daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #21
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

It's just that them british have too many speed limit signs. Most countries have standard speed limits that aren't posted.

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #22
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

There are no more speed limit signs than anywhere else i've seen in Europe, and of course there are standards, for example, unless posted, a road with street lamps has a 50km/h speed limit, so on.

Keber, thank-you for your explanation.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #23
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19402

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
of course there are standards, for example, unless posted, a road with street lamps has a 50km/h speed limit
wtf
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #24
DanielFigFoz

I know it's strange, but it's a standard.
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #25
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

In what country is that a standard?? In Denmark, the speed limit is 50 when there's a town limit sign. 80 when there's not and a 130 when there's a motorway sign.
Old December 24th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #26
DanielFigFoz

UK, Portugal also has a similar rule.
Old December 24th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #27
Oponopono

Likes (Received): 1615

Quote:
UK, Portugal also has a similar rule.
That is not true on what regards to Portugal.

Speed limits are defined by traffic inside town limits, outside town limits, motor-vehicle reserved roads and highways. The Portuguese Código da Estrada is here. On page 5 is a table with the applicable speed limits by type of way and vehicle. Exceptions are allowed inside towns for urban motor reserved and highways, which may have a limit of 80km/h instead of the 50km/h in any other urban areas.
Oponopono no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #28
DanielFigFoz

mmm, fair enough
Old December 25th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #29
joe1024

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Northern road- Khartoum-El multakah-Diba-

Length:300 km

Cost: 40 millions dollar

Contractor: Sudanese Zadna and Heglig.
Sorry, but this must be a typo ? The amount should probably be $400M, not $40M, right ? Otherwise it would be just $0.13M per 1 km, which is absolutely ridiculous.

It seems ridiculously low even at $400M, since it would still be just $1.3M per 1 km.

As an example, to what I`m comparing it, is the D3 highway (Zilina Straoz-Brodno) in Slovakia, which is going to cost $466M (269M EUR+VAT) for 6,1 km. Yes, six kilometers.

I know, the terrain is incomparable (we have to build a 3.9km bridge and a 2.2 km tunnel) and we will build 2 lanes (D26,5), but it`s $76M per 1 km.

So, I hope you understand my confusion, when I see the numbers like $0.13M per 1 km. Heck, even at $4.000M it would be a good price ($13M per km is darn cheap), but $40M ? ...
joe1024 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #30
marki
Moon Transit

Likes (Received): 700

The pictures and the roads look impressive.

I travelled across Sudan in 1995 and there were no such roads. I crossed from Egypt via boat to Wadi Halfa. The road across the Nubian desert follows the Nile to Ad-Dabbah and was largely piste, then the remainder across the Baiyuda desert is mostly sandy tracks that the bus drivers just seemed to know which one to use.

Any plans to complete the road from Wadi Halfa to Abu Simbel or Aswan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMiros View Post
In addition to Khartoum, it is difficult to find in other cities 2x2 roads, few kilometers roads have 2x2 in Port Sudan, and that's all.
Outside of Khartoum its hard to find roads that are even 'made' (ie gravel) let alone sealed, and houses made of anything other than mud brick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
I have to admit, I too thought that Sudan was just a bunch of small villages in the middle of nowhere. I know the media are very good in showing just one side of the story (even if they let you think otherwise) so I should have known.
Well, compared to Egypt, Sudan does seem like small villages in the middle of nowhere once you leave Khartoum.

But thats part of what makes going there worthwhile, you get away from the tourist-mecca that is Egypt and find that you are the only visitor in the town and one of a few intrepid travellers in the country.

Its true, the media are very good in showing just one side of the story, and exaggerate to make the story more relevant. The travel advisories like to exaggerate even more. However, even back in 1995 the Dafur conflict was well established. I was unable to cross to Kenya and instead flew to Ethiopia and I believe the Kanya and Chad borders still remain closed. Generally, transport to troubled and risky areas becomes difficult or near impossible because operators/drivers dont want to place themselves or their vehicles at risk. The only people who try to get to these areas anyway are military, NGOs and reporters anyway who organise their own transport take on those risks.

Quote:
Speed limits are not posted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
For less developed countries this is pretty normal thing. For instance I don't remember a single speed limit sign from Cambodia or Cuba.
Yes, anyone whose travelled to half the worlds less developed countries knows that speed limits are generally unknown. Youre lucky of u can reach 50km/h on a sandy track or on a Khartoum Street. And the police/military have other problems on their mind, so someone speeding at 160km/h on the brand new, empty and straight road to Merowe would be the least of their concern, unless they are in need of a small 'tip'. Besides theres not many vehicles that seem to be able to do more than 60km/h anyway, and those that do are probably government officals and so on.

Its not good to drive at speed because the temperature in Khartoum is often over 45 celsius, so the engine will overheat if the oil and coolant isnt good and the a/c on, notice how many of the images were taken in the early morning or late afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
Well it's good China is investing here in Sudan (of course there is a reason for that, because even China is not giving freeways away for free )
China isnt doing it out of the goodness of its heart. Theres something in it for them. I think its oil and minerals in exchange.
marki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #31
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber
For less developed countries this is pretty normal thing. For instance I don't remember a single speed limit sign from Cambodia or Cuba.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
Yes, anyone whose travelled to half the worlds less developed countries knows that speed limits are generally unknown. Youre lucky of u can reach 50km/h on a sandy track or on a Khartoum Street. And the police/military have other problems on their mind, so someone speeding at 160km/h on the brand new, empty and straight road to Merowe would be the least of their concern, unless they are in need of a small 'tip'. Besides theres not many vehicles that seem to be able to do more than 60km/h anyway, and those that do are probably government officals and so on.
I have spotted speed signs in Cambodia, Cuba, Laos and Vietnam. But there are not a lot of cars that can make that speed and there is indeed not a single sign that those limits were actually enforced.
Old December 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #32
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19402

Quote:
Well, compared to Egypt, Sudan does seem like small villages in the middle of nowhere once you leave Khartoum.
Well, Egypt is very urbanized. Almost all of it's population is cramped in the Nile River valley and Nile delta. Sudan has no such limitations apparently. If I look at Khartoum, most of the homes there seems to be unconventional anyway (no "western" homes made of bricks or wood). I guess Sudan vs Egypt is still like a light year's difference.

Still, Khartoum has a metropolitan area of 8 million people. But there aren't many organized cities outside the Khartoum metro. I think that's similar to Ethiopia; one big city, and the rest is predominantly rural.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #33
soulsoul

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1024 View Post
Sorry, but this must be a typo ? The amount should probably be $400M, not $40M, right ? Otherwise it would be just $0.13M per 1 km, which is absolutely ridiculous.

It seems ridiculously low even at $400M, since it would still be just $1.3M per 1 km.

As an example, to what I`m comparing it, is the D3 highway (Zilina Straoz-Brodno) in Slovakia, which is going to cost $466M (269M EUR+VAT) for 6,1 km. Yes, six kilometers.

I know, the terrain is incomparable (we have to build a 3.9km bridge and a 2.2 km tunnel) and we will build 2 lanes (D26,5), but it`s $76M per 1 km.

So, I hope you understand my confusion, when I see the numbers like $0.13M per 1 km. Heck, even at $4.000M it would be a good price ($13M per km is darn cheap), but $40M ? ...
Hi, this road known also as sharyan el shimal already existed, but it was upgraded with mostly new asphalt, not build from zero.
The price is low because the road are narrow, you can look at the picture, and of course accident are more likely to produce.
But the effects of the new roads are incredible, making for example a Khartoum-Dongola trip in 6 hours instead of 2 days
soulsoul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #34
soulsoul

Quote:
The pictures and the roads look impressive.

I travelled across Sudan in 1995 and there were no such roads. I crossed from Egypt via boat to Wadi Halfa. The road across the Nubian desert follows the Nile to Ad-Dabbah and was largely piste, then the remainder across the Baiyuda desert is mostly sandy tracks that the bus drivers just seemed to know which one to use.

Any plans to complete the road from Wadi Halfa to Abu Simbel or Aswan?
The road between halfa and dongola is just finished but not yet open, maybe in few month.
There is a last batch of 27 km road were work started last week connecting sudan to egypt.
Another road connecting with egypt but at the red sea cost is finished, i dont know when it will be open.
Old December 25th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #35
soulsoul

By the way, tens of bridge are beeing/were built in recent years

Halfaia bridge

Contractor:h
Turkish tesem compagny ttp://www.tesem.com.tr/news.asp?k=A&h=7

Length:910 m

Width: 27 m

Cost:41millions dollar

Work: Finish early 2010

[IMG]http://i45.************/2yljzt1.jpg[/IMG]

Shendi-Matama-Bridge

Contractor:h

Length:600 m

Width: 20.5 m

Cost:

Work: Finished in june 2009

Last edited by soulsoul; December 25th, 2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old December 25th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #36
soulsoul

Road linking Darfur states are also beeing built...

Western road-Linking Khartoum to Darfur states:

Length: 1200 km

Progress: Construction started

Global Cost:650 millions dollar-Chinese loan

El Obeid- Al nuhud section finished-206 km-

El Nuhud-Um Kadada section-221 km-Construction started in december 2009-Cost 122 millions dollar

Um Kadada-El Fasher section-168 km-96 millions dollars- Work started

Zalenji-El Geneinah section- 175km- 120 millions dollars

Contractor: All are Chinese firms

Old December 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #37
soulsoul

In South Kurdufan states

Kadugli - Lagawa road

Length:33 km

Cost: 5.5 millions dollar

Contractor:Chinese Sico Compani

Progress: In construction-Completed in mid-2010

Kadugli -Dilling (Daleng) road

Length:76 km

Cost: ?

Contractor:Chinese

Progress: In construction-At least 50 km completed on june 2009

Lagowa -Abyei road

Length: 50km

Old December 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #38
soulsoul

Beside the khartoum 2*2 highway, the only road i know there is porject to double is the Khartoum-Wad Medani strategic road, a over crowded road known as the road of death, as i say the road in sudan are good quality but too narrow
I dont know where the project is now, but an indian compagny was selected

Khartoum - Wad Medani road

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 25th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #39
soulsoul

The new dongola bridge opened in august 2009

Old December 25th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #40
soulsoul

A 130 km khartoum ring road is projected, but i dont have much more info

Some 2*2 highway in Khartoum

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by soulsoul; December 25th, 2009 at 11:58 PM.