daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #301
Paul Sidorczuk
Xenophon philosopher

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
I'm pretty sure the next section of the A555 for the Airport will mostly be built on the Airport side which is in nearly all in Cheshire. I had a feeling part of the funding for that came from Greater Manchester? So that shows they must work together.
The A555 link was just one part of the SEMMS total project in which the DfT was the prime mover. As you know, with the project being all funded by Central Government, it was John Prescott who was the Labour Minister of Transport at that time who made the decision to "freeze" the SEMMS project, even though the A555 link road had already been fully completed from Bramhall to Handforth, with the terminating roundabout at Handforth being in readiness for the short final stage to Manchester Airport.

I agree that it is good for two neighbouring authorities to be seen to work together, but the funding from the Governmental bodies concerned towards the current expansion of the Manchester Metrolink system was given directly to the GMCA/TfGM bodies as they now are, without any need of recourse to Cheshire East Council. As you say, Cheshire East Council have never made an official statement on the Manchester Metrolink system, as it is not in any of their current area transportation policy forward-planning proposals. TfGM have looked forward past the current four-line Manchester Metrolink expansion, but in the matter of the Port Salford project, have made clear the need for private rather than Governmental finance to pay for this expansion to the Manchester Metrolink network.

Cheshire East Council, I believe, are like certain other statutory bodies that are waiting for the "Tram/Train" experimental testing too be carried out in the Sheffield area, but this process seems to be inordinately slow. Cheshire East Council would see the mid-Cheshire heavy rail railway line as a possible recipient of such a system, whereas the Prestbury and Macclesfield areas already see much inter-city and commuter-based transportation by heavy rail.

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #302
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sidorczuk View Post
The A555 link was just one part of the SEMMS total project in which the DfT was the prime mover. As you know, with the project being all funded by Central Government, it was John Prescott who was the Labour Minister of Transport at that time who made the decision to "freeze" the SEMMS project, even though the A555 link road had already been fully completed from Bramhall to Handforth, with the terminating roundabout at Handforth being in readiness for the short final stage to Manchester Airport.

I agree that it is good for two neighbouring authorities to be seen to work together, but the funding from the Governmental bodies concerned towards the current expansion of the Manchester Metrolink system was given directly to the GMCA/TfGM bodies as they now are, without any need of recourse to Cheshire East Council. As you say, Cheshire East Council have never made an official statement on the Manchester Metrolink system, as it is not in any of their current area transportation policy forward-planning proposals. TfGM have looked forward past the current four-line Manchester Metrolink expansion, but in the matter of the Port Salford project, have made clear the need for private rather than Governmental finance to pay for this expansion to the Manchester Metrolink network.

Cheshire East Council, I believe, are like certain other statutory bodies that are waiting for the "Tram/Train" experimental testing too be carried out in the Sheffield area, but this process seems to be inordinately slow. Cheshire East Council would see the mid-Cheshire heavy rail railway line as a possible recipient of such a system, whereas the Prestbury and Macclesfield areas already see much inter-city and commuter-based transportation by heavy rail.
Just been having a read back. Councils involved are Stockport, Cheshire East and Manchester. Of the £290m needed £165m is coming from Central Government and the rest from Greater Manchester via the Greater Manchester City deal. Its part of a £1.2 Billion infrastructure fund thats been agreed with the government.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #303
Paul Sidorczuk
Xenophon philosopher

Quote:
The rest from Greater Manchester via the Greater Manchester City deal. Its part of a £1.2 Billion infrastructure fund thats been agreed with the government.
That sounds intersting....tell us more about how the monies from the Greater Manchester City deal are raised...and who are the contributors to this.

Is there any "ring-fencing" of monies in that deal?
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #304
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
That sounds intersting....tell us more about how the monies from the Greater Manchester City deal are raised...and who are the contributors to this.

Is there any "ring-fencing" of monies in that deal?
Read more here .... http://www.manchester.gov.uk/news/ar...l_announcement
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #305
Paul Sidorczuk
Xenophon philosopher

Quote:
Thank you for this link. I do note that it does state in this report the monies invested upfront in infrastructure improvements by Greater Manchester will be "paid back" to the combined authority as real economic growth is seen.

My query is to who exactly will make the decision that "real economic growth" has been achieved. What will the benchmark be for making this judgement ?
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #306
Paul Sidorczuk
Xenophon philosopher

Quote:
It does state in this report the monies invested upfront in infrastructure improvements by Greater Manchester will be "paid back" to the combined authority as real economic growth is seen. My query is to who exactly will make the decision that "real economic growth" has been achieved. What will the benchmark be for making this judgment ?
Has anyone any updated answer yet to this query that I raised nearly a month ago ?
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #307
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Likes (Received): 3752

The extension to Oldham opened this morning and tram testing commenced far up the Ashton line towards Droylsden last night.

Some new pics courtesy of some of the dedicated chroniclers of the latest expansions in Manchester;

The Oldham Service commences;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freel07 View Post
Just a few of my photos from this mornings events. It was great to see so many forummers on the tram and put a few faces to names!

3004 arrives at St Peters Square with the first departure to Oldham at 05:18.

The internal PIDS confirms to event!

The first passenger carrying tram enters to Oldham Line at Irk Valley!

3004 leaves for the Mumps turnback siding soon to be the line to Rochdale.

Ready to form the first through tram to St Werburghs Road.

The assembled crowds board 3004 to make the first departure from Oldham.

3004 crosses the delta on its way south passing 3011 on its way to Oldham.

I now look forward to all the much better photos taken by the many other forummers.

Ashton line testing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
Yatapinganana!!

Up the hill she comes :-

Next stop trafford bar!!

Old June 13th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #308
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5778

When is the Ashton line scheduled to commence revenue service?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #309
mackenziesoley

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54
When is the Ashton line scheduled to commence revenue service?
2012 but no greater detail. As far as Velopark expected this year, to Droylsden hopefully by years end and Ashton next year.
mackenziesoley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #310
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Its been noted that some work is being undertaken in Piccadilly station. Sign changes are being made, along with some improvements. Should mean the first part of the Ashton line opening can't be too far of as testing is also taking place.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #311
mackenziesoley

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
Its been noted that some work is being undertaken in Piccadilly station. Sign changes are being made, along with some improvements. Should mean the first part of the Ashton line opening can't be too far of as testing is also taking place.
On the SCC forum they got a reply from TfGM which stated that initial testing on the East Manchester Line went well but further testing with the Tram Management System was due later in the year. Only with TMS working can they open properly to Droylsden, now officially the next extension to open.

However there is efforts being made to run football specials as far as the stadium in time for the next season, that said they wanted to do the same for last season.
Old June 24th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #312
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Video of the new Manchester to Oldham line in reverse...

Old July 13th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #313
Paul Sidorczuk
Xenophon philosopher

I have seen a debate somwhere, but now cannot trace it, where it was claimed that Timperley Metrolink station is a good distance away from Timperley. Not so very far away from the station is quite a large area of housing called the Riddings estate, which I have always taken to be within Timperley. It appears that the person making that statement appears to feel that "Timperley" starts and finishes with Timperley Village only.

Perhaps there will be a similar debate soon with regard to the new Withington Metrolink station being said not to be in Withington. Could someone with an exact knowledge of the area of the proposed station say in exactly what part of Manchester this station is actually situated, if it is not in the area of Withington as generally defined.
Old July 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #314
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Pretty much from the Broomwood Estate to Trafford College is classed as Timperley. Just off the A56 on the old Partington line is where the Old West Timperley Railway station was and Timperley Station has been called that since 1849 even through its a mile away from 'Timperley Village'.
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #315
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Airport line and South Manchester line taking shape. Pictures by marni1971 and martin2345uk from the Manchester forum. Top photos show the bridge over the River Mersey under construction and bottom photo by Martin2345uk shows copper wires going up. There was also a very interesting map created by mackenziesoley showing the original 1988 Metrolink proposals which show two other lines which head towards Glossop and Marple. Post for the map is here... http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...ostcount=15632

Quote:
Originally Posted by marni1971 View Post
Good news from St Werbs. Things are certainly moving up a gear now.

Finally got to the Mersey Crossing. Wow. It's going to be one big structure. A few more pics to add to Martins:

There are dozens of these all over the water park station site and up to the Mersey. All irregularly placed with no uniform height. Anyone know what they are?

The footpaths will need weeding before reopening!

Was this guy one of us?

The story so far.

Nearly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin2345uk View Post
Quick pic of the works

The copper wires coming in from the bottom now meet the wires coming from Werby's

And on the left you can see the Airport branch being cleared

So far looks like only a single wire on the Didsbury stretch... will they add the upper wire at a later stage like the rest of the line or will it only have single wires for ever?
Old July 17th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #316
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Good news is that another 20 Bombardier trams have been ordered to replace the older T-68s. Takes the total amount up to 94.

Quote:
Manchester's oldest Metrolink trams to be replaced

All of Greater Manchester's oldest trams will be replaced with new vehicles by 2014 in a £64m investment, transport officials have announced.

The decision comes on the 20th anniversary of the launch of the Metrolink system.

The 32 original trams will be replaced with new vehicles provided by manufacturer Bombardier and propulsion supplier Vossloh Kiepe by 2014.

A further 62 new trams will be in use as new lines are being built.

The new M5000 models are up to four times less likely to develop faults, 10 tonnes lighter and use less energy than the old T68s.

'Well-earned retirement'
Construction is under way on lines to Rochdale train station, Droylsden, Ashton-under-Lyne, East Didsbury, Oldham, Rochdale, Manchester Airport and Wythenshawe.

Andrew Fender, chair of the Transport for Greater Manchester Committee, said: "This decision signals the end of one chapter for Metrolink and the start of a new one.

"Our T68 vehicles were the first of their kind in the UK and served the first modern light rail network of its kind in the country.

"It is clear that our T68s no longer live up to the standards that passengers expect.

"The time has now come for them to enter a well-earned retirement."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-18867824
Old July 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #317
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Another important step for the Oldham/Rochdale line...

Quote:
Metrolink: Electrification of the overhead power lines
Date published: 26 July 2012

Electrification of the overhead power lines between Oldham Mumps (temporary) stop and Rochdale Train Station stop, that includes all the intermediate areas around the new Metrolink stops in Newhey, Milnrow and Kingsway, will happen in the next few days.

Once switched on, the overhead lines that run above the tramway will continuously carry electricity at a high voltage of 750 volts. The overhead lines should be considered 'live' as of Friday 27 July 2012.

TfGM has hand delivered a letter to nearby properties.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news...ad-power-lines
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:12 PM   #318
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Day time testing on the East Manchester Line has commenced;

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweskid View Post
Big thanks to JdR for giving me the tip-off.

Here we go, so hang on to your hats for a ride from Edge Lane to Droylsden...

Edge Lane stop...

Edge Lane...

Crossing Edge Lane

Heading down Ashton New Road....

Manchester Road, near Buxton Lane...

Manchester Road, approaching Cemetery Road stop...

and into the stop...

Just passing the library, near Droylsden Centre...

At Villemomble Square...

Crossing Market Street...

At Droylsden stop...

On the tunback 'trambahn'...

On the turnback...

Droylsden stop, inbound...

Passing Tollbar House...

Over the old canal bridge outside the library...

Passing Tescos, inbound to Manchester...

That's all for now- if they are testing tomorrow I'll try to get some pics in the other direction towards Manchester.
Old November 25th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #319
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

East Manchester Line just weeks away from opening now;

Quote:
With 3056 standing on the outbound 3058 appears on its return from Droylsden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
Quote:
As Johnny spotted I was lurking around EML this morning aiming to get some shots of the action. I met with varying degrees of success as by the very nature of what is going on the runs are sporadic.

Anyway here are a selection of my shots (possibly too many).

The first is not a particularly good shot but I like the fact that it shows a tram (3058) in it's true environment and actually controlling the other road traffic. It has just left Clayton Hall stop on the way to Droylsden.

3056 arrives at Clayton Hall about 6 minutes behind 3058, I was using the PIDS to assess whether to move on or not and generally they were pretty good.

This must have been taken just as Johnny spotted me from the bus. 3058 returns to town and crosses the road at Canal Crossing.

I spotted 3058 again as it left Eithad Campus outbound. here it is opposite the inbound platform.

Here we see 3056 topping the Metrolink Funicular as it enters the outbound platform at Etihad Campus. The gradient is steep but my tlephoto has exaggerated it.

Taken from Cambrian Street we see 3050 as it approaches Holt Town alongside the much lamented walkway.

Here is 3056 approaching Holt Town inbound.

3056 waiting to depart Holt Town for Sheffield Street.

And off they go up Merrill Street. Again a tram in its natural environment.

The training team must have taken a break after this departure as I waited around for quite a while but to no avail. I decided to return to Edge Lane to try my luck, but still no trams despite the PIDS telling me there was one 4 minutes away for around 15 minutes. I guess sthey may have done a couple of Velopark turnbacks. Anyway I made my way up to Cemetery Road where my luck changed.

Here 3058 approaches Cemetery Road surrounded by other road traffic.

And leaves for Droylsden.

It returned about 10 minutes later.

3056 had followed it up about 8 minutes behind and here we see it returning to town.

I then hung around in Droylsden for over half an hour but I guess that those 2 runs must have been the last for the day unless they did a couple more short runs to Velopark.

During the trip 2 things struck me in relation to other road traffic. One was the continuing illegal right turns at Edge Lane. Almost every traffic light stage had at least one turn made, I even spotted a funeral cortège make the turn whilst I was waiting for a tram to appear. The second was the number of drivers who clipped the outbound tramway at Market Street, one who had turned right to go towards Ashton even tried to overtake an artic by using the outbound tram line through the platform. I sense some use of the loud segregated horns at these 2 locations once things start to heat up.
Old November 25th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #320
mackenziesoley

Internal sources are saying that Droylsden testing is until Friday only then it will switch to Shaw with Shaw to open next and Droylsden early next year.