daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #41
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5838

The pictures are breathtaking. Not only the concept is ground breaking but the realisation in aesthetic and architectural terms is as well. In my opinion this beats any project in Dubai by far. Finally superior architecture in the middle east which excels not only in design but also in function. I hope people involved in other projects in the Emirates and beyond realize eventually that huge glass facades might not be the utmost clever thing to do in a desert climate...

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #42
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2437

This project is not cancelled Infact i signed off on some major piling work taking place (Cant talk about it in detail though) actually shouldnt say anything at all , but no this is not cancelled !
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #43
(fabrizio)

Likes (Received): 3096

This is the project I'd rush to see whenever I'll be able to hop on an Etihad jet. Seriously, the potential feedback on the entire world of construction are immense. I truly hope this project with go on and get completed as it was originally designed.
(fabrizio) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #44
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5838

Yeah, its like a big playground for new technologies, especially for hot arid desert climates, but not exclusively and I am not even talking about the university there yet.
Old February 21st, 2010, 01:44 AM   #45
BigUrban
BANNED

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam2707 View Post
Don't worry about that. This IS happening....
Thanks for making this thread Þróndeimr, was going to do it myself a few weeks back but I forgot about it. Loads of new renders.

Picture from December 10th

The structure in front is a 'Beam Down Solar Heat Concentration' that will provide electricity to Masdar. The buildings/cranes behind are all part of the development.

Very impresivee!! OMG
BigUrban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 02:30 AM   #46
sam_18

Likes (Received): 82

we want a metro a metro rail in Abu Dhabi linked to Dubai Metro and to other cities in the UAE any plans to develop onee ?????

FaceBoOksam sweden

♩ ♪

I do not think much, I do not think often, but when I think, I think of you!
sam_18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:08 AM   #47
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

Abu Dhabi Metro's first line will be operational by 2015 and the UAE is planning a high speed railway sytem and the contract is expected to be awarded late this year or early next year.
Dubaiiscool:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 08:01 AM   #48
Antonio227
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3074

Very futuristic and impressive.

In your face, Norwegian ambassador!
Antonio227 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:24 PM   #49
Muhtar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam2707 View Post

Welcome to the city of the 22th century

clean energy
no waste
electric vehicles without drivers
Muhtar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #50
raymay
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Wow this must be technological the most advanced city of the world.

And the first ecological town of the world
raymay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #51
UAE'er

quick fact: MASDAR is even applying sustainability to the process of building Masdar City. the main contractor (Al Jaber) is obligated to use recycled materials whenever the alternative is available, must use electrical vehicles for light transportation, and all the building materials waste must be recycled / reused.
UAE'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #52
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2264

From http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=585191&page=8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisian Girl View Post
Masdar plans to dig deep for clean energy

The city is expected to need 12,000 cubic metres of water a day when it's completed, Ameenah Al Kulaib, manager of Masdar's water department, said at a conference last week.

# Bloomberg | Published: 00:00 April 5, 2010

Abu Dhabi: Masdar, Abu Dhabi's renewable energy company, plans to drill 5,000-metre-deep wells in search of water hot enough to propel power generators for a zero-carbon city, according to an official at CH2M Hill, consultant to Masdar.

"We want the temperature to be above 100 degrees Celsius," Jay Witherspoon, operations director and technology leader, said in a phone interview from Abu Dhabi. "The thermal energy can offset the electrical energy needed to cool the city."

At the level underground water is found in Abu Dhabi — 12 metres — the temperature of the water averages 30 degrees Celsius, which is not sufficient, according to Witherspoon. At 100 degrees or above, the heat from the water can be monetised.

The green development known as Masdar City is being built in Abu Dhabi, which holds more than 7 per cent of the world's oil reserves and is the fourth-largest member of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries.

The city is expected to need 12,000 cubic metres of water a day when it's completed, Ameenah Al Kulaib, manager of Masdar's water department, said at a conference last week.

Although the first phase won't be ready until 2013, the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology has started operations on-site and is using water from Abu Dhabi's grid, Al Kulaib said. Carbon emissions from this water use are being tracked and ways of offsetting them are being studied, she said.

"Our goal is to be carbon-neutral by the time the city is built out," Witherspoon said.

>> GulfNews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Ghost View Post
http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...te-city-future

good overveiw article on the project
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #53
UAE'er

Quote:
Masdar plans to dig deep for clean energy
I guess they Started Digging Already
the drilling rig is enormous, I would estimate it at 110 meter high.

Old April 29th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #54
UAE'er

construction update: 28th April

Old April 29th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #55
UAE'er

the solar-powered LED lighting poles are already installed and operating around masdar city, am really amazed how effective they are. the picture was taken during a sand storm, so visibility was a reduced, but i would say the lighting was around 70% of a traditional pole, and more than enough for minor and neighbourhood roads.

Old April 29th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #56
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

wow, this is great! Thanks for the pictures, and keep updating as progress continues!
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #57
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

From http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=161
Quote:
Show features Masdar City as ‘role model for the world’

James Reinl | Last Updated: May 26. 2010 12:24AM UAE / May 25. 2010 8:24PM GMT

[IMG]http://i48.************/2ufdny8.jpg[/IMG]
Animation and rendering of the Masdar headquarters in Abu Dhabi. The centrepiece of Masdar City is on display at the Smithsonian Institution’s Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York City. Michael Falco for The National

NEW YORK // The central building in Abu Dhabi’s environmentally friendly city is being showcased at one of Manhattan’s top design museums, with features ranging from one of the world’s largest solar panels to water-free urinals.

The Masdar headquarters, the seven-storey centrepiece of Masdar City, is on display at the Smithsonian Institution’s Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum as part of the 2010 National Design Triennial, which runs until January 9.

The award-winning design from the Chicago-based firm Adrian Smith & Gordon Gill Architecture, is one of 134 projects from 44 countries selected for an exhibition of ideas that promote green living and social equality.

“Being represented in this exhibit at the Smithsonian is a great thing for our firm, for Masdar and for the cause of sustainable architecture around the globe,” said Gordon Gill, one of the design firm’s founders and partners.

The wall-mounted exhibit features a video presentation that describes Masdar City as a “role model for the world”.

The community is being built on the outskirts of the capital and will be home to 40,000 people living in the world’s first waste-free and carbon-neutral community.

Visitors learn how the headquarters will rank among the world’s most sustainable buildings when it is completed later this year, thanks to an array of solar panels on its roof.

Drawing inspiration from the wind towers of Dubai’s downtown Bastakiya district, the design features 11 towering cones which allow daylight into the building and naturally ventilate the interior by drawing warm air upwards to be carried away by the breeze.

Once completed, the building will host executives from the Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company, developers of Masdar City, and the secretariat of the International Renewable Energy Agency, a new international body that will promote green power in developing countries.

Cara McCarty, a curator for the exhibition, named Why Design Now?, said the museum had chosen projects that demonstrate a “revolution taking place within all areas of design”, in which architects are addressing some of the environmental problems facing mankind.

“The self-contained, sustainable Masdar City project applies new approaches to architecture and engineering on an urban scale,” she said, adding that the “vast experiment” advances the idea of a waste-free, carbon city powered by renewable energy. >> The National
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #58
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Awesome renderings of Masdar Headquarters!

[IMG]http://i46.************/s1q0xh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/b4esef.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/drd1ll.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/331khg3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/o5qr.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Þróndeimr; June 2nd, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #59
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

[IMG]http://i46.************/2cghhtl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/2nk1cfp.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/2v7w2o6.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 31st, 2010, 02:10 AM   #60
OldWorldResident

Likes (Received): 9

The best project of the middle east since the Hanging Gardens of Babylon!

I'll definitely enjoy following this thread.
OldWorldResident no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, uae