daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #381
Lucky Lukas

Likes (Received): 2

Be that as it may, the 2cc is not a "Second City Crossing" it's a half mile diversion round the back of the Arndale and it's a blooming joke.

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2014, 02:59 AM   #382
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

But it is it's the second metrolink crossing through the city centre and regardless of whatever route it took it always will be just the the existing routes via Market Street is 1CC. And the route it takes doesn't really matter since it's core purpose is to increase capacity in the city above 25tph (the current frequency)
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:53 AM   #383
Freel07

Likes (Received): 15091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
The airport line is not meant for people travelling straight from the Airport into town and vice versa it's to serve the communities along the line, Wythenshawe, Benchill etc. Airport travellers have faster services from most central manchester stations DGT, MCO, MAN (MCV from 2018) to name a few. But as I said its about linking communities than serving the airport only.

The Oldham Loop Line has improved tremendously since it was converted, from 2016 it will see a 6 minute service to Shaw as well as a far better improved quality of service; 80s built sprinters and pacers to modern trams. Ditto with the other two lines metrolink converted, the Altrincham line is far more frequent now as it the Bury line. If it weren't for metrolink it's likely the bury line would have become diesel operated since it would have been costly to replace the unique trains on the unique 1200DC Side Contact system.
A couple of additional points in support of your post Manchester 77.

Firstly if Metrolink hadn't taken on the Bury Line there is a good chance it would have closed completely, it only just survived by the skin of it's teeth in the 1970s.

Secondly some of these recent extensions aren't about simply providing links into Manchester. The Shaw to Rochdale section provides a link into the heavy rail network for the smaller communities along its route as the original rail service did. More recently the East Manchester Line has provided an alternative link up to Ashton from Clayton and Droylsden which seems to be well used.

To get back to the main point though 2CC as you say is about increasing capacity and providing diversity during service perturbations. Yes Deansgate could have been used but given the amount of road traffic using it I doubt it would have done much for reliability. Alternative routes would have been needed for all that traffic. Corporation Street Cross Street are relatively quiet in comparison. The route down to Deansgate from the viaduct would have been expensive as well although obviously the closer to Cornbrook the new route leaves the existing the better for capacity. I am also aware that various studies were done to find routes into Victoria from Deansgate many of which would have a a serious impact on access to Victoria concourse for passengers.

As you imply the resulting 2CC which is about to start construction is about living within the resources available which will always be a compromise.

Manchester77 liked this post
Freel07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:01 PM   #384
Freel07

Rochdale Town Centre

I decided to brave the rain and take the bus up to Rochdale yesterday afternoon to have a look at the new Interchange and see if there was any testing in progress having seen a news item on British Trams Online about it.

At the station tramstop 3 trams waiting ready to go.

image hosted on flickr

P1030543 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030546 by sghyde, on Flickr

No signs of any drivers though. So what to do, should I hang around or walk straight down to the Interchange.

I decided to get a cuppa in the little cafe on the station in the hope that on my return there might be signs of action.

My patience was rewarded! A fourth tram, 3075, appears and a whole gaggle of Hi-Vis get off. Obviously been down in the town centre for lunch.

image hosted on flickr

P1030549 by sghyde, on Flickr

3071 sets off up High Level Road, me thinking it was off to Milnrow to reverse on the crossover.

image hosted on flickr

P1030556 by sghyde, on Flickr

I wanted some shots of it returning down the correct track and expected to have time to have a wander along Maclure Road.

3076 caught me out by leaving for the Interchange whilst my back was turned!

image hosted on flickr

P1030562 by sghyde, on Flickr

And 3006 did similar the other way.

image hosted on flickr

P1030563 by sghyde, on Flickr

But then I noticed 3076 had already returned, they were turning on bridge over Oldham Road! I managed to get my shots as 3006 returned.

image hosted on flickr

P1030564 by sghyde, on Flickr

I intended to get the bus from the Interchange so walked over to Wet Rake and behold a tram, 3076, climbing Drake Street.

image hosted on flickr

P1030578 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030581 by sghyde, on Flickr

And another, this time 3047 which must have been hiding down on Smith Street.

image hosted on flickr

P1030583 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030585 by sghyde, on Flickr

Yet another soaking before 3071 appears at the aptly named Wet Rake.

image hosted on flickr

P1030590 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030594 by sghyde, on Flickr

Followed fairly quickly by 3006.

image hosted on flickr

P1030596 by sghyde, on Flickr

Is the tram stopping at the bus stop

image hosted on flickr

P1030599 by sghyde, on Flickr

Now on Drake Street 3006 had to wait for 3071 to leave the single track. Don't the trams look large against the narrow street and 2 storey buildings.

image hosted on flickr

P1030602 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030603 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030607 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030609 by sghyde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P1030613 by sghyde, on Flickr

Nowax, kyah117, MarkO, geometarkv liked this post
Old January 27th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #385
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Today, the new Metrolink service through Oldham is officially opened Photo from TfGM's Twitter page:

Freel07, MarkO, r02bapurdie, Phreud, geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #386
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Today, the new Metrolink service through Oldham is officially opened Photo from TfGM's Twitter page:
Great photo thanks for finding it and posting.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old January 28th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #387
dimlys1994

Updated Metrolink tram section on urbanrail.net. Old section disappeared:

MarkO, Freel07, JackClare, geometarkv liked this post
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #388
dimlys1994

Official from TfGM:

Quote:
http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_...?articleId=390

Time to give Victoria a makeover fit for a queen
06 February 2014

Work on a major, multi-million pound transformation of the Manchester Victoria Metrolink stop is set to start on Friday, 21 February.

The nine-month project will see the stop completely redesigned and expanded to provide additional platforms and tracks, accommodating the new Second City Crossing and wider network expansion – in conjunction with the transformation of the railway station by Network Rail.

As a result of this work there will also be temporary changes to Metrolink services for the duration of the project.

The very first stage of work – from Friday 21 February to Sunday 23 February* – will see Metrolink services replaced with buses from Abraham Moss on the Bury line to the city centre and from Central Park on the Oldham-Rochdale line to the city centre.

Altrincham, Ashton, East Didsbury and Eccles services will run via Piccadilly.

Then, from Monday 24 February** onwards, trams will have to pass through Victoria in both directions on a single line of track. In order to safely maximise the number of trams that can run on the single line the stop will be temporarily closed to passengers.

Instead, passengers will be asked to use Shudehill, the next city centre stop along and just a short walk for connections with Victoria’s rail services and the Phones 4u arena.

Metrolink services will also change for the duration of the work:
  • • Every Bury to Altrincham service will be served by double trams from start to end of service – boosting capacity at the busiest times.
  • • A shuttle tram will run between Bury and Abraham Moss every 12 minutes, catering for approximately a third of all journeys made on this line. As a result, passengers travelling to stops between Bury and Abraham Moss should board the dedicated shuttle service, to ensure there is as much room as possible for city-bound passengers travelling in the busy morning and evening peaks.
  • • Instead of running to and from Bury, Ashton line services will run to Eccles via Piccadilly every 12 minutes. Rochdale and East Didsbury services will still run every 12 minutes but will not call or stop at Victoria.
  • • Customers travelling between Victoria and Piccadilly rail stations can either use the free city centre Metroshuttle bus service (changing between Service 1 and 2) or alight at Market Street and walk to the Piccadilly Gardens stop (and vice versa) to complete their journey by tram.

A comprehensive public information campaign will launch in the coming weeks to support passengers through the changes and to keep people up to date with the latest developments.

Peter Cushing, TfGM’s Metrolink Director, said: “The Victoria project is incredibly exciting, it complements the wider transformation of the station but also plays an essential part of Metrolink’s Second City Crossing development and on-going expansion of the network.

“To ensure this is done in a safe manner, we have to run on a single line of track. Currently, 15 trams an hour call at Victoria in each direction – that’s 30 overall, which simply cannot be sustained when we’re running on just a single line.

“So we’re temporarily closing the stop and asking people to use the nearby Shudehill stop instead. We’re also making changes to services on the Bury line, which will be supported by running double trams on every service from Bury to Altrincham via the city.

“We’ve considered these changes very carefully and they will provide customers with the most effective, safest and least disruptive option. They also mirror demand we’ve monitored on the network.”

Additional signage and ticket vending facilities will be provided at Shudehill, and Metrolink staff will be on hand during the busiest times. Additional measures will also be put in place to cater for demand during events at the nearby arena.

*Metrolink services Friday 21 February to Sunday 23 February (inclusive):
  • • Eccles to Ashton via MediaCityUK (every 12 minutes)
  • • East Didsbury to Piccadilly (every 12 minutes)
  • • Altrincham to Piccadilly (every six minutes - every 12 minutes on Sunday 23rd)
  • • Bury to Abraham Moss (every six minutes - every 12 minutes on Sunday 23rd) – a replacement bus service will operate from Crumpsall to Shudehill and Piccadilly
  • • Rochdale to Central Park (every 12 minutes) – a replacement bus service will operate from Central Park to Shudehill and Piccadilly

**Metrolink changes from Monday 24 February for circa nine months:
  • • Manchester Victoria stop – temporarily closed until further notice; please use the Shudehill stop instead
  • • Bury to Altrincham, via St Peter’s Square (every 12 minutes Mon-Sat) – increased capacity with double trams from start to end of service
  • • Bury to Abraham Moss shuttle tram (every 12 minutes Mon-Sat) - catering for approximately a third of all journeys made on this line
  • • Ashton to Eccles, via Piccadilly (every 12 minutes)

There are no Bury-to-Altrincham direct Metrolink services on Sundays. Instead, all Bury and Altrincham services run to/from Piccadilly​ and this will continue to be the case throughout the Victoria project.

geometarkv liked this post
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:38 AM   #389
dan72
Rai

Likes (Received): 23

What sort of gradient are those trams running up in the street?
dan72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #390
JackClare
Trainz Route builder

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan72 View Post
What sort of gradient are those trams running up in the street?
I think the maximum they can take is about 9% (1 in 10)
JackClare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #391
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackClare View Post
I think the maximum they can take is about 9% (1 in 10)
The maximum for either T68 ( academic now) or M5000 is 6% around 1 in 16.
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #392
JackClare
Trainz Route builder

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freel07 View Post
The maximum for either T68 ( academic now) or M5000 is 6% around 1 in 16.
6%?! That sounds crazy! Not that I'm doubting your expertise Freel, that just seems mad considering the amount of times I heard the sander activate this evening even just leaving Mumps towards Central

I'm assuming that 6% is under absolutely perfect conditions, i.e. no water on the railhead at all?

Edit: Oh f*ck, I just realised what I said. I read 6% as being steeper than 9%. I hadn't even had a drink, bloody hell

Freel07 liked this post

Last edited by JackClare; February 19th, 2014 at 12:43 PM.
JackClare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 01:41 AM   #393
nanar
nanar

Likes (Received): 1517

Realy ?? So, what you'll do when raining ? Would you stop the tram ?
It's UK, you know , not Tunisia or Egypt.

Découvrez les sites darly.org & lyonmetro.org
"Si vous ne considérez pas le vélo urbain comme une partie de la solution aux problèmes de déplacement dans les villes, vous êtes une partie du problème".
nanar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #394
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanar View Post
Realy ?? So, what you'll do when raining ? Would you stop the tram ?
It's UK, you know , not Tunisia or Egypt.
It's worse than that, this is Manchester we're talking about. Rain is the norm.

Derek
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:51 PM   #395
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackClare View Post
6%?! That sounds crazy! Not that I'm doubting your expertise Freel, that just seems mad considering the amount of times I heard the sander activate this evening even just leaving Mumps towards Central

I'm assuming that 6% is under absolutely perfect conditions, i.e. no water on the railhead at all?

Edit: Oh f*ck, I just realised what I said. I read 6% as being steeper than 9%. I hadn't even had a drink, bloody hell
No problem it took me ages to get my head around gradients measured as a percentage when I was brought up with them in terms of 1 in xxx!

As for the issue of wheelslip as wet rail in heavy rain is often just as good a a perfectly dry one. The worst conditions are a damp greasy rail after a long dry spell or damp rails with leaf mulch around.

The maximum gradient also isn't just about climbing an incline. A number of factors are taken into account. Having the power to ascend is one,another is the ability to stop! In addition a single tram must be able to pull a disabled tram up the maximum gradient and stop and hold one on the same gradient. Sanders are only there to assist when railhead conditions are poor.

Last edited by Freel07; March 1st, 2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:13 AM   #396
dimlys1994

Website of new Metrolink city centre extension:
http://www.transformationinformation.co.uk
Old March 20th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #397
dimlys1994

Today official from TfGM:

Quote:
http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_...?articleId=416

Launch date confirmed for Rochdale's town centre Metrolink line
20 March 2014

Rochdale’s new town centre Metrolink line will open to passengers on Monday 31 March, subject to final testing.

The final stage will start on Thursday 27 March and will see trams running along the route every 12 minutes but out of service, to complete the commissioning of the new infrastructure.

The first in-service tram to leave the new Smith Street stop will depart on the Monday at 5.53am.

The opening of the new line goes hand-in-hand with a multi-million pound regeneration of the town centre that will completely re-shape the Rochdale skyline.

Metrolink passengers will have direct access to local bus services calling at the new state-of-the-art Rochdale Interchange just across the road from the town centre stop while work to remove the former bus station is already well underway.

The new town centre tram stop is directly opposite Number One Riverside – Rochdale’s iconic new library, customer service centre and council offices – and will provide excellent transport links to job and leisure opportunities.

Councillor Andrew Fender Chair of the TfGM Committee, said: “Rochdale town centre is a fantastic new destination for Metrolink passengers and the latest piece in the expansion of the network.

“This new line takes people right into the heart of the town centre at a time when really exciting changes are being made. Metrolink is going hand in hand with the transformation of the area and it’s a great thing to be part of.”

Leader of Rochdale Council, Colin Lambert, said: “The opening of the Metrolink in Rochdale is another huge step forward in the regeneration of Rochdale town centre.

“Along with the proposed £100m retail and family leisure facility and our unrivalled heritage offer it will help turn Rochdale into a popular destination for visitors and better connect us to the rest of the region.”

The town centre line will bring the size of the current Metrolink network to 48.5 miles (78km), serving 77 stops.​
Old March 28th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #398
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 3544

Just sharing this, because I don't think it's been seen on the world forums before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherguevara View Post
Transport for Greater Manchester produced the report above to investigate potential expansions to the network following the current round of extensions. They've identified the following routes for further investigation. All are currently operating heavy rail routes but with at best infrequent and heavily subsidised passenger services; the Hazel Grove route is a freight only route, although this was until the 1960s the Midland Mainline to London. The aim of the tram-train project would be to convert all/most passenger services over to Metrolink operation to increase frequencies and improve access to the city centre from these suburban areas. Patronage on these lines (particularly the inner city sections within the M60 ring road) is currently poor, and it is expected that with frequent light rail services these lines could cover their own costs.

 Manchester – Bredbury – Marple
 Manchester – Glossop
 Manchester – Atherton – Wigan
 Manchester – Sale - Altrincham (already exists as a Metrolink line, but tram-train would add capacity)
 Manchester – East Didsbury – Hazel Grove

These new lines would add 44 new miles to the existing/planned network, which take the network from approximately 60 miles length when the current phase of expansions is completed around 2018 to over 100 miles in length. If completed this will leave only one of the city's 10 metropolitan boroughs (Bolton) with no Metrolink service. A further study has been requested to investigate the possibility of using the railway line between Altrincham and Stockport to provide connections between the City's affluent southern suburbs and its Airport and the adjacent high speed rail station planned to open in 2030.

All a little far in the distance, but an interesting perspective on where the network is going.

Last edited by Cherguevara; March 28th, 2014 at 02:35 AM.
Cherguevara está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 11:10 AM   #399
dimlys1994

So new Rochdale town centre stop is now opened? And could we rename thread as MANCHESTER | Public Transport

geometarkv liked this post
Old April 1st, 2014, 12:35 PM   #400
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8819

Sure.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote