only have a few nice looking moder buildings and they are spread out all over the place. It's a real shame. I'm jealous of America, the UK and even Russia.

Zaz965 liked this post
O Galego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #6894
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1615

You should take a visit to Berlin. We recently got some very nice spanish late19th/early20th revivals...
Quote:

Pics/ Bilder ©Ludi

erbse, Jozef77, Zaz965 liked this post
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #6895
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

Likes (Received): 59664

Few examples from Balaklava, Russia. I don't know the exact year of construction, but they seem quite new...

source
Skopje/Скопје no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 06:13 AM   #6896
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 804

I love them!

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

Zaz965 liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 11:17 AM   #6897
midi81

Likes (Received): 1513

New villa in Munic replacing ugly 60-s box. Built 2010s.

Tolbert, erbse, City Cityzen, Tiaren, Jozef77 and 1 others liked this post
midi81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 11:18 AM   #6898
midi81

Likes (Received): 1513

Urban infill in Munich, "Isartor-Palais" built 2010.

Tolbert, The-s, erbse, City Cityzen, Tiaren and 7 others liked this post
midi81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #6899
MikkelAndersen

Likes (Received): 259

Great buildings in Münich.
MikkelAndersen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 07:10 PM   #6900
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 561

A building in the Polanco neighbourhood of Mexico City. It looks better in person than this picture suggests.

https://grandpolanco.files.wordpress...-polanco-1.jpg

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Opulentus, roballan, erbse, Dober_86, gdlrar and 2 others liked this post
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, neo-urban plan, new urbanism, stipson