daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #1
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2268

ABU DHABI | Masdar City

[email protected] Vyonyx (Illustrator) and Foster + Partners (Architect)

About Masdar City
The first project as a result of the Masdar Initiative is a new 6 million square meter sustainable development that uses the traditional planning principals of a walled
city, together with existing technologies to achieve a zero carbon and zero waste community. Masterplanned by Foster + Partners and launched today at Cityscape
Abu Dhabi, the initiative has been driven by the Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company, and will be a centre for the development of new ideas for energy production.
Masdar responds to the urban identity of Abu Dhabi while offering a sustainable urban blueprint for the future.

It is an ambitious project that will attract the highest levels of international expertise and commerce, providing a mixed-use, high-density city. The exciting
programme includes a new university, the Headquarters for Abu Dhabi’s Future Energy Company, special economic zones and an Innovation Center. The principle of
the Masdar development is a dense walled city to be constructed in an energy efficient two-stage phasing that relies on the creation of a large photovoltaic power
plant, which later becomes the site for the cities second phase, allowing for urban growth yet avoiding low density sprawl.

Strategically located for Abu Dhabi’s principal transport infrastructure, Masdar will be linked to surrounding communities as well as the centre of Abu Dhabi and the
international airport by a network of existing road and new rail and public transport routes. Rooted in a zero carbon ambition, the city itself is car free. With a
maximum distance of 200m to the nearest transport link and amenities, the compact network of streets encourages walking and is complemented by a personalised
rapid transport system. The shaded walkways and narrow streets will create a pedestrian friendly environment in the context of Abu Dhabi’s extreme climate. It
also articulates the tightly planned, compact nature of traditional walled cities. With expansion carefully planned, the surrounding land will contain wind, photovoltaic
farms, research fields and plantations, so that the city will be entirely self-sustaining.

View all the renderings in HIGH RESOLUTION (Page 4)

Masdar Headquarter
Masdar Headquarters is designed by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture and is located at the centre of Masdar City. The headquarters will be the world’s first
large-scale, mixed-use “positive energy” building, producing more energy than it consumes. Design plans for the headquarters include numerous systems that will
generate a surplus of the building’s energy, eliminate carbon emissions and reduce liquid and solid waste. The complex will utilize sustainable materials and feature
integrated wind turbines, outdoor air quality monitors and one of the world’s largest building-integrated solar energy arrays. Compared with typical mixed-use
buildings of the same size, the Masdar Headquarters will reduce its water consumption by 70 percent.

In addition to being the first mixed-use net positive energy building in the world, AS+GG’s Masdar Headquarters will:
· Be the lowest energy consumer per square meter for a modern class A office building in an extremely hot and humid climate
· Feature one of the world’s largest building-integrated photovoltaic arrays
· Employ the largest solar thermal driven cooling and dehumidification system – the world’s lowest impact active building conditioning system
· Be the first building in history to generate power and protect workers during the construction process through a staged construction of the roof prior to the rest
of the complex.

[IMG]http://i46.************/s1q0xh.jpg[/IMG]
[email protected] Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill (Architect)

[IMG]http://i48.************/b4esef.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/drd1ll.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/331khg3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/o5qr.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/2cghhtl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/2nk1cfp.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/2v7w2o6.jpg[/IMG]

Masdar Eco City Centre
At the center of Masdar we find Masdar Eco City Centre. Giant umbrellas, with a design based on the principles of sunflowers, will provide moveable shade in the
day, store heat, then close and release the heat at night. The ‘sunflower umbrellas’ are one aspect of the winning design by the international practice Laboratory
for Visionary Architecture [LAVA]. The design for the city centre, includes a plaza, five-star hotel, long stay hotel, a convention centre and entertainment complex
and retail facilities.

The solar powered ‘sunflower’ umbrellas capture the sun’s rays during the day, fold at night releasing the stored heat, and open again the next day. They follow
the projection of the sun to provide continuous shade during the day and can be used anywhere in the world including deserts.

[IMG]http://i56.************/2lchts.jpg[/IMG]
[email protected] Atelier Illume (Illustrator) and LAVA (Architect)

[IMG]http://i52.************/23raeza.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.************/35lggtw.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.************/9kqko3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i53.************/r8ij6a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.************/10f9r1d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.************/34tecd2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.************/2e0p6jc.jpg[/IMG]
[email protected] MIR (Illustrator) and (Illustrator) and LAVA (Architect)

[IMG]http://i55.************/2hec789.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.************/zx7j2v.jpg[/IMG]

Eroha liked this post

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; January 11th, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Masdar Institute of Science And Technology

Masdar Institute of Science and Technology will be built in four stages, phase one was completed in September 2010. The other parts of this university campus
will be completed in 2011, 2012 and 2014.

Eroha liked this post

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; January 11th, 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #3
teddybear
City Reformist

Likes (Received): 490

wow. nice. I like it, like an environmentally friendly oasis in desert. nice design too.
Old December 13th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #4
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

really futuristic, nice details
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

Make it happen
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

editing

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; January 11th, 2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old December 13th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #7
Adam2707

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Make it happen
Don't worry about that. This IS happening....
Thanks for making this thread Ŝróndeimr, was going to do it myself a few weeks back but I forgot about it. Loads of new renders.

Picture from December 10th

The structure in front is a 'Beam Down Solar Heat Concentration' that will provide electricity to Masdar. The buildings/cranes behind are all part of the development.

Adam2707 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #8
Adam2707

Some video's for those that are interested.

Link
Old December 13th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #9
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam2707 View Post
Thanks for making this thread Ŝróndeimr, was going to do it myself a few weeks back but I forgot about it. Loads of new renders.

Picture from December 10th

The structure in front is a 'Beam Down Solar Heat Concentration' that will provide electricity to Masdar. The buildings/cranes behind are all part of the development.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9...2102808429.jpg
Actually i searched for a thread about Masdar in the section several months back, and was surprised i didn't find any. Thought about making one, but didn't have many renderings. But since i found lots of great renders now i didn't hesitate making one. No good project thread without good renderings!

Thanks for the construction image, was searching for one yesterday but could not find any! I hope our forumers near do provide some updates from the construction site. Cool videos btw, haven't seen any of them before!
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #10
Adam2707

Really good recent video of Masdar City. More done than I expected.

Old December 14th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #11
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18212

Japanese bank in UAE green city financing talks
10 November 2009

ABU DHABI, Nov 10 (Reuters) - Japanese Bank for International Coooperation is in talks to finance renewable energy projects in a new $15 billion carbon-neutral city in Abu Dhabi, a company executive said on Tuesday.

"We are currently running a feasibility study for financing Masdar's renewable energy projects," Moriyuki Aida, the bank's chief representative in Dubai told Reuters.

Masdar was set up by the Abu Dhabi government in the United Arab Emirates to develop sustainable and clean energy.

It aims to put the emirate of Abu Dhabi, holder of 90 percent of the United Arab Emirate's oil reserves, at the forefront of the future energy industry.

Speaking on the sidelines of a conference organised by MEED, Aida said projects under discussion included solar and wind.

Masdar is investing $15 billion to build the world's first carbon-neutral, zero waste city and is developing various alternative energy projects.

Abu Dhabi is the capital of the United Arab Emirates, the world's third-largest oil exporter, and has been spending billions of dollars developing its infrastructure as it looks to diversify its economy away from hydrocarbons.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #12
midotoria
مصر ام الدنيا

Likes (Received): 137

great project congrats abu dhabi

midotoria no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #13
Sister Ray
Just like Sister Ray said

Likes (Received): 487

Wow! This looks incredible. I love it.
Sister Ray no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:58 PM   #14
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Reading some breaking news in a Norwegian newspaper. Cannot find a English article about it yet.

It sais Masdar City has been cancelled, can anyone confirm this?

In detail it sais that they will go ahead with one small commercial part of the project, but it won't be a zero carbon and zero waste project anymore, the technology is just not there yet. The financial situation is been blamed the most. Financing the project is not a problem, but few people have any interest in moving into the city as it is now.

Sad news...

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; December 23rd, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:30 PM   #15
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Teknisk Ukeblad article (Norwegian)
Cancel gigantic environmental project
- The carbon neutral city of Masdar City will not be built, said the Norwegian Embassy in Abu Dhabi.

Sheikhdom Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates would invest 22 billion to build Masdar City. The city, which was designed by the renowned British architect Lord Norman Foster, was driven solely by energy from solar, wind and waste.

Sun, wind and waste
82 percent of energy needs should be collected from solar energy, one percent from wind power and the remaining 17 percent would come from the composted food waste.

The city should be free of cars, and water consumption would be half of current consumption in Abu Dhabi. The first reason the work of the new Masdar City commenced in February, and it should have been completed in 2016.

But now, reports the Norwegian Embassy in Abu Dhabi that the company Masdar finally collected by the financial realities and that it will not be set aside 20-22 billion as previously announced.

- The plans shelved
In a letter to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Petroleum and Energy writes Special Envoy Gunnar Gjerde that one now sees that it will be possible to get 50 000 people to settle in the city in the wake of the financial crisis.

- In the future it might happen, but not by 2016. There is thus a slower development pace of Masdar city, and one concentrating now on development of the commercial section, it says in the letter.

Gjerde also affirm that the city will not be carbon neutral.

- They have also come to realize that the city will not be able to be carb-neutral. There is simply no technology that allows it. Based on this insight change, therefore the strategy, and would rather focus on selected technologies and do not go as wide as previously thought. One thinks also that the technologies to be applied in Abu Dhabi in general, and not just isolated to Masdar city, he writes.

Huge construction project
The project is now shelved had unusual dimensions. Six square miles of desert sand 30 kilometer outside the city of Abu Dhabi would be the construction site the next six years.

The city was 50 000 people and 1,500 small businesses and large multinational corporations to keep, and not from any point in the city should be more than 200 feet to a station for electric trains. The large energy company Masdar would also use CO2 capture as compensation for the CO2 emissions that occurred during the construction. In his speech writing Gjerde that there are many opportunities for Norwegian companies in renewable energy in Abu Dhabi.

But it may still be some opportunities in smart solutions for electricity networks, energy efficiency, solar cell production and carbon capture.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:33 PM   #16
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

I noticed that this project is just for energy efficiency, it says nothing about other forms of sustainability. this project looks like it would require extreme amounts of water for example, to maintain its lush exterior. Unless the ciy is situated in an oasis, that doesn't sound sustainable to me.
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:38 PM   #17
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

"water consumption would be half of current consumption in Abu Dhabi."
Old December 25th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #18
anaiptol

Likes (Received): 3

Asia at it's best.
Old December 25th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #19