daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2016, 08:14 PM   #7481
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12581

Church of the Holy Spirit
Bialystok, Poland
Built 1999
https://www.flickr.com/photos/miles-away-from-home/4979867883/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/miles-...me/4979868459/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/miles-...me/4979892895/

Last edited by Hed_Kandi; June 20th, 2016 at 08:19 PM.
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2016, 12:42 AM   #7482
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Stockwell Park Crescent Development
London, UK
Built 2015
https://marvin-architectural.co.uk/c...d-development/

Old June 21st, 2016, 01:52 AM   #7483
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Old June 21st, 2016, 02:07 AM   #7484
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

The Humanities Building, Rice University
Houston, TX, USA
Built 2000
http://www.allangreenberg.com/projec...ies-building/#

Old June 21st, 2016, 02:42 AM   #7485
benpicko

Likes (Received): 96

Makes me so happy to see those materials surrounded by grass and trees rather than steel and glass surrounded by concrete

doguorsi2, Hed_Kandi, JMGA196, cameronpaul liked this post
benpicko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 04:21 AM   #7486
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

New Residential Building
Moritzburg, Germany
Built 2002
http://www.architekttreuner.de/tradi...s/trad_15.html

Old June 21st, 2016, 04:39 AM   #7487
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

New Small Apartment
Dusseldorf, Germany
http://welbers-architekt.de/projekte/san-remo-strasse/

Old June 21st, 2016, 05:31 AM   #7488
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Old June 21st, 2016, 06:16 AM   #7489
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5149

This thread makes me think of how much architecture has devalued over the last 150 years. Back then, other arts like painting and sculpture were auxiliar to architecture. Buildings had tons of paintings in the interior and sculptures in the exterior. They took some time to do, maybe even years, but hey, that's the price you have to pay for quality. Everything was aesthetically pleasing, everything had class and character. We were surrounded by art.

But then abstract and funcionalist movements struck. Everything was meant to be simple and functional. Art could be anything. You don't need to have top skills nowadays to be considered an artist. Nobody cares about art anymore. That negligence is what keeps art in its current state, nobody cares abour art, so there is no need for artists to improve. You can be a monkey with no skills and paint something like Pollock, Mondrian or Rothko and call yourself an artist. Architecture was affected by this and it deviated from the logical straight line of development and evolution it had been following. You could see how architecture was slowly changing and evolving from the ancient Greeks, to Rome, to Byzantium, to Venice, the Gothic style, Renaissance, Baroque, Neoclassicism, and then started deviating, first slowly but nicely, with Art Nouveau-Jugendstil and Art Deco. And then took another completely different direction with no correlation to the other ones with functionalism and minimalism.

I think that us, the present and future generations have the task of taking architecture back to were it belongs. They noticed this in the XV and XVI centuries, and the Renaissance was born. They noticed it again in the XIX century and Neoclassicism was born. We should re direction architecture in the way it should: to a constant and regular development and evolution. Combining classic aesthetics with modern knowledge. We can use the last century as an experimental time. How do we do this? We now know much more different materials that we can use, such as mass produced crystal, aluminium or cobblestone alternatives. We can use steel to make better buildings. We know the structure theories iniciated by Le Corbusier. We now can make curtain walls. We can make taller buildings. We can make different intricated structures, proven by architects such as Gehry (although I hate him), Santiago Calatrava or Frank Lloyd Wright. Combining modern shapes (not that I'm implying that we should make a Gehry's Guggenheim made with marble and using ornaments like gargoyles and with triglyphs for example ), structures and materials but adorning them and making them as aesthetically pleasing as classic architecture used to be. We need to re use and redevelop old techniques and resources such as column capitals and orders, porticos and peristyles, different types of arches, vaults, etc.

And this comes with other important point: Identity. Back then, every town, every nation had its own identity. You can easily see the differences between spanish and italian baroque for example. Homegrown artists generally used to make their work in their own lands. Italian artists for Italy, french artists for France, spanish artists for Spain, turk artists for the Ottoman Empire, chinese artists for the Chinese Empire, and so on. Now, everyone can make any kind of building in any place in the world. You can place a chinese building in the USA or England for example, and it would most likely not look out of place. We need to give each country its identity back. I'm not saying that architects should not make buildings outside of their countries; I'm saying architects should adapt to other countries traditions and culture before making a new design there. The only good example of what I'm saying, I think, is brazilian modern architecture. It started with Oscar Niemeyer and Lúcio Costa, and you can still see it in Paulo Mendes da Rocha. They have an identity. You can recognize brazilian architecture easily, anywhere. Many other big countries fail to have a way of making architecture of its own. I wouldn't like to see some of the buildings in Brasilia, Rio or any other Brazilian city on any place other than Brazil. It just wouldn't feel right. That's why I love the fact that almost all Niemeyer's buildings were built in Brazil. I think he basically started Brazilian architecture and certainly influenced every contemporary brazilian architect. Some aspects and characteristics I've seen are quite usual in Brazilian architecture: Simple shapes, interaction between straight lines and curves, minimalism, bare concrete facade, plain white + crystal facade, contrast between the juxtaposition of bare concrete or plain white with stong basic colours like red or blue, for example, specially in the interiors.

If we manage to merge what I said before, we can make architecture beautiful again. This also applies for other forms of art: painting, sculpture, music, literature...

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

benpicko, doguorsi2, almin96, Opulentus, Bent and 2 others liked this post
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 06:30 AM   #7490
benpicko

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
This thread makes me think of how much architecture has devalued over the last 150 years. Back then, other arts like painting and sculpture were auxiliar to architecture. Buildings had tons of paintings in the interior and sculptures in the exterior. They took some time to do, maybe even years, but hey, that's the price you have to pay for quality. Everything was aesthetically pleasing, everything had class and character. We were surrounded by art.

But then abstract and funcionalist movements struck. Everything was meant to be simple and functional. Art could be anything. You don't need to have top skills nowadays to be considered an artist. Nobody cares about art anymore. That negligence is what keeps art in its current state, nobody cares abour art, so there is no need for artists to improve. You can be a monkey with no skills and paint something like Pollock, Mondrian or Rothko and call yourself an artist. Architecture was affected by this and it deviated from the logical straight line of development and evolution it had been following. You could see how architecture was slowly changing and evolving from the ancient Greeks, to Rome, to Byzantium, to Venice, the Gothic style, Renaissance, Baroque, Neoclassicism, and then started deviating, first slowly but nicely, with Art Nouveau-Jugendstil and Art Deco. And then took another completely different direction with no correlation to the other ones with functionalism and minimalism.

I think that us, the present and future generations have the task of taking architecture back to were it belongs. They noticed this in the XV and XVI centuries, and the Renaissance was born. They noticed it again in the XIX century and Neoclassicism was born. We should re direction architecture in the way it should: to a constant and regular development and evolution. Combining classic aesthetics with modern knowledge. We can use the last century as an experimental time. How do we do this? We now know much more different materials that we can use, such as mass produced crystal, aluminium or cobblestone alternatives. We can use steel to make better buildings. We know the structure theories iniciated by Le Corbusier. We now can make curtain walls. We can make taller buildings. We can make different intricated structures, proven by architects such as Gehry (although I hate him), Santiago Calatrava or Frank Lloyd Wright. Combining modern shapes (not that I'm implying that we should make a Gehry's Guggenheim made with marble and using ornaments like gargoyles and with triglyphs for example ), structures and materials but adorning them and making them as aesthetically pleasing as classic architecture used to be. We need to re use and redevelop old techniques and resources such as column capitals and orders, porticos and peristyles, different types of arches, vaults, etc.

And this comes with other important point: Identity. Back then, every town, every nation had its own identity. You can easily see the differences between spanish and italian baroque for example. Homegrown artists generally used to make their work in their own lands. Italian artists for Italy, french artists for France, spanish artists for Spain, turk artists for the Ottoman Empire, chinese artists for the Chinese Empire, and so on. Now, everyone can make any kind of building in any place in the world. You can place a chinese building in the USA or England for example, and it would most likely not look out of place. We need to give each country its identity back. I'm not saying that architects should not make buildings outside of their countries; I'm saying architects should adapt to other countries traditions and culture before making a new design there. The only good example of what I'm saying, I think, is brazilian modern architecture. It started with Oscar Niemeyer and Lúcio Costa, and you can still see it in Paulo Mendes da Rocha. They have an identity. You can recognize brazilian architecture easily, anywhere. Many other big countries fail to have a way of making architecture of its own. I wouldn't like to see some of the buildings in Brasilia, Rio or any other Brazilian city on any place other than Brazil. It just wouldn't feel right. That's why I love the fact that almost all Niemeyer's buildings were built in Brazil. I think he basically started Brazilian architecture and certainly influenced every contemporary brazilian architect. Some aspects and characteristics I've seen are quite usual in Brazilian architecture: Simple shapes, interaction between straight lines and curves, minimalism, bare concrete facade, plain white + crystal facade, contrast between the juxtaposition of bare concrete or plain white with stong basic colours like red or blue, for example, specially in the interiors.

If we manage to merge what I said before, we can make architecture beautiful again. This also applies for other forms of art: painting, sculpture, music, literature...
Perfect, exactly what I'd like to say in this thread if I actually had the patience to sit down and write it . This thread shows that there's a demand for it, as do most people I speak to, but we need desperately to reintroduce the teaching for those arts and architecture, and then we can make something new and beautiful.

doguorsi2, master-mata liked this post
benpicko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 06:31 AM   #7491
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

I AGREE %100 !!!
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 06:39 AM   #7492
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

For those who wish to view a much cleaner, more organized and condensed version of this thread, head over to Skyscraperpage: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...76535&page=104

Start from the last page and work forward because the first 20 pages or so are a mess. I've managed to keep the rest of the thread somewhat orderly.
Old June 21st, 2016, 06:36 PM   #7493
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Church of Latter Day Saints
Tijuana, Mexico
Built 2015

Last edited by Hed_Kandi; May 16th, 2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old June 21st, 2016, 06:51 PM   #7494
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

St. George Main Branch Library
Library
St. George, UT, USA
http://www.jacobsenconstruction.com/...ranch-library/

Old June 21st, 2016, 07:27 PM   #7495
midi81

Likes (Received): 1513

Reuse of old Catholic teachers school and construction of new multifamily villas in Nijmegen, Netherlands. Finished 2015.

Old June 21st, 2016, 08:33 PM   #7496
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Old June 21st, 2016, 10:32 PM   #7497
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Photos of the completed 151 East 78th St in New York
http://www.ppapc.com/portfolio/residential-development/

Old June 22nd, 2016, 03:15 AM   #7498
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
[CENTER]Photos of the completed 151 East 78th St in New York
http://www.ppapc.com/portfolio/residential-development/

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

Hed_Kandi liked this post
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 03:22 AM   #7499
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Old June 22nd, 2016, 03:09 PM   #7500
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper