daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #261
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7534

Fantastic. I love the new yellow trams.

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #262
PortoNuts

Old February 13th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #263
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Neighbours lose fight to stop Metrolink ‘park and ride’ at Sale Water Park beauty spot

Bethan Dorsett

February 10, 2012

Campaigners have lost their fight against plans to build a park-and-ride site at Sale Water Park.

The 300-space car park for tram users was approved by Trafford council despite claims it could affect wildlife at the green spot.

The park-and-ride site is part of Metrolink’s £1.4bn ‘big bang’ extension which will extend services to Wythenshawe and Manchester Airport.

The site will be linked to a new tram stop and will hold up to 300 vehicles, including 16 reserved spaces for disabled drivers.

Five councillors objected to the planning application for what they called a ‘significant urban development’ on greenbelt land.

Sale resident Mike Freeman said it would have a ‘huge impact on local wildlife’ and would lead to a rise in crime.

But Trafford’s planning councillors voted through the plans on the advice of officers with several conditions, including the need for police-approved security measures.

Metrolink says it will carry out an environmental management plan to minimise the impact of the development on the park.
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...rk-beauty-spot
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #264
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Update from East Didsbury by Johnny de Rivative....
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=866944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
Fabless, metroman!! Progress at last (of a sort)

Cheers for comments mateys. Here's a few shots of East Didsbury (this one courtesy of Stagecoach putting on a double-deck Enviro on the 171 on a Sunday!). On the left, the Trans-Pennine Trail long distance footpath will be fairly flat and comfortable at this point, as seen from Parrs Wood Road :-

Looking back from Kingsway :-

It's a pity this will never be a proper Interchange - I hope the 2 stations with the same name don't cause confusion :-

Turning towards the Terminus :-

The footpath can go up to Burnage Lane or on through the little arch in the distance, which at one time was planned to be Metrolink's route to Stockport :-

Plenty going on in the marshalling yard :-

I was hoping for some rails at Didsbury Village, but I guess they can't be far away as the ballast has been laid very neatly :-

We noticed yesterday that they seem to be using Millgate siding more now for Chorlton turnbacks. Seems to make sense instead of all that dead mileage :-

Finally, a nice Before and After :-

Old February 13th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #265
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Great photo of lots of lovely new Trams....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_H1 View Post
ApologiesfortheDelay posted some links to some cracking photos Id not seen before.

Really is one hell of fleet we are building up here!

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bury_interchange/
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #266
PortoNuts

Great work going on!
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #267
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20324

Looks like its all coming together finally for the metrolink expansion, it will be a decent network once this phase is complete with more to come..

When are these new lines scheduled to open for traffic?
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #268
PortoNuts

Old February 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #269
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Looks like its all coming together finally for the metrolink expansion, it will be a decent network once this phase is complete with more to come..

When are these new lines scheduled to open for traffic?
Various stages between this summer and 2016. However there is still a problem with the communication between the new tram management system and the old block signalling that was used on phase 1 of the network, so it isn't quite clear what will be happening when.

In terms of "more to come" it's not quite clear if there will be more extensions proposed in the next couple of years. The region has exhausted all its current sources of funding for a reasonably long time just to get this phase built, so it isn't clear where the money for further expansion would come from. I think they're hoping for private funding for the line through Trafford Park to Port Salford, and if they are allowed to go down the Karlsruhe tram-train approach then I think they're expecting money from central government in return for the ending of subsidy for these lines.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #270
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Two small updates coming up first is by Johnny de Rivative who's must have taken 100s of photos. This section is from the Ashton line....

Quote:
Welcome mayerdale, good to hear from you with your local eye on developments and cheers also coyotes. There is certainly plenty going on everywhere in places miles apart!!

Only a couple of snippets from the East end just now - poles at Cemetery Road :-

And heading towards Droylsden over the canal bridge :-

The first dot matrix was switched on today at Edge Lane - there's the guy switching it on over on the right, and others taking away the temporary signals. Note the change of colour of the poles down the hill, as Droylsden at its Western border gives way to Manchester :-

I must say they have been fiddling and faddling about with these traffic lights for eight months now, coming back every couple of weeks to try and get the new ones working! Tedious, as the temporary ones blocked off a lane and rotated to each direction individually, causing tailbacks for all that time. (If it takes 8 months to install a traffic light, what hope have we got for TMS??) Still at least they got there in the end . . . .

Old February 18th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #271
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Second is by High Fi of part of the Oldham line. This is where a section of the old network rail track has to stay open and in use with Metrolink running on a single track. This also the Central Park station which should be the most impressive when this section opens.

You can read more on the main thread here. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=866944

Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Fi View Post

After Mr Cables earlier post I decided to have a wander down the Oldham line. I took off from Littlemoss on my lad's BMX (mine has a flat tyre!), through Daisy Nook and over to the Failsworth area. I went over all the bridges to see if anything was happening during the day, sadly there wasn't much to see.

I noticed that the PIDs were visible at Newton Heath and Moston. They kept going off then on again, the chaps in orange must have been testing something?
image hosted on flickr

IMG_0501 by carlf18, on Flickr

The test tram certainly didn't go beyond this point. Big buffers have been placed across the tracks:
image hosted on flickr

IMG_0502 by carlf18, on Flickr

Fully expected to see a celebrity Metrolink snapper on Thorpe's bridge, but alas, I was all alone!

So I finally headed down to the finest station on the network. After sheltering from the freezing wind for a while I took a few snaps at Central Park. The guy came over the Tannoy and warned me that I was being monitored on CCTV. I could see the little camera in the black glass bowl following me. Nothing new here but I thought I'd share anyway.

Some detailed views:
image hosted on flickr

IMG_0513 by carlf18, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0514 by carlf18, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0515 by carlf18, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0523 by carlf18, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0524 by carlf18, on Flickr

Superb...
image hosted on flickr

IMG_0526 by carlf18, on Flickr

There's a few more on my Flickr site.
Old February 19th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #272
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8829

That station does indeed look impressive! Great shots.

What will Central Park actually serve? The area looks to be a very new development and not one that I know much about given that I was last in Manchester in 2004.

Last edited by Svartmetall; February 19th, 2012 at 02:33 AM.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #273
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1571

Central Park is a business park, which is mostly undeveloped plots at the moment, but its been gradually developing over the past few years. There are a few large employment bases there at the moment, including the new Greater Manchester Police HQ.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #274
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Like Accura says Central Park serves a new business park but another point is its right next to a national rail line. Its possible a station could be built there and an interchange created.

A very muddy section of the airport line taken by martin2345uk from here....
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=866944

I'll post some more of the updates later tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin2345uk View Post
Proper little building site at the location of the forthcoming Chorlton Brook Bridge on the Airport Line...

Anyone know what these structures are? Something to do with concrete foundations for the bridge? Or something completely different?

Also noticed they've now fenced off the Metrolink boundary in the rest of the playground of Chorlton High.. In preparation for the tram's emergence onto Mauldeth Road I guess! Still probably some Utility Diversion works to go though...
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:58 PM   #275
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Some pics of the East Didsbury line taken by jrb....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Taken yesterday morning.

Didsbury/Kingsway

Tracks towards Didsbury.

As close as I could get without actually going onsite.

End of the line.(currently) Looking towards Stockport.

Panoramic shots of the site.

Old February 21st, 2012, 04:01 PM   #276
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Pictures of a completed section at sport city again by jrb....

This section isn't open yet but should be the next section to open. Hopefully some time this year if the signalling problems are fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Taken yesterday.

Etihad Metrolink Station

Cracking job.

Finished.(bar the wooden?)

Old February 26th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #277
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Monster update coming up. Huge amount of photos from the Manchester forumers so if your on dial up still or have limited bandwidth be warned. Most of these are by Johnny de Rivative...

First is part of the existing Bury line which is being updated and the next section is the Ashton Line taken by Johnny de Rivative....
Quote:

Bowker Vale is looking a bit sorry for itself just now - have you bought your ticket? :-

But back East, the cherry pickers were on the move, here on the bridge at the top of the ramp near ASDA/Velopark :-

Later they had moved across Canalside Crossing :-

Old February 26th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #278
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

The Oldham line by Johnny de Rivative.....
Quote:
Johnny’s Bananalog, tramdate 210212, sectors 59 & 182 . . .

It’s amazing what you see from the top of a bus – took a trip to-day on the 59 to Shaw then the 182 to Rochdale!

New steps at Bowker Vale :-

Oldham Westwood - the alignment comes around from Westwood Business Park, centre right in old Metrolink colours, and in front of the covered reservoir, centre left. Westwood stop will be just out of shot on the left :-

Winterbottom Street has been diverted for laying rails across it. It will be a level crossing for access to Richmond Schools :-

The descent by the by-pass down to Winterbottom Street does seem to be a steep one Tony :-

Rails across Mumps roundabout, then up towards Derker away from the camera between Bell Street and Brook Street :-

Looking back down Brook Street (on the left) towards Mumps. I can’t quite make out what that is on the line :-

Shaw tramstop looking South. They are also putting in a new footbridge on the right, I guess for the path running beside the line to cross the brook? :-

The third road for terminating trams is on the left, with an island platform so that passengers are well placed for the next departure South :-

What a good idea to put the station and headshunt on the Southern side, so that turnbacks don’t need to cross the road :-

Turning to face North, the former site of Shaw & Crompton station :-

This is where the terminating headshunt used to be :-

And today . . .

I don’t know what those big wagons are, either, mayerdale! :-

more later . . .

Old February 26th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #279
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

More of the Oldham/Rochdale line again by Johnny de Rivative.....
Quote:
Cheers Neil There's plenty to be doing up there!

Johnny’s Bananalog part 2

Heading North on a 182, I have often thought a stop might be viable in the Goats or Woodend area, given the very long drop between Shaw and Newhey :-

Near Jubilee, the line will be enjoyable in a woodland and waterside setting :-

Then in open moorland near Haugh :-

An unusual view of New Hey tramstop over the fence! :-

The approach to Milnrow station (tramstop to be) nice new stonework on the abutments :-

Rails are in and the platforms are arriving as we speak :-

Descending into the village, one thinks what a wide variety of environments there will be on Metrolink. Unfortunately the pub here is boarded up - perhaps it will open up again with the station? :-

Looking North from Elizabethan Way towards the Pennines :-

Further on, guess what – another crossover :-

Haven’t heard any mention of short workings to Milnrow, so it’s probably to allow for potential problems on the single line section ahead :-

We’ll have to have a crossover-spotting competition!

more later
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #280
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Two more updates of the Oldham/Rochdale line by Johnny de Rivative....
Quote:
Cheers folks

Johnny’s Bananalog part 3 . . . on foot for the rest of the way!

The rails have now reached Kingsway Business Park :-

You can make out the white platform base on the left :-

The Stop Equipment Room has also arrived :-

The main entrance to KBP tramstop will actually be between these two houses on Leyfield Road :-

The alley between them gives on to Turbary Walk at the back :-

I hope the tree doesn’t have to be done away with, as it’s quite an elegant one :-

Directly behind it is the stop access path. Presumably there will be another approach from the Business Park opposite, but not much sign of that arriving at present :-

Turning around with one’s back to the tree, one finds oneself at the front door of number 23. Just imagine hordes of people emerging from the stop through here at rush hour . . .

A final look back at KBP tramstop from Turbary Walk :-

more later

Quote:
Not so densely populated there, SF, but would be a good amenity nevertheless.

Johnny’s Bananalog Part 4 210212

There’s not a lot of obvious change as yet at Newbold. Morrison’s cupola is now visible above the lowered embankment from Moss Avenue, but there will not be an access from this side nor from Bertha Road :-

Apart from Morrison’s car park this will be the only public access, from Kingsway. It looks like there may be another of those vertical gardens by the descending embankment :-

However, the ubiquitous Stop Equipment Room, here on the left with scaffolding, has arrived :-

A closer view of the viaduct over the Railway line. I think the rails at the lower level off to the right, form another interconnector between Metrolink and Network Rail - currently used as a headshunt by Rochdale terminating services back to Manchester, which previously would have gone forward around the Oldham loop (Is that right Tony?) :-

The embankment looks longer and less steeply graded from this angle :-

It also rises high above the nearby houses. Is the stop sign the end of the headshunt? :-

Here a Northern Rail train is passing speedily under the viaduct (I think) :-

The same spot one year ago :-

Of course, Metrolink will pass at a much higher level than the train, in fact it will be quite domineering at this point! :-

Now the area around Rochdale Railway Station is beginning to look the part, and the Metrolink bridge over Oldham Road has been smartened up, near the breakout into High Level Road on the right. I do like the black furniture against this beige coloured paving:-

The transfer point from rail to road :-

Broad Gauge rails in Maclure Road? :-

The steep embankment is an illusion, but so will be the bananas climbing up it! :-

Getting the route ready on the left :-

Time for a train back to town!