daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2015, 08:58 PM   #721
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Official from TfGM:

Quote:
http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_...?articleId=610

Leigh boundary stone makes its way home
21 January 2015

A historic boundary stone dating back to 1857 is due to be reinstated in Leigh after it was unearthed last year.

As work draws to a close on the Leigh town centre bus priority improvement works, both Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) and Wigan Council have agreed to give the stone a new lease of life and restore it back to Leigh.

The stone, which marks the old parish boundary between Pennington and Bedford, was discovered by a member of the public who spotted it lying on the ground during construction work on Clare House Medical Centre in Ince.

The local resident informed Avis Freeman MBE, a member of Leigh Soroptimists for more than 30 years, who passed on the good news to Councillor Myra Whiteside and started the process of getting the boundary stone reinstated.

Its discovery, almost six miles from Leigh, provided an opportunity to restore the landmark piece back to its former glory and take it to its rightful home next to the busway route.

The Leigh town centre scheme straddles the old parish boundary so a suitable spot has been found for it next to The Arches Car Park

WingTips liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #722
po8crg
Richard

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puss in Boots View Post
I am looking at a Tram map for Greater Manchester. Are there really so few stops within the actual city? In what is called City Zone I saw only 7 stops, St.Peter's Square being the largest by number of lines (5).
The city centre is really not all that big. There is one more stop (Exchange Square) under construction, but few parts of the centre are not covered.

The only places I might add one are Spinningfields, the Northern Quarter and Oxford Road, but all three are within five minutes' walk of an existing stop.

dimlys1994, Freel07 liked this post
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 01:04 PM   #723
WingTips

Likes (Received): 1239

Too add to the above, there are also the three free Metro Buses that link 90% of the City Centre....

http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning...huttle-Map.pdf

Freel07 liked this post
WingTips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #724
dimlys1994

More tram pics for fun:

Quote:
Originally Posted by r02bapurdie View Post
Sadly tram took me surprise to get picture of tram saying "Etihad Stadium via Piccadilly" at Freehold stop but here is 3033 tram saying that destination at Shudehill stop.

I don't think you can see 1003 tram in this picture.

3013 tram with "Tram on test" at Queens Road depot.

As you can see it hard to take picture of this tram while you are on tram yourself.

Probably last time I see this destination.

PIDS are Bury stop are on. (well one)

I took picture of work going on at Victoria stop but I posted them on Victoria and Extension threads.

WingTips liked this post
Old January 24th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #725
WingTips

Thank you rO2 for the photos.

dimlys1994, r02bapurdie liked this post
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:46 AM   #726
dimlys1994

More on Victoria:

Quote:
Here some picture that I took today while I was pasting through Victoria station. (Sorry they don't that great as Freel and Johnny pictures on Monday)

Couple of thing different near Cheetham hill road bridge, tracks now sticks out more and seen they put small bit of wires up underneath bridge.

Entry into Victoria station and don't look any different to last time I took picture here.

Again not must different to new Victoria station.

Aleast they stating building new line here.

And probably before 14th Feb tracks may have reach here.

Nice to see overhead poles outside Victoria station.

Nice to them going on with Second City line.

WingTips liked this post
Old January 25th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #727
WingTips

So now we have got some smart looking trains all ready and waiting to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_H1 View Post

Now all we need is the electric to make them go.These are some of the refurbished electric trains that will be plying the Manchester-Liverpool route.

r02bapurdie, dimlys1994, js1000 liked this post
Old January 25th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #728
r02bapurdie
Andrew

Likes (Received): 4496

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingTips View Post
Thank you r02 for the photos.
And thank you Wingtips and dimlys1994 for uploading my picture onto this thread.

Here some more picture of work going on at Manchester Victoria that I took today.

I guess work on Balloon St will started from 14th Feb when line between Victoria and Piccadilly Gardens is closed for week.

Nice to see progress on 2CC line have reach near to 1CC line.

Work going on outside Victoria station.

Roof will look nice once it finish and tram station is complete too.

Looking at new Victoria tram stop.

Nice to see them started rebuilding line through Victoria station.

From what I seen at Victoria station today it look like line that near to platform 1 will be complete after 21st Feb as still seen to be more work needed to be done on this platform then one that look near to complete.

Could it be possible that once Victoria stop reopening on 18th and 21st Feb that they only use this size of platform and use platform later in year?

4,000 likes achieve on 2nd January 2017

Thanks to everyone who liked my posts. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/
r02bapurdie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #729
dimlys1994

More for fun:

Quote:
Finally got picture of tram saying "Etihad Campus via Piccadilly" at Freehold stop today.

This is probably old news but I like have they put all these maps up on every Metrolink station now.

PIDS on ORL have been saying "Piccadilly" on them but I notice in city centre it said "Etihad Campus"

As D33 show us 3076 were running on Rochdale and Etihad service again today as well as 3073 as I catch this tram coming home.

Also took picture at Victoria but I posted them on Victoria or Extension thread

WingTips liked this post
Old January 26th, 2015, 10:33 AM   #730
WingTips

Metrolink Mix...

JRB gives us a Metrolink update mainly centered on the 2CC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Taken today.

This whole section of the 2CC as far the new Exchange Sq stop is proceeding really well, and could possibly br open in a advance of the original date.

Sangnaris, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old January 26th, 2015, 09:28 PM   #731
dimlys1994

More on 2CC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
And a few more for luck mateys! :-

Nowax liked this post
Old January 26th, 2015, 09:40 PM   #732
dimlys1994

More on Deansgate-Castlefield stop upgrade:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j616s View Post
DC Update.

Old outbound platform gone. New going in.

In this one, just to the left of the pole to the left of the tram, you can see an orange bag peaking out that is covering a new signal.

A further bagged signal can be seen here to the right of the "buy your ticket" sign and a further (not visible) is in the distance by the central -> outbound crossover.

Powered points machine in place on the outbound->central crossover at the city end.

Bonus pic from Saturday of the crains I'm guessing were being used to lift the concrete blocks for the platform onto the rail trailer for transport to the other end of site.
Old January 26th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #733
dimlys1994

Video about rebuilding of Farnworth tunnel in Manchester, part of electrification project:

WingTips liked this post
Old January 27th, 2015, 01:04 AM   #734
Yak79

Likes (Received): 2176

There's one thing about the 2CC project I'm really puzzled by: why did they not eliminate the whole bottleneck from Cornbrook to Victoria?
As far as I understood, only the “on street” section is regarded as critical, having a lower practical capacity (TfGM estimates the maximum throughput is around 25 tph): on account of this, they seen the new Deansgate-Castlefield stop as an adequate improvement for the portion from Cornbrook stop up to Manchester Central (because it follows a segregated ROW); but there's still the short stretch in Lower Mosley St. which will stay on two track after the project completion, plus the odd choice of having only three track outgoing from Victoria stop, before the two route divergence.
At first sight, you should think that this way the 2CC will increase the system coverage of central Manchester, but won't relieve the congestion, failing one of its two major aims. Is this true? What's it I'm missing?

-
- Primo Levi, Se questo č un uomo -
Yak79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #735
Altfish
Mike

Likes (Received): 2124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak79 View Post
There's one thing about the 2CC project I'm really puzzled by: why did they not eliminate the whole bottleneck from Cornbrook to Victoria?
As far as I understood, only the “on street” section is regarded as critical, having a lower practical capacity (TfGM estimates the maximum throughput is around 25 tph): on account of this, they seen the new Deansgate-Castlefield stop as an adequate improvement for the portion from Cornbrook stop up to Manchester Central (because it follows a segregated ROW); but there's still the short stretch in Lower Mosley St. which will stay on two track after the project completion, plus the odd choice of having only three track outgoing from Victoria stop, before the two route divergence.
At first sight, you should think that this way the 2CC will increase the system coverage of central Manchester, but won't relieve the congestion, failing one of its two major aims. Is this true? What's it I'm missing?
I had the same concerns, but we are told that with line of sight running (ie nor relying on signals) combined with additional platforms it will work.
It is amazing how close together the trams travel in the city centre; they are like cars. one following another and the hold ups happen at the stations because of lack of platform space.

dimlys1994, Yak79 liked this post
Altfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #736
nerd

Likes (Received): 1880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altfish View Post
I had the same concerns, but we are told that with line of sight running (ie nor relying on signals) combined with additional platforms it will work.
It is amazing how close together the trams travel in the city centre; they are like cars. one following another and the hold ups happen at the stations because of lack of platform space.
Indeed, Altfish;

- plus, there will be three tracks on Lower Mosley Street, alongside the Midland Hotel. So, when the lights on Oxford Street are against them, trams towards Piccadilly and trams towards Victoria (via 2CC) can line up side-by-side.
nerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #737
dimlys1994

Replacement of Oldfield Road bridge in Salford, part of electrification of Manchester-Preston line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinityboy View Post
I could see they were busy over the weekend with two big cranes lifting out the old bridge. Could see the cranes from home, and have seen a few pictures on NR's Twitter feed but haven't been up to see any of the works. I was very pleased with the view from the temporary pedestrian bridge.

WingTips, Freel07, lafreak84 liked this post
Old January 27th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #738
Yak79

Likes (Received): 2176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altfish View Post
Thank you so much for your answer.
Their reply to our concerns doesn't make much sense: driving “on sight” means more time between consecutive trams, so isn't good in capacity terms (obviously, it's a given when you have to deal with other traffic components - pedestrians, cycle, car, buses). The 2CC will definitely increase system performances, since we'll have an almost complete track doubling in the on street section and that short residual narrowing in Lower Mosley St. could be easily forced over the “25 tph” limit, but nevertheless it should have been better if they had done it completely, mainly because there's no obvious reason to not do so (or at least I don't see this reason).

Does someone know (officially or not) how the future city centre lines pattern will be? Will trams from Deansgate/Castlefield to Victoria (and vice versa) be all rerouted via 2CC, or will some continue to share the current path with Piccadilly trams?

-
- Primo Levi, Se questo č un uomo -

dimlys1994 liked this post
Yak79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 09:10 PM   #739
Altfish
Mike

Likes (Received): 2124

The line of sight driving means the opposite to what you think, I can assure you that they currently drive within yards of each other through the streets. We are not talking of fast speeds on street running so it is possible. You certainly can get more trams through a section than you'd ever be able to do by signalling.

Re routing when 2CC is complete. 1CC and 2CC will both be used.
1CC will take all Ashton-U-Lyne and Piccadilly trams, possibly others too.
2CC will definitely take Shaw to Exchange Sq. and Airport to Victoria.

I'm not sure which way E Didsbury to Rochdale and Altrincham to Bury will go. To my mind it would make sense for the former to go via 1CC and the latter via 2CC
Altfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #740
dimlys1994

Official from TfGM:

Quote:
http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_...?articleId=613

First successful in bid to operate flagship busway services
27 January 2015

Visual of busway services calling at the Sale Lane stop in Tyldesley.
Bus operator First has been successful in winning the contract to operate services on a new flagship bus priority route between Leigh, Salford and Manchester – including the region’s first guided busway.

Following a comprehensive procurement process, First has been selected by Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) to run the high frequency busway services, which will start later this year.

The 14-mile route will link communities in Leigh, Atherton, Tyldesley and Salford to Manchester city centre and through to the universities, Central Manchester Hospital site and businesses along Oxford Road

WingTips, lafreak84 liked this post