daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2016, 11:03 PM   #7601
Cyaxares
BANNED

Likes (Received): 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by doguorsi2 View Post
Thanks for posting, I guess but it is truly disgusting. It is actually beyond disgusting that I have no words to describe how horrible it is.
Bad attempt at trolling. You're way too obvious.

Last edited by Cyaxares; July 12th, 2016 at 12:24 AM.
Cyaxares no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #7602
Cyaxares
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hawk_ View Post
Wedding Restaurant - Kerman, Iran (Built 2012)

https://liubov-kvashnina-bckh.square...ng-restaurant/
Looks great!

reti32 liked this post
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:16 PM   #7603
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5144

Quote:
Thanks for posting, I guess but it is truly disgusting. It is actually beyond disgusting that I have no words to describe how horrible it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyaxares View Post
opinion
Nah, it is objectively kitsch.

I can't understand why some of you feel forced to think absolutely everything built in your country or near your country has to be good architecture and everything built in countries you do not like is bad. I can accept many buildings in my country are horrible and disgusting, won't deny that, and I know many other regular posters of this thread think the same.

Notice there's a big difference between good architecture, and architecture you like. Also a great difference between bad architecture and architecture you dislike.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #7604
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57902

Indeed, it's completely flawed. Not even a proper attempt, just a fail. Sorry.

Jeez, it's not that hard, learn the basics and master them, dammit!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

doguorsi2 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:40 PM   #7605
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry2015 View Post
Germans tasteful? That`s a novelty....If we in Holland find something grey,boring or bourgeois we say it is "Duits"...

And kitch? Their king Ludwig invented it!
Please keep your xenophobia to yourself and spare us of your useless existance. Thanks!

Tiaren, doguorsi2 liked this post
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:44 PM   #7606
Tolbert

The first ones are mc mansions, and are indeed not typical for germany but of course still exist. The latter ones are just of "mediterranean stile" which reached some polularity during the early 2000's. One could find them beautifull or not but they are'nt bad examples at all.
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:57 PM   #7607
Tolbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Indeed, it's completely flawed. Not even a proper attempt, just a fail. Sorry.

Jeez, it's not that hard, learn the basics and master them, dammit!
Erbse, you're right, this is not a good example, but your wrong if you make the attempt to presume classical greek architecture to the design. Its more referring to the iranian architecture, which has greek influence in the details but is of different proportions

http://festivalofarts.com/architectu...afc9752-me.jpg

http://festivalofarts.com/architectu...2d12f5b-me.jpg

http://www.iranreview.org/file/cms/i...es/3321_69.jpg

http://cbw.ge/wp-content/uploads/201...lla-Tehran.png

Cyaxares liked this post

Last edited by Tolbert; July 12th, 2016 at 12:45 AM.
Old July 12th, 2016, 12:00 AM   #7608
Cyaxares
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
Nah, it is objectively kitsch.

I can't understand why some of you feel forced to think absolutely everything built in your country or near your country has to be good architecture and everything built in countries you do not like is bad. I can accept many buildings in my country are horrible and disgusting, won't deny that, and I know many other regular posters of this thread think the same.

Notice there's a big difference between good architecture, and architecture you like. Also a great difference between bad architecture and architecture you dislike.
Nobody said it is classical architecture, so you can not judge it as classical architecture. Just because someone thought it is and therefore posted it here, doesn't make it classical. Therefore, in this specific case, the building can not be compared to other new buildings in classical architectural style. It is in an entirely different category. Furthermore, the section I highlighted in your post is also applicable to him.

I appreciate your explanation though and agree on everything else you've pointed out in your objective and informative post.

Last edited by Cyaxares; July 12th, 2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old July 12th, 2016, 12:19 AM   #7609
Cyaxares
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
No offense, but it's actually the exact other way around. It's Western countries, especially the UK and US (with some renown traditional architecture schools) but also the Netherlands and Germany that have the most tasteful, classically inspired architects and architecture. Not every project in Eastern Europe is of bad taste (there are indeed some very nice ones, especially faithful reconstructions) but I'd argue most of them are, disregarding classical harmony and conventions completely, as long as there is enough stucco and putti and gold. We had some discussions about this in this and the predecessor thread. In German there is even a word for that kind of architecture: "Russenkitsch" The Kiev examples on this page are a prime example.
I am sorry, but I don't agree. I think the posts from Eastern European countries are very good, with a few exceptions.

On the other hand, there have been plenty of mediocre building postings from Western-Europe that received a lot of upvotes, which I found very surprising. Example (Dusseldorf);

How is this more classical or authentic than the buildings constructed in EE? Maybe I am overlooking some technical things, but I have seen and lived in plenty of cities with classical architecture around the world, and this sure as hell doesn't look classical to me.

Raf124 liked this post
Old July 12th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #7610
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 994

@Tolbert: I won't answer you here because I don't want to ruin this thread for Tiaren (or anyone else) again, but if you want to discuss this further you can pm me.

Tolbert liked this post
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 12:51 AM   #7611
Tolbert

Quote:
I am sorry, but I don't agree. I think the posts from Eastern European countries are very good, with a few exceptions.

On the other hand, there have been plenty of mediocre building postings from Western-Europe that received a lot of upvotes, which I found very surprising. Example (Dusseldorf);

How is this more classical or authentic than the buildings constructed in EE? Maybe I am overlooking some technical things, but I have seen and lived in plenty of cities with classical architecture around the world, and this sure as hell doesn't look classical to me.
This Cyaxares, is a very beautifull example of early modernism inspired architecture you find throughought europe and is absolutely flawless!

Tiaren, TM_Germany, erbse, doguorsi2, JMGA196 liked this post
Old July 12th, 2016, 12:54 AM   #7612
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

We have so many of those in Turkey. Especially in Istanbul and Izmir.
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 12:59 AM   #7613
Utente davvero.
Errare humanum est

Likes (Received): 1339

Neocolonial house in Paraty, Brazil:

More details: http://casa.abril.com.br/casas-apart...oes-coloniais/
"Eu acho que você só tem de usar seus olhos para ver o que quero dizer. É um estilo de arquitetura que surgiu colocando a função, a utilidade e os efeitos de curto prazo no lugar do povoamento, da permanência e da moradia. A arquitetura moderna é um tipo de 'falta de lar', uma profanação à morada humana."

— Sir Roger Vernon Scruton, filósofo britânico.

Last edited by Utente davvero.; June 28th, 2017 at 09:09 PM.
Utente davvero. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 02:41 AM   #7614
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
It was already mentioned in this thread...but just because you or I like something, it doesn't mean it is objectively good (classical) architecture. There are actually rules and order to classical architecture. Since antiquity. To it's proportion, composition, decoration etc. These conventions stayed in it's very core true throughout the ages in Greek, Roman, romanesque, gothic, renaissance, baroque, neoclassicism, historicism, art nouveau, art deco etc. architecture styles. Examples like this one you said you like...

...completely disregard these conventions in many ways.

We've had this many times in this thread, so please excuse me, if I'm too weary to dissect in detail what's wrong with this building according to classical architecture conventions.

Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 02:50 AM   #7615
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

Quote:
How is this more classical or authentic than the buildings constructed in EE?
Yilmaz Guney, the ones in EE are mostly cheap knockoffs and they have no respect to classical proportions and building techniques. On the other hand the ones in Germany are the examples of mostly minimalist early modernism and they respect the ideology of classical architecture way more than the kitsch eye sores in EE. So it is not always about a pediment or a balustrade. Sometimes, the ideology behind a design determines its classification. The ones in EE are not even classical. They are just cheap plaster-made exterior lifts on concrete. Nothing more.

I don't think you understand any of that due to your lack of knowledge in this matter. Perhaps, you should consider reading a few books about classicism instead of wasting your time on Kurdish ultra-nationalism in various threads.

Tolbert, JMGA196 liked this post
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #7616
Alexenergy

Likes (Received): 1044

Del'Arte Residences, St-Petersburg, Russia

[/
Old July 12th, 2016, 03:39 PM   #7617
Cyaxares
BANNED

Quote:
Perhaps, you should consider reading a few books about classicism instead of wasting your time on ultra-nationalism in various threads.
And that comes from a Turk who has posted many, many insulting ultra-nationalist statements on this forum (e.g. ''Kurds are terrorists''). Perhaps you should read a book on the Armenian Genocide and your nation's history regarding its other minorities before making such ignorant statements in the future .

Also typical that you call me a nationalist, while it was you who turned this discussion into a political one .
Old July 12th, 2016, 04:01 PM   #7618
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57902

Get out with the politics! We have skybars and the PM feature for this stuff. Thanks!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Cyaxares liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #7619
midi81

Likes (Received): 1513

New Market hall in Moscow, 1998. Mix of postmodern and traditional russian style?

Cyaxares, Aster de Gatîne, erbse liked this post
midi81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #7620
Weissenberg
Grid or Riot

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
We have so many of those in Turkey. Especially in Istanbul and Izmir.
That's possible, early modernism was fairly popular throughtout Central Europe as well as the Balkans, so it wouldn't surprise me if this specific historal style was a common sight in various Turkish cities. When it comes to a variety of recent projects in Eastern Europe that are supposed to be "traditional", they're mostly out of proportions. There's a number of rules set in the antiquity and these rules define traditional (European) architecture. When I look at various Eastern European projects I can't help myself but to get the idea that the architects responsible for such projects either aren't aware of said rules or decided to ignore them altogether.

Last edited by Weissenberg; July 12th, 2016 at 09:52 PM.
Weissenberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, neo-urban plan, new urbanism, stipson