daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #361
Freel07

Likes (Received): 15120

Another step forward for Metrolink took place on Wednesday 04/12/2013 when driver trainer familiarisation started on the Oldham Town Centre section between Westwood and Mumps. On Thursday afternoon I decided to brave the wind and take a 409 bus up to Oldham to see what was happening.

I was almost caught out as I got off the bus and 3070 appeared crossing King Street eastbound.

image hosted on flickr

P1030291 by sghyde, on Flickr

As it arrived at Central 3071 was already standing there.

image hosted on flickr

P1030295 by sghyde, on Flickr

Wanting to get some shots from John Street I hurried over and managed to catch 3071 as it descended to Manchester Street. By the way in this shot there is someone under the bridge taking photos and I believe I spoke to him as we passed on the pedestrian crossing on Manchester Street, is it anyone on here? I didn't get chance to ask.

image hosted on flickr

P1030301 by sghyde, on Flickr

I just had time to get down into the middle of the roundabout as 3071 returned from Westwood.
image hosted on flickr

P1030304 by sghyde, on Flickr

And as it started the climb back to King Street 3070 appeared again.

image hosted on flickr

P1030308 by sghyde, on Flickr

Back on Union Street 3070 leaves King Street stop eastbound.

image hosted on flickr

P1030316 by sghyde, on Flickr

Passing 3071 at Central.

image hosted on flickr

P1030320 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030324 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030329 by sghyde, on Flickr

Union Street with 3070 westbound.

image hosted on flickr

P1030332 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030338 by sghyde, on Flickr

3071 trapped by a badly parked car which despite plenty of room in the parking bay had been left stuck out in the road. It was left waiting for 2 or 3 minutes.

image hosted on flickr

P1030343 by sghyde, on Flickr

But eventually escaped.

image hosted on flickr

P1030348 by sghyde, on Flickr

To make its way east to Mumps.

image hosted on flickr

P1030352 by sghyde, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

P1030354 by sghyde, on Flickr

I just missed it crossing over at Mumps. This proved to be its last trip of the afternoon. We can see one of the drivers with the points bar in his hand on the platform.

image hosted on flickr

P1030355 by sghyde, on Flickr

And here was see 3070 approaching Mumps on its last trip.

image hosted on flickr

P1030365 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030366 by sghyde, on Flickr.

Manchester77, lafreak84, Swede liked this post
Freel07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #362
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5788

A famous scene from the Simpsons:

Quote:
Bart: True or false: "You can get mono from riding the monorail."
Homer: False. No wait, true!
Bart: No you were right the first time! You know Dad, I think this is great that you are trying to become a monorail conductor, and I want to be just like you when I grow up.
Now are Metrolink conductors asked "True or False: You can get mumps from riding the Metrolink?"
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #363
Freel07

Taking advantage of a nice sunny day I ventured up to Oldham again this morning to try some more shots of training action in progress. This time I worked my way between King Street and Westwood and back.

Anyway here is a selection of my photos which I don't think need too much explanation.

King Street with both 3070 and 3071. The permanent fencing between the car park and the stop makes photography a little difficult as the mesh is rather small.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2728a by sghyde, on Flickr

Now over to Westwood.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2750a by sghyde, on Flickr

The trams were actually having to cross West Street to ensure they were clear of Westwood Crossover.

image hosted on flickr

P1030380a by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2756a by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2759a by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2768a by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2771a by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2774a by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2778a by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2783a by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2796a by sghyde, on Flickr

Entering Westwood stop

image hosted on flickr

P1030392a by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2807a by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2810a by sghyde, on Flickr

Now up to the top end of the ramp alongside Oldham Way.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2812a by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2821a by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2824a by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2826a by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2828a by sghyde, on Flickr

And finally back to King Street. I noticed that just after this shot was taken things seemed to go quiet and one of the trams was stopped at Central for some time.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2842a by sghyde, on Flickr

Nowax, kyah117, lafreak84, JackClare liked this post
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #364
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26195

Yesterday the new Queens Road stop is opened as replacement of Woodlands Road stop, while Woodlands Road itself stop is now closed
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #365
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Yesterday the new Queens Road stop is opened as replacement of Woodlands Road stop, while Woodlands Road itself stop is now closed
That's right and I took a trip up to Queens Road on Wednesday to have a look at the stop and take some shots for my collection.

Having got talking to the PSRs on the platforms they told me that it would be manned until such time as the lift is working and the other final detailing is complete. They didn't know how long that was likely to be.

image hosted on flickr

P1030413 by sghyde, on Flickr

Two rather grubby old friends on their way to Altrincham.

image hosted on flickr

P1030415 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030420 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030422 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030423 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030429 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030431 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030433 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030439 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030443 by sghyde, on Flickr

The top landing of the lift which is still to be commissioned.

image hosted on flickr

P1030449 by sghyde, on Flickr

Another slightly younger 'old friend' on its way to Altrincham.

image hosted on flickr

P1030465 by sghyde, on Flickr

Not often photographed or seen moving in daylight. 1027 had just drawn 3020 off the wheel lathe after tyre turning.

image hosted on flickr

P1030469 by sghyde, on Flickr

dimlys1994, lafreak84 liked this post
Old December 20th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #366
dimlys1994

So, you were there and does it really changed everything? I mean that there was some controversy about Woodlands Road station closure, that two new stops would have bad connectivity for community
Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:51 PM   #367
Freel07

Quote:
So, you were there and does it really changed everything? I mean that there was some controversy about Woodlands Road station closure, that two new stops would have bad connectivity for community
I was there on the third day of operation and there were certainly quite a few people using the stop during my visit. In my opinion more than would have been using Woodlands Road which in my experience was lightly used. Yes its closure may well inconvenience a few people living close by it but Queens Road and Abraham Moss between them serve a larger catchment area. The college at Abraham Moss did provide Woodlands Road with most of its passengers but obviously meant they had to walk. The new Irish Heritage Centre on Queens Road and the residential area around the stop are some considerable distance from Woodlands Road.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old December 24th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #368
dimlys1994

Yesterday:

Quote:
http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_...?articleId=367

A ground-breaking moment for Metrolink
23 December 2013

Work to deliver a second Metrolink line through the heart of Manchester city centre – providing greater capacity and resilience across the network – is set to begin in January.

The three-year programme will see the creation of the new multi-million pound Second City Crossing, enabling more trams to cross the city centre and, in turn, increasing the capacity, flexibility and reliability of the system.

The line will begin in Lower Mosley Street and run through St Peter’s Square, before turning down Princess Street and then heading along Cross Street and Corporation Street before re-joining the existing Metrolink line just outside Victoria station.

As part of the project, new stops will be built in Exchange Square and St Peter’s Square.

Councillor Andrew Fender, Chair of the TfGM Committee, said: “This will be the starter pistol for a marathon civil engineering project that is an essential part of the Metrolink expansion.

“The Second City Crossing (2CC) will increase the capacity, flexibility and reliability of all of the network’s new lines and enable them to operate to their fullest.

“As such, it will play a vital role in helping to build a strong and prosperous economy for Greater Manchester.”

Powers to install the second Metrolink route were formally approved by the government in November following a public inquiry earlier this year and a major public consultation in 2011.

The first stage of work – to divert gas pipes and electricity and phone cables buried in the highway away from the footprint of the new tramway – will start on Corporation Street, between Withy Grove and Market Street, from 6 January.

This will see trenches dug so new ducting can be laid for pipes and cables. Localised road closures and diversions will be put in place but access to businesses in the area will be maintained at all times.

A number of work sites will also be set up in the St Peter’s Square area, and TfGM is working closely with Manchester City Council to minimise any disruption and ensure the works are integrated with other developments in the city centre.

All of this will mark the formal starting point of a major, transformational civil engineering programme expected to be complete in early 2017 and which includes plans to redevelop and expand the Deansgate-Castlefield and Manchester Victoria stops.

From January onwards, work will be carried out at various sections of the 2CC route until its completion. However, subject to ERDF funding, the section to Exchange Square could be complete in 2015.

Peter Cushing, TfGM’s Metrolink Director, said: “It’s a significant piece of work and not without its challenges, but we have learnt a huge amount successfully delivering new street-running lines to Ashton, Oldham and Rochdale town centres and to Wythenshawe and Manchester Airport and we will be drawing on this experience to keep disruption to an absolute minimum.

“We have also established strong links with businesses in the city and I’d encourage anyone who hasn’t already done so to get in touch so we can keep them up to speed over the life of this project and beyond.”

TfGM’s dedicated engagement team, who have been engaging with stakeholders in the city for some time, will continue to share details on the delivery of the scheme directly with businesses and individuals throughout the project.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:18 PM   #369
dimlys1994

Today:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2014/0...-10-new-trams/

Manchester orders a further 10 new trams
2 JAN, 2014

A Bombardier/Vossloh Kiepe consortium has received an order for 10 new Manchester Metrolink trams after the city’s transport authority exercised an option from an £18 million contract signed in 2007.

This latest order takes the total number of new trams to 104, with 77 already delivered by the consortium.

The new fleet will fully replace the original T68 vehicles which will complete their final runs this year before being decommissioned.

Bombardier has said the first tram of the new batch is expected to be delivered in March 2015.

Peter Cushing, Transport for Greater Manchester’s (TfGM) Metrolink director, said: “The new FLEXITY M5000 vehicles are now a familiar sight across Greater Manchester, with nearly 70,000 journeys a day made on the Metrolink network.

“The vehicles are helping us deliver greater capacity and a much more reliable journey, with lighter, brighter and more spacious interiors giving extra room for passengers. We look forward to completely replacing our tram fleet with this model during 2014.”

The new trams are designed and manufactured by Bombardier in Bautzen, Germany, and Vienna, Austria. However, the bogies are delivered from Bombardier’s Siegen factory and the electrical equipment is provided by Vossloh Kiepe.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:29 PM   #370
d33206hg
Tram Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 3790

Well at least 5 T68/T68A's have worked in 2014! 1007+1017 1016+1023 2003 today
image hosted on flickr

Metrolink 030 by d33206hg, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Metrolink 102 by d33206hg, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Metrolink 153 by d33206hg, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Metrolink 163 by d33206hg, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Metrolink 082 by d33206hg, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Metrolink 142 by d33206hg, on Flickr

Manchester77, Swede, Freel07 liked this post
d33206hg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 12:02 PM   #371
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

When will they be fully replaced?

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #372
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneCity View Post
When will they be fully replaced?
Summer this year
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #373
Freel07

This weekend Metrolink sees the first section of second generation route to be closed in the UK when the section of the Oldham Rochdale Line between Werneth and Mumps through Werneth and Central Tunnels closes in readiness for the opening of the new Town Centre line on January 27th.

A few shots from today.

A Rochdale bound M5000 enters Central Tunnel

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2850 by sghyde, on Flickr

A pair of M5000s heading for East Didsbury leave Central Tunnel.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2851 by sghyde, on Flickr

A pair of M5000s leave Werneth Tunnel bound for East Didsbury

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2858 by sghyde, on Flickr

3008 heading for Rochdale approaches the Manchester end of Werneth Tunnel passing the site of the former Werneth Station.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2861 by sghyde, on Flickr

Looking from Clegg Street bridge 3033 leaves Central Tunnel passing the site of Central Station.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2878 by sghyde, on Flickr

and heads towards Mumps past the site of the ends of Clegg Street and Central stations platforms.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_2880 by sghyde, on Flickr

3046 approaches Mumps (Temporary) and the site of the former Mumps Station.

image hosted on flickr

P1030487 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030490 by sghyde, on Flickr

With training trams 3075 and 3076 visible on the new route in the background 3057 crosses the road on the old route bound for East Didsbury.

image hosted on flickr

P1030519 by sghyde, on Flickr

The Mumps (Temporary) stop adjacent to the site of the former Mumps Station. This will be abandoned once again after this evening.

image hosted on flickr

P1030524 by sghyde, on Flickr

Old January 17th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #374
dimlys1994

What will happen with tunnels after the extension will be completed?
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #375
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
What will happen with tunnels after the extension will be completed?
Probably be gated/bricked up

Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #376
Lucky Lukas

Likes (Received): 2

What a short-sighted project the 2cc is (IMO).

It's running far too close to the existing line on Mosley St and High St and is providing an amazing total of one (1) ONE !!!! new stop. It may have some running benefits but it's catchment benefit is negligible. Shame!

IMO the scheme should have run along Deansgate, had 3 (THREE!) stops and, wait for it, should have been in tunnel - Pre-metro style, with a view to sinking the line underground between Piccadilly Gardens and Victoria in the long run also.

Then Manchester would be on the way to having a transport system worthy of some attention. As it stands, it lags somewhere behind a 2nd tier provincial French system - and what a palaver it has been.
Old January 18th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #377
Manchester77

you having a laugh? Baring in mind the £1.5bn for Phase Three is a loan, how much money do you think we could have got? Ignoring the cost, the new line is about capacity, having lots of stops limits capacity, even with TMS, there's only so many trams you can run until it becomes full 1CC is 25tph, think 2CC will be 30tph having an additional stop would limit this.

Freel07 liked this post
Old January 19th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #378
MarkO

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lukas View Post
What a short-sighted project the 2cc is (IMO). It's running far too close to the existing line on Mosley St and High St and is providing an amazing total of one (1) ONE !!!! new stop. It may have some running benefits but it's catchment benefit is negligible. Shame! IMO the scheme should have run along Deansgate, had 3 (THREE!) stops and, wait for it, should have been in tunnel - Pre-metro style, with a view to sinking the line underground between Piccadilly Gardens and Victoria in the long run also. Then Manchester would be on the way to having a transport system worthy of some attention. As it stands, it lags somewhere behind a 2nd tier provincial French system - and what a palaver it has been.
Hmmmmmm interesting post Lukas but let's get things into a bit of historical perspective - you're both right and wrong here old chap.

Many of us SSC Forummers (and also an outside group) campaigned for a route along (part of) Deansgate with additional stops as you mention and to spread catchment to a wider area. We were also equally incensed when plans revealed just ONE stop (ideally on that route there would have been a second stop around King St).

BUT may I take issue with you about what Manchester has got for the investment? It's become the UK's biggest (& arguably best) light rail system (and delivered the fastest and at lower price than the somewhat embarrassing fiasco of Edinburgh) and given the (almost hopeless) amount of money spent outside London on transport projects you just can't justify it being reasonable value for money and a huge success.

TfGM and their predecessors have done an absolutely unprecedented job in squeezing the funding for these projects out of generally London-centric governments, but they have have to deliver almost everything on the cheap or at a price that would not be tolerated by as you put it 3rd rate French provincial cities.

With that backdrop maybe you could cut them some slack and place the blame for any shortcomings on a system that favours massive investment in the capital but makes the regions their bitches!

Freel07 liked this post
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:26 PM   #379
Lucky Lukas

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
Hmmmmmm interesting post Lukas but let's get things into a bit of historical perspective - you're both right and wrong here old chap.

Many of us SSC Forummers (and also an outside group) campaigned for a route along (part of) Deansgate with additional stops as you mention and to spread catchment to a wider area. We were also equally incensed when plans revealed just ONE stop (ideally on that route there would have been a second stop around King St).

BUT may I take issue with you about what Manchester has got for the investment? It's become the UK's biggest (& arguably best) light rail system (and delivered the fastest and at lower price than the somewhat embarrassing fiasco of Edinburgh) and given the (almost hopeless) amount of money spent outside London on transport projects you just can't justify it being reasonable value for money and a huge success.

TfGM and their predecessors have done an absolutely unprecedented job in squeezing the funding for these projects out of generally London-centric governments, but they have have to deliver almost everything on the cheap or at a price that would not be tolerated by as you put it 3rd rate French provincial cities.

With that backdrop maybe you could cut them some slack and place the blame for any shortcomings on a system that favours massive investment in the capital but makes the regions their bitches!

I agree that UK is hideously London-centric. I'm not criticising people for having poor budgets, try as they might, but I would have made the 2cc a core priority of the network, ahead of both Rochdale and the Airport. These latter are IMO too distant for tram services, and especially the airport. Airport pax want express services (as do inter-urban pax), not trams going round the houses. When completed, Wythenshawe will have a better tram network than central Manchester. How can this be?

Manchester has aspirations of being the UK's 2nd city and deserved a subway/metro type network a LONG time ago. The 2cc was a chance to establish that.
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #380
Manchester77

The airport line is not meant for people travelling straight from the Airport into town and vice versa it's to serve the communities along the line, Wythenshawe, Benchill etc. Airport travellers have faster services from most central manchester stations DGT, MCO, MAN (MCV from 2018) to name a few. But as I said its about linking communities than serving the airport only.

The Oldham Loop Line has improved tremendously since it was converted, from 2016 it will see a 6 minute service to Shaw as well as a far better improved quality of service; 80s built sprinters and pacers to modern trams. Ditto with the other two lines metrolink converted, the Altrincham line is far more frequent now as it the Bury line. If it weren't for metrolink it's likely the bury line would have become diesel operated since it would have been costly to replace the unique trains on the unique 1200DC Side Contact system.

Freel07 liked this post