daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #601
WingTips

Likes (Received): 1239

Yes it certainly has been shopping madness this week.
WingTips no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #602
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingTips View Post
Yes it certainly has been shopping madness this week.
And how you celebrated Black Friday?
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #603
WingTips

Stayed well away form the stores

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old November 30th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #604
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Progress in Manchester Victoria station:

Quote:
Originally Posted by r02bapurdie View Post
Here some picture that I took today while I was pasting through Victoria station (Metrolink)

Nothing change on Balloon St.

Work continued to build new Metrolink line and 2CC line at Victoria.

More Overhead poles started popping up at Victoria.

Work going on for new Victoria Metrolink station.

PIDS are now up on Victoria platform.

New shelters on new Victoria Metrolink station.

Overhead poles now got support wires on them.

Couple of picture outside Victoria station.

And First Transpennine express train entering into Victoria station.

WingTips, Swede liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 10:41 AM   #605
WingTips

The photo below gives shows where the new Metrolink stop will be built in Exchange Sq, this taken when the Friday shopping madness was not in full swing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33206hg View Post
Exchange Square
DSCF4939 by d33206hg, on Flickr

St Peters Square
DSCF5075 by d33206hg, on Flickr

This one of St Peters Sq-SPQ where major redevelopment of the stop is taking place..when complete it will see a massive redesign of the whole square, with monuments, road lay out having been moved, incidentally the new cream coloured building on the right of this photograph is nearing completion and is part of this grand plan.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:05 PM   #606
pjm0512
Transport Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingTips View Post
The photo below gives shows where the new Metrolink stop will be built in Exchange Sq, this taken when the Friday shopping madness was not in full swing...

This one of St Peters Sq-SPQ where major redevelopment of the stop is taking place..when complete it will see a massive redesign of the whole square, with monuments, road lay out having been moved, incidentally the new cream coloured building on the right of this photograph is nearing completion and is part of this grand plan.
...and don't forget 2 St. Peter's Square! Behind 1 SPS in this photograph, the 30s building and the row behind, in scaffolding, will be demolished soon.

Co-incidentally, it has been designed by Ian Simpson Architects, who designed the new Deansgate-Castlefield stop!

dimlys1994, WingTips liked this post
pjm0512 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:45 PM   #607
WingTips

Yesterday included a photograph of St Peters Sq in courtesy of d332206hg, given the scale of this development and the effect it will have on the operation of Metrolink in the City Centre I will devote some time now and in the future to keeping this thread up to date with on going construction.

The big difference is that the present two lines running through SPQ will double to four, the two new lines forming part of the Second City Crossing- SCC the original two lines will continue to run their present route with some slight realignment.

Two new Island platforms will serve all four tracks. Work is well underway with as I said earlier Monuments- the Cenotaph, which has already been moved to a new location still with-in the Square but at the opposite end and looks superb in its new surroundings. Major road works are also underway which are set to continue for some time yet. As part of the the SPQ project several ugly office blocks are due for demolition the first ons Elizabeth House has already gone and been replaced by the stunning new office block in yesterdays photographs.

An International Competition was thrown open to redesign SPQ the main brief being it had to be user friendly, this included tram usage, pedestrian friendly, etc etc...

This was the winning design, If memory serves me right there were three finalists and I think we even conducted our own poll on SSC...however enjoy... this is a big big project and one that will certainly improve the Metrolink Experience in City Centre...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Thanks for thta NQ.

Grabbed a few more renders.(1 night time render already posted by NQ)

As I said I will now continue to update this thread as the redevelopment takes place.

dimlys1994, pjm0512, Ashtonian liked this post
Old December 3rd, 2014, 11:47 PM   #608
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Nice progress. BTW, how good is Manchester's bus system?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #609
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8819

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
It always used to be pretty good, and given that car ownership is incredibly low (between 200 and 250 per 1000 in Manchester) it strikes me that it continues to be so. Manchester has one of the busiest bus corridors in Europe - Oxford road. I remember walking down the road and being bowled over by the number of buses.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #610
richardio123
Fantastic User

Likes (Received): 3316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Oxford road. I remember walking down the road and being bowled over by the number of buses.

Yup timetable average of one bus every 30
Seconds but it's usually more than that

Twitter: @rickybates Flickr: Rickybates

WingTips liked this post
richardio123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #611
Ashtonian

Likes (Received): 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
It's extensive but apart from a few places, outside of the City Centre the bus services are not well integrated with trams and trains.

The buses are run by private companies in competition with each other.

WingTips liked this post
Ashtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #612
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtonian View Post
It's extensive but apart from a few places, outside of the City Centre the bus services are not well integrated with trams and trains.

The buses are run by private companies in competition with each other.
Indeed. There needs to be a similar entity as TfL and ticketing system to match for other UK cities otherwise public transport will always be more fragmented in the UK than elsewhere.
Old December 4th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #613
WingTips

Moving out of the City Centre...the end of the Metrolink Line in Altrincham and the newly refurbished Metrolink/Rail/Bus interchange nears completion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard33 View Post
Well, the bus station did not open on Friday 28th Nov, but this morning it looked as though they were putting the finishing touches to it, with just a bit of tidying up still to do. No notices about the opening date yet, though.

The new puffin crossing on Stamford New Road is now operational...

...and the zebra crossings and lane markings on the busways are ready.

The new totems are up:

Inside the building, the seats and signage are installed and the information screens are lit up. It looked like they were doing some final cleaning and polishing.

dimlys1994, lafreak84, Freel07 liked this post
Old December 4th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #614
WingTips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Indeed. There needs to be a similar entity as TfL and ticketing system to match for other UK cities otherwise public transport will always be more fragmented in the UK than elsewhere.
Yes indeed there does..in fact the matter of smart ticketing is once again being discussed on its own thread...http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...011293&page=30

Svartmetall liked this post
Old December 4th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #615
po8crg
Richard

Likes (Received): 489

I believe that the "DevoManc" proposals for the creation of a Greater Manchester mayor will allow TfGM to take over operating the the bus system under a concession model like TfL. The "get me there" card will be operating for trams during 2015 and will be extended to buses and trains during 2016 and 2017; these additional powers will allow TfGM to force bus operators to accept the GMT card, rather than having to negotiate; while they can require them to accept System One (Greater Manchester's travelcard system), they can't require them to accept PAYG credit at present, but the new powers will allow for that.

This will also allow for regulated standardised fares, and a zonal fare model in Manchester, like the one already operating in London - again, things that TfGM does not currently have the power to impose on operators but which it will have under the new devolution model.

Svartmetall, dimlys1994 liked this post
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #616
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by po8crg View Post
I believe that the "DevoManc" proposals for the creation of a Greater Manchester mayor will allow TfGM to take over operating the the bus system under a concession model like TfL. The "get me there" card will be operating for trams during 2015 and will be extended to buses and trains during 2016 and 2017; these additional powers will allow TfGM to force bus operators to accept the GMT card, rather than having to negotiate; while they can require them to accept System One (Greater Manchester's travelcard system), they can't require them to accept PAYG credit at present, but the new powers will allow for that.

This will also allow for regulated standardised fares, and a zonal fare model in Manchester, like the one already operating in London - again, things that TfGM does not currently have the power to impose on operators but which it will have under the new devolution model.
I had read about the creation of TfGM but I didn't know that things have gone so far to ensure integrated and zonal ticketing for Manchester. Not only that, but to decide routings and take better control of transport planning. Manchester really is doing a good job.
Old December 4th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #617
po8crg
Richard

Likes (Received): 489

It's delegated powers from national government to the Greater Manchester Combined Authority to allow Transport for Greater Manchester to do it. Still dependent on actually passing an Act of Parliament and the politicians actually deciding to do it. But we do have an all-party commitment.
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #618
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by po8crg View Post
It's delegated powers from national government to the Greater Manchester Combined Authority to allow Transport for Greater Manchester to do it. Still dependent on actually passing an Act of Parliament and the politicians actually deciding to do it. But we do have an all-party commitment.
Exciting times for you guys then. Tell you what, I'm looking more and more at Manchester as a possibility for the future. If this passes, it'll really sweeten the deal.

But to have such a massive change from the fragmented mess that does plague UK public transport (at least when I grew up there it did anyway) is a godsend.
Old December 5th, 2014, 10:36 AM   #619
WingTips

Update form Victoria Station today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_H1 View Post
Second line is nearly stretching through to its end now. I cant see how much of a gap there is around the bend but it stretches (at least the unbolted rails) under the road bridge to the ballast now.

Work at Victoria continues at pace..

kyah117, Freel07 liked this post
Old December 6th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #620
WingTips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
Well, we'll have to try and fill in the gaps as best we can and offer a skeletal service in the meantime!

I'm not the biggest fan of roadworks and utilidiversions (not very photogenic) but this current pic gives an idea of what they're up against (and also why they had to move St Peter's Cross out the way) :-

SPS Update

dimlys1994, Freel07 liked this post