daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 29th, 2016, 01:41 AM   #7341
Utente davvero.
Errare humanum est

Likes (Received): 1367

A new chapel built in 2014 in Brasilia, Brazil. Made in Portuguese colonial style with some baroque influence.

"Eu acho que você só tem de usar seus olhos para ver o que quero dizer. É um estilo de arquitetura que surgiu colocando a função, a utilidade e os efeitos de curto prazo no lugar do povoamento, da permanência e da moradia. A arquitetura moderna é um tipo de 'falta de lar', uma profanação à morada humana."

— Sir Roger Vernon Scruton, filósofo britânico.

erbse, LordMayhem, Opulentus, hercre liked this post

Last edited by Utente davvero.; November 17th, 2016 at 01:33 AM.
Utente davvero. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2016, 06:36 AM   #7342
benpicko

Likes (Received): 96

I don't understand really why, when we have so many of these new classical buildings being made, more people don't appear to be attempting to create an entirely new style based on the same principles but new art. A lot of these are basically either stripped down, austere looking and classically inspired buildings, or copy-and-pastes directly from the past. I like them quite a bit, but it's evidently not the way to win over the architecturally community at large, or to blow away the public. We need to be creating something new, desperately, rather than just feeding the narrative that those of us who like decoration and detail are stuck in the past, when really we're not.

Aster de Gatîne, Galro liked this post
benpicko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #7343
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58039

^ That's what I'm saying since ages. There needs to be an architectural evolution inspired by Art Nouveau, Deco, Expressionism, Organic and the likes, i.e. modern expressions derived from the classical vocabulary.

The thing is though, contemporary architects at large don't master the classical vocabulary yet again. They still have to re-learn. Only when a larger margin of them reached some grade of perfection in it, they'll be able to create what we long for. But I'm optimistic we're getting there very soon, also with the help of modern technology.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #7344
LordMayhem

Likes (Received): 309

I'm not sure if this one counts, in Port Hedland, Australia. (A booming port and mining town)

Small hotel originally built in 1900, but largely destroyed by a cyclone in 1939.

Hotel later rebuilt in this style.

It's redesign and extension completed 2013.

LordMayhem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #7345
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1461

Ogden Utah Temple - Ogden, Utah (2014)

Technically a major remodel.

Before:
014 - Ogden Utah Temple by Ben Schramm, on Flickr

After:

Source: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/articl...en-utah-temple
in darkness." - Confessions (Book IV), Augustine of Hippo

"Laws are made for these reasons: that human wickedness
may be restrained through fear of their execution; that the
lives of innocent men may be safe among criminals; and
that the temptation to commit wrong may be restrained by
the fear of punishment." - The Visigothic Code (Book I, Title II, Part V)
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #7346
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9798

Damn, that's nioce. Would it be possible to see a picture how much of the underlining structure was retained between the two designs? I.e. if you have a picture showing the construction process after the structure had been stripped of the old design?
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 03:23 PM   #7347
OakRidge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Damn, that's nioce. Would it be possible to see a picture how much of the underlining structure was retained between the two designs? I.e. if you have a picture showing the construction process after the structure had been stripped of the old design?
If you look at the construction photos it goes from this:

To this:

To this:

More construction photos: http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/ogde...tion/archived/

Galro, Roman_P liked this post
Old May 31st, 2016, 10:15 AM   #7348
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1649

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Germany View Post
This is a house in Seligenstadt, Germany

I was just passing by, so I'm afraid I couldn't take more photos.

Edit: Dunno why the pics weren't working. Thx for the tipp Erbse!
Very good example to show us something taky from germany. Unfortunately we have a lot of this crap in more "remote" areas...
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 11:39 AM   #7349
erbse
LIBERTINED

Yeah, these "Toscana"-styled "mansions" built from the cheapest stuff available at the local DIY store and proposed by greasy homebuilding agents. Sadly they occur all across the continent, and especially in Eastern Europe. A testament of bad taste. Please don't post such cheesy McMansions here, thanks a lot!

Btw, I'm quite impressed with the Ogden Utah Temple transformation. It was an alright modernist building before (a bit like Googie style), but it's a much more imposing temple building now.

Raf124, obses liked this post
Old May 31st, 2016, 08:44 PM   #7350
Tímea89

Likes (Received): 7520

Hapimag Apartment House – Buda Castle, Hungary.

architect: Péter REIMHOLZ
year of design/construction: 1997/2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windblower View Post

"If only you were here for a moment to see with me the dead silver of the Danube, the dark mountains against the pale- red background and the lights of Pest glittering up to me; Vienna would go down in your appreciation compared with Buda-Pest" (Otto von Bismarck)

hercre, Roman_P liked this post
Tímea89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 10:23 PM   #7351
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

Likes (Received): 59736

A small inn near the old church "Holy Mother of God - Zaum", on the shore of the Ohrid lake, Macedonia. The church is built in 1299, and the construction of the inn started in 2014. The inn is built in the so called Balkan (Ottoman) style, very common for Macedonia and other Balkan countries.

The inn

The church

source and more photos
Skopje/Скопје no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 11:42 PM   #7352
OakRidge

Looks quite nice.

Old June 1st, 2016, 02:24 AM   #7353
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
^ That's what I'm saying since ages. There needs to be an architectural evolution inspired by Art Nouveau, Deco, Expressionism, Organic and the likes, i.e. modern expressions derived from the classical vocabulary.

The thing is though, contemporary architects at large don't master the classical vocabulary yet again. They still have to re-learn. Only when a larger margin of them reached some grade of perfection in it, they'll be able to create what we long for. But I'm optimistic we're getting there very soon, also with the help of modern technology.
I hope your optimism is fulfilled - the problem with our modern technology is that it is creating some really freakish buildings that lack any kind of humanity and just like in the bad old 70's they are totally out of harmony with their surroundings.

Opulentus liked this post
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 09:19 AM   #7354
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skopje/Скопје View Post
A small inn near the old church "Holy Mother of God - Zaum", on the shore of the Ohrid lake, Macedonia. The church is built in 1299, and the construction of the inn started in 2014. The inn is built in the so called Balkan (Ottoman) style, very common for Macedonia and other Balkan countries.

The inn

source and more photos
This is more of a vernacular design but it sure is very nice! It would perfectly fit in most areas of Turkey. You should check out my "Vernacular Architecture in Turkey" thread!
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 09:40 AM   #7355
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1649

Quote:
Originally Posted by doguorsi2 View Post
This is more of a vernacular design but it sure is very nice! It would perfectly fit in most areas of Turkey. You should check out my "Vernacular Architecture in Turkey" thread!
Before anyone even has the idea of starting a discussion about politics and whether this is turkish or balkan architecture...

This threat is solely for discussing the subjects posted on their architectural significance!
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 12:06 PM   #7356
erbse
LIBERTINED

Reasons to be optimistic about the future of New Classical Architecture and its evolution!

Vernacular/traditional and New Classical architecture is all what this thread is about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
I hope your optimism is fulfilled - the problem with our modern technology is that it is creating some really freakish buildings that lack any kind of humanity and just like in the bad old 70's they are totally out of harmony with their surroundings.
There's many reasons to be optimistic.

The most relevant imho is that the development of New Classical is now actually fostered and endorsed unlike in the post-war period. Various awards/prices are endowed like the renowned Driehaus Architecture Prize. There's more and more New Classical architects.

But the best reason to be optimistic is, that there will be even more classically educated architects in the future, as the group of Universities and schools that offer such courses grows significantly as we speak, producing more and more alumni with all the abilities needed! The hunger for classical and an evolution of architecture grounded in our millennia old cultural heritage grows just as much.

doguorsi2, Galro, TM_Germany, Divagation liked this post
Old June 1st, 2016, 01:42 PM   #7357
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

Likes (Received): 59736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbert View Post
Before anyone even has the idea of starting a discussion about politics and whether this is turkish or balkan architecture...

This threat is solely for discussing the subjects posted on their architectural significance!
He is partially right, since the Ottoman (Turkish) architecture influenced a lot on the traditional Balkan architecture, so there is no reason for reaction by me or by anyone else. There are varieties in every Balkan country, off course...

I will try to continue with the posting of the good examples from my country, since lately we are more popular by the bad examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by doguorsi2 View Post
I will check the thread, thanks for the info!
Skopje/Скопје no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 02:53 PM   #7358
obses

Likes (Received): 136

Madrid, Spain

Before:

After:

Last edited by obses; June 1st, 2016 at 03:00 PM.
obses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 03:06 PM   #7359
Marco Bruno
Les cites obscures

Likes (Received): 2928

Mormons will built their first Lisbon temple. See images here.

We don't have many examples of "new" buildings being built in traditional architecture. In Lisbon I can only think about 2 or 3 examples. Most interventions are old buildings under refurbishment.

Galro, erbse liked this post
Marco Bruno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 04:10 PM   #7360
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9798

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post

But the best reason to be optimistic is, that there will be even more classically educated architects in the future, as the group of Universities and schools that offer such courses grows significantly as we speak, producing more and more alumni with all the abilities needed! The hunger for classical and an evolution of architecture grounded in our millennia old cultural heritage grows just as much.
Another point: People are increasingly starting to live in cities again. This in turn will likely fuel a renewed interest in urbanity that did not exist in the post-war years when people instead abandoned inner-city living, as people tend to care more about the places they live. The public at large have a tendency to prefer traditional designs which can be seen by the kind of buildings they chose to live in in suburbia (as well as the kind of cottages they tend to chose). I therefore consider it likely that city developments will increasingly come in traditional style flavour as city developments become more of a mainstream subject and is not longer a niche interest reserved for a "elite" of architects.

erbse liked this post
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, neo-urban plan, new urbanism, stipson