daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2015, 06:10 PM   #1021
Freel07

Likes (Received): 15116

In St Peters Square work is progressing in the tarmac area with cable ducts being laid.

P1110715 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110716 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

This would appear to be the line of the inbound island platform or perhaps more likely the line of the 2CC inbound track..

P1110717 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

1CC outbound track foundation trench

P1110719 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110720 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

WingTips, dimlys1994 liked this post
Freel07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:32 PM   #1022
WingTips

Likes (Received): 1241

Victoria by Night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_H1 View Post
Me again

A few from early this morning

You cannot deny the station rebuild is nothing short of incredible especially so at the night time! Phone camera does not really do it justice I am afraid!

Compare and contrast from my night shifts over the years

Freel07, dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by WingTips; May 13th, 2015 at 06:40 PM.
WingTips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #1023
WingTips

More Night time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j616s View Post
Passed through on the way home today. The station really does look lovely at night.

New signage

Louvres going in

And pictures can't capture the sharp yet soft lights along the old roof-line. I can't wait for the finishing touches and the fencing to come down.

Freel07, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old May 15th, 2015, 10:33 AM   #1024
WingTips

Electrification North West...

The Electrification project continues at pace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
OHLE bases are now popping up lineside North of Bolton. This one is near Horwich, Rivington Pike in the background :-

Moses Gate is now closed for the duration :-

And the Farnworth platform is meeting its fate :-

dimlys1994, Freel07 liked this post
Old May 16th, 2015, 11:59 AM   #1025
WingTips

SPECTACULAR CELEBRATIONS MARK FOUR MILLIONTH X50 CUSTOMER

Leading local bus operator, Stagecoach Manchester, held a surprise celebration yesterday to mark the arrival of the four millionth customer to use the hugely popular X50 service.

As Bako Noori, 20, exited the X50 service at the intu Trafford Centre, he was greeted by a live fanfare, confetti canons, baton twirlers, balloons and banners.

Manchester born Bako, was also presented with a £200 voucher, which he can spend in any Trafford Centre store, by Stagecoach Manchester managing director, Christopher Bowles, and intu Properties general manager, Richard Paxton.

First launched in 2009, the X50 route, which travels from Manchester City Centre to the intu Trafford Centre, has become one of Stagecoach Manchester’s most popular services. It carried over 13,000 customers in its first month of service, a figure which increased to 695,000 passengers last month. The service now carries more than twice the number of passengers than in its first full year.

Speaking about the surprise event, Bako said: “I always take the X50 service to get to the Trafford Centre but I didn’t think I would ever step off the bus to scenes like these. I am grateful to Stagecoach Manchester and the Trafford Centre for giving me £200 worth of vouchers and now I just have to decide what I’m going to spend them on.”

Stagecoach Manchester’s managing director, Christopher Bowles commented: “Today’s event was the perfect way for Stagecoach Manchester to celebrate such a huge milestone in the life of the X50 service and reward one lucky passenger for their custom. From a personal point of view, I’m proud to say this hugely important service has enabled four million people to travel between central Manchester and the intu Trafford Centre.”

intu Properties general manager, Richard Paxton said: “We were delighted to celebrate the success of the X50 express service, because it is an integral part of our public transport strategy. The speed of this service makes it so convenient. Twenty short minutes from the City Centre and passengers can alight at one of the country’s best tourist destinations – and people have done exactly that in their millions.”

The event not only celebrated the arrival of the four millionth X50 customer, but also marked the launch of Stagecoach Manchester’s #MyGreaterManchester social media campaign.

With Stagecoach Manchester at the heart of the community #MyGreaterManchester has been designed to encourage people to share what they love about Greater Manchester, why they’re proud to live in the area and to highlight local events,

Christopher Bowles added: “I’m looking forward to the #MyGreaterManchester hashtag becoming a social hub of regional activity and being used to share events, like this milestone today, across social media.”

https://www.stagecoachbus.com
Old May 17th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #1026
WingTips

Smart Ticketing News...

Quote:
I don't know if this has been noted yet but a friend pointed out to me today that the get me there website has been updated to say that all versions of the pass will arrive at once in spring/summer as opposed to a phased introduction with season tickets first. Nice to know they're emailing updates like they said they would.....
The next stage of get me there is currently being tested and should be ready to be introduced to paying Metrolink customers in stages during spring and summer 2015.

Unlike other smart ticketing systems across the UK, we will be introducing travelcards and travel credit at the same time, making the system accessible to more Metrolink users sooner. This will also make the system more flexible for Metrolink season ticket holders.
Old May 17th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #1027
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

Abandoned platform at Salford Central station, before the begining of Ordsall Curve construction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
So there're two faces in use now, and then another two disused which can be seen from the used side of the station:

WingTips, Freel07 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #1028
dimlys1994

More on Deansgate Castlefield stop:

Quote:
Quick DC Update

The drivers' hut has been craned into place.

The first section of fencing has gone in by the road-ramp.

And some lighting has gone on at the outbound end of the new outbound platform.

WingTips liked this post
Old May 17th, 2015, 01:09 PM   #1029
dimlys1994

More on Victoria station:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markydeedrop View Post

Old May 17th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #1030
dimlys1994

Commuter rail changes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF07 View Post
With the new Todmorden Curve railway line now open, Burnley now has a direct train service to Manchester. As a result, Transdev are trying to keep passengers on the X43 service instead of the train with a bit of marketing.

Tomorrow morning (18 May), Transdev will be at Burnley bus station handing out free copies of the Lancashire Telegraph along with a free cup of coffee in a Witch Way mug. They've also reduced the price of the Duo ticket to/from Manchester from £15 to £12.

Transdev also pointing out that their service will be more frequent than Northern Rail (up to every 10 mins on bus compared to hourly train service) and cheaper too (£33 for weekly ticket on bus (valid on whole Transdev Lancashire network) compared to £44 on train).

http://www.lancashirebus.co.uk/news.jsp?newsID=1413
http://www.lancashirebus.co.uk/offers.html?offerID=12
http://www.northernrail.org/todmorden-curve
http://www.northernrail.org/pdfs/tim...0150517/36.pdf
Old May 18th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #1031
WingTips

"Changes to services from end-June as work starts on new look St Peter’s Square"...

Quote:
Major transformation work is due to start at St Peter’s Square Metrolink stop next month.

During the first phase of work from Sunday 28 June until the end of August, no tram services will run through the square.

Altrincham, East Didsbury, Manchester Airport, Eccles and MediaCityUK services will run to Cornbrook and Deansgate-Castlefield stops, while Bury and Oldham and Rochdale services will run to Piccadilly, Victoria and Ashton-under-Lyne.
The following services will run during this period:

· Altrincham to Deansgate-Castlefield: 12 minute service with double trams.

· Altrincham to Cornbrook: Peak only 12 minute service with single trams.

· Bury to Piccadilly: 6 minute service (7am to 8pm Mon-Fri, 9am – 8pm Sat) and 12 minutes at all other times. Some double trams will run during weekday peak.

· East Didsbury to Deansgate-Castlefield: 12 minute service with double trams in the peak.

· Eccles to Deansgate-Castlefield via MediaCityUK: 12 minute service with double trams.

· Manchester Airport to Cornbrook: 12 minute service with single trams.

· Rochdale town centre to Ashton-under-Lyne: 12 minute service with single trams.

To offer good access to the city a Metrolink shuttle bus will run from the Cornbrook stop direct to Piccadilly, while passengers will also be able to catch free Metroshuttle bus services at Deansgate-Castlefield. Walking routes will also be signposted.

The summer closure is the start of a major 14 month construction programme that will see a brand new, expanded stop built closer to the new Cenotaph.

The stop will have two new island style platforms and two sets of track in each direction, allowing more services to run through it on the existing lines and the new Second City Crossing. More information is available at www.transformationinformation.co.uk.

The construction programme has been designed to lessen the impact on passengers as far as possible.

The first phase of works through to the end of August 2015 will see changes to track and infrastructure so that trams can continue to run through St Peter’s Square in both directions on a single line for the ten month construction period – even as works for the new stop take place nearby.

A final eight-week closure will follow in summer 2016 before the St Peter’s Square services reopen in the autumn. The Second City Crossing route is expected to open in 2017.

Thank you for your patience as this essential work to expand and improve your Metrolink network takes place. Please continue to check www.metrolink.co.uk for updates on services
http://www.metrolink.co.uk

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old May 18th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #1032
WingTips

And the completed St Peters Square Metrolink stop will look like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Some bigger renders.

New images of the St Peter's square stop. Also shows how No2 St Peter's square will look alongside it.

dimlys1994, lechevallierpatrick liked this post
Old May 19th, 2015, 11:39 AM   #1033
WingTips

"Northern Rail's Burnley-Manchester service up and running"...

Quote:
There was a busy start to the first commuter services between Burnley, Accrington and Manchester for more than 40 years this morning.

The new service began on Sunday with free refreshments and goodie bags offered by operator Northern Rail. The first commuter services on Monday morning attracted strong passenger interest and media for the 52 minute ride from Burnley Manchester Road station to Manchester Victoria. The service will run every hour and costs £12.30 for a peak return from Burnley to Manchester.

Burnley Council, Network Rail, Lancashire County Council and Northern Rail spent a decade planning the reopening of the Todmorden Curve, a short stretch of line which closed in 1972, meaning passengers no longer have to change at Hebden Bridge as previously. The scheme was part-funded from the government's Regional Growth Fund.

Cllr John Fillis, Lancashire County Council cabinet member for highways and transport, said: "It is a fantastic achievement by everyone involved to re-establish the direct service from Burnley to Manchester which will extend opportunities for local people and have a real impact on the economy. It shows what can be achieved when partner organisations are clear about their priorities and work closely together to deliver them. The working relationships established will be instrumental in the ongoing transformation of rail services in East Lancashire. I look forward to the service being a great success, paving the way for better trains and faster journey times in the future."

Cllr Mark Townsend, leader of Burnley Council, said: ''[The service] will bring clear benefits to our economy in terms of access to the job market and establishing Burnley as a commuter town. Our outstanding countryside is even easier to reach for visitors. It's a real milestone in our continuing success story and one we wish to celebrate."

Terry Strickland, area director for Network Rail, said: "The reopened Todmorden Curve is a significant improvement to the railway in this part of the country and will allow services to run directly between Manchester Victoria and Burnley Manchester Road for the first time since the 1960s. We have worked closely with Burnley Council, Lancashire County Council and Northern Rail to make this happen and it is an excellent example of partnership working to help deliver a better railway for passengers."
- See more at: http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk

Old May 19th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #1034
WingTips

Quote:
Quick DC Update...

Work is continuing on the ramp and more lighting has gone in.

You can just see between the worker and the scaffold platform that stone is starting to go down on the ramp.

As has been mentioned on the Deansgate Station thread, scaffold has gone up around the roof of the drivers' hut.

The fencing at this end of the island has been replaced with less heavy-duty stuff. Unsure if this is indication that the crossing will be back in use and the new platform open sooner rather than later.

Old May 20th, 2015, 02:37 PM   #1035
WingTips

JDR`s Update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
A smidgeon more rail at Exchange in the rain . . .

. . . and in the sun :-

Yes I think it'll be lucky to be open by the end of the year. The testing/training normally takes a few months, but being such a short section I am guessing it will be much quicker this time?

We just had the longest section ever to open in one go - next we'll have the shortest. Are we getting up at 4am just for the first one on that little bit!?

And speaking of longest things - during the coming blockade of St Peter's I reckon the unlikely anabasis of Rochdale<>Oldham<>Mcr<>Droylsden<>Ashton will give the longest single passenger journey yet experienced on Metrolink: 85 minutes end-to-end as opposed to the current record, Rochdale<>E Dids at 79 minutes.

Some interesting new connections will also be provided: as a fairly regular visitor to Oldham I will now be able to go straight through from Droylsden - (Unless contradicted I don't think there has ever before been a bus or other link between these two places?).

Old May 21st, 2015, 07:40 PM   #1036
WingTips

Victoria...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukeAbides View Post
Taken Yesterday (20/05/2015)

Final bits of bubble wrap being installed...

WP_20150520_001 by DaDukeAbides, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearOfManchester View Post
To complement dukes picture and so everyone is aware who wasn't,
the corners of the gable ends of the roof are being clad with panelling rather than EFTE,
I believe TonyH1 confirmed this in a post on this thread quite a while back. Here's a render that shows what it will be like. (Apologies for the large image size)

Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:22 AM   #1037
Freel07

A few shots taken yesterday afternoon along the 2CC sections currently under construction.

At the Victoria end surfacing continues at the junction between Corporation Street and Balloon Street although there is till that strange blck top gap in the 2CC track on the corner by City Buildings.

P1110793 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110794 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110802 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Tracklaying continues between Withy Grove and Balloon Street.

P1110796 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110797 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Preparation of the foundation base for both lines in progress around the Withy Grove junction.

P1110799 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110800 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Facing Exchange Square more track in place since my last visit, the rails extend almost from Withy Grove to the far end of the platform base.

P1110803 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110806 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110807 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The platform foundation definitely seems different to the rest of the Phase 3A/B ones.

P1110808 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The alignment of the track between Exchange Square platform and Market Street is becoming clear now.

P1110810 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110813 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110815 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Over in St Peters Square work continues on preparing for the shutdown and construction of the track needed for single line working.

On the Town Hall side of the square some work on preparing the ground.

P1110818 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

More significantly on the church site track foundations are appearing over the concrete slab capping the crypt.

P1110819 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110821 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

and in the distance at the Oxford Street end the first set of points laid out.

P1110820 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

I suspect these are only in place temporarily as there is no reinforcement laid out yet. Although I suppose it could be inserted under the sections once they are in the right positions.

P1110825 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110826 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Across on Lower Mosley Street work on the outbound line continues

P1110828 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

with some sections of rail appearing now. when I took these around 3.15 they were working setting the rails out and by the time I passed by on the tram in the evening around 7.30 almost all of this stretch were in place.

P1110829 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110830 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110831 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110832 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:23 AM   #1038
Freel07

A small selection of shots from Victoria yesterday afternoon. Nothing spectacular just general observations.

The louvres under the edge of the roof seem to be pretty much complete now.

P1110753 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110761 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110780 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Still finishing work on the second island.

P1110754 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110769 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The end 'gable' has gained parts of the ETFE with the rest perhaps awaiting a Metrolink isolation?

P1110755 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110756 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The combined Metrolink and Network Rail signage, wonder what is planned for the white area on the right.

P1110762 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

This group were from Thales no doubt surveying where TMS kit will be placed.

P1110767 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The glass panels at the interface between the roof and the building, these have been in for a while I think.

P1110778 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Automatic doors are in place now in at least 2 of the 4 entrance arches.

P1110786 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110787 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110789 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Work in progress outside to reinstate the sandstone paving around Long Millgate.

P1110791 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110792 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The mysterious black top gap in the 2CC track.

P1110793 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

WingTips, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:42 PM   #1039
Freel07

Deansgate Castlefield in the sun yesterday afternoon.

Work continues on the new rest room building, I rather hope its not to be clad in rusty corten steel like the equipment room.

P1110835 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110836 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The steps at the Cornbrook end of the new outbound platform have gained their granite veneers.

P1110837 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Although it isn't easy to see the wall behind the steps has now started to be clad in the granite veneers.

P1110843 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110844 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110845 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

Paving of the city end ramp and footways continues.

P1110839 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110840 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1110842 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

WingTips liked this post
Old May 23rd, 2015, 12:30 AM   #1040
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5778

when is the new platform opening at Manchester Airport national rail station?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote