daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2016, 01:10 PM   #6941
Lambrequin
Registered Français

Likes (Received): 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post
Those are stunning! Very Parisian. Just shows historical recreations can be done properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benpicko View Post
I doubt anybody looking at them in the street will think that, and I don't really agree either
No, no, no and NO !

Quote:
Originally Posted by obses View Post
it looks too fake for me :/
You are right, and I'll explain why.

These flats are poorly constructed imitations, like most of russian attempts at doing new-traditional architecture.

Even though I am not a true "connaisseur", I see some stunning flaws. I will never understand why architects working on such projects never do research on their source of inspiration, as there are strict composition rules. Especially for Haussmannian-inspired buildings.

For instance :

Problem n°1 : those flats are not even aligned (they are looking like stairs).
Problem n°2 : an additional story/floor is lacking
Problem n°3 : why so many entrance doors ? And why aren't they symmetrically aligned to the windows ? Same issue for the balcony upside
Problem n°4 : roof is not in mansard style, and is rather cubic
Problem n°5 : chimneys and roof windows are modern-looking
Problem n°6 : last roof's balconies should be in iron, not stone/concrete
Problem n°7 : last roof's balconies must be lie on the cornice, and not behind. Classical architecture rule (well, I think so).
Problem n°8 : there should be a continuous balcony at the first floor
Problem n°9 : there should be commercial activities at the ground floor (such as stores, etc.)
Problem n°10 : lamps and windows tint look fake as hell
Problem n°11 : it's not dressed-stone, but poorly-colored concrete
Problem n°12 : second floor is tinier than the surroundings ones, considering the size of the windows

And the list goes all and all... As I am not an expert, I must miss some other things, but I know you get my point. And please keep in mind that I do not want to be insulting or whatsoever. I just want to keep you well informed, that's all.

CNB30, HURZ, Jasper90, Raf124, Brucey7 and 3 others liked this post
Lambrequin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2016, 01:16 PM   #6942
O Galego
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 148

^ You're probably right (I'm not an expert so can't say). Yet, those buildings still look better to me than 99% of modern residential developments.
O Galego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 03:50 PM   #6943
Roman_P

Likes (Received): 1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrequin View Post
These flats are poorly constructed imitations, like most of russian attempts at doing new-traditional architecture.
Actually this one is by an American architect, Gregory Tuck.
Roman_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 04:33 PM   #6944
Lambrequin
Registered Français

Likes (Received): 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_P View Post
Actually this one is by an American architect, Gregory Tuck.
How disappointing... Coming from americans, I have been used to much better productions. Anyway, I doesn't change anything about the previous observation.
Lambrequin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 06:16 PM   #6945
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

I have two massive problems with this building:

1. What you cannot see properly is the surroundings but my guess is (and the 3rd picture indicates it) that this building doesn't fit in and looks alien.

2. This is Russia not France, two countries with completely different characters and styles.
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 11:23 PM   #6946
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrequin View Post
No, no, no and NO !

You are right, and I'll explain why.

Even though I am not a true "connaisseur", I see some stunning flaws. I will never understand why architects working on such projects never do research on their source of inspiration, as there are strict composition rules. Especially for Haussmannian-inspired buildings.

And the list goes all and all... As I am not an expert, I must miss some other things, but I know you get my point. And please keep in mind that I do not want to be insulting or whatsoever. I just want to keep you well informed, that's all.

Oh dude, you really shoud have taken a closer look...

The design is derived of the british/american way of "Beaux Art" and not of Haussmanian stile!

I'll explain to you, why you're wrong in most cases...

For instance :

Quote:
Problem n°1 : those flats are not even aligned (they are looking like stairs).
The street slopes up a hill. Therefore they are aligned like stairs...

Quote:
Problem n°2 : an additional story/floor is lacking
There are no rules of how many floors a building has to have even in Haussmannian design rules!

Quote:
Problem n°3 : why so many entrance doors ? And why aren't they
symmetrically aligned to the windows ? Same issue for the balcony upside
These are singular row houses, build in the same stile. Its called "Terrace" and its something the british/americans do...
There is no rule that the buildings in a terrace should have symetric facades. Same goes with the balustrade above the doors. It would look better if it would cover the whole front, but its not wrong to emphasize the entrance with it!

Quote:
Problem n°4 : roof is not in mansard style, and is rather cubic
Right, but i would rather call this a request on modern/optimum use of the upper floor. After all its claded with copper as it seems, so i would say its not original but reasonable.

Quote:
Problem n°5 : chimneys and roof windows are modern-looking
No, they're not! Take a look at London...

Quote:
Problem n°6 : last roof's balconies should be in iron, not stone/concrete
Not a french design, and even if, a balustrade would be absolutely okay to finish the eaves/cornice. One could call the chosen solution artistic freedom. It was allowed in 19th ct. even in france So its different, but not wrong!

Quote:
Problem n°7 : last roof's balconies must be lie on the cornice, and not behind. Classical architecture rule (well, I think so).
The whole design seems to be created the way, that an old facade got an extended upper floor. And so it works quite well...

Quote:
Problem n°8 : there should be a continuous balcony at the first floor
Wrong! Theres no rule for that.

Quote:
Problem n°9 : there should be commercial activities at the ground floor (such as stores, etc.)
Its single family housing!

Quote:
Problem n°10 : lamps and windows tint look fake as hell

Those buildings are still under construction. Theres not a single window finished. Most of them are either still foiled or not even installed
The lamps arent wrong either. Its a matter of personal taste if you want clear glas or tainted glass!

Quote:
Problem n°11 : it's not dressed-stone, but poorly-colored concrete

Take a closer look. Its dressed stone!

Quote:
Problem n°12 : second floor is tinier than the surroundings ones, considering the size of the windows
Might be right, but it doesnt take to much away of the overal desing...
And besides, the windows are of correct size. Its the parapet that seems to be to low!

Bidelson, Opulentus, Dober_86, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Tolbert; March 4th, 2016 at 06:15 AM.
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 02:35 AM   #6947
benpicko

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostädter View Post

1. What you cannot see properly is the surroundings but my guess is (and the 3rd picture indicates it) that this building doesn't fit in and looks alien.
You're opposed to most modern architecture in old European cities then, I assume?
benpicko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #6948
Roman_P

Likes (Received): 1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostädter View Post

2. This is Russia not France, two countries with completely different characters and styles.
I don't see any problem in this (even though I can't call myself a big fan of this building).

1. The architectural look of nowdays Moscow (beside some particular places but this one is not one of them) is so eclectic and messy that almost any building would fit. Probably unless it is too massive and dominating but this is not the case. If this building were erected in St. Petersburg I would bother about fitting into neigbourhood, but not in Moscow (Ostozhenka region in particular).
2. So does it mean all the buildings in Russia should have some specific 'Russian' style (whatever it is)? First of all, it's Moscow, a large highly urbanized metropolis. Big cities all over the world have more in common with each other than with towns of their own countries (that doesn't mean they can't bear some national features, of course). A 'character' of Paris is not the same as a 'character' of France and it's true for Moscow and Russia as well.

Dober_86 liked this post
Roman_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 11:12 AM   #6949
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by obses View Post
it looks too fake for me :/
Mainly because you know they've just been built. With time they'll age a bit and look quite authentic.
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 04:13 PM   #6950
midi81

Likes (Received): 1568

Two new villas in Stockholm area (2008 and 2010) and one in Norway (2014)

Old March 4th, 2016, 05:15 PM   #6951
Tolbert

Great!
Old March 4th, 2016, 05:25 PM   #6952
meetthestreet

Likes (Received): 40

[QUOTE=midi81;131158367]Two new villas in Stockholm area (2008 and 2010) and one in Norway (2014)

Beautiful buildings. These buildings are so enhanced by their roofing materials. Folks from Europe may consider tile, slate, or metal roofs as the norm, but this is one area where U.S. historic revival construction usually fails. I am always amazed at how much is spent to create new buildings in premodern architectural vernacular in the U.S., only to ruin it by roofing the structure in asphalt shingles. Ugh.
meetthestreet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #6953
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59688

Wow, fantastic Scandinavian examples with those mansions!
They resemble Bäderarchitektur (seaside resort architecture) a lot (esp. the last one), of which you'll find drop-dead gorgeous ensembles along the eastern part of the German Baltic Sea coast (esp. in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and formerly German resorts like Sopot and Swinoujscie).

One typical example from Rugia Island:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...0460205%29.jpg

Buildings in this style are still constructed, as these seaside resorts are quite touristy.
Perhaps I'll show some examples later on.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Opulentus, Dober_86, midi81, Jozef77, Zaz965 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #6954
Brumax
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Very wel
Brumax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 12:00 AM   #6955
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

Likes (Received): 61760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skopje/Скопје View Post
The church St. Constantine and Elena in Skopje, Macedonia (under construction)
Newer photo... Btw, it's an Orthodox Christian church.

Walking Around Skopje by Stefan P, on Flickr
Skopje/Скопје no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 04:11 AM   #6956
Dober_86
On top

Likes (Received): 141229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post
Mainly because you know they've just been built. With time they'll age a bit and look quite authentic.
Prolly Russian bias is part of the issue as well. If this were bulit say in england or the US who knows how less acrid the criticism would've been.

Simfan34, Zaz965 liked this post
Dober_86 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #6957
Sentyme
KlejnotNilu

Likes (Received): 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dober_86 View Post
Prolly Russian bias is part of the issue as well. If this were bulit say in england or the US who knows how less acrid the criticism would've been.
NOPE. Man, I don't want to elongate the shitstorm here but don't seek any bias here. If such Hausmannian-like building was constructed in France, there would be a lot more of criticism, because it would be simply quite a big decrease of quality in France. The bulding looks fake for me as well and I've made this opinion before getting to know that it's in Russia.
Sentyme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 01:35 AM   #6958
Tolbert

Problem still is, these are not "Haussmannian style" buildings. They're Beaux Art designs.
If you're not able to get it, you should either get your hands on an architecture book an learn something or stop talking about architecture at all!
Old March 6th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #6959
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59688

I don't see why this example from Russia causes so much fuss, it's clearly one of the better examples of attempts at New Classical in the country. When it gains some patina it should look pretty decent, even though out of place still.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Zaz965 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #6960
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

Quote:
1. The architectural look of nowdays Moscow (beside some particular places but this one is not one of them) is so eclectic and messy that almost any building would fit.
Maybe.

Quote:
2. So does it mean all the buildings in Russia should have some specific 'Russian' style (whatever it is)?
No, it can be modern as well. Modernism is mostly an international style. Traditional architecture roots in the local/national traditions and locally available materials. That can't be said about this building. I love traditional architecture but the greatest thing about it is that it isn't identical in any two places. It makes the distinction of a place. If it's just copied one-to.one it looses all it's appeal in my eyes.

Quote:
Big cities all over the world have more in common with each other than with towns of their own countries.
Only in terms of scale and modern architecture maybe. At least for Europe that's not true. To me, Paris looks very French, Zurich very Swiss, and Moscow very Russian, at least when it comes to traditional architecture. Foreign traditional styles have been adopted in the past but not one-to-one, otherwise St. Petersburg would look French or German and much of Europe would look Greek, Italian or French.

Rokugatsu, Zaz965 liked this post
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, neo-urban plan, new urbanism, stipson