daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #181
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Likes (Received): 3752

Some recent updates from the much more extensive construction thread in the Manchester forum;

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post

Pictures of work continuing on the COMS Metrolink extension, next to the propsed City Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post

Guess what's arrived between Queen's Road and Monsall . . . ? :-

. . . the first little bit of rail ! :-

Zentral Park :-

I wonder at the moment whether the passenger footfall here will be very great in the first year or two? Anyway, it now has a nice green lawn and some very pretty trees :-

Not much happening yet at Newton Heath and Moston :-

But with all the construction work well under way, including the new Police HQ at Central Park, it may not be possible to get some of these views for very much longer :-

The doorway to the future ? :-

Quote:
Edge Lane tram stop now has a road carriageway either side of it, and the island platform and tracks will be in a new central reservation of Manchester Road, Droylsden. The 231 bus stop, centre left, is on Manor Road. The Eastbound tracks and island platform will occupy the space including the orange mesh material, the central lamp post and the now obsolete bus stop+shelter. The Westbound tracks will be this side of the red and white barriers. Behind the central lamp post, you can see the thicker white kerbing, where the new bus stop for Eastbound through services will be :-

The new line turning out from Trafford Bar, past the depot towards Chorlton :-

And coming back up via the grade separated junction towards Trafford Bar :-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymanic View Post
Well, JDR and future.architect have covered the Firswood/OT end, and apologiesforthedelay has got the St. Werburgh's end. Time for me to cover the in-between bits.

I got a dawn coach on Monday so I could spend a couple of hours in Manc - I hadn't slept, hadn't eaten, had a suitcase in tow and my camera had lost a fight with a Chinese takeaway over the weekend... nevertheless, I persisted!

Starting where apologies left off: St Werburgh's, eastbound. Rails stretching well into 3B and crossovers in place (won't those get in the way of the turn-off towards the airport?).

St. Werburgh's westbound. Cycle crossing clearly in view.

View from cycle path. Thanks to a hairy encounter with railway staff and the BTP in the Midlands a few weeks back, I was reluctant to get any nearer to the workers.

Between St. Werburgh's and the Chorlton stop, looking back where I came from.

Wilbraham Road bridge, looking south. Not much to see really, but it is tidy. The trees are much greener than last time. There's scaffolding on the bridge's south face - preparation work?

Northbound, overlooking the stop.

Brantingham Road: southbound (2), northbound (1).

Manchester Road, southbound. Not much to see at all!

...and nortbound.

On account of time constraints and being just a little too tired to carry on, I stopped here. I could faintly see a lift shaft and what looked like platform sections up at Firswood, so I was happy enough!

(Below is a zoom of that last shot - of course, future.architect's images [#3499] give a much clearer view)

Credit to all those who have posted images, info or even just words of support - it's always a joy to come back here!

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:59 PM   #182
MarkO

Likes (Received): 268

SURVIVING BRITIAN'S BUDGET CUTS

Inside info seems to confirm that the current Manchester Metrolink extensions (well some of them anyway) are due to survive todays UK Budget which is expected to see the harshest cuts to public funding since the Second World War!

Here's the article from Construction News:

Twelve transport schemes survive Treasury cuts

Twelve major Department for Transport schemes, initially approved for funding by the previous Labour government, have survived the coalition’s latest round of cuts.

The schemes re-approved by the government include the Luton-Dunstable guided busway, on which Bam Nuttall is undertaking the £90m main contract, and the Twin Sails Bridge project, which Hochtief is contracted to build, in Poole, Dorset.

Other projects, which were approved between January 2010 and the General Election, on the list are the £18m maintenance project on the Silver Jubilee Bridge, which links Runcorn and Widnes across the Mersey, the Tyne and Wear Metro and the £121m Manchester Metrolink upgrade.

The full list of projects is as follows:

Luton-Dunstable Busway (Luton)
A130/A13 Sadlers Farm Junction (Essex)
Tees Valley Bus Network Improvements (Tees Valley LAs)
Metrolink Extn - Ashton - E Didsbury (Greater Manchester)
Edge Lane / Eastern Approaches (Liverpool)
Bidston Moss Viaduct (M53 J1) Maintenance (Merseyside)
Poole Bridge (Poole)
A41 Expressway (Sandwell)
A65 QBC (Leeds)
Silver Jubilee Bridge Maintenance (Halton)
Tyne and Wear Metro
M1 J19 Catthorpe Viaduct Replacement

We'll post on here when the announcement is officially made in the next few hours.
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #183
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

This thread deserves a bump, So much has gone one in the last 6 weeks, its actualy quite shocking. Especialy after 15 years of false starts and cancelations.

Item 1 - Political developments

On the 4th of August, contractors for phase 3b where apointed. This means that construction will deffinately begin as phase 3a begins to wind down.

[IMG]http://i33.************/50ljbc.png[/IMG]

Phase 3b is the grey dotted lines on this map, the sold grey lines are 3a and are under construction.

Also notice the orange line which has re appeared on the map, this is the trafford centre, an out of town shopping centre about 5 miles from the city centre. This line was dropped from the phase 3 development but since phase 3 is now going ahead as planned, it seems that GMPTE (the local government department who are responsible for delivering Manchesters transport and the owners of the metrolink system) are keen to get this going again. As yet, nothing official has been said.

Item 2 - Improvement works

image hosted on flickr

The new Bombardier trams are now a common sight in the city centre although at the moment, they are most often seen on the mostly street running Eccles line. This is because there are issues with ride quality when they run on the Altrincham and Bury lines. The issue thought to stem from the wheel profile. GMPTE are currently trailing new wheels on one tram. If this works, the new wheels (actualy its just the tyres) will be rolled out across the fleet.

Metrolink are also in the process of instaling a new line of sight signaling system. This system means that the conventional railway signals will be removed and the trams will be able to run closer together as well as having greater flexibilty when there are large events in the city. The new system uses GPS transceivers fitted to the trams to allow the network controlers to see where each tram is. The system will also power a new passenger infomation sytem which will be much more accurate than the old one and have displays at every station.

The first of the displays was instaled last year but they have only been switched on in the last few weeks.

No information yet, but at least we know the time down to the second!

Item 3 - Construction Update

The South Manchester Line
This line has the most progress, so much in fact that now it is now rumoured to be open by chirstmas, this year! Its is quite amazing to see, the stations are looking alomost finisished, they all have the platforms in place, as well as the lifts, stairs and ramps. All what is needed now is to instal the platform furnature and landscaping.

The track has been finished for a few months, the only parts left to do is about 3 metres of track to connect it to the altincham line, this will be done on the next 3 sunday evenings/nights starting today.
The overhead line has been instaled on on about half of the lines length. Driver training/ testing is due to begin in september/ october.

st werberugs - the tempory terminus

crew rest room

platform, looks like they got bored building it.

slightly architectual looking lift and stairs structure

towards morrisons, did they not order enough masts?

Firswood, the wires are up, they end a few hundered metres beyond the platforms

almost finished

hole in the wall, obviously space for a future.arch What are they gonna do about that gas pipe tho?

towards kings road, you could amost drive a tram down here

These photos are from our new member- Rob793

Chorlton station. Originaly the site of a heavy rail station that closed in the 1960's. Re opening in December 2010?

Wires will probably be up by the end of the week

The new depot is behind the trees on the left, but for some reason, they have taken the wires down in this section.

Media City

this short 1 stop stub of the eccles line is aparently supposed to open next month. There has been various testing of the line at night for many months but this is the first time one of our members has capured trams on it in the day time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingTips View Post
What must be another first for SCC a climpse of the future...trams on the new MC spur...

And a sight that will shorly become familiar a tram with MC as a back drop..

Oldham and Rochdale line

This line is the conversion of a clapped out heavy rail line to bring it into the metrolink system. It aslo involves the re use of some abandoned rail line.

Last week, the Bury line was closed to enable the track and the overhead line to be connected.

Quote:

A closer look

Quote:

Ahh . . . the number of times I have looked at that derelict viaduct over the years and thought, some day . . .one day . . .

Central park station - built over 5 years ago and finaly opening in 2011

The section of the Oldham line up to central park will open in spring 2011.

The East Manchester Line

And finaly, all roads lead eastwards.

This tunnel carries the line under a very busy road, and now there is light at the end of it!

Quote:
Clayton Lane has now re-opened :-

Rails being delivered at Edge Lane :-

The future footprint of Edge Lane station is now in place between the carriageways. They are just waiting for the bus stop people to take away the old bus stop, and the lamp people to take away the old lamps! :-

And thats the end, for now!

Thanks to all the contributors and thanks for reading this.

Rember, you can follow all the action here

Last edited by future.architect; August 9th, 2010 at 02:29 AM.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:39 AM   #184
sportka

Likes (Received): 0

Trams

There are a couple of photos of trams in the new Media City tram stop.. taken at 2 in the morning a couple of days ago..

They are here:

http://mediacity.ws/albums/view/14

sportka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #185
MarkO

Likes (Received): 268

Sorry to harp on, but given the dreadful state of public transport in Britain outside of its capital, this is probably the most exciting and wide ranging and largest expansion to public urban transit in the UK at this present time.

The posters above have made some incredibly in-depth and illuminating posts on this expansion in the many forums available and without doubt this is the largest expansion of an urban transit system in the UK at the present time (a virtual trebling of the existing network)!

International observers of the UK transit scene are already aware that when the Metrolink project reaches completion (between 2012-2016) it will be Britain's largest urban rail network outside the capital and will hopefully revive interest in the UK's other (currently poorly served) provincial cities for serious attention to the benefits of modern light rail.

Although countries like France and Germany and Spain and the US and many others, have already seen the benefits of better urban rail in their provincial cites, this is the first time that the UK has even begun to acknowledge the importance of developing a decent urban-rail transit network and it should be shouted from the rooftops that at last the UK is waking up to what so many opther countries already recognise!

Please join me in patting the GMPTE, many campaigners, sensible politicians of all colours, SSC posters and many others... in what promises to be the turning point for Britain getting back on the rails!!!!

PS: if not already clear: the SSC posters have played no small part in this! There are over 500 pages on the Manchester forums about the expansion and use of Metrolink. The protagonists here have been community/media activists and have massively supported this project. People really care about this system and it's future. This is a hallmark of what can be done on the net (alongside countless meetings/campaigns/media reports etc).
If you want Light Rail or better urban rail in your city you would not go far wrong from studying the incredible progress of this system in Manchester, against all adversity, the Metrolionk is expanding whilst almost every other public project in the UK is contracting or shutting down! HUGE cudos to Manchester/GMPTE/SSC forummers!

Last edited by MarkO; August 9th, 2010 at 03:01 AM. Reason: typos
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #186
jetsetwilly

Likes (Received): 351

Since 3b is now funded, will there still be that portion of track that doesn't go through Oldham town centre?
jetsetwilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #187
WatcherZero

Yeah, its going to be used for the 2-3 years while the street running sections built, although they have just abandoned Werneth, a temporary station they were going to build on it.

Their planning to minimise costs and recycle everything so tracks will be lifted, ballast, OHLE etc all reused.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:03 AM   #188
tripleseis

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
Go to Germany, you'll see what I mean. U bahn / s bahn stations underground have shopping attached to them, and are also used as huge underground pedestrian links. In addition, loads of towns in Germany (and also Spain ive noticed) have underground parking with pedestrianised areas above. It means no huge open spaces with car parks above ground or ugly multi storey car parks.
In fact many of the U-Bahns are still de-facto tram systems, it's just that many of the tram lines that ran on city streets in the past were diverted into tunnels during the 70s. This is why you'll get all types of infrastructure, proper underground stations, fully segregated above ground sections and street running. Cologne, Bonn and Frankfurt are perfect examples of this, with city centres having some tunnelled services and other lines running on street. Cologne has a mix of high-floor and low floor trams and I think they're in the completion stages of a brand new deep level tunnel through the city centre. I think the only true German U-bahn/metro systems (segregated entirely from road traffic) are in Hamburg, Munich and Berlin.

I don't see why it would be necessarily bad for metrolink to run future lines through tunnels under Manchester city centre, in fact it would be a lot less disruptive to surface traffic and travel in a more direct route. Tunnelling would also facilitate longer platforms in case tram vehicles needed to be made longer due to increased capacity requirements.

Last edited by tripleseis; August 11th, 2010 at 03:13 AM.
tripleseis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #189
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8829

Hamburg, Munich, Berlin and Nuremberg are full U-bahn.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #190
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

As has been said, an underground line through the centre of Manchester was planned. It was called the Picc-Vic Scheme, due to the fact the tunnel linked the two main stations, Piccadilly & Victoria...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picc-Vic_tunnel
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #191
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

<Edit>
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #192
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Some updates from the Manchester forum...

Quote:
Cheers, Wingtips. I think that diamond icon is by far and away the best thing about the new branding.

Here are a few more pix to go with yours. All the Eccles line now has the latest maps and the new yellow signs (except poor old Pomona!) The new dot matrix signal for the crossover from MC towards Manchester is also now alive.

I like the colour of the paving, which will be open next to the footpath when they have cleared all the residual crap away :-

They are doing it now :-

A study of the overhead :-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Lad View Post
Fantastic photos! I might have to have a ride down on Monday

One quick photo from me

Its been a long time coming!

Before!

Tracks again on Smedley Viaduct as of today!
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #193
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

The new Media City extension opened today, here's some reports from Manchester forumers...

Quote:
Ok chaps here we go......MC Metrolink has gone on line...plenty of people in attendance for the launch glad to see Mr Purdy there...as we are now aware all trams in both directions are going via media city..having talked to several Metrolink staff this morning about this- what by many will be viewed as an inconvenience it would appear nio final decision on this operation has been made at the moment, the turn round time at MC is minimal and probably only fractionally longer than any other stop, however I sense its the "going out of our way from the direction of travel" issue thats causing the problem.

On a more positive note the ride into MC is amazing, everone on the three trams I travelled on were genuinely interested and some awstruck at was was before them, and was the topic of conversation on the trams, there were plently of Metrolink staff on hand both at MC and on board who were more then happy to answer questions etc etc.

The MC stop is of a high quality finish and I would say world class...however without more or do....I will let most of the pictures speak for themselves....enjoy........

As a foot note, the MC stop is something that Metrolink can be justifiably proud of, the PIDS were not in operation on the rest of the ECC line, and the points for the MC line were being manually operated, but these are minor technical issues that will be resolved as soon as possible, one customer service issue that I have already fed back to the Metrolink representatives this morning is that passengers for the Lowry theatre/mall etc were still getting off the tram at Harbour City, the MC stop is much much closer, there is no reference to this on any map, therefore my suggestion has been the the driver makes a manual PA advising passengers for the above to remain on the tram until MC.

Overall well done Metrolink a great addition to the network.

Another First for SSC.
Quote:
VIP dignitaries :-

Brian Gray, Chairman of the North West Development Agency. (Preston North End football club has never been the same since he left) !! :-

People from the BBC and everywhere :-

Mr Purdy makes sure everything is in working order :-

Old September 20th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #194
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 22

New trams look very good.
IrishMan2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 05:44 PM   #195
Beholder

Likes (Received): 861

Quote:
So funny: last Friday I saw one of these in Eurpoort (Rotterdam) and I was wondering which city was so lucky to get a shiny new tram... Congratulations Manchester!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:10 AM   #196
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMan2010 View Post
New trams look very good.
Oops... one of them derailed today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecityofgold View Post
Been down there and it's worse than I expected. One set of wheels is on one track and the other on another. Lampost destroyed. And what looks to me like damage to the track, see picture 3.

Old September 24th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #197
future.architect
Far East London

presentation on the rebrand of the old trams:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post

Old November 8th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #198
future.architect
Far East London

Just thought I would share this rather excelent report on the chorlton line. The three stops (firswood, chorlton, st werburghs road) will open in a few months. In 2013, the line will begin to run to east didsbury and in 2016 the line to manchester airport. The airport line diverges just after st werburghs road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob793 View Post
It's your lucky day apologies! Seeing as it was such a lovely day, I travelled up to Chorlton, and we begin our journey on St. Werburgh's Road. Sure enough, shelters have been installed here.

Looking back towards Chorlton:

And down to the crossover, near to where the airport line will branch off:

Perhaps JDR can tell me if this is where the airport alignment will be?

Next we visit Chorlton, where sure enough shelters are in position:

And looking back towards St. Werburgh's:

Here we are now at Firswood:

Looking towards Old Trafford, it all looks perfect!

And finally to the depot at OT:

It seems there are quite a few trams here now:

At the connection with the Altrincham line, you can see the old bridge under which the former heavy rail line went to join the line to Flixton, Irlam, Cadishead etc, or back towards Manchester via Deansgate.

I hope you enjoyed the photo update!

Last edited by future.architect; November 8th, 2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #199
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Trams testing along the Chorlton line under their own power

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin2345uk View Post
Well I don't know if I'm the first, but excuse the bad photos - iPhone + low lighting = not so good photos...

But I give you a double T68 at St Werburgh's Road station:

Old June 6th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #200
future.architect
Far East London

Bump!

Greetings from Manchester

Although this thread has been away for a while, I think this is now the time to update it.

South Manchester Line

Major construction work on the south Manchester line was finished by February this year. Since then, not much has happened.
The delay is due to the brand new signalling system not being ready in time. Without the signalling in place, driver training and testing could not begin.
Throughout the spring, the line became a bit of a curiosity to the locals. Some even referring to it as 'Chorlton's ornamental tramline'

Here we see Chorlton station practically finished in late February

Although signage for the street level entrances has only just appeared

For the last couple of months, there was not much to see, until last weekend

A tram sits at St Werberghs road tram station which will be the end of the line temporarily.

It has now been confirmed that the official testing phase will begin in 2 days meaning that the line could potentially open within 6 weeks.

A sign warning people to expect trams on the south Manchester Line

Some History

The line which was to become the South Manchester Line was opened by the Midland Railway in 1880. The Line carried trains from Manchester central station to destinations as far away as London.
The Midland Railway line in the late 1950's(?)

From the same vantage point in April 2011

The line closed to passenger services in 1967 when Manchester Central was closed services where transferred to other stations. The line stayed open to freight trains until 1989 when British Rail decided it should close for good.

The same vantage point in 2002, nature has taken over

However, the proposals for metrolink where instigated before the line closed so the line was protected from being sold off.

East Manchester Line

The construction work on this line has been running at breakneck speed. Presumably, since the heavy engineering on the chorlton line finished, the contractor has been able to move the workforce over to this line.

In February, work had stated on the overhead lines.

But track work was still ongoing in some areas.

It was revealed that the line should be partially open by late August/September for the start of the football season. The line serves Manchester city football clubs stadium.

By may, the line is connected to the network

Looking East, almost done

the stations are coming together

Towards the end of the line, construction work has only just begun.

Photography by:
Johnny de Rivative
martin2345uk
Exmanc
Tony_H1

Last edited by future.architect; June 7th, 2011 at 04:45 AM. Reason: expect further updates to this post